HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
One of the worst books I've ever read.

I'm sure the story was fine if you're into that kinda stuff...but damn it, Tolkien was an awful writer.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I hate when delivery people (I.E. FedEx or UPS) are lazy and don't leave delivery notices. I was expecting a very important package to be delivered today and sure enough when I get the call from the delivery people for me to buzz them into my apartment complex...I'm in the shower. So I run down afterwards and look for a delivery notice and of course...with my luck...there isn't one.

Normally I wouldn't care, but this is an early Christmas gift for my fiancee that I've been waiting 3 weeks for.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 12-14-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

vCash: 500
So I finally had time to watch last week's Parks and Rec episode. That was truly the best episode I've seen in a long time. Swanson at his finest.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I hate when delivery people (I.E. FedEx or UPS) are lazy and don't leave delivery notices. I was expecting a very important package to be delivered today and sure enough when I get the call from the delivery people for me to buzz them into my apartment complex...I'm in the shower. So I run down afterwards and look for a delivery notice and of course...with my luck...there isn't one.

Normally I wouldn't care, but this is an early Christmas gift for my fiancee that I've been waiting 3 weeks for.
Yeah, I've been in a similar situation before. Made me rage pretty hard.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Another school shooting today. Glad I don't have kids. I'd be scared to even send them to school these days.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
JTG

Christmas was completely ruined for a lot of people today. My heart completely breaks for them.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

"Some people just want to watch the World burn." Tragic to hear.

Reminder, please don't bring up Gun Control in this thread, Thanks.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Mr. T

A guy from my company was in town this week to work with my team. His wife works in the hospital where a lot of the victims were taken. He spoke to his wife right after this went down. He told us the body count before it made the news. It was surreal and sickening all at once. Just absolutely tragic. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So who here besides me is done their Christmas shopping???
MEEEE!!!!!! *puts hand up*

I was done a few weeks ago mainly because I wasn't sure if there was going to be anything further at work beyond the end of last month now that the Australian Tax Season has ended for another year.

However, I did pick up some work in another section and I do get the Christmas/New Year period off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Another school shooting today. Glad I don't have kids. I'd be scared to even send them to school these days.
Damn Guns. I hate them.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

My GF has a son about to turn 6. Even imagining him going through what happened at that school is terribly, terribly rough.

I don't even know what to say to express my feelings.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
One of the worst books I've ever read.

I'm sure the story was fine if you're into that kinda stuff...but damn it, Tolkien was an awful writer.
There are a lot of things that I do not care for. Hell, 99% of the movies my girlfriend picks fall into that catagory, especially when she says that she read that it was so well acted, or this actor or that was up for some award. That said, I can hate it but appreciate something that is good.

Calling Tolkien an awful writer is just not a legitimate opinion. It just isn't. Not liking his stuff is. But what he accomplished is amazing.

He did what a lot of the greats have done in literature, took a life changing event, WWI where basically the entirety of the male portion of his village was wiped out (the british had this stupid notion that people would fight together best who grew up together and lost virtually entire villages in WWI in that way) and turned the event into great literature to try and come to grips with what happened. In the end it is a very depressing moral. The hobbits were the innocent villagers he grew up with and the 'super hero' of the books, Frodo, his only power was being so innocent that he would not let his greed for power fall to the ring. But in the end, what does he do but take it for himself proving that there really is no good or innocence in the world. The world was not saved by some inner goodness or character of the salt of the earth farmers he grew up with but by mere chance when two greedy people fought over the ring and one fell into the lava. Chance not God, not some great good. What a depressing moral. But there is a greatness there. Like I said you can say that it is not your thing. But you can not say that it was awful writing and maintian a shred of legitimacy.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

I think he's a good storyteller, and I liked the LotR movies.

But his writing was nothing short of excruciating. It's stream-of-consciousness, plodding, meandering, adverb-crazy bull****.

There's a difference between being able to tell a good story and being a good writer.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Finally made the jump from PC to an Apple product. Very happy I did so. I guess after using a 9 year old computer, anything is going to seem incredible following that, lol. But a few days into an Imac and I am very pleased.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

I caught my toaster on fire this morning. This is not going to be a good day.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I think he's a good storyteller, and I liked the LotR movies.

But his writing was nothing short of excruciating. It's stream-of-consciousness, plodding, meandering, adverb-crazy bull****.

