Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
nah68

vCash: 500
To rink rat
First of who is recommending that you join the league with 4 teams? Surely it would'nt be from teams outof the city. It was SMHA would initially made the bid for 6 teams, it was then the people who "voted" not to join but to stay. We could dispute the reasons forever, but 1 things for sure there is a division with people wanting to stay and wanting to leave. My opinion, you decide amongst yourselves, if your happy with the GSHL, stay. If your not, leave, its simple. And if your not in favour of staying but have to go with the majority, do like others have and live with Grandparents, uncles, and aunties. Thats another topic for another day.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
I think you're on the money here. I watched Mcleod quite a bit last year, incredible transitional speed. Looked real good but didn't pass puck, he made no one better last year. Speed will take him only as far as his team play allows him. So improve team play and look out... Doesn't finish well around the net, hands need to improve.

Gryzbowski is a tender from SV to watch. Forget about his stats, he's being relied on by SV to shoulder the load as a first year. Excellent positionally, very focused student of the game and will not quit. He plays the tough minutes against the harder teams and for that his stats suffer. Not getting much help from what I understand from some of the players in front of him.
Seen him in Regina, was talking to some NB fans....they say his closest center in NB?

Old
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Seen him in Regina, was talking to some NB fans....they say his closest center in NB?
Nope, as the crow flies (SHA rules) he's closer to SV...

Old
12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
You gotter pokecheck....very good players put out by both leauges. I personally don't care how bad Sask teams get bludgened at westerns, cause to get there you have to win the province and thats the gold at the end of the rainbow.
And that's what it is about, really and honestly. You are able to say you are the best in your province. A four game series at westerns means absolutely squat in the long run. As a parent group and coaching staff, people must work together to improve the kids, expose the kids to quality tournaments and the rest will fall in to place.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
To rink rat
First of who is recommending that you join the league with 4 teams? Surely it would'nt be from teams outof the city. It was SMHA would initially made the bid for 6 teams, it was then the people who "voted" not to join but to stay. We could dispute the reasons forever, but 1 things for sure there is a division with people wanting to stay and wanting to leave. My opinion, you decide amongst yourselves, if your happy with the GSHL, stay. If your not, leave, its simple. And if your not in favour of staying but have to go with the majority, do like others have and live with Grandparents, uncles, and aunties. Thats another topic for another day.
And here in lies the problem. You do have peope that are torn in GSHL. I've been exposed to both systems and I must say that my preference is the C4 and SBAAHL. But, that's my opinion.

The funny business with living with grand parents, etc, etc, has been going on forever too. I have more respect for parents who make their child play where they belong and MAKE the rest of the team better. That's the true measure of a great player. Is it frustrating yes, you bet. But what does it matter. Another thing is what the h**l are these parents teaching their kids by jockying them around? That it's "okay" to "cheat a little." If he has the coaching and his skill keeps improving, he will make that jump to the next level. Let's not forget, that's why we have the SASK FIRST program. To identify skill, to place players on an equal playing field. I say it to parents all the time, stick to the solid coaching, invest in some quality instruction over the summer and everything will work out fine.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
I completely agree with this, as do most of the people I talk to about this issue. But if not to perform better at Westerns, then what is the reasoning for contracting Bantam AA hockey so significantly in the province? The province has gone from 29 to 23 AA teams in two years, and most are suggesting that Saskatoon should chop another two teams. Even if we did that - hell, even if we chopped another 10 teams - we'd still barely compete at Westerns. But that's what I don't get - if not to compete at Westerns, then why contract?

