Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Old
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I had read that he's the most talented of the three, but that's not saying much as neither of the older two have been that incredible.
Well they are solid Q players.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Scarecrow Boat

So I was talking to someone today about Nathan Noel and they said, "Noel isn't producing anything like MacKinnon was at Shattuck" and I wanted to slap this human. It's a perfect example as to why you don't just look at numbers and think that's all it takes to know who's good and who isn't.

The numbers he's talking about:
Nathan Noel
2012-13 -30GP 8G 18A 26PTS 31PIMS
2011-12 -56GP 45G 59A 104PTS 44PIMS

Nathan MacKinnon
2010-11 - 40GP 45G 48A 93PTS 72PIMS
2009-10 - 58GP 54G 47A 101PTS 56PIMS

As you can see, their first years at Shattuck are very similar with a slight edge going to Noel. Both of those seasons were with the Shattuck St. Mary's Bantam Tier I team. The second season MacKinnon killed it and Noel is only close to point-per-game pace. MASSIVE DIFFERENCE THOUGH! MacKinnon had 93 points on the U16 team, Noel is playing on the prep team. The U16 team was filled with '94 and '95 born players when MacKinnon was there. Noel is on the prep team as the only '97 born with a bunch of '94, '95, and '96 born players.

I cant remember the last underager to play for Shattucks prep team and it seems like a lot of people don't find it impressive. A lot of fans will be surprised come draft time if they can't wrap their heads around it.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
So I was talking to someone today about Nathan Noel and they said, "Noel isn't producing anything like MacKinnon was at Shattuck" and I wanted to slap this human. It's a perfect example as to why you don't just look at numbers and think that's all it takes to know who's good and who isn't.

Nathan Noel

Nathan MacKinnon

As you can see, their first years at Shattuck are very similar with a slight edge going to Noel. Both of those seasons were with the Shattuck St. Mary's Bantam Tier I team. The second season MacKinnon killed it and Noel is only close to point-per-game pace. MASSIVE DIFFERENCE THOUGH! MacKinnon had 93 points on the U16 team, Noel is playing on the prep team. The U16 team was filled with '94 and '95 born players when MacKinnon was there. Noel is on the prep team as the only '97 born with a bunch of '94, '95, and '96 born players.

I cant remember the last underager to play for Shattucks prep team and it seems like a lot of people don't find it impressive. A lot of fans will be surprised come draft time if they can't wrap their heads around it.
I think the last ones to do it were Angelo Esposito and Emerson Etem.
Noel is keeping pace with Esposito, who would have gone first overall in his Q draft had it not been for his apparent NCAA aspirations, and has just about met Etem's season totals in half as many games.

Both of course turned out to be great junior players and first round picks in the NHL.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
thanks for the replies btw, anyone can clarify whether Jesse Hamer, for Dartmouth, is 97 or 98 born? I've seen the 2.
he is 1997 born that is a typo

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post

Nathan Noel

Nathan MacKinnon

Like you pointed out, he's playing up an age group... Its proof of how good he is.

Has anyone seen Luc Deschens recently ? How is he coming along ?

Old
12-21-2012, 09:47 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Like you pointed out, he's playing up an age group... Its proof of how good he is.

He is coming to Moncton tomorrow, I'm going to take in the game, I'll give a report. Hearing that the Canadiens are nicked up a bit but they have been winning. Tompkins played last weekend and Paul and Billings shouldn't be too far off returning.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:57 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
He is coming to Moncton tomorrow, I'm going to take in the game, I'll give a report. Hearing that the Canadiens are nicked up a bit but they have been winning. Tompkins played last weekend and Paul and Billings shouldn't be too far off returning.
Okay thanks a ton.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:

He'll definitely be in my top 5 to watch at the U17's

I hear a bunch of people down playing his skill but I think they're just reacting to his stats and not actually watching him play so I can't wait to see how he does.

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:38 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Suds View Post
He'll definitely be in my top 5 to watch at the U17's

I hear a bunch of people down playing his skill but I think they're just reacting to his stats and not actually watching him play so I can't wait to see how he does.
I have a feeling it may be a repeat of Duncan MacIntyre.
Nothing special offensively and non-committal so far (Deschênes has stated he's also looking at the prep route), but the team that he ends up on will get a great player.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:22 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Nothing special offensively and non-committal so far (Deschênes has stated he's also looking at the prep route), but the team that he ends up on will get a great player.
I have watched Deschene play several times this year, as I have stated before this will be the year for him to prove him self, he has to have a good U-17 to bounce back from his U-16 performance last year as it was not very a good showing so far this year many are catching up to him.

JMO

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:16 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
I could see him in Moncton or Saint John.. I don't think he'll end up on a small market team..

Old
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
UncMike

Anyone have a top 2 or 3 to watch from each of the teams scheduled to play in the IceJam in Halifax in a couple weeks?

UncMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
hound27

Ice Jam players to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncMike View Post
Anyone have a top 2 or 3 to watch from each of the teams scheduled to play in the IceJam in Halifax in a couple weeks?
Here is my list of who to watch for. My list is incomplete as I have not seen some of the NFLD, or NB/PEI teams play. I will also restrict my list to 96- and 97-born players.

St John Vitos - Leblanc (97) is on the top line and should be considered a top draft prospect.

