Notices

LA Angels of Anaheim Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

vCash: 500
1. You are seriously telling me that if Crosby had played the full year that Perry would have won the MVP?

2. Who said "they" aren't payed enough?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Fuji to the Cubbies......

Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Hockey Duckie

Recap woes of last season:
* Missed playoffs: 4 game out of wild card; 5 games out of division title.
* Trout missed out on the first 20 games of the season.
* Bullpen gave up 22 blown saves. (Gave up 25 blown saves two years ago.)
* Greinke pitched 13 games (8% of the total games played) at the end of the season, and not the whole season. Which means we had a Weaver-Wilson-Haren-Santana-Richards/Williams combo for most of the season.

Recap of last season's improvements:
* Frieri was acquired in midseason trade. Had a 0.00 ERA until All-Star break to help shore up the bullpen.
* Trout was finally brought up after the MLB team going 6-14.
* Maronde (LHP) came out of nowhere to show promise from the farm team.
* Jepsen looked healthy again which lead to him pitching well.

This offseason's needs: Bullpen and Starting pitching, in that order, IMO.

Bullpen help:
* RHP Madson (recovering from TJS): for $3.5 mil and $3.5 extra in incentives.
* LHP Burnett: $8 mil for two years.

Starting Pitcher:
* RHP Hanson: $4.5 mil (and I believe owns his rights until 2017)
* RHP Blanton: $15 mil for two years.

Incoming $ for this year's transaction: The four mentioned above salary.$19.5 to $23 mil (if Madson achieves incentives) The price for buying out/trading Haren and Santana: $4.5 mil. Total: $24 to $27.5.

Outgoing $ for this year's transactions: $29 million by getting rid of starting pitchers Haren and Santana.

Difference in transaction: $1.5 to $5 PROFIT!

Translation of moves, in my opinion, of course:

While the two starters signed this offseason don't scream awesome quality, they provide similar quality to the two starters we had last season, Haren and Santana, at a much significant price. Hence, we didn't improve our starting pitching situation. But with the money saved, the Angels were able to go out and grab significant relief pitchers with very good track records. This addresses the 22 blown saves dilemma, which means it helps the Angels improve dramatically.

The Angels didn't acquire Greinke until the last two months, but his affect on the pitching game amounts to 8% of the games played. Without Greinke, this team has improved to still be a playoff team. It is without a big splash, but I understand the co-ordinated moves being made. The team is still not done this offseason either as they are still looking at adding another starting pitcher, Greinke included, as well as another reliever or two.

Sosh has been noted to say he wants a 7 man bullpen. So far we have:
1. Frieri-9th inning
2. Downs-8th inning
3. Madson
4. Burnett
5. Jepsen
6. Williams?
7. _______?

Hopefully, the Angels do acquire another reliever or two or maybe promote LHP Brad Mills from AAA so that they can send LHP Maronde back down to the farm team. That move would designate Maronde to become a starting pitcher as opposed to being focused on being a closer because the Angels are very thin at pitching prospects. The Angels also have a live arm that they drafted in the 3rd round last year that may be able help as a reliever late into this coming season as he was a reliever at college and make his debut a la K-Rod many years ago.

Anyhow, this off-season has been quite slow and dry with news from an Angels perspective. But if you let the small names transactions sink it, the Angels have made some significant moves and some lateral moves, but all done with fiscal responsibility. By the way, Haren has an agreement with the Washington Nationals to play for one year worth $13 million. Hanson's contract is $4.5 mil for posting very similar numbers to Haren.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Welcome to Anaheim Josh Hamilton.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
DarthYenik

Whatever. Before Dipoto we wanted to be that team that got big names in the off-season. Now here we are.

I'm not going to make the same mistake as last year, and ignore the hole in the starting rotation, after hearing about a big name signing.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

With the amount of guys they have in the outfield, I wouldnt be suprised if a big trade is made.

Trumbo for a big name pitcher or something like that.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Borjous is more likely to go.

The Hamilton signing is two years too long, but his bat is going to be great provided he's focused. Torri would have been great for Josh, but now that onus falls on Albert, Vernon, and some of the vet pitchers.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Would've rather paid Greinke. Angels were 1 in BA and 4th in Runs scored last year, and we all know where that got us.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Would've rather paid Greinke. Angels were 1 in BA and 4th in Runs scored last year, and we all know where that got us.
I would have rather signed Greinke, but at least Hamilton is close to being worth his price.

And I agree, they need to lose a OF. I'd rather give Trumbo up, over Bourjos. Trumbo can be a great hitter, but he has no place in the OF with Hamilton and Trout who are better hitters and OFs. Plus he's probably worth more in the eyes of the rest of baseball.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
I would have rather signed Greinke, but at least Hamilton is close to being worth his price.

And I agree, they need to lose a OF. I'd rather give Trumbo up, over Bourjos. Trumbo can be a great hitter, but he has no place in the OF with Hamilton and Trout who are better hitters and OFs. Plus he's probably worth more in the eyes of the rest of baseball.
And will cost more $$ in the future. Trumbo can get the Angels a big name pitcher that can eat up innings.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
ForzaFCBAnaheim

I think it's a great signing. It's maybe a bit long, and it's a ton of money, but it's not my money and Hamilton definitely upgrades their roster. Sure they need pitching, but this allows them to maybe move a quality OF for a pitcher without hurting their roster (since Hamilton basically replaces/upgrades the guy they'd trade for a pitcher).