Based on the logic most of the SK hockey community uses, if Saskatoon went down to a single team (like Burnaby) it would be the destination team for all the top players in the province. Why? Because it would win every game it played all season, regardless of the opponent, and that's what parents seem to care about.
Honestly the SBAAHL is far better set up than the previous system. Let's face it folks, there were just too many teams and the bottom 3-4 struggled relentlessly. I believe Unity was in the bantam league 3-4 years ago and they were getting beat handily. Warman used to make it look like a game played by AA bantam vs. an atom tier II. Not fun. The bottom line is there are only so many quality AA kids. You can not have more teams for the sake of having more players. If skill lacks, the whole league suffers. There is nothing wrong with quality kids having to travel to play on fewer teams. I know kids that do not travel (personal choice) who could play AA and they make their house teams better. So who really loses? No one.

If the GSHL cut down to 4 teams and joined SBAAHL they would be competitive. Why? You've removed the bottom 7-10 players from the league. (arguably all bubble kids). This lets the bubble kids improve at tier II, get confidence, then step up to AA the following year... I see nothing wrong with this. Neither do most parents I talk to. But alas, my opinion only. Hockey is often driven by parents (who are executive members too), coaches (with self serving agendas) which want more teams... Why? To allow their own bubble kids to play. Then they get there and have no confidence because they simply are not measuring up. Surely some folks must see this as well. In comparison, the SBAAHL and C4 kids have to travel to try out. Generally speaking, the selection is made based on the best 15 kids at camp + two goalies. In my experience it's been cut and dry. You are often getting a better product because the kids are more focused... They have one shot or it's house league. That's why I find C4 and SBAAHL kids a little more dialed in.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=PokeCheck101;56195505]And here in lies the problem. You do have peope that are torn in GSHL. I've been exposed to both systems and I must say that my preference is the C4 and SBAAHL. But, that's my opinion.

Brings me to the question....if the split exists, and the option is there to be on a team in the sbaahl, why wouldn't Stoon parents pursue that option? They have kids playing in the city from beyond the boundaries, so why not the other way. And in looking at some of the past posts, the reason folk's don't want to leave the gshl is to retain some of the players that are close to the aa level.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
SaskRinkRat

[QUOTE=nah68;56230751]
Quote:
And here in lies the problem. You do have peope that are torn in GSHL. I've been exposed to both systems and I must say that my preference is the C4 and SBAAHL. But, that's my opinion.

Brings me to the question....if the split exists, and the option is there to be on a team in the sbaahl, why wouldn't Stoon parents pursue that option? They have kids playing in the city from beyond the boundaries, so why not the other way. And in looking at some of the past posts, the reason folk's don't want to leave the gshl is to retain some of the players that are close to the aa level.
Not sure, but I have two guesses:

1) The option is really not there and the notion that there are players from outside the Saskatoon boundary playing in Saskatoon is vastly over-stated, and/or

2) The GSHL is flat-out better for player-development.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
nah68

[QUOTE=SaskRinkRat;56233287]
Quote:
Not sure, but I have two guesses:

1) The option is really not there and the notion that there are players from outside the Saskatoon boundary playing in Saskatoon is vastly over-stated, and/or

2) The GSHL is flat-out better for player-development.
Sorry but it is not overstated, its a guarantee that there are players that belong to other communities playing in the city....whether they are at the tier 1,2, or 3 level they are there! If you believe otherwise so be it, thats the whole idea isn't it, deception by parents whole believe they are helping there kid, over helping the community that he or she belongs to.
As for the GSHL being "flat out better" I guess you win, thats why everyone wants in and no one is allowed out, right? Kids that left who are supposedly "chasing a dream" left for just that reason, right? Or is it the fact that the minority actually makes the decisions for the majority. And I surely am not going to be the one to discredit there choice....its there kids life. And really what would it matter if someone wished to be released to try elsewhere, you then have the ability to move a few more kids from the tier2 spots and get that player development to another individual. Like Ive said before if you wish to stay, stay. But surely if someone wanted to leave they should be allowed to. Seems to me like its a one way street.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:06 AM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Sorry JumboJake, I should have edited my post better. Of course he got fired for the team just being plain lousy. They will be lousy this year as well. They will be lousy next year, and the year after that and so on and so on. They should be a better team because of the Jr A Stars, but that is not going to be the case. They will not have a winning AAA Team for the next three years at least.
I have almost come to the point where I have told the wife " no Christmas turkey for me hon' still full of crow." Hard working team. Thank goodness for the Stoon cuts but I can't give credit to Marty...just can't. Good for them, just keep it up.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
coach kleats