There's a difference between being able to tell a good story and being a good writer.
Heh, sounds like we are arguing over semantics, but not really. The difference is between not caring for a book or liking an author and making a statement that he is a 'awful writer'. I do not especially care for Hemmingway. 'I ate the hamburger. It was a good burger. A manly burger. Then we went to war and killed men in manly ways.' No I do not care for his writing, but I can appreciate his writing. And even if I could not the rest of the world does, so if my opinion differs from the rest of the educated world, if I really even care to do so, I would need to really understand what he is doing and why they appreciate his writing before I can put myself way out on that limb to say that he is an 'awful writer'. And I had better have a lot of well reasoned arguments to support my premise that flies in the face of the better part of a century of literary critics who say otherwise. There is a huge difference between not liking something and saying that it is awful. Stephanie Meyers is a 'good story teller' who is an 'awful writer'. I can support that statement. Well the awful writer part, good story teller maybe not. Harry Potter books as well. Without much effort at all. The Tolkien one? Not so much.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
with regards to JRR, i'll say this: i wish even a fraction of the energy spent gushing over his fiction was spent on his academic writing. the The Monsters and the Critics article had a lasting impact on the way i read and interpret myth. too say nothing of his work on Gawain (hey, looks like W.S. Merwin has a new translation, that might be worth checking out).

Old
12-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Heh, sounds like we are arguing over semantics, but not really. The difference is between not caring for a book or liking an author and making a statement that he is a 'awful writer'. I do not especially care for Hemmingway. 'I ate the hamburger. It was a good burger. A manly burger. Then we went to war and killed men in manly ways.' No I do not care for his writing, but I can appreciate his writing. And even if I could not the rest of the world does, so if my opinion differs from the rest of the educated world, if I really even care to do so, I would need to really understand what he is doing and why they appreciate his writing before I can put myself way out on that limb to say that he is an 'awful writer'. And I had better have a lot of well reasoned arguments to support my premise that flies in the face of the better part of a century of literary critics who say otherwise. There is a huge difference between not liking something and saying that it is awful. Stephanie Meyers is a 'good story teller' who is an 'awful writer'. I can support that statement. Well the awful writer part, good story teller maybe not. Harry Potter books as well. Without much effort at all. The Tolkien one? Not so much.
I'm not alone in thinking the way I do about Tolkien, the vast majority of professors I've had didn't think highly of him and I've read a ton of critical stuff about his paper - in academic circles he's not exactly revered as an example of a fine writer in most situations. You'll find some who will say otherwise...but yeah.

He was a linguist who rambled. That puts him well above all-around useless drivel like Stephanie Meyers, but from a technical standpoint he was lousy.

Mind you I am a huge fan of Hemingway's style. I love authors who could get their point across without taking 15 pages to describe a damn bridge. I was also a writing student. There was a huge split in the English Department at Montana when it came to certain authors - just about every student in the Literature path adored Tolkien (and Potter) while just about every student in the Writing path (and the professors there) saw him as nothing more than a technically challenged stream-of-conscious mediocrity.

Like I've said before...I appreciate his stories, at least, The Lord of the Rings movies are very good...but The Hobbit ranks above only Atlas Shrugged when it comes to the worst book I've read since I was 14.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

you know whats better than 15 pages to describe a bridge? a movie camera panning across the bridge.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Dylonus

Went to Pirates fan fest today. Got McCutchen's autograph and paid $20 for this bag of goodies...

In it had a nice big blanket, nice shirt, hat, two free grandstand tickets to any game of my choice (other than opening day or weekend) AND two CLUB seats (same rules apply)

Paid $20 and got over $150 worth of items

My wife is very happy. Looks like we're going to the game with club seats on our anniversary

Old
12-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
Like I've said before...I appreciate his stories, at least, The Lord of the Rings movies are very good...but The Hobbit ranks above only Atlas Shrugged when it comes to the worst book I've read since I was 14.
Ayn Rand truly is a wretched, wretched writer, isn't she? Her philosophy is defensible depending on your point of view, but her writing is all kinds of awful.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Dylonus

http://www.inquisitr.com/440355/west...-for-shooting/

****ing unreal. These low-life ****** make me sick. I still remember Texas A&M students standing up to them and winning the battle.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

They're a group that the KKK has called out as 'hate-mongers'. Let's stop giving them the attention they crave and just ignore them. They'll eventually just die.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Iggy Smalls

They made headlines in MD, actually at my high school, when my classmate's brother (also same HS alum) was killed in Afghanistan two years ago. After about two weeks of coverage in local newspapers they ended up not appearing despite claiming they'd show up leading up to the funeral a day before.
Sad.

I hope their latest protest is just "talk" as well.

Last edited by Iggy Smalls: 12-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

My iPhone that I have had for just over a year has overheated and won't even work....Waaahhhhhhh

Old
12-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Quote:
They're a group that the KKK has called out as 'hate-mongers'. Let's stop giving them the attention they crave and just ignore them. They'll eventually just die.

With the way social media is today, these people are always going to get their attention fix. No way is this group going to die out, unless someone takes it in to their own hands.

Closed Thread