HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  #251
IComeInPeace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LA
Country: Canada
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
While it stinks that there are no Nucks on Team Canada, to cheer for Team Canada is automatic with me (just as it is to cheer for the 'Nucks no matter how good or bad they are playing)...

I think this may have been great for Corrado. He should leave with his confidence sky high with the knowledge that he can play with the best players in the world in his age group.

IComeInPeace is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  #252
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
While it stinks that there are no Nucks on Team Canada, to cheer for Team Canada is automatic with me (just as it is to cheer for the 'Nucks no matter how good or bad they are playing)...

I think this may have been great for Corrado. He should leave with his confidence sky high with the knowledge that he can play with the best players in the world in his age group.
I agree, while I will wish Canada well, I will definitely not be surprised if Murphy and Spott's infatuation with his one man show offense costs this team a big game.

I feel for Corrado mostly because if im him, I ask myself, what more could I have done....and the answer is nothing. Outperformed every other defenseman in camp (including the locks), scored twice (there will be haters that will call both goals lucky....IMO getting shots through to the net from the point is a skill), played excellent shut down defense. It's ironic Corrado received very little PK time in this camp, considering I'd call him a better defender than the entire top 4, shows me the roster was probably already selected before the camp. If it wasn't I don't know how you can cut a player who stands out above the rest.

Alright, thats it for me, still angry about it, but I just have to drop it, can't let this effect my mood for today (was grumpy enough last night).

arsmaster is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  #253
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
A good game by Nicklas Jensen and a nice penalty goal in todays national team game (Denmark-Latvia). He scored two times on penalty one of them the GVG you can see in this video:

http://bambuser.com/v/3223234
Any good websites to keep up to date on this national team stuff?

PRNuck is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
  #254
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Canada played miserably in 2010 & 2011 how? I guess because after 5 straight gold medals, anything less is lousy and those Silvers were just awful? The 2010 final was a back and forth OT win too. But you are probably right...just miserable play by Canada.

I may cheer for other teams to do well in the WJC, but I'd never cheer against Canada. Something very wrong with that and whoever said you will abandon ship when the Canucks rebuild is probably right.
I just don't see the "nationalistic pride" in a U20 tournament. The Olympics are when it is important to me, because that is when it truly matters for everyone.

You can question my loyalty all you wish because it won't matter to me. I know for myself, that I'll be cheering for Canucks through it all, and for Canada when it's meaningful.

shortshorts is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:23 PM
  #255
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Corrado cut, typical hockey politics.

Just because Corrado wasn't picked in the 1st round and other guys like Dumba are more well known. Ridiculous.
I don't get how they cut Corrado but pick Lipon...

Ri don't know.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
  #256
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I don't get how they cut Corrado but pick Lipon...

Ri don't know.
Well, they were different positions. I think that's a different comparison.

I think what it really came down to was Corrado vs. Wotherspoon/Murphy for the final spot. Murphy obviously has offensive skills (and an in with the coach), while Wotherspoon has some size and bite. Corrado is a well rounded player, but not a specialist in any one department.

I don't agree with the decision, but I think that's why it was made.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
  #257
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,270
vCash: 500
So I was just looking on capgeek, and all these prospects in our system are Free Agents after this year (bolded get resigned, italics unsure, tongue out means good riddance)

Tanev
Schroeder
Sweatt
S. Schneider
Connauton
Rodin
Archibald
Sauve
Rai
Joslin

arsmaster is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  #258
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
So I was just looking on capgeek, and all these prospects in our system are Free Agents after this year (bolded get resigned, italics unsure, tongue out means good riddance)

Tanev
Schroeder
Sweatt
S. Schneider
Connauton
Rodin
Archibald
Sauve
Rai
Joslin
Management has been high on Connauton for a while now - I'd say he's definite. I can't see them cutting Sweatt or Rodin loose yet.

Archibald is making a case for himself; the rest, I could care less.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  #259
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
I think all of those three in italics get re-signed. Don't know about Sauve. He hasn't shown much and I would rather Polasek get his spot as a #6 guy.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
  #260
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
For me the Team Canada Cuts are puzzling. I have been a firm believer that on the big ice, skating will trump all. I can't understand why you wouldn't take the best skater. I think this was shown in the Olympics in Italy with Pronger, who was terrible, then played better and better and better, here in Vancouver. With that much room, skating just means so much.

Also with our recent struggles in goal, it got me thinking, with a short tournament like this, why not just take the guys who are absolutely the hottest? I mean unless you have a guy like Price, which by all accounts we don't this year, its a very short tourny, run with the guys that are hot.

Will still cheer for Canada though. Can't really understand the not cheering for your own country, and not to say I don't hope other nations do well when I like players or prospects, but Canada will always be my first choice.

racerjoe is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
  #261
Intoewsables
 
 
Intoewsables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
So I was just looking on capgeek, and all these prospects in our system are Free Agents after this year (bolded get resigned, italics unsure, tongue out means good riddance)

Tanev
Schroeder
Sweatt
S. Schneider
Connauton
Rodin
Archibald
Sauve
Rai
Joslin
Connauton will definitely be brought back, and I'd be surprised if Rodin and Archibald weren't as well. Don't really care about Sauve but if he's brought back for another year, I wouldn't be too upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Management has been high on Connauton for a while now - I'd say he's definite. I can't see them cutting Sweatt or Rodin loose yet.
Ehh, Bill's already 24 and he can barely score at the AHL level. Hard to see him being worth a contract spot at this point IMO.

Intoewsables is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 03:13 PM
  #262
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
For me the Team Canada Cuts are puzzling. I have been a firm believer that on the big ice, skating will trump all. I can't understand why you wouldn't take the best skater. I think this was shown in the Olympics in Italy with Pronger, who was terrible, then played better and better and better, here in Vancouver. With that much room, skating just means so much.

Also with our recent struggles in goal, it got me thinking, with a short tournament like this, why not just take the guys who are absolutely the hottest? I mean unless you have a guy like Price, which by all accounts we don't this year, its a very short tourny, run with the guys that are hot.

Will still cheer for Canada though. Can't really understand the not cheering for your own country, and not to say I don't hope other nations do well when I like players or prospects, but Canada will always be my first choice.
I used to feel that way, but now I want nothing more than to see Phil Housley make sure Spott is one and done as WJC coach.

PRNuck is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
  #263
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I agree, while I will wish Canada well, I will definitely not be surprised if Murphy and Spott's infatuation with his one man show offense costs this team a big game.

I feel for Corrado mostly because if im him, I ask myself, what more could I have done....and the answer is nothing. Outperformed every other defenseman in camp (including the locks), scored twice (there will be haters that will call both goals lucky....IMO getting shots through to the net from the point is a skill), played excellent shut down defense. It's ironic Corrado received very little PK time in this camp, considering I'd call him a better defender than the entire top 4, shows me the roster was probably already selected before the camp. If it wasn't I don't know how you can cut a player who stands out above the rest.

Alright, thats it for me, still angry about it, but I just have to drop it, can't let this effect my mood for today (was grumpy enough last night).
This. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I just don't see the "nationalistic pride" in a U20 tournament. The Olympics are when it is important to me, because that is when it truly matters for everyone.

You can question my loyalty all you wish because it won't matter to me. I know for myself, that I'll be cheering for Canucks through it all, and for Canada when it's meaningful.
And this. Exactly how I feel about it.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  #264
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoewsables View Post
Ehh, Bill's already 24 and he can barely score at the AHL level. Hard to see him being worth a contract spot at this point IMO.
Of course when we 'win' the free agent sweepstakes we get a nothing forward like Bill Sweatt, but when we're the runner-up, Justin Schultz goes on to post numbers as an AHL rookie that would make Bobby Orr blush.

