HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 NY Mets/Yankees & Baseball Discussion Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
I wouldn't give up on Flores. The kid apparently has a good bat. Sherman and others are suggesting whoever else the Mets send back is an insignificant prospect. Flores is not that. He won't play third but he could easily play second, or possibly back at short, or even in the outfield. He's still two years away at the minimum, a lot can happen.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I wouldn't give up on Flores. The kid apparently has a good bat. Sherman and others are suggesting whoever else the Mets send back is an insignificant prospect. Flores is not that. He won't play third but he could easily play second, or possibly back at short, or even in the outfield. He's still two years away at the minimum, a lot can happen.
well if the mets are sending back an insignificant prospect, then I can't see how Snydergaard is involved in the deal. it just doesn't make sense from the Jays POV. it would be like back in 03 if the mets traded for Roger Clemens and offered David Wright & then just threw in Scott Kazmir. granted Kazmir was a better prospect than Snydergaard, but it's the best example i could come up with at this time.

I hope it works out & the mets get both d'Arnaud & Snydergaard, but I think they're going to have to give up something of value beyond Dickey to do it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Krams
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Flores has no future here with Wright at third and Davis at first. By all indications, Flores' range is so abysmal that second base and shortstop are entirely out of the question. I would not have any qualms if he goes in this deal.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Riddick

honestly, i'd like dickey to come back somehow at the end. Its just going to be weird to see him on another team, awesome human being, amazing story and just an actual feel-good story.

but the mets ARE doing the right thing by trading him. Honestly, they should have traded wright too but whats done is done.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
honestly, i'd like dickey to come back somehow at the end. Its just going to be weird to see him on another team, awesome human being, amazing story and just an actual feel-good story.

but the mets ARE doing the right thing by trading him. Honestly, they should have traded wright too but whats done is done.
How do you know their not trading wright?

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
Flores has no future here with Wright at third and Davis at first. By all indications, Flores' range is so abysmal that second base and shortstop are entirely out of the question. I would not have any qualms if he goes in this deal.
I had read a few times over the last couple years that there was speculation he'd eventually end up in a corner outfield spot.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
well if the mets are sending back an insignificant prospect, then I can't see how Snydergaard is involved in the deal. it just doesn't make sense from the Jays POV. it would be like back in 03 if the mets traded for Roger Clemens and offered David Wright & then just threw in Scott Kazmir. granted Kazmir was a better prospect than Snydergaard, but it's the best example i could come up with at this time.

I hope it works out & the mets get both d'Arnaud & Snydergaard, but I think they're going to have to give up something of value beyond Dickey to do it.
For future reference, it's Syndergaard.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Per Rosenthal and MLBTradeRumors, the deal is pretty much done pending a Dickey extension.

Dickey, Thole, Prospect

For

d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, John Buck, Prospect

Last edited by seafoam: 12-16-2012 at 01:42 PM.
seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Also John Buck is the only Wyoming born MLB player, we drafted Wyoming native Brandon Nimmo two years ago.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Bunk Moreland

Wonder what kind of extension dickey gets... Don't know if he'll be asking the same price he was asking for the mets. Buster olney just threw out 3 years $40/45 extension on top of this season at $5mil.. Going to be interesting but if this deal is completed I will be very very happy.. Sad to see dickey go huge fans of his but this is a good move.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Isles Junkie

If this deal goes down as I think it will (Flores going back) then it has the potential to be one of the best trades the Mets have ever made. Granted, Travis & Noah need to pan out, but if they do, and Wheeler & Harvey also do, then we're looking at one kick ass team come 2015.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Renbarg

The prospect going back to the Jays has to be someone from the Kolarek, Fraser class. Those are "non-elite guys." While Flores may not be elite, he would be significant enough for him to not be discounted as "non-elite."

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

too bad the Mets couldnt pull Sanchez in the deal, that would have been amazing...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
too bad the Mets couldnt pull Sanchez in the deal, that would have been amazing...
maybe he's the unknown prospect going back

Old
12-16-2012, 03:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
maybe he's the unknown prospect going back

that Sanchez is not going anywhere

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
If this deal goes down as I think it will (Flores going back) then it has the potential to be one of the best trades the Mets have ever made. Granted, Travis & Noah need to pan out, but if they do, and Wheeler & Harvey also do, then we're looking at one kick ass team come 2015.
Quote:
The prospect going back to the Jays has to be someone from the Kolarek, Fraser class. Those are "non-elite guys." While Flores may not be elite, he would be significant enough for him to not be discounted as "non-elite."
I'm leaning more toward Flores not being involved just because of what Renbarg said.. He may not be a blue chip top 20 prospect but hes still a pretty good prospect and I don't think he qualifies as non elite.. But you never know.

I just hope they wrap this extension up quickly.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:57 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I'm leaning more toward Flores not being involved just because of what Renbarg said.. He may not be a blue chip top 20 prospect but hes still a pretty good prospect and I don't think he qualifies as non elite.. But you never know.