PA Tourny

Anyone in PA who can update the scores for us. I don't think they have a website anymore.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
northernblizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
I have almost come to the point where I have told the wife " no Christmas turkey for me hon' still full of crow." Hard working team. Thank goodness for the Stoon cuts but I can't give credit to Marty...just can't. Good for them, just keep it up.
Sorry, but I think a lot of people are going to have to give all the coaching staff credit for how this team is exceeding original expectations. I was at the game last night against the Contacts and witnessed a game where very hard work and discplined play won out against a team that has more skill. The Contacts went into their dressing room stunned after the first period.

IDC, I don't think you are the only one eating crow..... Pretty sure I have a few feathers in my mouth as well.
Can't waut to hear from Supertacks.....

Old
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Superbowlfishca

PA Tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
anyone in pa who can update the scores for us. I don't think they have a website anymore.
wehp

Old
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Superbowlfishca

PA Tourney Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
Anyone in PA who can update the scores for us. I don't think they have a website anymore.
WEHP at this link and he has a twitter account that he is updating on some games.
http://westernelitehockeyprospects.blogspot.ca/

Old
12-08-2012, 03:57 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
wehp
go to Prince Albert minor hockey website

Old
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
supertacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernblizzard View Post
Sorry, but I think a lot of people are going to have to give all the coaching staff credit for how this team is exceeding original expectations. I was at the game last night against the Contacts and witnessed a game where very hard work and discplined play won out against a team that has more skill. The Contacts went into their dressing room stunned after the first period.

IDC, I don't think you are the only one eating crow..... Pretty sure I have a few feathers in my mouth as well.
Can't waut to hear from Supertacks.....
Was at the game in PA last night. Same result, semi locals Hope and Blaquiere seem to have the Stars number. That being said, it is probably a good thing Hintz and Spencer Bast are signed. They should be worried about two local kids unsigned but could be playing, being lured away to another team. Along with a couple more semi locals. That could come back to haunt them as in PA.
Now it is a surprise that the Stars are having a good run.
First, Dallen Schwab is out of the picture. This might give Smith a chance to be his own man. Schwab was there for one reason, his kid.
Second, good goaltending. No big blowouts.
Third, hard working players.
Forth, it is rumoured the league and sha has told the Stars to clean up their act or there is a chance of loosing the team. Kindersley, Humboldt and Meadow Lake are waiting for a chance to get this club. After last years problems, all eyes are on the Stars management and staff. That might be it alone!
It is still too early to get all warm and fuzzy about the coaching, for the players, keep up the good work!

Old
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
mrbodangles

mintos vs contacts

Looks like contacts finished their gm vs mintos with class . NOT !

Old
12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodangles View Post
Looks like contacts finished their gm vs mintos with class . NOT !
What happened? Missed it.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
PokeCheck101

What's going on down in Moose Jaw bantam AA? Doing very poorly again this year and on par with last year's performance. Is it poor selection, lack of talent, coaching, minor hockey system? I'm not in tune with the south as much. Anyone?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
pucktalk

Quote:
What's going on down in Moose Jaw bantam AA? Doing very poorly again this year and on par with last year's performance. Is it poor selection, lack of talent, coaching, minor hockey system? I'm not in tune with the south as much. Anyone?
They also lost 2 of their top players to Notre Dame.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:18 AM
nah68

Did anyone hear about the dismanteling of the spring hockey programs, I hear the huskies have taken on the role of getting all the age groups rolling. What does this do to the programs like blades, Saskcan, and Quest. I do truly believe though that it should be one program for the elite kids and done, one team in the south, one in the north. This crap of making teams because your kid gets cut from one, has happened in the past and caused Sask team to be weak at the spring tourneys. I heard theres like 5 or 6, 2001 age group teams in saskatoon alone. Worse yet are programs that have a chance to excel but don't because of parent coaches with a personal agenda for there kid. BLOWER UP! lets make some damn good hockey teams!

