Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

New to Football (questions, etc)

Old
12-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
Free agency- yes, but you don't see big name players hit it very often because they are usually sold with a year left on their contracts. There's also no real free agent frenzy date like july 1 in the NHL.

Trades, not really, you'll see the odd player swap, but the last I can remember was Ashley Cole from Arsenal to Chelsea for William Gallas and cash a few years back. You see, the way contracts work is completely different. Players don't take their contracts with them from one team to the next. Transfer fees are payed for the old club to scrap their contract with a player, who then negotiates a new one.

As for new players, many of them come from the clubs own junior acadamies where they are recruited at a fairly young age. Barcelona is a team known for their great acadamy (Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, etc), Arsenal too (wilshere, Walcott was signed as a 16 year old I believe which is already fairly old). Bundesliga teams have pumped out a lot of self-made talent in the last few years (Götze, Müller, Draxler...).

"Feeder leagues" are the countries' lower divisions, smaller but still good european leagues like the dutch or portugese. A lot of youngsters come over from south america as like 20-22 year olds... Recent years have seen the asian market become somewhat more populars with notables like Kagawa.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:32 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Just to add of, you can sign a "pre contract" in the January transfer window. Basically if you are set to become a UFA, players can get sold and negotiate their contract with the team buying them, or they could sign a pre contract with that team, play out the rest of the season with his first club, and when the season is done, he leaves for free and joins the club he signed a pre contract with.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Effectively, most clubs won't want to lose a player for nothing. Even if the player isn't amazing, most will at least try to find a buyer for them before they move on. The only players whose contracts wind down are ones in their later part of the career, or those who want to move on when their deal is done.

Trades do not typically happen, though there is a bit of make weight (adding a player into a deal to balance a fee). There's also a bit of a "we'll loan you someone, or give you a friendly for your young talent".

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Another kit question. Why are vertical stripes the main thing in the Champions League?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:40 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I'm thinking of getting my cousin, who is a big soccer fan, a soccer kit (if I am not using the right term, I mean jersey). How much do they cost?

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:57 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I'm thinking of getting my cousin, who is a big soccer fan, a soccer kit (if I am not using the right term, I mean jersey). How much do they cost?
That's not an easy question to answer it'll vary in different shops, depends where you live etc etc but I would say around £40-£50 is standard price (don't know how much that is in $)

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
It is around 70-80 dollars and goes up if you want to add numbers, letters, logos, etc. I bought the Arsenal's away kit and was around 95-100 not including tax.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
That's not an easy question to answer it'll vary in different shops, depends where you live etc etc but I would say around £40-£50 is standard price (don't know how much that is in $)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It is around 70-80 dollars and goes up if you want to add numbers, letters, logos, etc. I bought the Arsenal's away kit and was around 95-100 not including tax.
Thanks

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:26 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

I've always wondered what league do teams in the EPL that get relegated go and where do the new teams come from?

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
I've always wondered what league do teams in the EPL that get relegated go and where do the new teams come from?
npower1
npower2

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
npower1
npower2
The league below the EPL is the Championship, follwed by npower League 1 & npower League 2.

For relegation purposes, the 3 teams at the bottom of the EPL are relegated from the EPL to the Championship.

For promotion purposes, the top 2 teams from the Championship are automatically promoted to the EPL. Teams 3-6 battle in a mini playoff for the third promotion spot.

01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
LOFIN

Here's a pretty good picture describing the system: (behind the link)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tEJi9NjWm8...ue_pyramid.gif

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Here's a pretty good picture describing the system: (behind the link)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tEJi9NjWm8...ue_pyramid.gif
Aweomse! Thanks for the help guys! I read through the thread and has helped make soccer not seem too difficult to folllow as I imagined. The time difference sucks but I might start giving it a try

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Aweomse! Thanks for the help guys! I read through the thread and has helped make soccer not seem too difficult to folllow as I imagined. The time difference sucks but I might start giving it a try
Just keep posting the questions when they pop up, I'm sure many people here are happy to help new people to get on with "the worlds game".

Old
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Yeah, no problem. It's not too hard, the time zone is a pain, but you can find matches on and DVR is your friend.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Nose of Sutter

Ok so I've been getting into football more lately, started with the Champions League last year and I started really liking Bayern Munich that Chelsea game was heartbreaking but I also like Man City although I just started watching them this year and also being in Southern California I have a soft spot for the Galaxy, I am trying to learn the game more and all the players in EPL, Bundasliga, and MLS but I guess my question is am I considered a bandwagoner? Well I know I bandwagoned to Bayern during Champions but I hope you guys get what I'm asking.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

To answer your question shortly, no, as you don't seem to openly claim and pretend to be a fan of that team. So far, Bayern just displayed their talent to you and you enjoyed it. But you aren't claiming to be a Bayern Munich fan, pretending to know everything. Thats what a bandwagoner is in my eyes

As for the longer explination;

To cheer for Bayern is not considered as a bandwagon. To cheer for City might get you a couple of weird looks here and there, considering their recent success in the PL. A lot of people might generalize it, and suppose you are one of those who jumped on the bandwagon after they won the title.

Personally, I believe that if you don't want to be regarded as a bandwagon fan, learning about the Club is a good way to dissipate all doubts. Show that you are a fan of the Club, the crest on the jersey, and not just the current team. But thats my personal point of view. I don't know if most people will agree with me on this, but its how I view it. Its just something I tend to do on a personal basis. I watch hours of video about Arsenal to continuously inform myself. I read about the Club's history, and cheer for the The Arsenal.

