HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 07:22 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I'm sorry, can you please explain how this relates to Nugent-Hopkins. Remember when Tavares didn't get knocked out and dominated as a 17 year old?
Because it happened to Ovechkin....it will happen to RNH.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Why ? Because I voice my disagreement ?
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was referring to you calling everyone a sheep for no reason than to stir the pot.

12-14-2012, 07:41 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Sedin and Zetterberg would be fine with it I'm sure. I went on the presumption that Alfredsson is done.
They might say they're fine with it but choosing a 20 year old to captain your team, over two of the best players in the world and fixtures on team Sweden, could hurt team morale. That'd be like Team Canada choosing Seguin or RNH to captain Team Canada over Crosby. Bad optics.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Remember ovechkin how hit got hit out of the gold medal. Do you homework before. You come up with ur stupidities.
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...

Old
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a seventeen year old, undrafted Sidney Crosby.

International hockey is not about thugs like Tom Wilson. Team Canada will walk all over the competition because they are absolutely loaded with skill. You think these kids will be able to even catch RNH? Nope...
RNH isn't that fast, but I get your point.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Because you insult people if they don't agree with your opinion. You cry about people making assumptions and then call everyone sheep if they don't agree with you. Then you get all huffy when people respond to your nonsense.

Exactly. He's a big canadian fan, but don't like the team. Simple as that.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Are people seriously debating over the captaincy? How can you not pick the guy who's played 80+ games of pro hockey and is clearly the best player on the team? All of the guys on the roster will be looking up to him when they need someone to step up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
There is no questions asked on this one, lol. Guys don't kid yourself. It is self explanitory that RNH should be captain becuase he is the only player on the team who has had a whole year of NHL experience and then some.
I don't have a problem, per se, with RNH being named captain.. but I'll give you the same reasons why I didn't think he should be captain as I gave yesterday: The WJC is a different beast. It's great that RNH has the experience of playing in the NHL, but the pressure you feel playing on the last place Oilers is not the same pressure you feel in a 2-week tournament with the entire country watching, expecting you to win gold (especially in a lockout year). RNH is a good player, clearly the best on Team Canada and it's not as if he has no leadership qualities, he does.. but even with that, I believe they should have gone with someone who was on the team last year; someone who remembers what it felt like to get eliminated from gold contention in the Semi's and who knows that to expect once they get into the elimination games. The guy I felt best suited for the job, and as I posted yesterday, was Jonathan Hubderdeau. He should have been captain, with RNH and Harrington/Hamilton with the A's.

Again, I don't really have a problem with RNH being named captain, but it should have been a returning player IMO.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Most of the people on this board don't know anything and are sheep. Follow the master. No matter what team spot picked I suspect 80 percent of people would follow like sheep. I want people to rub it in my face and prove me wrong at the end. I will be here in January to rub it in all your faces. I'm the biggest team Canada supporter but I will voice my disagreement.
This is second funniest to the poster who said 'the captaincy decision was obviously based around who could afford to take the team for perogies and ice cream after the game'.

If you're the biggest Team Canada supporter you'd know that 100% of us sheep would be behind Shepherd Spott regardless the team he assembles. It's what Canadians do, they cheer for Team Canada hockey. We're all sheep in this together, you included Mr. Nobody!

Last edited by Karitimes: 12-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

it's almost impossible to speculate about captaincy because we don't know who are the leader in the locker room and how the player generally interact with say other, just gotta trust HC on it.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's almost impossible to speculate about captaincy because we don't know who are the leader in the locker room and how the player generally interact with say other, just gotta trust HC on it.
This is true, and at the end of the day, all of the returning players will have a voice and be respected because they've been there before and alot of the guys that don't have WJC experience are captains or alternates on their club teams.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
jigsaw99
#fireAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Landeskog: AHAAHAH I'm Captain of the Avalanche!!!

Nuge: hehe Cool. I'm the Captain of a country.
Edmonton fan i assume?

Landeskog's captaincy is way more impressive.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This is true, and at the end of the day, all of the returning players will have a voice and be respected because they've been there before and alot of the guys that don't have WJC experience are captains or alternates on their club teams.
exactly, can't really go wrong picking leaders for a team that's full of Captains and alternates

Old
12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Edmonton fan i assume?

