HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
12-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
RA Dickey to the Blue Jays it seems.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ra-dickey.html

Arencibia + is what I'm guessing is going the other way.

Quote:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Orioles and rangers don't seem in middle of dickey talks at moment. As said, blue jays are frontrunners
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
RA Dickey to the Blue Jays it seems.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ra-dickey.html

Arencibia + is what I'm guessing is going the other way.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS
Gose? Stroman??

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:15 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
They signed David Ross, pretty good signing too.
Thank you...Some know-it-alls are just too busy being infatuated with themselves to do a simple google search

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Trading Dickey to the Blue Jays for any package short of Gose and D'Arnaud is not good.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Thank you...Some know-it-alls are just too busy being infatuated with themselves to do a simple google search
Yeah, I was thinking Cody Ross, who is still unsigned. Didn't think there could possibly be another Ross. My bad.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Trading Dickey to the Blue Jays for any package short of Gose and D'Arnaud is not good.
Respectfully, there's just no way that happens unless there are more players involved on the Mets side. Jays were hesitant to deal those 2 for Latos last year, I doubt Dicky would get the same package.

What's the story on Ike Davis?

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I want nothing less than Ryan Thompson for Dickey.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Gose I can see, but D'Arnaud is wishful thinking. He is the best catching prospect in the game. And with Anthopolous's trading history, the Jays will probably get RA on their own terms.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Respectfully, there's just no way that happens unless there are more players involved on the Mets side. Jays were hesitant to deal those 2 for Latos last year, I doubt Dicky would get the same package.

What's the story on Ike Davis?
The story on Ike is he's not available.

12-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The story on Ike is he's not available.
Good to know.

There's a deal to be made here, just a matter of give and take. Something the NHL players and owners know nothing about.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:03 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Gose I can see, but D'Arnaud is wishful thinking. He is the best catching prospect in the game. And with Anthopolous's trading history, the Jays will probably get RA on their own terms.
Is Gose really anything special? I know about the speed but not much else about him. And I know he wasn't exactly anything to write home about in his call up last year.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The Jays are going for it now. Antho is smart but Sandy is no slouch. D'arnaud for Dickey straight up works for both teams- Dickey gives them a top 10 pitcher in the league over the past 3 years to help them overcome the Yanks, not to mention his contract is (and will be with an extension) very fair for a pitcher of his quality. If the Jays are serious about going deep into October they'll have to give to get. Give me D'arnaud, who's play in the minors so far has been comparable to the medicore Arencibia at points, or I'll gladly keep one of the best in the league.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I've been against trading RA since Myers went for Shields. It'll take a top prospect to get a top pitcher.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
travis d'arnaud was heavily discussed w/ toronto as well as arencibia. hearing #mets may be landing d'arnaud. unconfirmed
As per Heyman

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Really hate losing Dickey, he's one of the reasons I've fallen in love with the sport, but D'arnaud may be worth it. If they can land a legitimate catcher outfield, and to a lesser extent 2b (though I like Murph's bat) are our only needs. The corner infield, catching and pitching would be strengths with Niese, Harvey and Wheeler (and maybe Fulmer in the future) with Reuben quietly providing real solid value at SS. Edit- sorry for awful grammar and spelling...a little bit inebriated now.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 12-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Really hate losing Dickey, he's one of the reasons I've fallen in love with the sport, but D'arnaud may be worth it. If they can land a legitimate catcher outfield, and to a lesser extent 2b (though I like Murph's bat) are our only needs. The corner infield, catching and pitching would be strengths with Niese, Harvey and Wheeler (and maybe Fulmer in the future) with Reuben quietly providing real solid value at SS. Edit- sorry for awful grammar and spelling...a little bit inebriated now.
Not a huge fan of trading Dickey either but he is 37. It's a sell high situation. I'm not sold on what I've read about Gose but D'arnaud seems to be legit. 2B is definitely a position that I would like upgraded as Murph is really an AL DH kind of guy or a platoon depth guy. Don't know what available 2B are out there though.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
Is Gose really anything special? I know about the speed but not much else about him. And I know he wasn't exactly anything to write home about in his call up last year.
Peter Bourjous 2.0. Very valuable fielder and base runner. Will never be a threatening hitter though. He can throw 100MPH+ as an outfielder and with pin point accuracy.

He is probably a 2ish WAR player this year, but needs seasoning in the minors.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
The Jays are going for it now. Antho is smart but Sandy is no slouch. D'arnaud for Dickey straight up works for both teams- Dickey gives them a top 10 pitcher in the league over the past 3 years to help them overcome the Yanks, not to mention his contract is (and will be with an extension) very fair for a pitcher of his quality. If the Jays are serious about going deep into October they'll have to give to get. Give me D'arnaud, who's play in the minors so far has been comparable to the medicore Arencibia at points, or I'll gladly keep one of the best in the league.
Anthopolous is probably one of the best, if not the best GM in the game trading wise. It would seem quite illogical to trade the best catching prospect in the league for a 38 yr old UFA to be next year. Think from their perspective, they would much rather move the older Arencibia, in which they've been pumping up his value by giving him playing time in the majors. D'Arnaud is eons ahead of Arencibia both defensively and offensively and I don't see why they'd move him in the first place. If RA goes to the Jays, it will be something like Colby Rasmus/Anthony Gose, JP Arencibia and a pitching prospect.

But you're correct, Sandy is also a smart guy for selling high on a old FA to be Beltran for Wheeler. Who knows. I think Anthopolous is smarter than Saebaen trading wise though.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

D'Arnoud and another prospect looks good for me. Other player needs to be a position player though. Cannot be a pitcher for this team. Possibly someone that can play a corner outfield spot in LF as they don't have anyone there. D'Arnoud is key though. Top young catchers are hard to find and have a huge impact on teams. Look at what Posey does for the Giants. Without him, they don't make the playoffs. With him, they won 2 World Series titles. D'Arnoud doesn't have to be that good, but having an impact player in that position proves to be valuable. He can improve the staff, the lineup, control base running, and add to the offense. A catcher impacts the game more than ANY position on the field.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And Sandy has been one of the shrewdest baseball minds of his generation. He knows how good Dickey is and AA should as well. He's not going to give up a Cy Young top tier pitcher for a mediocre catcher and an average minor leaguer. Mets will gladly keep Dickey- if a team like the Jays want an elite pitcher to help them, they're not gonna get away with giving up scraps.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Dickey isn't a Wakefield-type knuckleballer who will pitch like an ace until he's 45. He's 39 at the end of his deal and throws in the 80s. He's not Phil Niekro or Charlie Hough. The Mets got what they wanted out of him, but he's not a guy to build around simply because of his age.

I would sell high...You hate telling your fan base your basically giving up on the upcoming season by trading away a Cy Young winner, but better to get something for him now.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I can't get behind this "selling high" business. Dickey has had 3 years where he's been one of the best and most consistent pitchers in the league. 10-11 was a "down year" and he still had a very solid year. Dickey last year pitched at a level higher than Wakefield ever did. It's not like he had a fluke year after years of garbage- he's been great since he became adept at throwing the knuckleball.

Trade rumors now are saying D'Arnaud would be the center piece of the deal, as I suspected. A guy as smart as AA would know how good Dickey has been if he's looking to contend for a world series over the next 3 years with his stacked squad. Looks like the deal may be bigger, too- Jays prospects like Gose and Syndergaard for Metsies like Familia, Parnell, Murphy, etc. Interesting to see how this shakes down.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 12-14-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 11:26 PM
darko

Arencibia is garbage.

D'Arnaud straight up for Dickey works for both teams. Jays get a front of the rotation starter while Mets get the best catching prospect in all of baseball who is major league ready.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
I can't get behind this "selling high" business. Dickey has had 3 years where he's been one of the best and most consistent pitchers in the league. 10-11 was a "down year" and he still had a very solid year. Dickey last year pitched at a level higher than Wakefield ever did. It's not like he had a fluke year after years of garbage- he's been great since he became adept at throwing the knuckleball.

Trade rumors now are saying D'Arnaud would be the center piece of the deal, as I suspected. A guy as smart as AA would know how good Dickey has been if he's looking to contend for a world series over the next 3 years with his stacked squad. Looks like the deal may be bigger, too- Jays prospects like Gose and Syndergaard for Metsies like Familia, Parnell, Murphy, etc. Interesting to see how this shakes down.
Wakefield's 1995 was just as good as Dickey's 2012, and he pitched in a tougher division, in a bandbox during the Steroid Era for a division winner. Wakefield ERA plus was 165 in 1995 while Dickey was 140 last year.

Wakefield wasn't a fluke either since he pretty much carried the Pirates staff to the division down the stretch in 1992.

So what's your idea? Keep Dickey, let him pitch on a terrible team and then walk after 2014 for nothing?

Old
12-15-2012, 12:17 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Wakefield's 1995 was just as good as Dickey's 2012, and he pitched in a tougher division, in a bandbox during the Steroid Era for a division winner. Wakefield ERA plus was 165 in 1995 while Dickey was 140 last year.

Wakefield wasn't a fluke either since he pretty much carried the Pirates staff to the division down the stretch in 1992.

So what's your idea? Keep Dickey, let him pitch on a terrible team and then walk after 2014 for nothing?
No, my idea is not to trade him for garbage. Arencibia is awful. Get fair value.

I'll gladly do Dickey for D'Arnaud. If not, i'll enjoy watching an elite pitcher pitch for my team. The enjoyment from that'll be more than watching Arencibia and some other scrubs stink it up for a little bit.