HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Unknown. I would guess we no longer have them.
That would certainly be a tough pill to swallow. I would hope that at this point, the NHL would step in and make something happen.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:54 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
That would certainly be a tough pill to swallow. I would hope that at this point, the NHL would step in and make something happen.
Also would it still be 7 rounds or whatever it goes up to or would it be a super draft and have 14 rounds because of the amount of players/talent entering? If it's a super draft, combine teams 2013 picks with 2014 picks. Not sure what the draft order would be like though.

Realistically, they should have 2 different drafts. Week 1(hosted by the city that was suppose to host the 2013 draft) would be the carry over of the class of 2013. Week 2(hosted by the 2014 city) would be the 2014 draft.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Unknown. I would guess we no longer have them.
I would think that they would figure out a way to combine the drafts with no one losing draft picks. If not, I will actually start believing the Jackets are cursed.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Realistically, they should have 2 different drafts. Week 1(hosted by the city that was suppose to host the 2013 draft) would be the carry over of the class of 2013. Week 2(hosted by the 2014 city) would be the 2014 draft.
I would think that this would be the only fair way to handle the logistics. The difficult part comes in figuring out a draft order (see: 2005, conspiracy theories, Sidney Crosby) that is fair to everyone.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
candyman82

Quote:
I would think that this would be the only fair way to handle the logistics. The difficult part comes in figuring out a draft order (see: 2005, conspiracy theories, Sidney Crosby) that is fair to everyone.
I say Jackets get 1, 9, and 15. Give the Leafs 2, the Flames 3, the Ducks 4, and the Islanders 5.

If it's rigged, that's the order that I want to see.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I say Jackets get 1, 9, and 15. Give the Leafs 2, the Flames 3, the Ducks 4, and the Islanders 5.

If it's rigged, that's the order that I want to see.
I can see Columbus getting 2 while Phoenix gets 1. Crosby saved Pittsburgh and Mackinnon saves Phoenix. Now not getting the first pick would suck so the NHL will make it up to us by giving us number 4 and a mid round pick. 2,4,15 isn't to bad.

Old
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM
smokes lets go

Watching Drouin/Mackinnon tear it up, if the hockey gods rewarded the CBJ with them inn a lockout draft and allow them to get both somehow, it would make the team a future powerhouse. An insane tandem like this would do wonders.

Last edited by smokes lets go: 12-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 09:32 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I agree with you

although McKinnon, Barkov and Monahan seems fair to me. We need top 6 talent, and we have patiently waited our turn.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:31 AM
EspenK

All this talk about not having a '13 draft got me wondering- if there is no draft what would stop the rich guys from signing the top guys without a draft? "Gentleman's" agreement? NHL bylaws? Anything?

Old
12-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
All this talk about not having a '13 draft got me wondering- if there is no draft what would stop the rich guys from signing the top guys without a draft? "Gentleman's" agreement? NHL bylaws? Anything?
Nothing. This is where the threat of disclaimer of interest comes in handy for the NHLPA ... the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. This should help prompt most of the "lower-end" market owners to get their rears in gear and agree to some of the demands the PA is making. It's a way to hold the league hostage - without a player's union, everything goes out the window. No more draft, no more guaranteed contracts, nothing. A team like the Rangers could spend infinite amounts of money with no worry of backlash - they could just send a player packing if they aren't performing. Prospects could sign for any amount to play anywhere they wanted.

This would be the worst thing for the game. We would be far better off losing a year, two years, ten years, whatever; and coming up with a new CBA - than allowing the players' union to disband. This sort of legal battle could drag on for numerous years, and the league would be forced to live under this shadow for however long it takes.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

What??

Quote:
Nothing. This is where the threat of disclaimer of interest comes in handy for the NHLPA ... the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. This should help prompt most of the "lower-end" market owners to get their rears in gear and agree to some of the demands the PA is making. It's a way to hold the league hostage - without a player's union, everything goes out the window. No more draft, no more guaranteed contracts, nothing. A team like the Rangers could spend infinite amounts of money with no worry of backlash - they could just send a player packing if they aren't performing. Prospects could sign for any amount to play anywhere they wanted.

