HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winter Blunder: Cornerback Roulette

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Running backs in first round would have be average over 1200 a year. Few guys like Peterson are worth a first round pick.

I'm not really a fan of drafting a RB in top 10 like Richardson last year. It's a reach pick, IMO.

There is no running back worth taking in first round for 2013 draft. Most of them are 2nd-4th round potential.
I think Richardson was a good pick in the top 10. He's a very dynamic player, equally as dangerous in the running or passing game. He can run with power and finesse. Definitely a guy to build around (even though building around a runner is never smart).

I am in the minority where I think Mendenhall was a value pick, and I also think he's vastly underrated by our fanbase. He's also a dynamic runningback who can have an impact in every facet of the game. I think the Mendenhall pick was a very good one, as he was slated in the top 15 on a lot of draft boards, but he slid. I think people look at guys who have had success and were late round picks, but that is looking at a draft in a vacuum, IMO. You take the best football player available. I don't care if I can find a runner in the 3rd round. If the best guy on the board in the 1st round is a RB...you take him.

People love to bring up MJD and Rice, but the thing with those two is that teams were scared away by their size, but they really shouldn't have been. Both are incredibly strong and powerful. I wanted MJD in the worst way in his draft year because he did everything at the combine well and had the production. If the mindset of today existed when those guys came out, they would have been 1st rounders.

The sad thing is, Mendenhall still has a ton of tread left on his tires, and if he can mature, some team is going to have a hell of a runner for another 4-5 years. I think he may have wore out his welcome here though, but I would undoubtedly welcome him back if he stayed.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The sad thing is, Mendenhall still has a ton of tread left on his tires, and if he can mature, some team is going to have a hell of a runner for another 4-5 years. I think he may have wore out his welcome here though, but I would undoubtedly welcome him back if he stayed.
There was some discussion on Mendy when he came back and I was among those who said he was the best of the three backfield options as far as talent, and made some sort of comment about if he ever gets his head right... not unlike your "if he can mature" comment.

I agree that he may have worn out his welcome but also agree that as a fan I would welcome him back.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Flat Stanley

Some of you may disagree with me, but I would not bring Wallace back, I think the Steelers can be successful with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and Burress at WR and Miller, Pope and Paulson at TE.

I would like Steve Breaston, Pittsburgh native, played under Todd Haley in AZ and KC, knows the offense, pretty consistent, etc. Question is, would the Chiefs trade him and if they would, for what?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Steelers rarely make trades so I don't see Breaston happening.

I think it's basically a forgone conclusion that Wallace is gone. He's proven he isn't worth the money and the Steelers will move on. I'd look for them to draft a burner in the mid-late rounds and try to mold that player into a poor man's Wallace over time.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Flat Stanley

Yeah that's true, I can see them taking a WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

About Mendenhall, I read that the Steelers can get a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2014 if someone signs him next offseason because he's a former 1st round pick.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
sniugneP

7 Catholic schools just decided to split from Big East. It's not known whether they get their own league or move into existing league. More likely, they get their own league and get other schools (Butler, VCU, St Louis, Dayton, Xavier) to join them. Big East will have lost 17 members since 2005.

Don't know what will happen to leftovers - UConn, Cincy and USF.

Sad day. Big East basketball was a big reason I got into college basketball.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
DJ Spinoza

Hopefully Detroit signing Anibal Sanchez makes them willing to part with Porcello for Hanrahan. It could be a great bargain deal, the more I read. Still three years of control left, and I think his numbers would improve with better infield defense.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Porcello is the type of pitcher who could thrive in PNC Park with a good defense behind him. I'm really wanting that to happen.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Some of you may disagree with me, but I would not bring Wallace back, I think the Steelers can be successful with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and Burress at WR and Miller, Pope and Paulson at TE.

I would like Steve Breaston, Pittsburgh native, played under Todd Haley in AZ and KC, knows the offense, pretty consistent, etc. Question is, would the Chiefs trade him and if they would, for what?
I agree with you. Though neither of our opinions may matter. He looks like he is just going through the motions a lot of times this year, which speaks volumes about his attitude toward the team so will not want to come back. And the Steelers are not going to want him back when he pulls that crap. So I think that he is writing his ticket out of here, which in the end will suit both him and the Steelers.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
bathroomSTAAL
Tylenol and beer

Yeah a Porcello for Hammer swap would be great. God knows Detroit needs some help in the back end of the bullpen, and Verlander, Shcherzer, Fister, Sanchez rotation is pretty ****ing good enough.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
JTG

