HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIIII: "We're Close" "We're Not Close" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
So the union talks about disclaiming...
The NHL says "Go ahead! We don't think it'll work the way you do"
The PA votes on giving the board the power to vote for disclaiming (not a vote on the NHL's last proposal mind you).
The NHL beats them to the courts (NY ones at that).
The NHLPA then... What? Sends a letter and has it post stamped from like a week ago so that it appears as if they disclaimed prior to the NHL filing their suit?

Oh the drama! Like sands through the hour glass...

Old
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
They can care less about the fans, this is ridiculous.
This is really news to you? The first lockout and subsequent lost seaon didn't demonstrate both sides complete indifference to the fans?

12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The players vote begins tomorrow and ends 5 days later.

Quote:
If two-thirds of players say yes, the Board will have until January 2 to end the NHLPA status as a union.
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...76289883000832

Quote:
Beyond that, for the most part the overriding message I got from comparing the two documents is that for all the ups and downs of this dispute, on the NHL side the playbook was written well in advance and they’re walking step for step in the trail blazed by the NBA.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-illuminating/

Old
12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This is really news to you? The first lockout and subsequent lost seaon didn't demonstrate both sides complete indifference to the fans?
They were miles apart last time around it was pretty obvious the whole season would be lost. They are inches apart now and the fact that they are dragging this out is just infuriating. I can't imagine they are dumb enough to blow another whole season. I'm eager to see what they have in store for us fans though this time around when/if this season ever starts. The "thank you fans" thing was so poignant! Don't know how they can top that!!!

Old
12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What if they have 2/3rds of membership tomorrow? Is there any need to wait 5 days?

Old
12-15-2012, 12:09 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

No hockey.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:32 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
No hockey.
What is hockey???? Lol. I
Really hope the stars stay in Europe. And the NHL gets a lower status than the MLS oh I mean NASL. franchises become garbage and salaries go
Back to 1980's totals.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
So the union talks about disclaiming...
The NHL says "Go ahead! We don't think it'll work the way you do"
The PA votes on giving the board the power to vote for disclaiming (not a vote on the NHL's last proposal mind you).
The NHL beats them to the courts (NY ones at that).
The NHLPA then... What? Sends a letter and has it post stamped from like a week ago so that it appears as if they disclaimed prior to the NHL filing their suit?

Oh the drama! Like sands through the hour glass...
I don't think it matters that the NHL filed a suit with the NLRB before the NHLPA filed a letter of disclaimer. It seems to be more about the NHL getting their ducks in a row than something that gives them a tactical advantage in the end. I believe the NBA did the same thing...they filed a lawsuit in August saying pretty much exactly the same things the NHL is saying, but the players still voted to disclaim the union and several players filed lawsuits against the league after that.

Really, it's stupid and scary how closely this mirrors the NBA's lockout. The owners tactics are exactly the same, the script is exactly the same, except the NHL seems willing to take it to the extreme and kill another season or more

edit: Really, if the players are ready to go through with this and the league can't get the whole thing tossed out, the NHL will be in a bad way. Lawsuits won't be over with quickly and losing a year+ will kill the league. Despite their bluster, I can't imagine the league really wants this to happen. Of course, the players certainly don't benefit in the short run either

edit2: Apparently the NHL is trying to get a ruling that all contracts will be void if the NHLPA files the disclaimer. Ultimately I don't think the NHL wants that either...it'd be freakin' chaos if all contracts were actually voided and couldn't be reinstated, but if they could be reinstated why would the players care? And hell, everyone becoming a free agent probably doesn't sound all that bad to players and their agents, but a freakin' nightmare for NHL teams

Last edited by Levitate: 12-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Can't believe how this spiraled down.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
At least you can think about that and smile when hes price gouging you for tickets, concessions, and merchandise.
lol Can't argue against that! Can't control it. Just have to be balanced in spending.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Lundsanity30

Ranger fan or not I'm done with NHL. No other sport cares less about its fans

Old
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm done, guys. This suit is it for me. I love the sport, but I'm no longer a NHL fan. I may follow the Rangers after this, but this is the straw that breaks the camels back.
You'll be back

Can't stay away from NHL...Rangers will play again. And you'll be back

The NHL knows it too

Old
12-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
lol Can't argue against that! Can't control it. Just have to be balanced in spending.
Whatever floats your boat.

Just hope you realize the main reason Dolan wants to play hockey is because hes got a very large base of people that sink their money into his team.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

The entire situation is laughable at this point. All because the two sides can't compromise on term length and CBA length. Hysterical.

12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

So if the NHL voids all current contracts, what happens? The league would be pretty much blown up

Old
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
So if the NHL voids all current contracts, what happens? The league would be pretty much blown up
i've heard many interpretations of the void part of the file. some say that if means the nhl protects itself so they don't have to pay the players, since the lockout will technically be over after this, when it goes to court (if i'm reading that correctly). another interpretation is what you're saying, that all players would be UFA at the resolution of the lockout, or would be grandfathered in.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

If the NHL loses another entire season to a lockout the owners are really going to have to sit down and question whether its even worth opening up shop again. To lose one season to a lockout was unprecedented, to lose two seasons in less than ten years signifies serious fundamental problems that really go beyond what the NHL is even addressing here. The 50-50 split and contract limits still are not going to make the Coyotes, the Blue Jackets etc. financially viable. Eventually the NHL is going to have to trim the weeds.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The entire situation is laughable at this point. All because the two sides can't compromise on term length and CBA length. Hysterical.
Variance is another issue that is major stumbling block

NHL wants 5% ,, NHLPA keeps demanding absurd contract variances

Old
12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
If the NHL loses another entire season to a lockout the owners are really going to have to sit down and question whether its even worth opening up shop again. To lose one season to a lockout was unprecedented, to lose two seasons in less than ten years signifies serious fundamental problems that really go beyond what the NHL is even addressing here. The 50-50 split and contract limits still are not going to make the Coyotes, the Blue Jackets etc. financially viable. Eventually the NHL is going to have to trim the weeds.
The Jackets can work

The market was very strong thru some bad teams ,, The fans just got sick of the horrid run organization

Columbus can work as well as Pittsburgh and Buffalo in longrun

Old
12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Variance is another issue that is major stumbling block

NHL wants 5% ,, NHLPA keeps demanding absurd contract variances
My issue with the NHL is if they get the variance, why does there have to be a strict term limit as 5 years? I'm fully behind preventing cap circumvention but they're trying to prevent GM stupidity too.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Look at the # of posts in this thread as opposed to the last... People don't care! It's the holidays, and this situation is... At best ridiculous and at worst pathetic.

No

One

Cares!!!!

Old
12-15-2012, 11:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Look at the # of posts in this thread as opposed to the last... People don't care! It's the holidays, and this situation is... At best ridiculous and at worst pathetic.

No

One

Cares!!!!
It's not that we don't care, it's that we don't have any say in the matter, so there's no point expending much energy debating who's at fault or how best to resolve it. In the end it's just upsetting that they really don't give a crap about us other than to extract as much money from us as possible.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:28 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Have been busy past few days and just haven't cared much.

Season basically lost at this point?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Have been busy past few days and just haven't cared much.

Season basically lost at this point?
I

Rest

My

Case

Old
12-15-2012, 11:41 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:

No

One

Cares!!!!
I think you're right in a sense. I still care, I still have Twitter open all day every day (though I don't know why). Thing is, I think most people have finally come to terms with, or finally realized, that this is a charade from both the league and the PA. That we'll have 48 or 0. And until a "drop dead" date is announced, if one ever is, there probably won't be any real negotiating.

Closed Thread