HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Coverage of KHL in North America

Old
12-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
That's for sure 100%, canadien commentators will do their best to depreciate the KHL: "soft hockey", "don't know who is this player".
And they will dwell more on NHL problems, than commenting the game.
I don't think Melrose will be commenting even 1 game on TSN.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Mr Writer

I still haven't seen any news releases from TSN re: broadcasting KHL. I doubt very much this will ever happen, TSN is owned by Bell Globe Media, Bell Globe Media owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, TSN is national rights holder to broadcast NHL in Canada, it's contract is up for renewal in 2 years....from a business perspective it makes little sense to broadcast KHL games...but we'll see... if anybody has seen the news release from TSN, please post it here.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:36 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I don't think Melrose will be commenting even 1 game on TSN.
My thoughts exactly. TSN usually does things right. I could see them finding a retired Russian hockey guy to do the commentating.
ESPN and hockey... well...ughhh... thats a different story.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:38 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I still haven't seen any news releases from TSN re: broadcasting KHL. I doubt very much this will ever happen, TSN is owned by Bell Globe Media, Bell Globe Media owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, TSN is national rights holder to broadcast NHL in Canada, it's contract is up for renewal in 2 years....from a business perspective it makes little sense to broadcast KHL games...but we'll see... if anybody has seen the news release from TSN, please post it here.
Okay I dont see how any of that will affect the KHL. Its a different brand of hockey, probably played at a different time slot. It beats watching poker at noon on a friday. Obviously they wont be competing with leaf games for time slots..

Old
12-16-2012, 06:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Deal was not signed at the moment I posted it. Just vicepresident of KHL said that deal should be sign soon, he said maybe TODAY (14.12). You know, now is weekend, nobody working. We will see next week.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
malkinfan

If they do I hope they have a page dedicated to news, blogs, videos, stats etc.. That would be awesome

Old
12-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Any idea on when the broadcasting would start?
I would guess that at the earliest would be once the World Juniors are over. I wonder if they will just leave TSN's crew in Russia following the World Juniors? I assume that for the World Juniors at minimum they have sent two play by play crews (since they seem to be broadcasting two games per day and I'd assume the schedule would resemble the Canadian schedule of alternating venues and the games scheduled are back to back), a couple of stats guys and some techs. I assume they have not sent camera crews and will use the IIHF feed like it seems they do for the Worlds. So I could see this crew sticking around for the KHL coverage until the NHL lockout is over.

Once the lockout ends, I'd assume that the broadcasts will default to someone else. Perhaps TSN will convince Paul Romaniuk to come out of his semi-retirement (from a North American perspective anyway) and do the KHL.

The only drawback to this, is I assume TSN will not broadcast in non-HD, which means some of the KHL arenas will not be shown. I also assume (and rightly so from TSN's perspective) is that they will focus on games with NHL talent. So for teams that have little to no "name" players from a NHL perspective will not be feature, unless they are visiting team. I'm also going to bet that there will be no non-Russian teams' home games shown. If the idea is to leave a crew in Russia (and not call the games from a studio in Toronto), immigration reasons would be a nightmare to schedule them to move around the former USSR. Perhaps the former USSR member states work on common work visas like the EU and then only Lev would be excluded, but I doubt it.

All the same, I hope these games are not shown like Aussie Football on TSN. What I mean is they aren't shown live and that is the only broadcast they have. Since I already PVR so many things, I'd rather not have to allot space for the KHL games too. I'd much rather watch them on TSN2 tape delayed in prime time.

I always enjoy watching hockey from other leagues. During the last lockout, Sportsnet showed the Swedish league and that was fun to watch. I hope that the KHL becomes a staple of programming somewhere, if they broadcast 17 different soccer leagues (or so it seems) across all the channels, why not show other hockey leagues?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

I think TSN would use KHL feed, no crews in Europe.

Quote:
Perhaps the former USSR member states work on common work visas like the EU and then only Lev would be excluded, but I doubt it.
hope I see it... Lev Prague, Slovan Bratislava and Dinamo Riga are clubs which play home games at EU member state (Czech rep, Slovakia, Latvia). If I dont get your idea, so pls sorry.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I think TSN would use KHL feed, no crews in Europe.
I'm not so sure. I'm fairly certain TSN will use one of their own broadcast teams to do the games. If for no other reason than during the lockout, I'd assume TSN will want the broadcasts to resemble their NHL broadcasts. For the Worlds, World Juniors and other international tournaments, TSN send their crews to those nations. They don't call the games from a studio in Toronto. Plus, with the money they are paying these guys to do very little, I'd think they'd send their crews over to broadcast games so they'd earn their cash.

In fact beyond, the Aussie Football League and Formula 1, I'm not sure TSN uses any broadcasts from non-North American sources. F1 uses the British coverage and of course the Aussie Football League uses Australian coverage. Their soccer coverage (aside from some MLS games) comes from ESPN or Fox Soccer Channel.

I certainly hope that in their TSN Panel, they bring in someone with knowledge of the KHL (or at least Russian hockey in general). It would be nice to hear from someone who has been in the league and would know tendencies of certain coaches or teams.

Quote:
hope I see it... Lev Prague, Slovan Bratislava and Dinamo Riga are clubs which play home games at EU member state (Czech rep, Slovakia, Latvia). If I dont get your idea, so pls sorry.
No what I meant is if Russia and the other former USSR states use a common work visa system like the EU does, it would allow a Russia based TSN crew to broadcast games outside of Russia. If they do it would exclude any home games from Lev (forgot about Slovan Bartislava) as they would not fall into this.

I doubt if TSN is arranging work permits for their crews (which they would have to for the World Juniors), they would spend the time and money to do it for the other nations in the KHL, if Russia's work permit is only valid for Russia.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Fulcrum

hmm, well TSN would have to confirm it.

There's a lot of hate towards KHL in NA (years of negative media), so TSN has to realize that they may alienate some of their viewers.

There are already thousands of tweets about 10-15 seconds of KHL highlights, just imagine what entire game slots could do.

It would take quiet a monumental social, marketing, media effort to put a positive spin on KHL or anything Russian for that matter in Canada.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

not TSN, but RDS... still the same owner
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312317

Old
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
not TSN, but RDS... still the same owner
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312317
So, is it a done deal yet or not? Is RDS showing KHL games?

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote