Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
I don't even know how to be sad anymore. I am angry in compensation and, of course take it out on those close to me. Granted, I am not as bad as I used to be (being much more aware of the issue) but its still there.

I generally save it up for Friday night and binge drink and youtebe it all away.
I understand.

try to take in their pain....breathe it in....then let it go with breathing out.....

Old
12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Piers Morgan is bat**** crazy

Old
12-14-2012, 09:55 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
would it be a good idea to require teachers to be trained and carry?
I am a teacher in an urban high school, and since you asked I am going to answer.

This is without question one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
The Last Baron*

Can't believe people are advocating putting MORE firearms in schools.

What happens if a professor has a **** day and feels like blowing off a little steam? What happens if a delinquent gets a hold of a gun?

This is like trying to fix a pair of pants with a glue stick.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post

What happens if a professor has a **** day and feels like blowing off a little steam? What happens if a delinquent gets a hold of a gun?

the answer is not more guns

Old
12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I am a teacher in an urban high school, and since you asked I am going to answer.

Do you have an SRO at your school?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:04 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

So what is the solution to make these incidents disappear or atleast be dealt with before the police are able to arrive?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So what is the solution to make these incidents disappear or atleast be dealt with before the police are able to arrive?
We arm the kids!

Super soakers full of snot and other biological fluid. My 3 kids are walking biohazards as it is. May as well use it for some good.

Perp will be half dead in a puddle of piss w/ a fever so high he forgets his own name, or why he was angry. He'll never get a shot off.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
I'm not sure I have the answer to that...but I sure as hell no that it doesn't include more firearms.

What happens when a teacher tries to shoot the suspect but hits a child instead?

Gun laws in the United States need to be stricter...Old song, but it's message applies today:

Old
12-14-2012, 10:22 PM
patty59

Quote:
It's probably not the answer, but I think that people should be taught about firearms in schools, safe handling, the dangers, the pros etc. I think if people are educated at a young age(not kindergarten obviously) they will gain a healthy respect for firearms.

Firearms are not all bad and I think that people should know this. They are a part of life and being a good marksman can be a useful life skill, there are many olympics sports involving firearms.

Guns are used for a lot more than just killing things/people and I think that teaching children and all people to have a respect for them it could potentially help in the long run.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:23 PM
patty59

Quote:
I'm not sure I have the answer to that...but I sure as hell no that it doesn't include more firearms.

What happens when a teacher tries to shoot the suspect but hits a child instead?

Gun laws in the United States need to be stricter...Old song, but it's message applies today:

How would a stricter gun law prevented what happened today?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

Are they adding extra security there starting on Monday? How did you tell your students?

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
How would a stricter gun law prevented what happened today?
Limited access to firearms is a crucial step. Yes, people will still obtain guns on the black market, but not as easily as people can these days.

Plus, the stats speak for themselves - countries with strict gun control laws have fewer gun-related fatalities per capita than the United States.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:31 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
It's probably not the answer, but I think that people should be taught about firearms in schools, safe handling, the dangers, the pros etc. I think if people are educated at a young age(not kindergarten obviously) they will gain a healthy respect for firearms.

Firearms are not all bad and I think that people should know this. They are a part of life and being a good marksman can be a useful life skill, there are many olympics sports involving firearms.

Guns are used for a lot more than just killing things/people and I think that teaching children and all people to have a respect for them it could potentially help in the long run.
Not really. I've gone my whole life without being near a gun and do pretty well. Then again, I see that you're located in Alberta...TOTALLY different culture than here on the East Coast. I can already see that we won't see eye to eye.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
FWIW, I received this email from my town's school department:

As the details continue to unfold about the tragic school shooting in Newtown, CT, the school department felt it was important to send parents and staff the message below.

During the next several days, your children and our students will, undoubtedly, have lingering questions and potential fears associated with the horrific events that evolved today at Sandy Hook Elementary School in CT. Below please find a few resources you may find helpful as you speak with your children/students. The first resource is a link to a video to iVillage. This video provides advice for talking with children about horrific events. The second resource is from the National Association of School Psychologists and it, too, addresses strategies for speaking with children about violence. That resource is attached to this email. Finally, later tonight I will be posting an update to the Superintendent's Message that can be found on the far left side of the school district website. This message will provide strategies for speaking with children of different ages. The link to our website is also below.

