HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chris Pronger moves back to STL, career probably over

Old
12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you missed the point of him saying that
Maybe so, but I was more arguing the point that actually playing games matters. Niedermayer got more votes than Pronger because he played all but 3 games while still providing elite all around play, and rightfully so.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Might be done playing, but I highly doubt he retires before 2015.

Still has $17m+ remaining on the contract and the Flyers certainly don't want him to retire, even if he doesn't play again.
So they actually got out of his caphit from this..... Lucky ********.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

So naturally he'll become a high school physics teacher after he officially retires?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Also the third sentence is absolutely false. Lidstrom barely got beat on the forecheck since he was probably the best at moving the puck out of his own zone. He got to the puck quicker than the forecheckers could and threaded needle passes to his wingers.

Which 'young, physical teams' nullified Lidstrom? He was really never the problem.

As with Pronger, he was taken to school by Patrick Kane in 2010. He's generally had a tougher time with the smaller, skilled players.

Almost every player the past few years acknowledge Lidstrom as the best d-man in the league when there was Neidermayer, Pronger, Zubov, etc. He is simply on another level.

Chris Pronger was the modern day Joe Thornton before Joe Thornton became known as the choke artist. His Blues teams were quite dominant during the regular season, some years on par with the Wings.

I'd choose Lidstrom because he is easily the better player. More cups, more Norris Trophies, a Conn Smythe, etc.
I can't speak for the whole of his career, but I can say that I've noticed in the later half that coaching (or at least Babcock) doesn't want Lidstrom chasing dumps. It became increasingly obvious in the past three or four years, even when he's the first defenseman back, his partner retrieves, takes the beating, and lets Lidstrom figure it out from there out. How much of it has to do with his age and how much of this strategy was residual is up for debate, but it seemed like the past few years, the one trick in the book on Lidstrom was that if you could force him to retrieve the dump in, he would be significantly less effective.

EDIT: I believe there was something on it within the last year or two, showing multiple instances in the playoffs where Stuart had to go back and take the hit to keep Lidstrom untouched. Caps fans brought it up while discussing what coaching should be doing with Mike Green.

Last edited by HTFN: 12-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I hate Pronger's dirty play but secretly wanted him on my team. What a talent. Hate concussions taking away HOF players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Bergeron was better than Crosby. Crosby played 22 games. Bergeron was second his team in points and won the Selke.
Crobsy had more than 50% of the amount of points that Bergeon had-in just 22 games. I'm not saying that Crosby had a better season (or that Pronger had a better season than Niedermayer)-BUT having a better season =/= the better player.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

one of my favorite moments

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
So they actually got out of his caphit from this..... Lucky ********.
Yes, the Flyers are lucky to lose their best defenseman to an injury like a concussion without any comparable replacement. Before Pronger was concussed to the point where Chris Pronger admitted he had a concussion, he was still a great defenseman.

Pronger wasn't just someone who was getting old and breaking down. If that was the case I'd understand saying the Flyers were lucky. Pronger had a brain injury that would affect any player no matter what their age is. He was hit in the eye with a stick, and then came back, played and was hit in the head again. There were articles saying he was still stumbling around the house, having headaches, and having sight problems months after the concussion. Lucky injury for the Flyers and Chris Pronger.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:30 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Not a fan of him (or his wife) but 99 MVP Pronger is probably the closest thing to Bobby Orr the defensive position has ever seen.

Why didn't she/he pick So Cal over STL

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Not a fan of him (or his wife) but 99 MVP Pronger is probably the closest thing to Bobby Orr the defensive position has ever seen.

His wife is from Stl.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:41 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Brutal glimpse into what life is like in football. Guys ending it like Pronger are the norm in football.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Ugene Malkin
BŁck Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

I loath Pronger, but he was one of the best the league had , and comparing him to Bobby Orr is just outright sickening.

Love or hate him he was a great hockey player in his own right.

Best wishes on a good life with hopefully a full recovery.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:59 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Yes, the Flyers are lucky to lose their best defenseman to an injury like a concussion without any comparable replacement. Before Pronger was concussed to the point where Chris Pronger admitted he had a concussion, he was still a great defenseman.

Pronger wasn't just someone who was getting old and breaking down. If that was the case I'd understand saying the Flyers were lucky. Pronger had a brain injury that would affect any player no matter what their age is. He was hit in the eye with a stick, and then came back, played and was hit in the head again. There were articles saying he was still stumbling around the house, having headaches, and having sight problems months after the concussion. Lucky injury for the Flyers and Chris Pronger.
yes lucky

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 24000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I hate Pronger's dirty play but secretly wanted him on my team. What a talent. Hate concussions taking away HOF players.
Pronger Physics dictates that Pronger stamping on you is like being attacked by seventeen chainsaws

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote