HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Going to the whale game tomorrow - what's the best way to get cheap tix?
Go to the box office? Lower bowl seats are like $25 lol.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:28 PM
dccuse

That can't be the cheapest. From what I've seen here they barely have anyone there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Go to the box office? Lower bowl seats are like $25 lol.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

So nobody has any thoughts on or ideas why Kreider and Miller haven't been tried together on the same line?

Old
12-14-2012, 01:51 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Kreider - Miller - Thomas
Hrivik - Newbury - Kolarik
Haley - Jean - Segal
Grant - Tessier - Bourque

Might be an interesting set of lines - no?

Old
12-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So nobody has any thoughts on or ideas why Kreider and Miller haven't been tried together on the same line?

Totally different styles. You just want our top prospects to play with each other. Why would having an offensive speedster work with a defense-first smart guy?

Old
12-14-2012, 06:32 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
That can't be the cheapest. From what I've seen here they barely have anyone there.
$10 is as cheap as it gets, I think.

(I'll be there tomorrow, too. Can't wait. F--- the NHL.)

Old
12-14-2012, 08:07 AM
colman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Not too familiar with who is who in Greenville, let alone their contract status. But seeing that Mgmt. has no problem sending Missiaen down and signing Hince to PTO, I think it did send a message to the current Dmen.

The only REAL keeper on D is Gilroy due to his offensive strength, but he needs to be put together with a stay-at-home dman. Don't think any D man will go down to the ECHL as all they have is 6 healthy with Niemi out indef. and McIlrath still not ready to play.

Any Greenville followers have an idea who would be the first Dmen to get the call up (in case)?
I would think it would be Desisle or Marcou .Desisle 1 G & a 8 pts plus 15 big Dman. Marcou 4g 9 a 13pts also plus 15 great skater.They are both tied for first in ECHL in plus minus.Desisle came in Nash trade,Marcou FA from Umass also happens to be from Long Island

Old
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colman View Post
I would think it would be Desisle or Marcou .Desisle 1 G & a 8 pts plus 15 big Dman. Marcou 4g 9 a 13pts also plus 15 great skater.They are both tied for first in ECHL in plus minus.Desisle came in Nash trade,Marcou FA from Umass also happens to be from Long Island
F it... bring em up

With only 6 healthy bodies, send down Klassen (just surviving out there it seems) and bring those two up, see what they can or can't do.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
dccuse

whale

sweet - would you mind PMing me with any spots for food before the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
$10 is as cheap as it gets, I think.

(I'll be there tomorrow, too. Can't wait. F--- the NHL.)

Old
12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Osminator

Fugly... CT Whale is 29th out of 30 in attendance this year.
http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Old
12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Gladiators...the local ECHL team here, averages more people per game.

Hilarious.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Gladiators...the local ECHL team here, averages more people per game.

Hilarious.
Here's the ECHL attendance report: http://echl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Old
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Here's the ECHL attendance report: http://echl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance
Can anyone say Orlando Solar Bear Rangers?

Old
12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Totally different styles. You just want our top prospects to play with each other. Why would having an offensive speedster work with a defense-first smart guy?
Uh what?

JT Miller is not a 'defense first' player, he certainly wasn't drafted in that mold either. He's a well-rounded center who offensively is more of a set-up man / playmaker than a goal scorer. He's very strong down low and along the boards. Kreider is also strong along the boards and good at cycling down low. Both players are strong on the puck and do not shy away from physical contact either. Kreider has not been producing so I figured the coaching staff might shuffle the lines up a bit and I asked why these two haven't been tried together. That's all.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Isn't Miller outscoring that offensive speedster?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Thomas just absolutely rifled one on the PP to make it 3-2.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:23 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny

horrific cross-ice giveaway by Sam Klassen in front of his own net leads to unassisted Bobby Butler goal at 17:27...tie game 3-3
I imagine Osminator kicking his computer screen after this happened.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
On top of that, the XL center is ENORMOUS compared to a lot of AHL arenas, making it feel even emptier.

I'd recommend seeing games in Bridgeport, CT over Hartford for anyone that has the option. Seats are still cheap and there's a much nicer atmosphere. You also still tend to see a lot of Rangers fans on any given night.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Kreider is very lucky that there is a lockout. He wouldve been sent down in frustration by now. He reminds me of the young Kovalev during his bad streaks. He is not showing up, then has a burst of speed with the puck a couple of times a game, and when this goes nowhere, he goes back to sleep. Mike Keenan wouldve kicked Kreider in the teeth by now.

I dont want to hear that he is better at higher levels. That has never been proven. The AHL is a very good level, better than WJC. It seems simply that he doesn't show up except for special occasions. There is absolutely no reason Kreider should be pulling this crap. In college, the excuse was that the kids there cant follow Kreider and play on par with him. But AHLers certainly can. He is just not shoeing up unless it is a special event or tournament.

And this makes Ranger depth that much worse. With Gabby injured and Kreider sent down, the Rangers wouldve had no depth at all had there not been a lockout.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:32 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

Quote:
Kreider is very lucky that there is a lockout. He wouldve been sent down in frustration by now. He reminds me of the young Kovalev during his bad streaks. He is not showing up, then has a burst of speed with the puck a couple of times a game, and when this goes nowhere, he goes back to sleep. Mike Keenan wouldve kicked Kreider in the teeth by now.

I dont want to hear that he is better at higher levels. That has never been proven. The AHL is a very good level, better than WJC. It seems simply that he doesn't show up except for special occasions. There is absolutely no reason Kreider should be pulling this crap. In college, the excuse was that the kids there cant follow Kreider and play on par with him. But AHLers certainly can. He is just not shoeing up unless it is a special event or tournament.

And this makes Ranger depth that much worse. With Gabby injured and Kreider sent down, the Rangers wouldve had no depth at all had there not been a lockout.
I have a feeling that Gabby would be playing already if we had a season. And maybe Kreider would be playing fine up here.

Anyway, Kreider is still only 21 years old. Just because he's not breaking scoring records in December doesn't mean he's a bust. No reason to panic.

The same goes for Skjei. So what if he's in a slump? He's young and he's still learning. You guys are making it sound like it's the end of the world. Oh wait....

Old
12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

So Kreider did not excel in WJC tournaments then?

Kreider did not play well being injected directly into the NHL playoffs last season?

Gaborik was expected to be sidelined until December with his injury. We already knew this. So you're saying a struggling 21 year old LW + Gabby's known injury would have meant the Rangers had 'no depth' for this season huh? Seems like stretch doesn't it?

I'm not happy about his lack of production in the AHL but I'm also not writing him off nor the Rangers depth for that matter.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
Kreider is still only 21 years old. Just because he's not breaking scoring records in December doesn't mean he's a bust.
Learn to read. Also maybe try some logic games. Being concerned about a kid's attitude is not the same as proclaiming him a bust. Go look for the word bust in what I wrote. You won't find it.

Nor did I talk about "breaking scoring records" or even scoring period. The problem is that he downright isn't playing hockey. I have no problem with a kid needing time. I always tell people not to go out and say that it will take a draftee two years to crack the NHL because it usually takes longer. But this isn't about learning something he doesn't know. It's about hustling.

Quote:
So Kreider did not excel in WJC tournaments then?
Another one who can't read and assumes the direct opposite of what I just said.

Quote:
Kreider did not play well being injected directly into the NHL playoffs last season?
As I said, special events and tournaments like his first NHL playoffs and WJC, he has bursts of effort. But when it comes to the daily grind, he falls asleep.

Quote:
Gaborik was expected to be sidelined until December with his injury. We already knew this. So you're saying a struggling 21 year old LW + Gabby's known injury would have meant the Rangers had 'no depth' for this season huh? Seems like stretch doesn't it?
Yes, during this calendar year, the Rangers would've had terrible depth.

Our 2, 3 and 4 lines would've looked like this:

Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Rupp - Boyle - Kolarik
Asham - Halpern - Haley

Forgive me for having doubts about this team's ability to score.

