Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Scotto, with all due respect, I think the conversation is an interesting subtext to what happened today.
fair enough if eveyone feels the same. i just saw it as going at eachother. But lets not bring it to the next level of attacking one another please.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
12-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
It's really stupid to blame anyone to be honest. When things like this happen it shouldn't be about trying to scoop each other. The need to do so is what causes the misinformation that in some cases, can ruin lives.
It is, and that was my point with my comment. Artemis was providing color commentary about reporters reporting on information that is given to them by law enforcement.

I don't buy that completely, but she's entitled to speak her mind.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

well thats why they got the wrong brother in the reports. Shooter had his brothers ID on him.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
My mom is 77. I asked her once when do you stop worrying about your kids. She said to me " never".

She was right.
She is quite right.

You know how it is Wally..You are a Dad.

12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
fair enough if eveyone feels the same. i just saw it as going at eachother. But lets not bring it to the next level of attacking one another please.
That, and it's not political, so we can actually talk about it.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
It is, and that was my point with my comment. Artemis was providing color commentary about reporters reporting on information that is given to them by law enforcement.

I don't buy that completely, but she's entitled to speak her mind.
A good reporter also knows when to air on the side of caution and you're right, I don't buy it.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
enough with the crap. God 20 kids are dead and were going to bicker on a message board.
Thank you .

I came here because the news was sad and I thought it would help to talk about it with others. Instead there has to me meaningless fights over nothing. .

Good Lord.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
A good reporter also knows when to air on the side of caution and you're right, I don't buy it.
And THAT, unfortunately, is what I think has been lost in the ratings game.

It's more important to scoop the other guy than to take the time to fact check, and it's just wrong. Sure, did the police have some wrong information along the way today? I'll bet they did. I'm sure if they had it their way, they wouldn't have been releasing that information so soon.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

would it be a good idea to require teachers to be trained and carry?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

I am thinking yes

it wont cost a lot and it would be good protection for situations like this.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
The City of Chicago has a hand gun ban and I believe they have a pretty high murder rate. Banning guns is not the answer, it may seem like it, but its not the way to go. They do need to crack down on illegal guns and have stiffer penalties for crimes.

But at the end of the day, its the criminals committing these crimes, not the guns.

They banned drugs and look how effective that is...
DC has the most stringent gun laws in the country. Among the highest percentage of crime committed w/ firearms.

I don't care what the laws are, if some fruitbat wants to pull something like this, he's going to find the guns.

You have a couple different common denominators, or issues, at hand here. Like the **** nugget that shot up the movie theatre; you have firearms combined w/ mental health issues. As now they're talking a/b the shooter having Asperger's syndrome, or being somewhere on the autism spectrum. Should someone like that have access to firearms?

Heard, but cannot confirm, the firearms were registered to the mother. Something doesn't add up. Like him walking around in tactical gear, etc.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
I am thinking yes

it wont cost a lot and it would be good protection for situations like this.
That would be sad. Some teachers wouldn't want to carry a gun.

I think we need to try harder to keep guns out of the hands of kids and evil people.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

No. The ability to shoot a gun in a high pressure situation like that is not an instinct that everyone has. And putting guns INTO the schools is not something that we should be doing.

There has to be other ways.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
No. The ability to shoot a gun in a high pressure situation like that is not an instinct that everyone has. And putting guns INTO the schools is not something that we should be doing.

just trying to think of an affordable way to protect the schools. Schools can't afford armed security they can hardly afford to pay teachers.

what about as part of national guard services you have to do a rotation as armed school security

Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Neely08

Quote:
would it be a good idea to require teachers to be trained and carry?
That's where I am w/ it. That, or you have armed security of some sort at schools. People will say that's too expensive, etc. If we can't protect our children, what good are roads and bridges?

Metal detectors at kindergartens. This isn't the world I grew up in, that's for sure.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
That would be sad. Some teachers wouldn't want to carry a gun.

I think we need to try harder to keep guns out of the hands of kids and evil people.
that is a very hard thing to do. from what I am hearing watching all this coverage most of the time when someone does this type of thing it is planned over a good period of time.

there are so many guns out there that good people have that can be stolen by the kids and evil people.

this guy stole his mothers guns. My neighbor hunts someone could steal his guns. You can get illegal guns on the street without that much trouble.

Just a very hard thing to control

Old
12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
just trying to think of an affordable way to protect the schools. Schools can't afford armed security they can hardly afford to pay teachers.

what about as part of national guard services you have to do a rotation as armed school security
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how it would work numbers-wise.