Landeskog's captaincy is way more impressive.
Landos is more impressive, nothing to do with being an Oiler fan though. Needless jab

Old
12-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 83
I have no issues with the choices for letters. This team is full of leaders and will be fine leadership wise.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:49 PM
JackSlater

What difference does it make who the captains are? The leadership group was always going to be Nugent-Hopkins plus the returning players. The only issue is the slight possibility of the lockout ending and Nugent-Hopkins getting called back, but the captaincy isn't close to being the biggest part of that issue.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:50 PM
bigdirty

It really speaks volumes to the leadership available on team Canada that Phillip Danault (3rd year captain for Victoriaville) and Boone Jenner(3rd year captain for Oshawa) aren't even wearing an A.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering where the toughness and grit will come from, those two will be ready, willing and able. I think that Danault in particular will become a favourite of many by the end of this tournament.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:05 PM
um

Quote:

why is tom wilson a thug? thugs usually aren't PPG in the ohl

Old
12-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Snippit

There's already ton of leadership on this team. It sounds like the team is bonding really well.

They travel to Ufa on Saturday, no?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
There's already ton of leadership on this team. It sounds like the team is bonding really well.

They travel to Ufa on Saturday, no?
They're going to Finland for a few days before Ufa. Rumour has it that Ufa is cloaked in 24 hour darkness for this upcoming week (and possibly beyond!), and the team doesn't want the players to go crazy. I for one can't blame them.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:24 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
ok but say there is not an NHL. is huberdeau serving his suspension witht he games he is missing for camp or will he serve them when he gets back from Ufa?
The games that Huberdeau is missing because of the WJC camp and tournament itself count towards his suspension total, so he will be fine for the tournament because the Sea Dogs will have played four games by the start of the tournament, meaning he will no longer be suspended.
It's the same situation for Noesen, but his suspension is longer and impossible to be completely served prior to the tournament, so he won't be able to play unless the appeal is successful.

Quote:
He needs to serve the games as an active player in Quebec.
Not true.
Quote:
But this is all a mute point as he will probably never serve his suspension.
A "mute point", eh?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:28 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
The games that Huberdeau is missing because of the WJC camp and tournament itself count towards his suspension total, so he will be fine for the tournament because the Sea Dogs will have played four games by the start of the tournament, meaning he will no longer be suspended.
It's the same situation for Noesen, but his suspension is longer and impossible to be completely served prior to the tournament, so he won't be able to play unless the appeal is successful.

Not true.
A "mute point", eh?
thank you very much. i really hope the appeal for the USA goes successful. would have really loved to see Noesen play on this stage

Old
12-14-2012, 10:33 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
They're going to Finland for a few days before Ufa. Rumour has it that Ufa is cloaked in 24 hour darkness for this upcoming week (and possibly beyond!), and the team doesn't want the players to go crazy. I for one can't blame them.
Not quite, sunrise is at 9:30am and sunset is around 4:50pm. From working in the arctic I can tell you that probably means several hours of twilight and a couple hours of daylight. Depending on where they go in Finland I bet its much of the same. Either way I bet Hockey Canada is well aware of this and will be giving them vitamins and what not, for a few weeks it won't be a big deal. Looks like its damn cold in Ufa right now though, not Bryzgalov weather.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
It really speaks volumes to the leadership available on team Canada that Phillip Danault (3rd year captain for Victoriaville) and Boone Jenner(3rd year captain for Oshawa) aren't even wearing an A.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering where the toughness and grit will come from, those two will be ready, willing and able. I think that Danault in particular will become a favourite of many by the end of this tournament.
Danault really won me over in the red vs white game. I was like: "who is this guy?" I like his game.

Also, and def not directed at your post but this is the most negative I've ever seen HF for the selection. They are icing the best team in a very long time (some of those 5 golds we got very lucky) and HF is acting like this is the worst team ever!

In fact our forwards and D are so dominant that we only need average goaltending. Usually our hopes are resting on the goalie.

I bet 4/6 D will go unscored on even strength in the tourney.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
i also see brett rithcie as a guy that people are going to fall in love with this tournament

Old
12-14-2012, 11:13 PM
therealdeal

Quote:

Ovechkin had his shoulder separated by a hit from a nineteen year old Bergeron who had been competing in the NHL.

Not that it probably influences your inane conversation.

Closed Thread