Moncton - other than Bradley (95) and Richard (96), no forward really impressed. Myers (97) is steady on defence.

Cape Breton West - Tower (97) is a top draft prospect and plays on the top line with Kennedy (96). Mann-Dixon (97) is a decent goalie in a weak pool of 97 goalies.

Cape Breton Tradesmen - Fitzgerald (96) is a Dman who is solid in his own end and contributes offensively

Cole Harbour - Dumaresque (97) is a heady player and will get better when he gets stronger physically. Bruce (96) is a good finisher.

Dartmouth - Shewfelt (96) is an excellent skater and can finish, top forward among the HRM teams. Hamer (97) is worth watching but can disappear when the going gets tough.

Halifax - Marsh (96) is a strong playmaker and can finish, Parsons (97) can finish but must learn to distribute the puck better, Welsh (97) is a good offensive Dman but can struggle in his own end, good lateral mobility, but not fast enough N-S.

Valley - Tidman (97) and Parker (97) are both strong-skating forwards on a talented team that are contributing at both ends of the ice. Blanchard (96) is the top forward in the league but has been called up to Bathurst.

South Shore - Messenger (97) skates well and can finish but has no one to work with.

hound27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Call me Suds

Nicolas Dawe on Halifax is worth a look in net. Tough start to the season but he'll still be a Q pick

Old
12-31-2012, 10:05 AM
localfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound27 View Post
Here is my list of who to watch for. My list is incomplete as I have not seen some of the NFLD, or NB/PEI teams play. I will also restrict my list to 96- and 97-born players.

St John Vitos - Leblanc (97) is on the top line and should be considered a top draft prospect.

Moncton - other than Bradley (95) and Richard (96), no forward really impressed. Myers (97) is steady on defence.

Cape Breton West - Tower (97) is a top draft prospect and plays on the top line with Kennedy (96). Mann-Dixon (97) is a decent goalie in a weak pool of 97 goalies.

Cape Breton Tradesmen - Fitzgerald (96) is a Dman who is solid in his own end and contributes offensively

Cole Harbour - Dumaresque (97) is a heady player and will get better when he gets stronger physically. Bruce (96) is a good finisher.

Dartmouth - Shewfelt (96) is an excellent skater and can finish, top forward among the HRM teams. Hamer (97) is worth watching but can disappear when the going gets tough.

Halifax - Marsh (96) is a strong playmaker and can finish, Parsons (97) can finish but must learn to distribute the puck better, Welsh (97) is a good offensive Dman but can struggle in his own end, good lateral mobility, but not fast enough N-S.

Valley - Tidman (97) and Parker (97) are both strong-skating forwards on a talented team that are contributing at both ends of the ice. Blanchard (96) is the top forward in the league but has been called up to Bathurst.

South Shore - Messenger (97) skates well and can finish but has no one to work with.
I would add Yotchoff (96) for Halifax too. He has crazy hands that can dangle and he's fast. Too bad he's so slight though. That would hurt his chances for being drafted for sure.

What about MacVicor for Dartmouth (96??)...He's a solid d-man.

localfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound27 View Post

Cannot forget about (97) Alexandre Jacob of the Moncton Flyers. Jacob has put up 20 points in 11 games since coming back from injury. Yes I know he's listed a 5'5 and 130lbs, and honestly, I had my doubts he'd experience success like this, based on his size ALONE. He just keeps doing what he does, regardless.

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
Cannot forget about (97) Alexandre Jacob of the Moncton Flyers. Jacob has put up 20 points in 11 games since coming back from injury. Yes I know he's listed a 5'5 and 130lbs, and honestly, I had my doubts he'd experience success like this, based on his size ALONE. He just keeps doing what he does, regardless.
Jacob looks really good. I think he had 8 assists in one game!

Deschense is definately the best 97 Dman (and possibly the best of the 96's) in the League right now, hands down.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:38 PM
IslandScouter

From PEI's MM teams I would assume Larter and Steele both going about round 6, and maybe Arsenault or Hackett may go as well

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Will Noel pull and NCAA card ? Or only report to SJ or something ?

Old
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Will Noel pull and NCAA card ? Or only report to SJ or something ?
Maybe , but Saint John are in good position to move up and take him since acquiring their 1st 2013 back from BB.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
IslandScouter

He is a player Saint John will want to move up and get, he is a special player that they will be building there team around, don't want to take a chance on him being picked up

IslandScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
wilson1379

Anyone have an opinion on some of the guys coming out of Pictou County?

Vokey, Cormier, Livingstone? Not sure about any of them but Vokey is having a good season but he's a 96, but Cormier is playing well and he's a '97.

wilson1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Anyone know if Adam Holwell is still well regarded for the draft? I know he's been playing in Ontario for the past couple of years, is he now supposed to be drafted in the OHL draft instead?

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Anyone know if Adam Holwell is still well regarded for the draft? I know he's been playing in Ontario for the past couple of years, is he now supposed to be drafted in the OHL draft instead?
He was just named to the GTHL prospects game so he must be on somebodies radar somewhere

Old
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Suds View Post
He was just named to the GTHL prospects game so he must be on somebodies radar somewhere
Alright, thanks for the update. I remember seeing him in Scoutman's first round some time ago and I haven't heard about him since.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote