Official Off-topic Thread XLVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 10:08 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
They are still processing the scene. That means that right now, as I'm tucked in and warm in my bed, there are still kids inside that school.

God that image makes me feel sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I can't even comprehend what it would be like to affected by anything like this. Every time I think about it I get sick to my stomach, it's absolutely sickening that any person could be capable of thinking about doing something like this let alone actually doing it.
The fact that this devil had already killed his mom at home, actually drove to the school to kill the innocent little children is the most cruel thing I have ever seen. I swear, just when I think the last tragedy I heard was the worst, something else beats it. I am done. I am brokenhearted. My niece is in kindergarten. I cannot even imagine losing her. I haven't cried this much, or this long since my mother died 13 years ago..Who slaughters ****ing 5 and 6 year olds? What kind of satan?... just devastating and I can only hope and pray the hundreds of relatives can someone get through this.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Neely08

Quote:
They are still processing the scene. That means that right now, as I'm tucked in and warm in my bed, there are still kids inside that school.

God that image makes me feel sick.
Now imagine having two kids in preschool, and one in kindergarten.

How do I protect them at school?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Powerful moment. I started crying when #32 did.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Now imagine having two kids in preschool, and one in kindergarten.

How do I protect them at school?
gave my kindergartner a huuuge hug and kiss when i picked him this evening. Less than 10 mins later I was, and I quote - "the worst daddy in the world! hhmmmph!!" because I told him he couldn't have ice cream before dinner. any other night and he gets a warning with possible TO for next temper tantrum infraction. Tonight? Music to my ears and more hugs and kisses.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
gave my kindergartner a huuuge hug and kiss when i picked him this evening. Less than 10 mins later I was, and I quote - "the worst daddy in the world! hhmmmph!!" because I told him he couldn't have ice cream before dinner. any other night and he gets a warning with possible TO for next temper tantrum infraction. Tonight? Music to my ears and more hugs and kisses.
you made me cry.

worst dad in the world. lol

Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
When I heard 2 shooters I told my wife to yank them outta school. Assumed terrorism, you never know anymore. My youngest boy does the "hmmmmppf" thing, too. But, they already know I have a built in BS detector. I just pick him up, look at him, and he starts cracking up. No poker face yet, we'll learn that later. But, he also has over 800 minutes in penalties, don't feel bad. We call the timeout chair the "box". Luckily you can fit 3 kids in it.

People are talking a/b delicately explaining this to 6 year olds. How the **** do you do that?

fubar

Old
12-15-2012, 03:05 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

There are absolutely no words that can comfort anyone about losing 20 innocent children. Thinking about 5-10 year olds being hit with bullets is something I can't even begin to process in my mind. It's so unspeakable and unthinkable.

Thoughts and prayers to all the families affected, the children affected and the first responders/officers that had to respond to that horrific scene.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Topshelf88

This hasn't even computed in my brain yet. It is just so unbelievably sad, twisted, and screwed up to even seem real.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Kovi

It happened overseas also....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ck-school.html

Old
12-15-2012, 06:20 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Currently sitting in Atlanta, hoping I get on a flight to St. Maarten this morning. If there's not a seat open, I'll head to Bermuda instead.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:54 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
I'm not sure I have the answer to that...but I sure as hell no that it doesn't include more firearms.

What happens when a teacher tries to shoot the suspect but hits a child instead?

Gun laws in the United States need to be stricter...Old song, but it's message applies today:

Quote:
Limited access to firearms is a crucial step. Yes, people will still obtain guns on the black market, but not as easily as people can these days.

Plus, the stats speak for themselves - countries with strict gun control laws have fewer gun-related fatalities per capita than the United States.
When people want to inflict devastation of mass casualties, they will. That's the most horrific part, is knowing that very fact.

The last time this many children fell at the hands of someone like this was Timothy McVeigh (19 children). He didn't fire a single shot.

Sometimes being able to look past the end of your nose helps. People who break laws will not all of a sudden decide to start abiding stricter ones.

Edit:
I do apologize for continuing the politicizing of this topic, having a young daughter I'm still trying to wrap my head around the entire thing.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
When people want to inflict devastation of mass casualties, they will. That's the most horrific part, is knowing that very fact.

The last time this many children fell at the hands of someone like this was Timothy McVeigh (19 children). He didn't fire a single shot.

Sometimes being able to look past the end of your nose helps. People who break laws will not all of a sudden decide to start abiding stricter ones.

Edit:
I do apologize for continuing the politicizing of this topic, having a young daughter I'm still trying to wrap my head around the entire thing.
No need to appologize you're 100% right. Guns aren't the problem here, its family values. What happened to family dinner time? Why are churches empty on Sundays? Why are we letting our kids play shooting games and listen to rap music?

Old
12-15-2012, 09:57 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

the terwilliger family xmas tree.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
No. The ability to shoot a gun in a high pressure situation like that is not an instinct that everyone has. And putting guns INTO the schools is not something that we should be doing.

There has to be other ways.
But some people have it.

Maybe this is a good way to get veterans work when they come home? Start a program that makes it easier for veterans who are interested in teaching to get a job as one - free degree training, paid internship at schools. All the while allowing them to carry, requiring them to have a ring that unlocks the trigger.

Mental health and the science of the brain should also be incorporated into high school curriculum, so kids can understand that mental health issues are real and serious and often times it is a chemical inbalance. Teach kids how to not only deal with stress as they get older, but to respect how powerful the brain is and be mindful of others that seem off...at the very least it might help identify those that plan to commit these acts of violence

Last edited by KnightofBoston: 12-15-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
But some people have it.

Maybe this is a good way to get veterans work when they come home? Start a program that makes it easier for veterans who are interested in teaching to get a job as one - free degree training, paid internship at schools. All the while allowing them to carry, requiring them to have a ring that unlocks the trigger.
just stop

Old
12-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Mental health and the science of the brain should also be incorporated into high school curriculum, so kids can understand that mental health issues are real and serious and often times it is a chemical inbalance. Teach kids how to not only deal with stress as they get older, but to respect how powerful the brain is and be mindful of others that seem off...at the very least it might help identify those that plan to commit these acts of violence
but i agree with this

Old
12-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Kate08

Quote:
But some people have it.

I think it's rare. And as I think about my (many) friends in education, despite knowing they would do anything to protect their students, the thought of them in their classrooms with guns in their desks and having to think about pulling that trigger is just such an ass backwards scenario I'm having a hard time taking it seriously.

And, I'm sorry, but putting veterans into schools so that we know there are teachers who are comfortable shooting a gun does a huge disservice to our education system. If veterans come home and want to teach, great. We should be supporting them in any way possible, and providing training/certification/internships in any field that they would like to enter. But putting them into classrooms isn't the answer to protecting this country's kids.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Please take your gun law talk to the political section.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Not that all of this is gun control talk, but...it needs to be said for those who would take the conversation that way

Old
12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post

the terwilliger family xmas tree.
Nice!

12-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I am a teacher in an urban high school, and since you asked I am going to answer.

This is without question one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.
I wondered what your take was on this.

This must be very upsetting to all teachers.

12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
I'm not sure I have the answer to that...but I sure as hell no that it doesn't include more firearms.

What happens when a teacher tries to shoot the suspect but hits a child instead?

Gun laws in the United States need to be stricter...Old song, but it's message applies today:

You will never prevent all evil events but getting guns off the streets , out of the schools and away from kids is a good start.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Wasn't expecting that as a reaction, sorry guys

Have a good Saturday

Old
12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i've been sick to my stomach all day - i still cannot believe this happened to a bunch of children
I am sad around the holidays usually anyway (who knows why) but this... is unthinkable.

How do the parents of those kids ever get past this ?

The grief must be overwhelming. My heart goes out to them. What can you say to those folks ?...there are no words.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
holy ****

I donated 10 dollars to Matt Moulson and Jon Quick's movember page, and by doing so I was entered in a drawing to win one of their jerseys... AND I ACTUALLY WON

Unless this is a cruel joke, I am so happy right now haha

best 10 dollars i ever spent haha
Thanks for some happy news

Closed Thread