HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Tanking when the season is on might not be the popular thing, but that short time suffering can bring long time joy la Galchenyuk... If there is a season this year i hope we will tank again...
Last season was really painful, but if there is a season this year it won't last nearly as long so the pain is much more palatable.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Zathronas

vCash: 500
I'm trying VERY hard to lower my expectations on Galchenyuk. He's making it difficult right now

Old
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Last season was really painful, but if there is a season this year it won't last nearly as long so the pain is much more palatable.
Last season's tumble stung because of the sheer uncompetitiveness managing the team

Old
12-15-2012, 10:44 PM
NotProkofievian

It always felt like putting low ceilings on Gally's potential production was very artificial, and not backed by much really:

...it's just good to have that feeling validated.

For the last few games he's really been showing what I've wanted to see from him in the goal-scoring department. He's just dangerous with the puck at this point. Period.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:47 PM
NotProkofievian

There's no real reason to lower one's expectations of Galchenyuk. He won't be Crosby, but then again, no one else really is either. Being that the 10th most productive center in the game had 67 points last year, maybe 70 points is the new PPG?

However, I think Alex can be a PPG+ player in the NHL. I just don't see any reason beyond the fact that production of that kind is uncommon to say that he can't reach that level. Like seriously: what fundamental limitation does he have? First step?

Old
12-15-2012, 10:52 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
I'm trying VERY hard to lower my expectations on Galchenyuk. He's making it difficult right now
I know what you mean but for once we have real good reasons to expect a player to be a true star. Why not start to enjoy it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian
However, I think Alex can be a PPG+ player in the NHL. I just don't see any reason beyond the fact that production of that kind is uncommon to say that he can't reach that level. Like seriously: what fundamental limitation does he have? First step?
Its tough to say with average league scoring changing frequently due to rule changes. If league scoring ever goes back to something like 05-06 levels during Gally's prime a 100pts season might even happen. Under current scoring rates I think 70-80 is realistic.

He's such a complete player, not in the sense that he's good/average at everything but rather that he's great/amazing at everything. As you say first step could be better but he's still a 18yr old prospect, he probably knows it and with that mentality he has he'll come back after next summer as the quickest and best skaters at camp

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 12-15-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
There's no real reason to lower one's expectations of Galchenyuk. He won't be Crosby, but then again, no one else really is either. Being that the 10th most productive center in the game had 67 points last year, maybe 70 points is the new PPG?

Even if his first step is sketchy, he makes up for it in overall speed. Maybe height? As in he's not a Joe Thornton at 6'4 225lbs. That would be the only thing that qualifies as a fundamental limitation in my mind, and its really not his fault that he's only 6'1 or 6'2.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:58 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Even if his first step is sketchy, he makes up for it in overall speed. Maybe height? As in he's not a Joe Thornton at 6'4 225lbs. That would be the only thing that qualifies as a fundamental limitation in my mind, and its really not his fault that he's only 6'1 or 6'2.
Yeah, I wouldn't even describe it as being sketchy, tbh, just not as good as his other traits, which basically all happen to be all kinds of excellent.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:00 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I know what you mean but for once we have real good reasons to expect a player to be a true star. Why not start to enjoy it now?

Its tough to say with average league scoring changing frequently due to rule changes. If league scoring ever goes back to something like 05-06 levels during Gally's prime a 100pts season might even happen. Under current scoring rates I think 70-80 is realistic.

He's such a complete player, not in the sense that he's good/average at everything but rather that he's great/amazing at everything. As you say first step could be better but he's still a 18yr old prospect, he probably knows it and with that mentality he has he'll come back after next summer as the quickest and best skaters at camp
When he gets going he can really back d-men off, and he's fast enough for a center. It's not like D-men are going to be all over him with Patches screaming down the wing. I mean, they could try that, but there's actually a word for that sort of strategy in decision theory: inadmissible.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:00 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
I'm not sure theres even that big of an advantage being taller than 6'2'' for a forward, if at all. Maybe if he was slim and weak but he appears to be in great shape and naturally strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian
When he gets going he can really back d-men off, and he's fast enough for a center. It's not like D-men are going to be all over him with Patches screaming down the wing. I mean, they could try that, but there's actually a word for that sort of strategy in decision theory: inadmissible.
I really can't wait to see Galchenyuk and Pacioretty together. I think Gallagher might complete them well, a tenacious little bugger that snipes all the filthy passes.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:13 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I really can't wait to see Galchenyuk and Pacioretty together. I think Gallagher might complete them well, a tenacious little bugger that snipes all the filthy passes.
As I think Gally will be in the NHL as soon as there's a season, I think he with Desharnais, Eller, Pacioretty or Cole could be just awesome.

I particularly think that DD and Gally would work splendidly together. They're both so smart, and able to hang onto the puck that extra second.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Let's hope Therrien will know how to use Galchenyuk as well as he used Crosby in 2007 when he had his best season yet.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Impossible Glory

With Plekanec and Desharnais as our first 2C, I wonder if we could use him like the Bruins did with Seguin. Even if you want him playing center eventually, let him play on Eller's wing for a while. On the 3rd line, he'd either have weaker opposition or an opportunity to improve his (already very good) two-way game at the NHL level.

That would also be veeeeeeeeery good for Lars to finally have an offensive gifted player with him...

Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
With Plekanec and Desharnais as our first 2C, I wonder if we could use him like the Bruins did with Seguin. Even if you want him playing center eventually, let him play on Eller's wing for a while. On the 3rd line, he'd either have weaker opposition or an opportunity to improve his (already very good) two-way game at the NHL level.

That would also be veeeeeeeeery good for Lars to finally have an offensive gifted player with him...
Wouldn't a third line with Eller, Galchenyuk and one of Moen/Armstrong.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

Him and Lars would be great together.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
durojean

I have to say I was wrong about Galchenyuk... A hell of a player.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:40 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Him and Lars would be great together.
Yup.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
DAChampion

Lars gets tough defensive matchups though.

Galchenyuk may be talented but he's still a rookie. Would be better to start him off against weaker competition. The Desharnais line would as such be a better option than the Eller line, unless they modify things and give Eller easier minutes.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
That's exactly how I see it. Also, he doesn't fight. But like his height, it's usless nitpicking at this point... the kid is a complete player. The best offensive prospect we drafted since... Lafleur? Did I just said that?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

I'm totally for starting Gally as a winger, especially since we are already lacking left wingers! Gally-Eller-Bourque could be a safe way of giving him some minutes with good players.

If he gets better, he could be promoted to Plekanec wing. Gally - Plekanec - Gionta could give us the second scoring line we need.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Moneyman2k6

Quote:

Yuppp it would be a crazy line the two best hands of the team in the same line!! 3rd line against weaker opponents, might be one of the best third if they connect well! and might be good for his developpement aswell

Old
12-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

As for Gally, this time no one should be stealing him the Player of the week honor. What an awesome weekend for him and the Sting

Old
12-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
If Gally is in the NHL this season, he should be in the top 6.

Otherwise he goes back to Sarnia.

Don't see the point in using up a year of ELC/service time for 40 some games to play 12 minutes a night.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If Gally is in the NHL this season, he should be in the top 6.

Otherwise he goes back to Sarnia.

Don't see the point in using up a year of ELC/service time for 40 some games to play 12 minutes a night.
A year of ELC/service might not mean as much in the new CBA.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
GalHabsGal

"Alex Galchenyuk is close to being NHL ready, if not ready"

http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/bl...tryID=10480172

Click the radion button and have fun

Closed Thread