The problem with that is that you're not solving the problem. Sick people will find other ways to inflict damage. There's a special kind of illness to carry this out at an elementary school, but picture day care centers...middle schools, high schools, colleges, movie theaters.

You can't put armed guards everywhere. A friend of mine lost her brother in the Virgina Tech massacre. How do you close off a whole campus to protect those kids?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:20 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
All schools need to have several members on staff have access to immediate firearms.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:

I don't know how feasible that is (probably not at all), but it's probably the most efficient solution I've seen. Gun control isn't going to help enough imo, and I certainly don't want my wife (a teacher) carrying a weapon. If you want to stop this from happening, then stop these people from entering the grounds to begin with

I remember in college there was a guy in one of my classes who was licensed to carry. Said he's never had to use it, and never anticipates having to use it, but that having a gun on you just adds paranoia and you always feel the overwhelming urge to protect. It sounds scary and way too pressure packed for the average adult to be able to handle.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
that is a very hard thing to do. from what I am hearing watching all this coverage most of the time when someone does this type of thing it is planned over a good period of time.

there are so many guns out there that good people have that can be stolen by the kids and evil people.

this guy stole his mothers guns. My neighbor hunts someone could steal his guns. You can get illegal guns on the street without that much trouble.

Just a very hard thing to control
I don't know much about guns but I think semi-automatic weapons should not be sold to anyone. I know bad people can get them anyway but with fewer out there it would be more difficult.

You can not prevent all evil from happening but getting more of the guns away from people would help some.

There is no good answer. It is hard to believe anyone could be that terrible.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

So I just came from meditation practice......

anger is one step up from sadnesss.....so some people get there more quickly depending on how they process events.

but be sure.....that you are not deflecting sadness.....by being angry
I see a lot of people fighting over nothing...it is a quest to gain a sense of control over something very sensLESS. So dont deflect--FEEL. We run from sadness. let yourself be sad over this....its horrifying, its natural to be sad and upset and confused.

Ask yourself if you are feeling or deflecting...then show yourself some compassion.....we all need to treat ourselves gently right now....today was awful.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Neely08

Quote:

You're 100% right. But that's what training is for. This ******* probably had no training, and he killed 26 people.

6 were teachers. He only went into two classrooms, so they say. Those are some brave teachers who were helpless to stop this guy. But it sure sounds like they tried anyway.

If a teacher or college professor wanted to voluntarily carry? It's ok by me.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how it would work numbers-wise.

The problem with that is that you're not solving the problem. Sick people will find other ways to inflict damage. There's a special kind of illness to carry this out at an elementary school, but picture day care centers...middle schools, high schools, colleges, movie theaters.

You can't put armed guards everywhere. A friend of mine lost her brother in the Virgina Tech massacre. How do you close off a whole campus to protect those kids?
right you can't do it everywhere but I think kids in kindergarten need armed security more then college. at least in college you can try and run or something. What can a 6 year old do really?

I have two 6 year olds in 1st grade and all I can picture is them in a class a someone is shooting in the school.

College kid can try and run or do something. 6 year old will stay right there until the teacher tells them what to do.

god it makes me sick

Old
12-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
You're 100% right. But that's what training is for. This ******* probably had no training, and he killed 26 people.

6 were teachers. He only went into two classrooms, so they say. Those are some brave teachers who were helpless to stop this guy. But it sure sounds like they tried anyway.

If a teacher or college professor wanted to voluntarily carry? It's ok by me.
I agree. most if not all teachers (even more so for younger kids I would think) would be willing to trade their life to protect their kids. I would think you would get a lot that would volunteer to carry for sure. so if they volunteer make special training mandatory for them and let them carry. even if 5 or 6 teachers in a school had a gun and traning it might make the difference.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:42 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
So I just came from meditation practice......

anger is one step up from sadnesss.....so some people get there more quickly depending on how they process events.

but be sure.....that you are not deflecting sadness.....by being angry
I see a lot of people fighting over nothing...it is a quest to gain a sense of control over something very sensLESS. So dont deflect--FEEL. We run from sadness. let yourself be sad over this....its horrifying, its natural to be sad and upset and confused.

Ask yourself if you are feeling or deflecting...then show yourself some compassion.....we all need to treat ourselves gently right now....today was awful.
I don't even know how to be sad anymore. I am angry in compensation and, of course take it out on those close to me. Granted, I am not as bad as I used to be (being much more aware of the issue) but its still there.

I generally save it up for Friday night and binge drink and youtebe it all away.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Closed Thread