And since in addition to our non-existent depth, our RDs would've been Girardi (good), Stralman (bad) and Eminger (bad), we wouldn't have been in the top-8 in the East right now.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old
12-14-2012, 11:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Learn to read. Also maybe try some logic games. Being concerned about a kid's attitude is not the same as proclaiming him a bust. Go look for the word bust in what I wrote. You won't find it.

Nor did I talk about "breaking scoring records" or even scoring period. The problem is that he downright isn't playing hockey. I have no problem with a kid needing time. I always tell people not to go out and say that it will take a draftee two years to crack the NHL because it usually takes longer. But this isn't about learning something he doesn't know. It's about hustling.

Another one who can't read and assumes the direct opposite of what I just said.

As I said, special events and tournaments like his first NHL playoffs and WJC, he has bursts of effort. But when it comes to the daily grind, he falls asleep.

Yes, during this calendar year, the Rangers would've had terrible depth.

Our 2, 3 and 4 lines would've looked like this:

Hagelin - Stepan - Pyatt
Rupp - Boyle - Kotalik
Asham - Halpern - Haley

Forgive me for having doubts about this team's ability to score.

And since in addition to our non-existent depth, our RDs would've been Girardi (good), Stralman (bad) and Eminger (bad), we wouldn't have been in the top-8 in the East right now.
Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, MDZ = non-existent depth??? What makes you think neither of those left-handed D's would have been utilized on the right-side the way we saw during last season? Stralman is certainly not worthy of the 'bad' designation and both him and Eminger logged important minutes for us to help us finish as high as we did in the standings last season in the wake of Staal's injury. Do not write these guys off.

Not even good enough to be in the top 8 in the East?

Wow talk about being overly dramatic.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, MDZ = non-existent depth???
Yes, having 4 defensemen (three of whom are LDs) is not depth. Depth is not the first pairing/line, depth is what you see down the lineup. Having Stralman on the second pairing, Pyatt on the second line and guys like Rupp and Kolarik on the third line is a huge lack of depth.

Additionally, we'd most certainly suffer some injuries, as all teams do. We'd have games when our second pair is Eminger-Stralman, and our second line is Rupp-Stepan-Pyatt.

This is the least deep team in many years, certainly since the rebuilding had begun. And it doesn't help the fact that Hartford is empty. Who are we calling up from there? Gilroy? Newbury? That's bad enough, but what about after that when a really bad injury stretch hits?

Last edited by Beacon: 12-15-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old
12-15-2012, 01:44 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yes, having 4 defensemen (three of whom are LDs) is not depth. Depth is not the first pairing/line, depth is what you see down the lineup. Having Stralman on the second pairing, Pyatt on the second line and guys like Rupp and Kolarik on the third line is a huge lack of depth.

Additionally, we'd most certainly suffer some injuries, as all teams do. We'd have games when our second pair is Eminger-Stralman, and our second line is Rupp-Stepan-Pyatt.

This is the least deep team in many years, certainly since the rebuilding had begun. And it doesn't help the fact that Hartford is empty. Who are we calling up from there? Gilroy? Newbury? That's bad enough, but what about after that when a really bad injury stretch hits?
Some teams have fielded defensive lineups that have 6 left-handed defensemen! Philly did this one year. Someone posted the statistics and there are more teams with an uneven number of left vs. right-handed defensemen then there are teams with an even number. You're making it into a bigger issue than it is.

There is no way to predict exactly how Kreider would be playing under Tortorella's instruction and with the rest of the Rangers line-up including his buddy Stepan. Pressure & Expectations greatly influence performance. Our bottom 6 line-up is not ideal by any means but you keep knocking the Rangers depth in a general sense when in reality it's good and better than most teams when you conider our top 6 forwards and our number of higher end defensemen . Other teams have depth concerns too ya know. We are better off than most teams... Often the team that looks best on paper doesn't produce the expected results when it all comes down to it. Chemistry is key.

Regarding depth in Hartford. You have JT Miller who is showing promise and could have protential to be a late season depth call-up and you also have the trade market as an available option. After this season you have Miller, Fasth, Lindberg, and hopefully a player like McIlrath who could be pushing for full time NHL spots in our line-up. Our depth is better than you give it credit for. Especially when you factor in the two older Swedes who are playing overseas in a men's league.

Closed Thread