Old
12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaFCBAnaheim View Post
I think it's a great signing. It's maybe a bit long, and it's a ton of money, but it's not my money and Hamilton definitely upgrades their roster. Sure they need pitching, but this allows them to maybe move a quality OF for a pitcher without hurting their roster (since Hamilton basically replaces/upgrades the guy they'd trade for a pitcher).
The roster definitely has potential to be better because of this signing as opposed to signing Greinke. I stress the word potential though, because everyone in baseball now knows the Angels will have to make a deal in order to shore up the rotation.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:01 PM
gradeAducksfan

Wow... Look at that line-up!!!!

That has the makings of a lot of runs being scored. Josh makes the Angels WAY better!!! Yes the angels need a starting pitcher and I think a trade will be made, but I would not want to pitch against the angels with that starting line-up!

Great move!!!!

Old
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Angels games are going to be like beer league slow pitch softball games! 23-22 victories. Its going to be exciting.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Greinke will pitch once every five games, which is about 32% of the total games played in a 162 game season. Hamilton will be playing more often than that, basically an everyday player. Hamilton carries more worth in the respect he can affect every game, whereas Greinke needs a certain amount of days off between appearances.

Also note, Hamilton bats left handed. This will make Kendrys Morales expendable in the future, near or far. The addition of adding another lefty to the line up makes the Angels that much more dangerous offensively.

Last year, the Angels carried the same amount of outfielders. We switched out Hunter for Hamilton, which is a huge improvement statwise, though the jury is still out for club house chemistry. Since Fleet Pete and Trumbo are on rookie contracts and Morales is on the cheap, there's no real need to trade anyone of these assets. Consider that Morales has only this season with us signed, we can let Morales go at the end of this coming season. That would leave the DH spot open for Trumbo to have and then slide Fleet Pete back onto the field. (I feel terrible for Fleet Pete, though, if he is forced to sit out again for another season.) But yes, we can make a trade for a starting pitcher if need be. There better be a Vernon Wells attached to any deal, though!

I hear all this clamoring about needed another starting pitcher or the results are going to be similar to this past season. This is one issue I'm not subscribing to because for the past two seasons our biggest flaws have not been addressed: the bullpen. Two years ago we blew 25 saves. We added CJ Wilson to our starting line up as well as Pujols with mediocre bullpen signing of Hawkins (who?) and Isringhausen (he's still pitching?) during the offseason. It was a huge neglect and maybe our GM didn't believe our bullpen could be that bad. It was. Even after acquring Frieri, the bullpen still gave up 22 blown saves, most in the MLB.

So what's the difference between the two offseasons of much promise? The GM actually addressed the bullpen with better talent in relieve pitchers of LHP Sean Burnett and RHP Madson, with the idea of adding yet another reliever. Our starting pitching situation has been average with one ace for the past two seasons, but if the Angels hadn't blown over half of their save opportunities like our government is akin to refusal to reduce its spending, then they both would have seen much better outcomes and the Angels with two pennants.

We can improve all the hitting in the world, but if we don't address how we close games, then it is pointless. That's the lesson we learned again last year. (Two seasons ago we lost Bam Bam early in the season and used that injury as an excuse that we didn't make the playoffs.)

But do look at it this way, Texas just got a lot weaker offensively. We don't need to win the division, but get into the playoffs via pennant or wild card. Not only that, but we don't need to trade anyone away either because there are still some viable arms in free agency that are still available. Seeing we lack a farm team, then let's keep as much top talent as possible and turn those talent into trades for very good to great prospects. A Trumbo or Morales would be worth more at trade deadline than they are during this offseason. So play chess and wait.

I admit, i'm very surprised at this move as everyone else is. This is like purchasing a 50 inch flat panel two weeks ago and then come to find out you won a 40 inch flat panel at a company Christmas party just two days ago. Sure you own a 32 inch flat panel that you purchased many years ago as your first flat panel tv, but now it's in excess. You could get rid of it, but do you really want get rid of it? I'm still shocked as I've grown accustomed to bashing Hamilton for years.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Finnpin

What kind of trade value Bourjos have?

I like this video:

Old
12-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Old
12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Fighter
Legend

I must say i didn't see this coming at all, WHOA!

It's true are main need was a picther rather than another big bat but I would rather pay big money for someone who plays 140 games rather than 30 at best.

I'd rather keep Trumbo to be honest, i'd give him up only for a prime pitcher. I can live without Bourjos if anything...

How long are we stuck with the chump of Wells BTW?

Old
12-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

The Angels will win games 22-17.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Arte does it again.
our pitching may be mediocre but atleast we'll score alot of runs

Old
12-14-2012, 10:55 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
and one of the worst left handed hitting teams in the game

Old
12-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
The Angels will win games 22-17.
This and your MS Paint avatar is awesome!

Old
12-15-2012, 06:58 PM
DarthYenik

Just got back from the team store. Got a Trout shirt, and my father and sister got Hamilton shirts. Saw these...

Old
12-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Just got back from the team store. Got a Trout shirt, and my father and sister got Hamilton shirts. Saw these...
nice. very nice!

Old
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
ForzaFCBAnaheim

Apparently the Angels have moved Morales for Vargas. Seems like the kind of deal that was to be expected. At least they keep the younger guys.

Closed Thread