HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
  #76
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I'm sorry, can you please explain how this relates to Nugent-Hopkins. Remember when Tavares didn't get knocked out and dominated as a 17 year old?
Because it happened to Ovechkin....it will happen to RNH.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
  #77
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,303
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Why ? Because I voice my disagreement ?
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was referring to you calling everyone a sheep for no reason than to stir the pot.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:41 PM
  #78
nowhereman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Sedin and Zetterberg would be fine with it I'm sure. I went on the presumption that Alfredsson is done.
They might say they're fine with it but choosing a 20 year old to captain your team, over two of the best players in the world and fixtures on team Sweden, could hurt team morale. That'd be like Team Canada choosing Seguin or RNH to captain Team Canada over Crosby. Bad optics.

nowhereman is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
  #79
nowhereman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Remember ovechkin how hit got hit out of the gold medal. Do you homework before. You come up with ur stupidities.
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...

nowhereman is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
  #80
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,191
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...
RNH isn't that fast, but I get your point.

__________________

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  #81
True Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
True Hockey Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Because you insult people if they don't agree with your opinion. You cry about people making assumptions and then call everyone sheep if they don't agree with you. Then you get all huffy when people respond to your nonsense.


Exactly. He's a big canadian fan, but don't like the team. Simple as that.

True Hockey Fan is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  #82
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Are people seriously debating over the captaincy? How can you not pick the guy who's played 80+ games of pro hockey and is clearly the best player on the team? All of the guys on the roster will be looking up to him when they need someone to step up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
There is no questions asked on this one, lol. Guys don't kid yourself. It is self explanitory that RNH should be captain becuase he is the only player on the team who has had a whole year of NHL experience and then some.
I don't have a problem, per se, with RNH being named captain.. but I'll give you the same reasons why I didn't think he should be captain as I gave yesterday: The WJC is a different beast. It's great that RNH has the experience of playing in the NHL, but the pressure you feel playing on the last place Oilers is not the same pressure you feel in a 2-week tournament with the entire country watching, expecting you to win gold (especially in a lockout year). RNH is a good player, clearly the best on Team Canada and it's not as if he has no leadership qualities, he does.. but even with that, I believe they should have gone with someone who was on the team last year; someone who remembers what it felt like to get eliminated from gold contention in the Semi's and who knows that to expect once they get into the elimination games. The guy I felt best suited for the job, and as I posted yesterday, was Jonathan Hubderdeau. He should have been captain, with RNH and Harrington/Hamilton with the A's.

Again, I don't really have a problem with RNH being named captain, but it should have been a returning player IMO.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
  #83
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Most of the people on this board don't know anything and are sheep. Follow the master. No matter what team spot picked I suspect 80 percent of people would follow like sheep. I want people to rub it in my face and prove me wrong at the end. I will be here in January to rub it in all your faces. I'm the biggest team Canada supporter but I will voice my disagreement.
This is second funniest to the poster who said 'the captaincy decision was obviously based around who could afford to take the team for perogies and ice cream after the game'.

If you're the biggest Team Canada supporter you'd know that 100% of us sheep would be behind Shepherd Spott regardless the team he assembles. It's what Canadians do, they cheer for Team Canada hockey. We're all sheep in this together, you included Mr. Nobody!


Last edited by Karitimes: 12-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Karitimes is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
  #84
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,040
vCash: 50
it's almost impossible to speculate about captaincy because we don't know who are the leader in the locker room and how the player generally interact with say other, just gotta trust HC on it.

Linden is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
  #85
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's almost impossible to speculate about captaincy because we don't know who are the leader in the locker room and how the player generally interact with say other, just gotta trust HC on it.
This is true, and at the end of the day, all of the returning players will have a voice and be respected because they've been there before and alot of the guys that don't have WJC experience are captains or alternates on their club teams.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
  #86
jigsaw99
#fireAV
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Landeskog: AHAAHAH I'm Captain of the Avalanche!!!

Nuge: hehe Cool. I'm the Captain of a country.
Edmonton fan i assume?

Landeskog's captaincy is way more impressive.

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
  #87
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,040
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This is true, and at the end of the day, all of the returning players will have a voice and be respected because they've been there before and alot of the guys that don't have WJC experience are captains or alternates on their club teams.
exactly, can't really go wrong picking leaders for a team that's full of Captains and alternates

Linden is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  #88
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Edmonton fan i assume?

Landeskog's captaincy is way more impressive.
Landos is more impressive, nothing to do with being an Oiler fan though. Needless jab

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:49 PM
  #89
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,601
vCash: 83
I have no issues with the choices for letters. This team is full of leaders and will be fine leadership wise.