One thing that everyone on this thread/board will agree on is; just watch a lot of games. Make a shortlist of teams you think you may enjoy, and just watch them whenever you have a chance to. Unconsciously, you will slowly start shifting towards one team, and before you know it, they will become the club you are attached to.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:18 AM
LOFIN

IMO everyone should be a fan of their local team first and foremost. If you have a chance to go see Galaxy games live, do it! Nothing beats live football. Then again, everyone of us likes to watch quality football in the winter as well. Some of the ppl just watch quality matches and don't root for any particular team, some choose another team overseas and stick with that. I find myself watching Arsenal, as they play a brand of football I like (or played atleast), and I like the clubs culture. But the local team always comes first in my oppinion.

I'm not a big fan of those people who look down on their local football teams and leagues and then claim to be a huge fan of one of the big European teams. The fact is that football is at its best when you can experience it live, and it's kinda hard if your favourite team is across the Pond.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think there's anything wrong with following a big Euro team as long as you put in the time and learn about them instead of just rooting for them when they win.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
villevalo

I'd suggest going to watch your local side in whatever quality that football is.

Case in point, I'm a fan of Tampa Bay Lightning, I like watching the games and am always looking towards the draft and so on.

But my local hockey side, about a million miles away from NHL hockey, just about semi pro, I support them, I have a much more emotional tie to the team, going through the bad times of nearly no team, highs of winning cups.

It means that if there's a Lightning game on tv or going to watch my hockey team....there's no comparison.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with watching Euro football, there is a case for going along and supporting your local sides.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The league below the EPL is the Championship, follwed by npower League 1 & npower League 2.

For relegation purposes, the 3 teams at the bottom of the EPL are relegated from the EPL to the Championship.

For promotion purposes, the top 2 teams from the Championship are automatically promoted to the EPL. Teams 3-6 battle in a mini playoff for the third promotion spot.
dannit you are right

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
To answer your question shortly, no, as you don't seem to openly claim and pretend to be a fan of that team. So far, Bayern just displayed their talent to you and you enjoyed it. But you aren't claiming to be a Bayern Munich fan, pretending to know everything. Thats what a bandwagoner is in my eyes

As for the longer explination;

To cheer for Bayern is not considered as a bandwagon. To cheer for City might get you a couple of weird looks here and there, considering their recent success in the PL. A lot of people might generalize it, and suppose you are one of those who jumped on the bandwagon after they won the title.

Personally, I believe that if you don't want to be regarded as a bandwagon fan, learning about the Club is a good way to dissipate all doubts. Show that you are a fan of the Club, the crest on the jersey, and not just the current team. But thats my personal point of view. I don't know if most people will agree with me on this, but its how I view it. Its just something I tend to do on a personal basis. I watch hours of video about Arsenal to continuously inform myself. I read about the Club's history, and cheer for the The Arsenal.

One thing that everyone on this thread/board will agree on is; just watch a lot of games. Make a shortlist of teams you think you may enjoy, and just watch them whenever you have a chance to. Unconsciously, you will slowly start shifting towards one team, and before you know it, they will become the club you are attached to.
Thanks man! I've been trying to watch all the games I can, it's hard to with time differences and school, but when I do get the chance I love watching it, I'm still trying to learn the style that they play in EPL and BDL, but it's very enjoyable. Still trying to learn the players besides you know Gomez, Muller, Ribery, Robben, Neuer, Schweinstiger, Lahm. One thing I do love about football is watching the unsung guys on the teams, one's that don't get recognized as much but are still very solid players and how quick the game can turn on the pitch, from one team dominating and not being able to score to the other team surprising them on the counter attack and all sudden it's 1-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
IMO everyone should be a fan of their local team first and foremost. If you have a chance to go see Galaxy games live, do it! Nothing beats live football. Then again, everyone of us likes to watch quality football in the winter as well. Some of the ppl just watch quality matches and don't root for any particular team, some choose another team overseas and stick with that. I find myself watching Arsenal, as they play a brand of football I like (or played atleast), and I like the clubs culture. But the local team always comes first in my oppinion.

I'm not a big fan of those people who look down on their local football teams and leagues and then claim to be a huge fan of one of the big European teams. The fact is that football is at its best when you can experience it live, and it's kinda hard if your favourite team is across the Pond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
I'd suggest going to watch your local side in whatever quality that football is.

Case in point, I'm a fan of Tampa Bay Lightning, I like watching the games and am always looking towards the draft and so on.

But my local hockey side, about a million miles away from NHL hockey, just about semi pro, I support them, I have a much more emotional tie to the team, going through the bad times of nearly no team, highs of winning cups.

It means that if there's a Lightning game on tv or going to watch my hockey team....there's no comparison.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with watching Euro football, there is a case for going along and supporting your local sides.
You guys are both right, I didn't mean to sound like I don't care about the Galaxy as much, they are just kinda in the back of my head right now with MLS still on break and all the winter ball going on, they still are my root team both as local and the team that got me into football, it was incredible watching the team turn the season around last year and make their run through the playoffs and seeing how much L.A got behind the team. I still haven't been to a game live, I really want to though, football is the only sport I haven't seen live yet. Although I do kinda wish I got to see Beckham live, either way it seems awesome live. Thanks for the answers though guys! Made me remember how much I really do love the Galaxy.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Cotton500

Like others said there's nothing wrong with liking a big team if you put in the effort.

I would recommend liking a middle of the pack team though to avoid that awkward stage of the team winning a championship before you can really call yourself a true fan.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:10 AM
VanCityCanuck

How is the next round of champions league decided

Is it decided by a draw?

And then the round after that is decided by a draw as well ?

VanCityCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:07 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

Yes and yes. The draw for the quarter finals is on Friday.

The_Human_Atombomb is offline   Reply With Quote