HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TSN's Craig Button's TOP 30 prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2012, 12:51 PM
  #26
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,971
vCash: 597
If Rielly is so good, why is his WHL team 4 games under .500?

*awaits flood of Leafs fans*

But I think it's a worthy question.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:51 PM
  #27
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't like the snarking at Rielly. The kid is fantastic. Had we picked him, you guys would all be in agreement as to where he is placed.
Not sure we would all be in agreement of where he was placed. If you look at the criteria, and you look at where he's placed, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

He's a great talent, but he missed most of last year (rankings are based on play over the past year and this season). He's also a Dman who typically take longer to develop their game. He's dynamic offensively, but his defensive play isn't anything spectacular and still needs work, which is normal. Does his potential and dynamic offensive capabilities warrant him to be #1 among all players of the 2012 draft? Yakupov is also dynamic offensively, even more so and is considered an NHL ready forward.

So... yeah, there are issues.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
  #28
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't like the snarking at Rielly. The kid is fantastic. Had we picked him, you guys would all be in agreement as to where he is placed.
Agreed. I don't know if he's better than Yakupov and Galchenyuk, but we're talking about quibbling of a difference of 1 or 2 spots on a list by Craig Button no less. Either way, he's a great prospect.

But someone mentioned the 180 Button seems to have done on Dumba, which is a good point to bring up. Button was obsessed with him last year (and rightfully so, he looked fantastic) and now he's not even worth a spot in his top 30 after after a tough start to the season? Seems fishy to me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
  #29
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If Rielly is so good, why is his WHL team 4 games under .500?

*awaits flood of Leafs fans*

But I think it's a worthy question.
Crosby put up 100 points in his first nhl season and the Pens still finished in the basement. Great players can still play on crap teams.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:53 PM
  #30
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's hard to tell, but yet everyone wants Galchenyuk ahead of Rielly. Rielly is a very good hockey player, people better get used to that now because the habs will have to face him 6 times a year for a while.
Nobody is saying he's not a good player, in fact i'm sure most people here know that he's a very good player. Galchenyuk is also a very good player, there's nothing wrong in thinking he deserves to be ranked in front of Rielly.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:55 PM
  #31
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Nobody is saying he's not a good player, in fact i'm sure most people here know that he's a very good player. Galchenyuk is also a very good player, there's nothing wrong in thinking he deserves to be ranked in front of Rielly.
It's not just people think he should be ahead, but they think that it is unfathomable that he is ahead. I really do think the argument can go either way and that it is not such an absurd idea that Rielly is "two spots" higher than Galchenyuk.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  #32
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Damn, Burke was right, best player of last year's draft was Rielly :s arcasm:

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:57 PM
  #33
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,971
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Crosby put up 100 points in his first nhl season and the Pens still finished in the basement. Great players can still play on crap teams.
It's different though, Crosby was an 18 year old rookie playing against men.

Rielly is in his 3rd WHL season. How often does a CHL team struggle this much with an elite already drafted prospect playing for them?

I just find it interesting. Even Saint John is .500 despite losing basically everyone but Huberdeau last summer.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:01 PM
  #34
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's not just people think he should be ahead, but they think that it is unfathomable that he is ahead. I really do think the argument can go either way and that it is not such an absurd idea that Rielly is "two spots" higher than Galchenyuk.
I see your point, but if you consider the fact that Galchenyuk has been producing at almost a 2ppg clip since his first four games, it's not hard to understand why people feel this way.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
  #35
Teamwork
Registered User
 
Teamwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
I think he put Rielly in front of Galchenyuk just to see everyone's reactions.

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:24 PM
  #36
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,232
vCash: 500
Yeah Reiley is one hell of a player but he's not the 4th best prospect in the world. And Button always try to mix the cards, never goes with the consensus, so his lists aren't worth much.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:35 PM
  #37
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,558
vCash: 50
Awards:
Now noted that Button is TSN's finest troll.