Killahpunk is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:49 PM
  #90
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
What difference does it make who the captains are? The leadership group was always going to be Nugent-Hopkins plus the returning players. The only issue is the slight possibility of the lockout ending and Nugent-Hopkins getting called back, but the captaincy isn't close to being the biggest part of that issue.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 09:50 PM
  #91
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
It really speaks volumes to the leadership available on team Canada that Phillip Danault (3rd year captain for Victoriaville) and Boone Jenner(3rd year captain for Oshawa) aren't even wearing an A.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering where the toughness and grit will come from, those two will be ready, willing and able. I think that Danault in particular will become a favourite of many by the end of this tournament.

bigdirty is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  #92
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...
why is tom wilson a thug? thugs usually aren't PPG in the ohl

um is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  #93
Snippit
Registered User
 
Snippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
There's already ton of leadership on this team. It sounds like the team is bonding really well.

They travel to Ufa on Saturday, no?

Snippit is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  #94
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
There's already ton of leadership on this team. It sounds like the team is bonding really well.

They travel to Ufa on Saturday, no?
They're going to Finland for a few days before Ufa. Rumour has it that Ufa is cloaked in 24 hour darkness for this upcoming week (and possibly beyond!), and the team doesn't want the players to go crazy. I for one can't blame them.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  #95
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
ok but say there is not an NHL. is huberdeau serving his suspension witht he games he is missing for camp or will he serve them when he gets back from Ufa?
The games that Huberdeau is missing because of the WJC camp and tournament itself count towards his suspension total, so he will be fine for the tournament because the Sea Dogs will have played four games by the start of the tournament, meaning he will no longer be suspended.
It's the same situation for Noesen, but his suspension is longer and impossible to be completely served prior to the tournament, so he won't be able to play unless the appeal is successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
He needs to serve the games as an active player in Quebec.
Not true.
Quote:
But this is all a mute point as he will probably never serve his suspension.
A "mute point", eh?

jfb392 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:28 PM
  #96
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
The games that Huberdeau is missing because of the WJC camp and tournament itself count towards his suspension total, so he will be fine for the tournament because the Sea Dogs will have played four games by the start of the tournament, meaning he will no longer be suspended.
It's the same situation for Noesen, but his suspension is longer and impossible to be completely served prior to the tournament, so he won't be able to play unless the appeal is successful.

Not true.
A "mute point", eh?
thank you very much. i really hope the appeal for the USA goes successful. would have really loved to see Noesen play on this stage

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:33 PM
  #97
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
They're going to Finland for a few days before Ufa. Rumour has it that Ufa is cloaked in 24 hour darkness for this upcoming week (and possibly beyond!), and the team doesn't want the players to go crazy. I for one can't blame them.
Not quite, sunrise is at 9:30am and sunset is around 4:50pm. From working in the arctic I can tell you that probably means several hours of twilight and a couple hours of daylight. Depending on where they go in Finland I bet its much of the same. Either way I bet Hockey Canada is well aware of this and will be giving them vitamins and what not, for a few weeks it won't be a big deal. Looks like its damn cold in Ufa right now though, not Bryzgalov weather.

40oz is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
  #98
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
It really speaks volumes to the leadership available on team Canada that Phillip Danault (3rd year captain for Victoriaville) and Boone Jenner(3rd year captain for Oshawa) aren't even wearing an A.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering where the toughness and grit will come from, those two will be ready, willing and able. I think that Danault in particular will become a favourite of many by the end of this tournament.
Danault really won me over in the red vs white game. I was like: "who is this guy?" I like his game.

Also, and def not directed at your post but this is the most negative I've ever seen HF for the selection. They are icing the best team in a very long time (some of those 5 golds we got very lucky) and HF is acting like this is the worst team ever!

In fact our forwards and D are so dominant that we only need average goaltending. Usually our hopes are resting on the goalie.

I bet 4/6 D will go unscored on even strength in the tourney.

PumpkinBomb is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
  #99
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
It really speaks volumes to the leadership available on team Canada that Phillip Danault (3rd year captain for Victoriaville) and Boone Jenner(3rd year captain for Oshawa) aren't even wearing an A.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering where the toughness and grit will come from, those two will be ready, willing and able. I think that Danault in particular will become a favourite of many by the end of this tournament.
i also see brett rithcie as a guy that people are going to fall in love with this tournament

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:13 PM
  #100
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a hit from a nineteen year old Bergeron who had been competing in the NHL.

Not that it probably influences your inane conversation.

therealdeal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.