This would be the worst thing for the game. We would be far better off losing a year, two years, ten years, whatever; and coming up with a new CBA - than allowing the players' union to disband. This sort of legal battle could drag on for numerous years, and the league would be forced to live under this shadow for however long it takes.
What player in their right mind would allow this to go on? They would be better off forming a league amongst themselves and renting the rinks to play in. Players careers are finite, you can't get those years back. On the other hand they get paid such an exhorbitant amount of money to play a game..(Pro athletes in general)

Old
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
stevo61

What do people know about Nikita Zadorov? i've never actually seen him play but i know he's massive and from what i read is a shut down defensemen that is very physical and has a bit of offensive potential. From what i hear if i were to make a shot in the dark comparison he sounds like a better and more well rounded version of Alexei Emelin from Montreal. I'm kinda curious as to how much is him dominating and how much is the fact he's on a stacked team and may not face the best players on opposing teams. He sounds really intriguing and worth a early to mid round pick if available and seems like the type of defensemen we need to round out a very good blue line

Old
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
bigbadbruins7

was looking at some of the mock drafts forum and it got me thinking. you guys have three picks in the upcoming first round. If there is no season and the NHL does the lottery ball system again what would you be satisfied with?

Like top 5, top 10, top 20? im really hoping you guys get three top 5 picks but what would you realistically be satisfied with?

Old
12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
was looking at some of the mock drafts forum and it got me thinking. you guys have three picks in the upcoming first round. If there is no season and the NHL does the lottery ball system again what would you be satisfied with?

Like top 5, top 10, top 20? im really hoping you guys get three top 5 picks but what would you realistically be satisfied with?
One top 3. 2 top 20's

Old
12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I think as long as we can trade up for Nathan MacKinnon or to take him outright, I'd be happy.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I think as long as we can trade up for Nathan MacKinnon or to take him outright, I'd be happy.
So much talent in the draft, I don't like the idea of dealing away assets for one piece ... especially in knowing the price we would have to pay to move up and select said player. I say, stockpile the picks as we have, take guys that fit into our long-term solution, and laugh all the way to success.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
And buddy Drouin along with him.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:15 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Been watching a replay of the Finland-USA World Junior game from a couple days back. This Jones kid... He has so much poise, it's unbelievable. I don't know if this would be an accurate comparison, (looking at you, SL ) but he looks like a better version of JJ.

Old
12-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Been watching a replay of the Finland-USA World Junior game from a couple days back. This Jones kid... He has so much poise, it's unbelievable. I don't know if this would be an accurate comparison, (looking at you, SL ) but he looks like a better version of JJ.
Reminds me a lot of Erik Johnson when he was drafted. If he had developed properly (still has time to get better), he could have been a Shea Weber type of player - as can Seth Jones. Don't think just about the big shot, as that isn't all of his game; think of the all-around dominance that Shea Weber can bring. Seth Jones could be that type of player, but the learning curve for a guy like that is a long, difficult one ... as has been proven with Erik Johnson.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Interesting article on how the NHL Entry draft is in trouble this year without a CBA.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...dmontonjournal

Old
12-26-2012, 08:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Reminds me a lot of Erik Johnson when he was drafted. If he had developed properly (still has time to get better), he could have been a Shea Weber type of player - as can Seth Jones. Don't think just about the big shot, as that isn't all of his game; think of the all-around dominance that Shea Weber can bring. Seth Jones could be that type of player, but the learning curve for a guy like that is a long, difficult one ... as has been proven with Erik Johnson.
That injury set EJ back.. I don't think he's been as explosive since.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That injury set EJ back.. I don't think he's been as explosive since.
Agreed.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
EspenK

OK there is a new offer on the table. One disturbing proposal:

All non-play-off teams would have a chance at #1 pick if they win the lottery. While their chances would be slim, I don't like the idea of a 17th place team having a shot. (Unless of course the Rangers or Kings or both tank).

Old
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
OK there is a new offer on the table. One disturbing proposal:

All non-play-off teams would have a chance at #1 pick if they win the lottery. While their chances would be slim, I don't like the idea of a 17th place team having a shot. (Unless of course the Rangers or Kings or both tank).
I'm not against the idea, it just depends on how they set it up.

I definitely don't want to see it become as random as the NBA Lottery but a little bit more variability wouldn't hurt.

12-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I'm not against the idea, it just depends on how they set it up.

I definitely don't want to see it become as random as the NBA Lottery but a little bit more variability wouldn't hurt.
Agreed.

Closed Thread