That list was cringe-worthy.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:54 PM
  #38
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Johnny Gaudreau....that's a hell of a steal by a team desperately trying to have some depth, so it's about time Calgary. But that's a player that despite the size will become a significant player in the NHL. And Rielly at 4? That's high but he clearly deserves it. Awesome pick by the Leafs, which makes me think that if the Leafs would have had our pick and go with Gally, I did mention in the past that people should not panic over the fact that we might have gone with a d-man....and here's the reason why.
I see what you mean, and yes, Rielly is a great prospect - but from a Habs point of view, we really needed offensive forward prospects. Look at Hamilton; there isn't anybody able to bury a puck. Leblanc is coming back from injury and not looking very good right now, Palushaj is out but wasn't looking great, either, despite leading the team in goals. If you eliminate Galy in favor of Rielly, for example, our forward depth past Colburg is pretty lame.

Gallagher hasn't done much at the AHL level - Kristto remains a question mark, etc.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
  #39
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I see what you mean, and yes, Rielly is a great prospect - but from a Habs point of view, we really needed offensive forward prospects. Look at Hamilton; there isn't anybody able to bury a puck. Leblanc is coming back from injury and not looking very good right now, Palushaj is out but wasn't looking great, either, despite leading the team in goals. If you eliminate Galy in favor of Rielly, for example, our forward depth past Colburg is pretty lame.

Gallagher hasn't done much at the AHL level - Kristto remains a question mark, etc.
Yes and even with Gally we still need an other one of his pedigree, also on offense. Defense with Subban Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis is so far back in my mind right now its not even funny. Heck, we probably need goaltending more as well because if Price could mentor an elite backup we can pawn him off again and get us an other Eller possibly, on top of having two great goaltenders for a while.

But if we land a Seth Jones, I won't complain

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:11 PM
  #40
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Last season I suggested that I was in favour of Rielly because I had seen him play prior to the injury and was enamoured with him. ***DISCLAIMER*** I am not saying I am disappointed we drafted Galchenyuk, both were equal in my mind last season and it was purely a personal preference.

Since then, I have gone to see Rielly 3 times this season and I have been pretty disappointed by him. I had tickets to both the Vancouver and Victoria Super series games. Rielly was decent in the Vancouver one and considering it was a 1-0 game decent was all he had to be. However, in the Victoria game he was putrid. He and Dumba were the 2 worst players on the ice in my opinion and during beers after the game my friends and agreed that it was a poor showing by team WHL and those two in particular. Rielly did have one amazing end to end rush in the Victoria game that would have brought the roof down, but he missed high and wide on his shot. (If you're going to deke 3 Russians at least get your shot on net)

I wanted to get another look at Rielly, so when Moose Jaw played in Victoria, I got tickets with a few friends and hoped for a good game from him. He was... enigmatic to say the least. He was the D man trailing on at least 3 odd man rushes going against Moose Jaw, and if it weren't for a pretty bad collapse in the 3rd period by the Royals he would have been quite the goat along with #3 Edmundson. He did have 2 assists in the 4-3 shootout win for Moose Jaw but looked pretty bad for a large part of the game. In the 3rd I think the shots were 16-4 (something like that) for Moose Jaw and he had a large part to do with that.

Now, relating that to our Galchenyuk, I've had the chance to watch (via stream) a few of the Sarnia games. "WOW" is how I would put it most nights. Galchenyuk is, usually, better than everyone else on the ice and he has really made me glad that Timmins and I did not share opinions on draft day.

TLDR: Personal preference was previously Rielly, now pretty clearly Galchenyuk.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:23 AM
  #41
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Last season I suggested that I was in favour of Rielly because I had seen him play prior to the injury and was enamoured with him. ***DISCLAIMER*** I am not saying I am disappointed we drafted Galchenyuk, both were equal in my mind last season and it was purely a personal preference.

