*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Connor Mcdavid is reported to be close to signing 15 yr deal with Reebok.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=411371
I think its a 5 year deal, but pretty amazing accomplishment to say the least. Signed one before Crosby. It's got to be great having Bobby Orr as your agent.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:43 PM
OHLFan8771

I am hearing that Anthony Cortellessa may no longer be on the team. I do not know if he was sent home, left on his own or if this is true at this point. I will look into it more tomorrow.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
U said "we drafted"? I doubt u work with the Otters. I KNOW they could have drafted alot better after the 4th round. The fact u are all pissy about it, I couldnt care less. The 96 Marlies were a powerhouse, but unfortunately U have no clue what made that team a powerhouse. U think u can grab 2 guys off that team and allege they were "powerhouses" or great players. Your wrong. Those 2 were not top 10 players on that team. The Rebels had the best defense core in Ontario. Marlies were vulernable on the backend and goalie, with the exception to Mckeown. Go do your homework. Thats fine u can agree with Bassin's Lattavo pick, I would have taken David Miller or Centorame. Go look at there draft history, this is a waste of time. U clearly have never seen the 96 rebels play and if u did u have no clue what your watching.
I love it!

And I see you're back with reinforcements today too!

You don't just think or have an opinion you "KNOW" you could have drafted better! HAHAHA! It's right out of the movie "Moneyball", a true story, when Brad Pitt's character, the Oakland A's GM is tired of listening to his head scout tell him he KNOWS what he's talking about and say's "Naw, no way. I hear you say that all the time to people and the truth is you THINK you know. But you don't know. You don't". Priceless.

You seem to take a special interest in knocking everything from the coaching staff to the players on the ice to the players selected in the draft and the folks responsible for making the selections too. Hard to escape the conclusion you're nothing more than a disgruntled former employee or wannabe guru scout whom Sherry Bassin didn't give the time of day too. I don't have a lot of time for this **** (I have a regular job to go to) but note you don't seem to have torn into any of the other teams in the O save and except the Otters in such a vitriolic way. It's hard to escape the conclusion this isn't personal for you. Move on and forget it.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I am hearing that Anthony Cortellessa may no longer be on the team. I do not know if he was sent home, left on his own or if this is true at this point. I will look into it more tomorrow.
He was placed on waivers

Old
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
U were bang on. What do u think is more important for this team moving forward, an elite defenseman or forward? Ott 67's have 19 points, Petes have 20, Otters 21. They are right in the mix for Sean Day. Id love to see that kid on the Otters, it would completely change the way teams attack them. If they finished #2 do u think they would look hard at Werenski or grab Konecny? After Pelech the D-core drops off significantly. If they grabbed an elite Dman in t he Top 3, they could still get a 97 winger in the second round who could contribute in the top 9. If Dansk is gone next year or gone in general when this crop of players is peaking, than Id think it would be smart to see what teams would offer for Dansk and have those prospects coming in from a Dansk trade to help with the current core of players.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
U were bang on. What do u think is more important for this team moving forward, an elite defenseman or forward? Ott 67's have 19 points, Petes have 20, Otters 21. They are right in the mix for Sean Day. Id love to see that kid on the Otters, it would completely change the way teams attack them. If they finished #2 do u think they would look hard at Werenski or grab Konecny? After Pelech the D-core drops off significantly. If they grabbed an elite Dman in t he Top 3, they could still get a 97 winger in the second round who could contribute in the top 9. If Dansk is gone next year or gone in general when this crop of players is peaking, than Id think it would be smart to see what teams would offer for Dansk and have those prospects coming in from a Dansk trade to help with the current core of players.
As a fan of the team I obviously want them to win and make the playoffs but at this point that does not seem to really suit them the best for the future. If the finish last and Day is available I think it is a no brainer to take him with the first pick. If they finish second I am torn right now between Werenski or Konecny. Both of them are players that as of now are on pace to be high end players and probably first round NHL picks. I think a big factor in who they would chose has to do with the import draft. They should have no less than a top 12 or so pick and who ever they can grab with that pick they should take the player in the OHL draft of the opposite position. Right now they are in dire need of defenseman so I am pressed to say Werenski because the import draft is always a bit of a gamble and Werenski would be a safe pick. On the other hand Konecny is an elite forward and him and McDavid together could really score some goals. I think it is really a win win situation if they get either one but based on team needs I would say Werenski right now.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Why didn't the Otter's call up (G) K Brown? we did trade for him from the Petes. Once again Erie making decisions that boggle the mind!