I'd franchise Wallace. He holds a tremendous amount of value around the league. Not a shot I'd let him leave for nothing.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
sniugneP

Maybe. If they can't get Keenan Lewis signed after this season, they may have to franchise Lewis. Losing Lewis would be bad since Ike is aging and our back-up corners like Allen aren't good enough to start.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Porcello is the type of pitcher who could thrive in PNC Park with a good defense behind him. I'm really wanting that to happen.
If Porcello was traded for and Morton comes back healthy, two worm burners might make Barmes worth it despite his bat being a black hole.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Hard to say what Wallace's value is. I think it's taken a hit this year with his down performance. Sanders also looks like a capable starter which may ease the loss. I think the Steelers will let Wallace leave and take the compensation pick.

I agree that Lewis would be the bigger loss in the short-term. Allen doesn't look ready to start next year. Although I won't say Allen will never be a starter because I never thought Lewis would be a good starter and he's actually become one over time. I think Allen has a shot to become that as well down the road. It just takes time.

It also looks like Allen is doubtful and Ike is out this week. Steelers will probably have Curtis Brown and Josh Victorian as the #2 and #3 CB's. Scary. Tomlin said he would have to formulate a gameplan for what those guys are capable of. I don't think Troy or Clark will be up in the box much this week. Probably going to have to allocate those guys to coverage to help the CB's which could lead to Murray having a big game rushing for Dallas but hope I'm wrong.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:01 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Glad to see the Pirates Sunday uni's are the early 70's throwback jerseys. Big fan of those. Favorite would be the the 60's white vest style with the long black shirt underneath. I think they wore those in the early season of PNC, IIRC. The early 2000's.

Probably will go to a few games here and there this coming season, but I did not renew my 20 game plan. Back to back collapses have just worn me out on the Bucco's. When you follow it so closely and it definitely hurts more when that happens. Despite what they would do early to mid season, say first place all for months, to me it would be like the boy crying wolf. I wouldn't have any confidence that they could finish. But will still follow, to a degree, as I love the sport.

Last edited by td_ice: 12-15-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
JTG

I think Wallace's value around the league is higher than it is here.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Flat Stanley

Yeah, Steelers fans are getting hate because "we are so quick to turn our backs on a player" and people are saying that Mike Wallace is our best receiver and he is extremely talented. Watch a Steelers game.

What kind of pick would we get if he's signed? Does it go by draft position or money given? If it's draft position we will likely get a 5th or 6th round pick as compensation.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:27 PM
JTG

Mike Wallace is very talented...at what he does. He possesses something that no wideout in the league has right now. In terms of being a receiver, he's average. What he has working for him, and why I think we could franchise him and get a top 96 pick, is that speed in today's game kills. Some team will overpay for him, especially if they have a good possession wideout. I'm looking at a team like Carolina. They'd give their collective left nut for a wideout like Mike Wallace.

All those teams who are in the 1st round, and are thinking about picking one of the wideouts, they would be better served trading a 1st rounder for Mike Wallace as he is less risky, and is just flat out better than anything available.

I'd also like to see Colbert dabble into free agency this year more than he has before. I know that's wishful thinking, but some good players are becoming free agents. Quickly fix this team, and get it back on track.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:09 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Watching a bit of NFLN, the Super Bowl Classics. On right now is Super Bowl 30. Pittsburgh vs. Dallas. Unfortunately the good guys did not win this game. I forgot how big of a force Bam Morris was, when he wanted to be. He was a horse. Neil O'Donnell......ugh.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:25 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

For those Steelers fans out there, on NFLN, Wed. night, there is a an hour special on the Immaculate Reception. 8pm, the show is called, "A Football Life".

Old
12-15-2012, 03:31 PM
ScOrpik

So the Quad A PIAA football championship is tonight. Are these types of games streamed online anywhere?

Old
12-15-2012, 03:34 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOrpik View Post
So the Quad A PIAA football championship is tonight. Are these types of games streamed online anywhere?
Not sure.

But to anyone that follows PA high school football. (I don't)

Why are the championship games always on the Eastern side of the state?? At Hersey??

Old
12-16-2012, 10:17 AM
End of Line
Human After All

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
wheelz87
Orpik. Team USA lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOrpik View Post
Not sure if you live in the area or not but it was on PCN. If you get that channel I believe they will be replaying all the games within a couple days.

Way to go NA!!

Old
12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

these games on right now are both so boring but at least the ravens suck.

Closed Thread