Since then, I have gone to see Rielly 3 times this season and I have been pretty disappointed by him. I had tickets to both the Vancouver and Victoria Super series games. Rielly was decent in the Vancouver one and considering it was a 1-0 game decent was all he had to be. However, in the Victoria game he was putrid. He and Dumba were the 2 worst players on the ice in my opinion and during beers after the game my friends and agreed that it was a poor showing by team WHL and those two in particular. Rielly did have one amazing end to end rush in the Victoria game that would have brought the roof down, but he missed high and wide on his shot. (If you're going to deke 3 Russians at least get your shot on net)

I wanted to get another look at Rielly, so when Moose Jaw played in Victoria, I got tickets with a few friends and hoped for a good game from him. He was... enigmatic to say the least. He was the D man trailing on at least 3 odd man rushes going against Moose Jaw, and if it weren't for a pretty bad collapse in the 3rd period by the Royals he would have been quite the goat along with #3 Edmundson. He did have 2 assists in the 4-3 shootout win for Moose Jaw but looked pretty bad for a large part of the game. In the 3rd I think the shots were 16-4 (something like that) for Moose Jaw and he had a large part to do with that.

Now, relating that to our Galchenyuk, I've had the chance to watch (via stream) a few of the Sarnia games. "WOW" is how I would put it most nights. Galchenyuk is, usually, better than everyone else on the ice and he has really made me glad that Timmins and I did not share opinions on draft day.

TLDR: Personal preference was previously Rielly, now pretty clearly Galchenyuk.
That was pretty cool to read actually, Gally powa! No?Too corny? ok..

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:24 AM
  #42
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Last season I suggested that I was in favour of Rielly because I had seen him play prior to the injury and was enamoured with him. ***DISCLAIMER*** I am not saying I am disappointed we drafted Galchenyuk, both were equal in my mind last season and it was purely a personal preference.

Since then, I have gone to see Rielly 3 times this season and I have been pretty disappointed by him. I had tickets to both the Vancouver and Victoria Super series games. Rielly was decent in the Vancouver one and considering it was a 1-0 game decent was all he had to be. However, in the Victoria game he was putrid. He and Dumba were the 2 worst players on the ice in my opinion and during beers after the game my friends and agreed that it was a poor showing by team WHL and those two in particular. Rielly did have one amazing end to end rush in the Victoria game that would have brought the roof down, but he missed high and wide on his shot. (If you're going to deke 3 Russians at least get your shot on net)

I wanted to get another look at Rielly, so when Moose Jaw played in Victoria, I got tickets with a few friends and hoped for a good game from him. He was... enigmatic to say the least. He was the D man trailing on at least 3 odd man rushes going against Moose Jaw, and if it weren't for a pretty bad collapse in the 3rd period by the Royals he would have been quite the goat along with #3 Edmundson. He did have 2 assists in the 4-3 shootout win for Moose Jaw but looked pretty bad for a large part of the game. In the 3rd I think the shots were 16-4 (something like that) for Moose Jaw and he had a large part to do with that.

Now, relating that to our Galchenyuk, I've had the chance to watch (via stream) a few of the Sarnia games. "WOW" is how I would put it most nights. Galchenyuk is, usually, better than everyone else on the ice and he has really made me glad that Timmins and I did not share opinions on draft day.

TLDR: Personal preference was previously Rielly, now pretty clearly Galchenyuk.
Personally I dont really care about Reilly, I think the Leafs and Habs biggest need was up front and we got the guy both teams wanted (even if this is not Burke has been saying lol) And why Reilly when we have guys like Subban Bennett Beaulieu who can rush the puck end to end?

Reilly is the best pick Toronto could do at 5th overall, so we have to give them credit for picking the right guy but Im certainly not dump enough to believe the Leafs would have drafted Reilly over Galchenyuk

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:30 AM
  #43
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
''Montreal'' can be clearer than me about how Schultz became an Oiler as UFA at 22yrs young (when he was drafted by Anaheim), but basically when a player plays 1 year in the USHL after his draft before going to NCAA, he can opt out after his 3rd NCAA year and become UFA. Kristo could have done it this summer, but didn't and now he is either a habs or nothing (unless habs release his rights, which won't happen). Bennett could become UFA if he opts out after this year.