Old
12-14-2012, 07:00 AM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Why didn't the Otter's call up (G) K Brown? we did trade for him from the Petes. Once again Erie making decisions that boggle the mind!
Isn't Brown playing Jr A in eastern Ontario somewhere now...? To be fair, Erie drafted the goalie they brought up in the 8th rnd '12 (I think) and this is an opportunity to see how he fits in.

As you could probably tell by the tone of the exchange between Mapleleaf and I above there is one thing we do agree on- the draft is what you will live or die with moving forward. May as well give the kid a chance sooner rather than later.

Perhaps Brown is in a good situation now and didn't want leave it to back Devin Williams up for a few games.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:36 AM
KnightSpit

Patrick Murphy Called Up ?????

Hey

Any truth to the rumour that Murphy kid was called up and is with the team right now. Do not know if it is true, a buddy told me he had seen it on another player's Facebook page. If you guys called that kid up at 6 ft 3 and making a mess of points on the junior team, that is a good move. Windosr does not have a D like that in our system. Like I said before we will send you Bateman for him.

Are Erie practices in Erie open to the public ? In WIndsor casue of the complex people just kinda walk in ?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
BramptonFan09

Abraham and Mcdavid doubtful for tonights game and felker got a concussion last night. Abraham has been battling through the flu and a shoulder injury the past two weeks, while McDavid is sick. Mcdavid obviously a huge loss.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Hendrick
Rookie User

Just a few quick questions. Can't help but be curious.

1. Did Patrick Murphy grow 3" overnight?
2. When is the last time you saw Patrick Murphy play?
3. Any trades that you make, are they considered binding?
4. Knights or Spitfires??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey

Any truth to the rumour that Murphy kid was called up and is with the team right now. Do not know if it is true, a buddy told me he had seen it on another player's Facebook page. If you guys called that kid up at 6 ft 3 and making a mess of points on the junior team, that is a good move. Windosr does not have a D like that in our system. Like I said before we will send you Bateman for him.

Are Erie practices in Erie open to the public ? In WIndsor casue of the complex people just kinda walk in ?

Old
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrick View Post
Just a few quick questions. Can't help but be curious.

1. Did Patrick Murphy grow 3" overnight?
2. When is the last time you saw Patrick Murphy play?
3. Any trades that you make, are they considered binding?
4. Knights or Spitfires??
I can answer a few of those questions. About Murphy's height I am not sure that he is 6'3. I saw him a few months ago and I would guess he is around 6'1 but I have not seen him for at least 4 months now. I saw him play at camp and he looked to me like he should have made the team. Especially at the rookie camp, he played arguably the best of all d-men there but Pelech did not play at that camp. I was shocked when they cut him because he has shown more than once he is more than capable of playing with the team. As far as trades I have not heard much, I know they are exploring a few options but the problem they are running into is that to get a quality player they are going to have to give up a player that is a bigger role in their future. If you look at their roster they do not really have a player that will net a big return that will not be here next year like they had in McKegg last season.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
If you look at their roster they do not really have a player that will net a big return that will not be here next year like they had in McKegg last season.
What do u think Oscar Dansk would bring back?

Old
12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
What do u think Oscar Dansk would bring back?
That is an interesting option. I think Dansk is certainly good enough to bring a 94 or 95 d-man with high potential, plus another high profile 95 or 96 player and maybe toss a draft pick in or two to balance everything out for both sides. However I see three problems with that, one is Dansk is obviously a high end top goalie but he is an import player and teams have limited roster spots for him, two the teams that would be buyers at this point seem to all be set in goal (Barrie, Belleville, Oshawa in the east. London, Owen Sound, Guelph maybe Plymouth and I know Kitchener has injuries but they are solid in goal.) One team that could be interested is Niagara but they have to worry about the lock out before they make any roster upgrades but they do have an Import slot available. Third would be that I just personally can not see Bassin trading Dansk, he will most likely be back next season and even though I think they may be better suited to make a run in 14-15, Bassin sees them as a "championship contender" next season.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
NHL Fanatic

