HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Should've been Huberdeau.
He's been a pretty ****** captain in Saint John, to be honest.

I would have went with Harrington myself. But I like the choice of Hopkins as well.

Old
12-15-2012, 05:41 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I haven't followed the selection process at all, but I'm a bit surprised they chose Camara over Shinkaruk and Wotherspoon over Dumba.

No issues with the rest, although I was hoping Monahan would have made the team.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:05 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I know the Oilers brass left it up to RNH to choose if he went to the World Juniors or stay with the Barons and he chose to represent Canada; but I wish they left him in OKC. I feel that the experience he'd get and the chemistry he'd build playing against men is better than potentially dominating a junior tournament. I understand that it's just a couple of weeks and he'll be back in OKC before the lockout ends (if it ever does) but still, he has nothing left to prove at the junior level.
Look at it this way, there will be more pressure in this tournament in a short 2 week period then playing a bunch of AHL games. Their has to be something said for playing in a bunch of games that mean something

Old
12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I haven't followed the selection process at all, but I'm a bit surprised they chose Camara over Shinkaruk and Wotherspoon over Dumba.

No issues with the rest, although I was hoping Monahan would have made the team.
going into camp, I think Dumba was the obvious choice but his play in camp really forced him out.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:57 AM
rebels4life

Send a message via MSN to rebels4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I know the Oilers brass left it up to RNH to choose if he went to the World Juniors or stay with the Barons and he chose to represent Canada; but I wish they left him in OKC. I feel that the experience he'd get and the chemistry he'd build playing against men is better than potentially dominating a junior tournament. I understand that it's just a couple of weeks and he'll be back in OKC before the lockout ends (if it ever does) but still, he has nothing left to prove at the junior level.
I think that this is great for the Nuge over OKC. In his career to this point he played on a few decent Rebels teams but none of them were really top teams. I think a guy learning how to win (hopeful) is a much better experience than plugging away in the AHL. Currently in Edmonton there isn't a winning mindset or culture, being last in the west for 4 straight years will have that affect. Perhaps bringing back gold will help turn the page on the rebuild to contender in the west for the Oilers

Old
12-15-2012, 09:15 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebels4life View Post
I think that this is great for the Nuge over OKC. In his career to this point he played on a few decent Rebels teams but none of them were really top teams. I think a guy learning how to win (hopeful) is a much better experience than plugging away in the AHL. Currently in Edmonton there isn't a winning mindset or culture, being last in the west for 4 straight years will have that affect. Perhaps bringing back gold will help turn the page on the rebuild to contender in the west for the Oilers
Good post. totally agree.
The development of a world class, elite player is a lot more than just playing against the absolute best competition you can find every waking moment of your life. So many things shape these players. Crazy how some people feel that missing a few weeks of the AHL grind is a pause in his development.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

RNH is the best player on the team, but he just doesnt strike me as a leader. Not really a fan of giving the C to the best player, it should be a leader.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Last in the west 4 straight years? Lol where do you get this stuff?

Old
12-15-2012, 09:59 AM
newtown33

Special Teams

To be honest I don't know much about Camara and Lipon beside they can play physical. Who's gonna play PK between them?

Here is how I see the special teams:

PP: The big line - Rielly - Hamilton
??? - Strome - ??? - Murphy - Ouellet...guessing Drouin and Rattie

PK: Hudon - Danault - Reinhart - Hamilton
Jenner - ??? - Harrington - Ouellet

Old
12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
RNH is the best player on the team, but he just doesnt strike me as a leader. Not really a fan of giving the C to the best player, it should be a leader.
They gave it to him because he's NHL material and that experience can carry the team. But still, I would have really like to see Huberdeau with the "C".

Old
12-15-2012, 10:26 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtown33 View Post
To be honest I don't know much about Camara and Lipon beside they can play physical. Who's gonna play PK between them?