Anaheim lost him for nothing. Gotta hope they close this loophole next CBA.
Thank-you very much for info

Something smells a bit fishy and unfair for Anaheim...glad most of us here are not Anaheim fans or else...wouldn't want this to happen to our Habs... although I am happy for Edmonton...I am not happy for Anaheim...something didn't seem fair about how Schultz became an Oiler on July 1st. This better not happen to our Kristo or our Bennett...



p.s.: about Rielly ahead of many...time will tell but imo Button got what he wanted...all of us bickering about it...time will tell...but imo even today 28 or 29 out of 30 teams select Galchenyuk AHEAD of Rielly


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-16-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:39 AM
  #44
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thank-you very much for info

Something smells a bit fishy and unfair for Anaheim...glad most of us here are not Anaheim fans or else...wouldn't want this to happen to our Habs... although I am happy for Edmonton...I am not happy for Anaheim...something didn't seem fair about how Schultz became an Oiler on July 1st. This better not happen to our Kristo or our Bennett...
Oiler fan here. On our end we lost Riley Nash to the same loophole that they lost Schultz. Only difference was that we traded Nash before we lost him for nothing. I can't feel too bad for Anaheim, as they profited greatly on Pronger stabbing us in the back. But yeah, that loophole really should be taken care of.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:54 AM
  #45
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thank-you very much for info

Something smells a bit fishy and unfair for Anaheim...glad most of us here are not Anaheim fans or else...wouldn't want this to happen to our Habs... although I am happy for Edmonton...I am not happy for Anaheim...something didn't seem fair about how Schultz became an Oiler on July 1st. This better not happen to our Kristo or our Bennett...
Too lazy to look up the reason why, but it can't happen with Kristo and I'm 99% sure it can't happen with Bennett either. Their loopholes are closed.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:02 AM
  #46
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Personally I dont really care about Reilly, I think the Leafs and Habs biggest need was up front and we got the guy both teams wanted (even if this is not Burke has been saying lol) And why Reilly when we have guys like Subban Bennett Beaulieu who can rush the puck end to end?

Reilly is the best pick Toronto could do at 5th overall, so we have to give them credit for picking the right guy but Im certainly not dump enough to believe the Leafs would have drafted Reilly over Galchenyuk
Reilly is the best they could do and he is pretty awesome. I know for a fact Burke was lying because about them having Reilly as their #1 no matter what because just before the draft he said that he tried to trade up but no one wanted to.

Surely he couldn't have thought Reilly would go in the top 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Too lazy to look up the reason why, but it can't happen with Kristo and I'm 99% sure it can't happen with Bennett either. Their loopholes are closed.
It has to be after their junior year or if they didn't play in the NCAA the year right after they were drafted (I think). I could be wrong but I think Bennett still can.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:04 AM
  #47
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I can't feel too bad for Anaheim, as they profited greatly on Pronger stabbing us in the back. But yeah, that loophole really should be taken care of.
Whatever, didn't you guys get Jordan Eberle out of the Pronger trade?

Win for both teams. Anaheim won a cup with Pronger, but Eberle will heavily contribute to the coming Edmonton dynasty.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:58 AM
  #48
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's not just people think he should be ahead, but they think that it is unfathomable that he is ahead. I really do think the argument can go either way and that it is not such an absurd idea that Rielly is "two spots" higher than Galchenyuk.
Not anymore. Galchenyuk is playing lights out. The gap is starting to get bigger

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:05 AM
  #49
HabsPassion
Registered User
 
HabsPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Button always does this, and I am convinced he is told by upper management. His lists always have players in particular positions to stir up controversy. I don't take his lists seriously.

Think about it, how fun would it be if every scout had virtually the same list?

On a side note, Rielly is a STUD, Yes. But come on the guy has more defensive flaws then Beaulieu had when being drafted.

HabsPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:54 AM
  #50
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,971
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Whatever, didn't you guys get Jordan Eberle out of the Pronger trade?
Yeah, that was with the Ducks 1st rounder. And they also got Smid who has become a nice piece on D.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.