Well he tweeted game day in Kitch so I would assume they brought him back up. Personally I hope its true, he would be a good addition to the back end. Don't know why they cut him in the first place.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:46 PM
NHL Fanatic

Murphy call up just confirmed via Erie Otters

Old
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Erie vs Kitchener is televised in the GTA . Rogers channel 10 or 510 HD

Old
12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
OHLFan8771

Great first period by Erie, Williams plays perfect making one great stop on the PK. Crisp battles in front puts them up one, McDavid with a beauty slap puts Erie up 2-0 after the first.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Great first period by Erie, Williams plays perfect making one great stop on the PK. Crisp battles in front puts them up one, McDavid with a beauty slap puts Erie up 2-0 after the first.
That glove save was unbelieveable. I like Williams the more I see him. Very quick lateral movement and he showed it on that glove save. That giveaway by Kuleshov almost lead to a wrap around goal. They must eliminate those, its uncalled for. Take the hit and move the puck. Be more careful with penalties. ID like to see Harper with mcdavid and Brown on the PP. Although I understand they want balance on the first and second pp unit. Id like to see Pettit instead of Labardo on the first line PP,I think he would be useful screening the goalie with Brown and MCdavid on the half wall. Team looks full of energy so far.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:29 PM
NHL Fanatic

Is Harper still on D on the powerplay or was that just experimental play last night

Old
12-14-2012, 07:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Is Harper still on D on the powerplay or was that just experimental play last night
Yes, Harper is playing the left point with Abraham. CRisp, Fox and Hodgson up front.
Mcdavid, Brown, Labardo, Pelech and Mcdowell is the other unit.

Also toward the end of a 5-3, Harper was just seeing time up front on the PP. I like the experimenting by the coach with the lines on the PP and 5 on 5. Harper doing a great job on the PK tonight.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:03 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Yes, Harper is playing the left point with Abraham. CRisp, Fox and Hodgson up front.
Mcdavid, Brown, Labardo, Pelech and Mcdowell is the other unit.

Also toward the end of a 5-3, Harper was just seeing time up front on the PP. I like the experimenting by the coach with the lines on the PP and 5 on 5. Harper doing a great job on the PK tonight.
Ya I like what they are doing with Harper as well, he has been a slump so far to start the year so maybe a little change is what he needs. He has a rocket slap shot so as long as he is no liability on the point during a PP I say keep doing it.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
OHLFan8771

I cant help but notice how brutal the linesman have been in this one. First there is a penalty on the Rangers which is an automatic faceoff in their zone but the linesman bring it right outside the Otters zone? Then Marcantuoni runs Williams and Fox comes in with a push. Alberga drops his gloves and Fox does as well but he is being held by one linesman, the other linesman comes and grabs Fox as well?? The two linesman are holding Fox and Alberga throws three punches while Fox cant defend himself or counter. Come on linesman you are asking for a player to get decked and hurt if you keep that up.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 12-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 08:14 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Ya I like what they are doing with Harper as well, he has been a slump so far to start the year so maybe a little change is what he needs. He has a rocket slap shot so as long as he is no liability on the point during a PP I say keep doing it.
Yes for sure. I got the feeling early in the season that Mcdavid and Harper werent a good match for one another. Id like to see the coach revist the Harper-Mcdavid thing. Having them separate and creating depth is not bad either. What do u think, do u think Harper and Mcdavid dont have the potential to gain chemistry? I know its not always possible to have 2 guys have chemistry, sometimes its just not there regardless of talent. In theory they should be an excellent match for one another.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Yes for sure. I got the feeling early in the season that Mcdavid and Harper werent a good match for one another. Id like to see the coach revist the Harper-Mcdavid thing. Having them separate and creating depth is not bad either. What do u think, do u think Harper and Mcdavid dont have the potential to gain chemistry?
I think that they do have the potential to have good chemistry but one thing holding that back is that Harper overall is not fast enough to play with McDavid. McDavid needs teammates that have great speed like he does, I think thats why Brown and Labardo with McDavid was such an effective line. If Harper can improve his first step and speed I think they would be a good match. Harper has a great shot so if some one like McDavid can set him up in games then he will score quite a bit. Until that happens they may not be the best pairing.

Closed Thread