In the short-term, as much as we would like to provide children, their parents, and our staff with guarantees that the Sharon Public Schools are 100% safe and immune from the type of tragedy that gripped Newtown, CT today, that just isn't realistic. We can say, however, that each of our schools has a safety protocol in place, and each school in the system routinely practices lockdown drills. Today's events surface a number of questions about "how" something like this can happen. Rest assured, the school department administration will be working with building principals to review all established safety procedures and to discuss what additional safety provisions may be appropriate. Again, in the short-term, I hope the links and attachment are helpful resources for both parents and school department staff.

iVillage video:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=1745592435001

Yes, I have two kids in the public schools and this incident worries me greatly. There are no answers only more questions and this is no real solution to prevent this from happening again. The best we can hope for is that solutions can be found to prevent this from happening and morons like this idiot will off themselves instead of taking innocents with them.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
patty59

Quote:
Limited access to firearms is a crucial step. Yes, people will still obtain guns on the black market, but not as easily as people can these days.

Plus, the stats speak for themselves - countries with strict gun control laws have fewer gun-related fatalities per capita than the United States.
Every country has fewer gun related fatalities than the USA. Stricter laws won't prevent criminals from committing crimes.

I do think that there should be certain regulations to acquiring firearms. I think the system in Canada is a good one, with the Possession and Acquisition Licence. The registry was a giant waste, but I do think you should have to go through thorough background checks and safety courses and testing before being able to legally purchase a firearm. The problem is that criminals aren't going to go through that hassle.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that Chicago has a hand gun ban. Guess what? There are still a pile of hand gun related crimes in that city. The only thing a hand gun ban does is remove them from law abiding citizens, who are probably rec shooters or collectors.

Personally I don't think a ban is the way to go, I think education would be a better route. Maybe it's just me, but banning rarely works.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:43 PM
neelynugs

i've been sick to my stomach all day - i still cannot believe this happened to a bunch of children

Old
12-14-2012, 10:43 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

If a crazy person comes in with a gun, everyone is going to run. A teacher (or really anyone who is not a cop) is not going to go all Chales Bronson and take them out. This applies to pretty much any public shooting as well. Like the mall in Portland incident earlier this week.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i've been sick to my stomach all day - i still cannot believe this happened to a bunch of children
hi LG. hugs.

it makes no sense

Old
12-14-2012, 10:45 PM
patty59

Quote:
Not really. I've gone my whole life without being near a gun and do pretty well. Then again, I see that you're located in Alberta...TOTALLY different culture than here on the East Coast. I can already see that we won't see eye to eye.
Ya, we probably won't agree politically, but I doubt I have gone a week without using a firearm. That doesn't make me a nutty wacko gun freak, it means that I am a sporting shooter, I shoot mostly shotguns and it's a lot of fun. There are many kids that shoot at our range too, kids as young as 10 years old.

So while they may not be a part of your life, they are a part of mine and all of my family members, we are all law abiding and practice safety at every turn. Restrict my ability to use firearms will not make anyone safer as I would never put someone in danger or even think of harming someone.

The answer is not sticker gun laws, or banning guns, all that does is punish law abiding people as they are the only ones that will follow the law, criminals don't.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

holy ****

I donated 10 dollars to Matt Moulson and Jon Quick's movember page, and by doing so I was entered in a drawing to win one of their jerseys... AND I ACTUALLY WON

Unless this is a cruel joke, I am so happy right now haha

best 10 dollars i ever spent haha

Last edited by Pay Carl: 12-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 10:53 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
holy ****

I donated 10 dollars to Matt Moulson and Jon Quick's movember page, and by doing so I was entered in a drawing to win one of their jerseys... AND I ACTUALLY WON

Unless this is a cruel joke, I am so happy right now haha
Coolness...good to hear some fun news..

Old
12-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Coolness...good to hear some fun news..
I know... He had tweeted out my name as the winner a couple hours ago, but somehow that got lost in my newsfeed amidst everything else

Old
12-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

They are still processing the scene. That means that right now, as I'm tucked in and warm in my bed, there are still kids inside that school.

God that image makes me feel sick.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
They are still processing the scene. That means that right now, as I'm tucked in and warm in my bed, there are still kids inside that school.

God that image makes me feel sick.
I can't even comprehend what it would be like to affected by anything like this. Every time I think about it I get sick to my stomach, it's absolutely sickening that any person could be capable of thinking about doing something like this let alone actually doing it.

Closed Thread