Typical.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 06:37 PM
  #265
ihaveyuidonttouchme
Registered User
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 50
Not so good game for Honzik so far. He needs to control his rebound..already gave up 2 goals b.c of it oh....and his team sucks too.

ihaveyuidonttouchme is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
  #266
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
So I was just looking on capgeek, and all these prospects in our system are Free Agents after this year (bolded get resigned, italics unsure, tongue out means good riddance)

Tanev
Schroeder
Sweatt
S. Schneider
Connauton
Rodin
Archibald
Sauve
Rai
Joslin
Sweatt: Said in the offseason, he would have to take his game to another level to be signed, but have not seen that. I believe he has plateaued in the AHL and has no to minimal upside left in his game. It's time to walk away, IMO.

Connauton: If there was a season this year, I had a feeling at least one of our prospect dmen was going to be moved, just too big of a log jam, no playing time, and too many middling kind of guys. Also, not to mention guys next season coming from Juniors/NCAA/Sweden, such as Corrado, Price, possibly Tommernes. And with the way MG was touting this kid in the offseason, I honestly believed it was to increase his trade value and sell high. I don't see an NHL career for Connauton and would like to see him moved, but I can see MG signing him.

Rodin: If he ends the year the same way he is continuing right now, I think the SEL begins to float around in his head. But i think he will resign for a short short term, maybe one year.

Archibald: Seems to be developing and continuing to progress. I think he has more to his game than he is showing. Give this man some more power skating lessons and another contract.

Schneider/Sauve/Rai: Bye Bye and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

You forgot Weise! He's worth another contract.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 06:50 PM
  #267
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 250
^ Isn't Tochkin a UFA this year too? And Weise definitely deserves another contract.

It's really too bad Polasek's in the ECHL... I'd like to see how he's improved this year. He has more upside than Sauve, no?

Kinda wonder what sort of forward Connauton would become if they converted him to LW.

vanuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:33 PM
  #268
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********
 
Tim Calhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Isn't Tochkin a UFA this year too?
No, we're blessed with that contract for another year. Same with Steven Anthony.

Tim Calhoun is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
  #269
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 500
In his first game back Corrado has scored his 5th of the season. I hope he comes back to Sudbury ready to prove Hockey Canada wrong.

Glad to see lots of prospects with expiring contracts, will be great to purge the system of Rai, Schnieder, Sweatt and other dead weight that hasn't really contributed. Time to get some fresh blood in the system and free up contract slots for players worth of a contract.

Rodin I can see going back to the SEL, probably the best place for him IMO.

Sauve I think is going to prove himself to be a waste of a 40th overall pick if he hasn't done that already.

timw33 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
  #270
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
No, we're blessed with that contract for another year. Same with Steven Anthony.
Ugh, so close to getting rid of all of our core fail contracts.

timw33 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:28 PM
  #271
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
I dunno, Canucks need to fail faster with AHL prospects. Either you immediately adapt to a new level or you progressively get there, Stagnating for 2-3 years doesn't seem like a winning formula unless its at the NHL level - time is simply not on your side. Unfortunately, a bunch of the Canucks' AHL prospects seem to be in that situation.

There is after all an opportunity cost to stagnating prospects - new prospects like Archibald, Mallet, Polasek, Anderson, etc...aren't getting the AHL ice time to see if THEY can progress.

Just a thought.

Outside99* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:32 PM
  #272
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I dunno, Canucks need to fail faster with AHL prospects. Either you immediately adapt to a new level or you progressively get there, Stagnating for 2-3 years doesn't seem like a winning formula unless its at the NHL level - time is simply not on your side. Unfortunately, a bunch of the Canucks' AHL prospects seem to be in that situation.

There is after all an opportunity cost to stagnating prospects - new prospects like Archibald, Mallet, Polasek, Anderson, etc...aren't getting the AHL ice time to see if THEY can progress.

Just a thought.
Definitely agree, too bad you can't just cut under performing players and move on though. I'm really worried about Mallet not playing another year in the Q to be honest, there just isn't space in the AHL for him and he could use a year of refinementóbut he's too old.

timw33 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:38 PM
  #273
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,915
vCash: 500
Corrado's pissed and scored again.

Wisp is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
  #274
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,270
vCash: 500
1+1 for Gaunce tonight.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:04 PM
  #275
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Sauve was looking good in the AHL until he got hit by a car. Unfortunate..

shortshorts is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.