Old
12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucktalk View Post
They also lost 2 of their top players to Notre Dame.
That's only two players. Generally speaking one has to look inward first and you can often find the problem. Is it possible Moose Jaw minor is lagging in development.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Superbowlfishca

Estevan 4-2 Over PA

Quote:
Here my picks 99's, Best D man in my opinion is Landon Markovich from P.a, skilled, with speed and grit, followed closely by Jake Hobson(p.A) and Ashton Heidt Saskatoon. Best forwards, top kid would be Gardner from Humbolt, followed by Holt(stoon), and Connor Tuffs from NE. Honorable mention to Sawchuk, P.a, vogel, and mcleod(stoon) Bosch westcentral. Mcleod could be the tops if he has changed his game from individual to team, he is ultimately the fastest kid Ive seen. Goalies is ?
No Landon Markovich on D. Is he injured? Sawchuk was very good for PA despite size. Hobson D struggled. Big body but had his hands full with Estevans speed forwards. Estevan is much improved team(give coaching huge credit) as line of Morisson-Stephenson and Ganson dominated even when playing against Warketine-Isbister -? Line. Estevan much improved even with injuries. Both teams played with short benches in this game. PA outshot Estevan by ten and Phairin goal for Estevan was solid as he has been the last month or so.

Agree with previous posts that PA will most likely have a difficult time hanging with West Central and now especially NE. Still have not seen NE play but by the looks of PA tournament results they are the team to beat up North. Reason I say this is I have seen West Central play twice this year. This team is beatable. Like all teams in the SBAAL they have depth issues and as I have posted before on any given night any team can beat another. This bodes well for the rest of the year!

Old
12-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Superbowlfishca

MJ Minor Hockey

Quote:
Couple of things about MJ. They have always been a closed center for hockey up to BantamAA level. This means that unlike PA(with similiar pop of 35k) they do not draw outside their boundries and therfore population wise it puts them behind most of the centers in SBAAHL(regina has three teams from 200K). MJ also has an aging population so the only way to properly evaluate all centers would be by number of actual youth players playing in the centers. Statistics I dont have but SHA would have and Im not sure if SHA provides the areas with evaluations of this type in order to determine how each center is doing in player development.

That being said, I do think MJ has a philisophical problem in the way they approach their hockey. I say this because for years I have wondered why they dont have an Atom AA program given their populations size. If you look at the south centers that have an Atom AA program(Yorkton - Weyburn- Estevan-Regina) they traditionally have far stronger teams than MJ. Its not the Atom AA program per se, but the ideal that part of your hockey program should be designed to develop players to play at the elite level. All I have heard from parents out of MJ is their minor hockey has first a closed door mentality and second have that communist attitude that all players should be treated the same, no matter the skill level, with the "Hope" that it will to be the benefit of all kids in the long run. This mentality and model from my point of view will not work. Cant comment on the coaching but if this philosophy carries over into the coaching I see it as a detriment.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Did anyone hear about the dismanteling of the spring hockey programs, I hear the huskies have taken on the role of getting all the age groups rolling. What does this do to the programs like blades, Saskcan, and Quest. I do truly believe though that it should be one program for the elite kids and done, one team in the south, one in the north. This crap of making teams because your kid gets cut from one, has happened in the past and caused Sask team to be weak at the spring tourneys. I heard theres like 5 or 6, 2001 age group teams in saskatoon alone. Worse yet are programs that have a chance to excel but don't because of parent coaches with a personal agenda for there kid. BLOWER UP! lets make some damn good hockey teams!
So what would you recommend for players that aren't able to crack the one remaining lineup? Baseball?

Closed Thread