Here is how I see the special teams:

PP: The big line - Rielly - Hamilton
??? - Strome - ??? - Murphy - Ouellet...guessing Drouin and Rattie

PK: Hudon - Danault - Reinhart - Hamilton
Jenner - ??? - Harrington - Ouellet
Nugent will play some PK he's a great two way guy.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:30 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Here's a Team Canada wallpaper I made:

Old
12-15-2012, 10:53 AM
PumpkinBomb

If anyone is still questioning nuge as C, dougie Hamilton said it best (read it this morning in the Calgary herald) he said its the little things that nuge does on the ice. Like if he loses the puck he goes and hunts it down, and that makes every player out there want to do that.

Hubredeau sticks up for his team but he doesn't make himself accountable like nuge. (Case in point - took so many bad penalties in last year's tourney including a 10 min misconduct in the Russia game. And when his team was losing in the memorial cup he spazzed out)

Nuge plays his ass off every shift and that inspires the rest of the team.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:03 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Not quite, sunrise is at 9:30am and sunset is around 4:50pm. From working in the arctic I can tell you that probably means several hours of twilight and a couple hours of daylight. Depending on where they go in Finland I bet its much of the same. Either way I bet Hockey Canada is well aware of this and will be giving them vitamins and what not, for a few weeks it won't be a big deal. Looks like its damn cold in Ufa right now though, not Bryzgalov weather.
I was just joking (except for the Finland part) my Arctic friend.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:05 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I think a lot of you confuse being vocal and aggressive for being a good captain. You can be a great captain by being ****ing good at hockey and leading by example (see Lidstrom). RNH is humble and is one of the hardest working players in the league. You don't become that good in a body like that without being absolutely dedicated to your sport.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Trap Jesus

I don't mind giving it to RNH. He's not the prototypical leader, but he's much more experienced than anyone else on the team having played a full year in the NHL.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Freaky Styley

I agree with RNH not being captain material per se, but he does have the most experience by far and knew he would get it once he was going to be on the team. Without him, I think Harrington would have been the best choice.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Nash

Harrington was my original choice for captain, but RNH is more than worthy of the role. He's humble, hard working, respected, dedicated, calming and focussed. He will be a great leader on a team full of them. This group has leadership aplenty so there is no reason to worry.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Canada's practice lines per Mark Masters:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Drouin - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Rattie
Camara - MacKinnon - Lipon

Old
12-15-2012, 11:55 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
@markmasters
Phillip Danault not taking part in Canada's 1st full practise; watching from the bench; all other players accounted for
Hope nothing's wrong.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post

Hudon - Jenner - Rattie
Damn, this team is stupid loaded with offensive skill.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
I think that this is great for the Nuge over OKC. In his career to this point he played on a few decent Rebels teams but none of them were really top teams. I think a guy learning how to win (hopeful) is a much better experience than plugging away in the AHL.
How is he learning how to win? He's on an absolutely stacked, heavy favorite for #1 AHL team and they're not doing that well, and now he's on an absolutely stacked, heavy favorite for #1 Canada team. Is that learning how to win? I'd say learning how to win begins with a non-stacked, non-favorite team like the one he's going back to in Edmonton.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
How is he learning how to win? He's on an absolutely stacked, heavy favorite for #1 AHL team and they're not doing that well, and now he's on an absolutely stacked, heavy favorite for #1 Canada team. Is that learning how to win? I'd say learning how to win begins with a non-stacked, non-favorite team like the one he's going back to in Edmonton.
Even that's not tough enough. Maybe the Oilers should send him to Columbus for a couple of seasons to go to the worst environment of losing hockey culture ever. Yup...that's the recipe for success!

Old
12-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Hope nothing's wrong.
Nothing wrong. Follow up tweet indicated he just had dental work done.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:23 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post

Hudon - Jenner - Rattie
Danault out to get some doctors work.

Guess this means Mackinnon starts as the 13th forward. Of course before everyone gets all panicky lets remember that the last two years there have been injuries (DSP and Jaden) and we end up rolling 4 lines. Secondly, of course Tavares started 2008 as the 13 forward and ended up being the top goal scorer

Closed Thread