I just hope they wrap this extension up quickly.
Agreed. Flores will not be a part of this deal. I still would like to see Flores traded, but I would rather wait until the deadline/2013-14 offseason. If he has another big offensive year, I could see him shooting into the top-50 prospect rank. Not to mention a lot of people view Syndergaard as a Wheeler-type, a kid who is already considered a top-50ish prospect but should continue to climb the rankings, eventually hitting that top-20, or even top-10 range.

The Mets now have some serious arms in their system. Guys like Fulmer, Tapia, Montero are all guys in Low-A ball with huge upside. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them sees their stock skyrocket next year if they continue with their expected progression. Really exciting day for Met fans. First one in a while.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Agreed. Flores will not be a part of this deal. I still would like to see Flores traded, but I would rather wait until the deadline/2013-14 offseason. If he has another big offensive year, I could see him shooting into the top-50 prospect rank. Not to mention a lot of people view Syndergaard as a Wheeler-type, a kid who is already considered a top-50ish prospect but should continue to climb the rankings, eventually hitting that top-20, or even top-10 range.
Flores is only 21, has a lot of power, and strikes out at a very low rate for a power hitter. (He's only 21, people who think his power potential is 'limited' need to see that through.) He projects as an OF/1B bat. I hope the Mets try him in RF in the minors this upcoming year. They can also move him to first if Ike can't be consistent.

Flores is a *much* better hitting prospect than Lucas Duda. What would you like to trade him for? Our infield is okay. We're not going to get a CF prospect with speed and OBP ability for him (our #1 organizational need). More than anything else, we've got starting pitching in the system. It's folly to trade for relievers.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Bunk Moreland

R.A. Dickey and the Blue Jays have agreed to a 2-year $25 million extension and has just landed in Florida at the Blue Jays spring training facility to take a medical exam. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos flew down to Dickey's Nashville home to personally negotiate with R.A. and his agent and quickly came to a deal. I am a little surprised Dickey didn't get more money than he did because he held all the leverage as well as there were reports he was asking for 3 years from the Jays. They did structure the deal to give him more money next year to help with the Canadian taxes and all that stuff.

A lot of applause for the Mets around the league by being able to pull this deal off cause this d'Arnaud is so highly touted around the league as well as Snydergaard. I like the deal from the Jays perspective also cause now they have a pretty damn solid rotation and have a legit shot at winning the east this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...y-trade-121412

Old
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Flores is only 21, has a lot of power, and strikes out at a very low rate for a power hitter. (He's only 21, people who think his power potential is 'limited' need to see that through.) He projects as an OF/1B bat. I hope the Mets try him in RF in the minors this upcoming year. They can also move him to first if Ike can't be consistent.

Flores is a *much* better hitting prospect than Lucas Duda. What would you like to trade him for? Our infield is okay. We're not going to get a CF prospect with speed and OBP ability for him (our #1 organizational need). More than anything else, we've got starting pitching in the system. It's folly to trade for relievers.

Cheers,

Dan-o
An outfielder, without a doubt. Flores doesn't have the speed or range to play a corner OF spot. He's either a 3B or a 1B. Two positions the Mets have filled for the foreseeable future. I'd try to find a team in need of a quality 3B prospect, who has quality OFers that can be had. Arizona is that type of team, at least on the surface. Their interest in a high-end 3B prospect has been well documented, but it's unclear just how available Justin Upton has been these past 6-months or so. There was talk of them moving him to Texas for a package centered around 3B prospect Mike Olt. Either way, a player like that would definitely get my attention.

That said, I'd love to see the Mets invest in Michael Bourn, even if it means no real spending anywhere else. Bourn would be a perfect fit for CitiField; offensively and defensively. He'd be perfect at the top of our lineup as well. If the Mets view CF as a need, they might as well make a play for him considering next offseason(when all this money comes off the books) the only viable option will be Ellsbury, who may end up being re-signed before that point(and he'll be the same age then that Bourn is now).

Hopefully the Mets aren't quite done yet this offseason.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Isles Junkie

This is just robbery folks.

Dickey, Thole & Nickeas for d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Buck & Wuilmer Becerra http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=becerr000wui

He's a 18 year old OF prospect who played 11 games in Rookie ball last year

WOW, this has the potential to be one of the best deals this franchis ever made.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:51 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
I like the haul of prospects Sandy got, but I hate to see Dickey go. The Mets FINALLY had a player I would check to see when he pitched and tuned into watch- and now he is gone. Hopefully Harvey is that guy this year. That being written, Sandy has to do something seriously to upgrade the outfield ASAP(Cody Ross?). A outfield of Duda, Nieuwenhuis, and who? means another 70ish win season. Adding another veteran starting pitcher like Joe Saunders couldn't hurt either. I like the direction Sandy is taking but he really has some work to do to make this team watchable THIS season.
And don't get me started on the bullpen....

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:11 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

More good news today for the Mets, Mike Pelfrey has signed with the Minnesota Twins!

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...s_min&c_id=min

Old
12-23-2012, 10:28 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

We finally bolstered our outfeild...http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...s_nym&c_id=nym

Quote:
The Mets helped fill their need for right-handed-hitting outfielders Tuesday, picking up Collin Cowgill in a trade with the A's.

In exchange for Cowgill, the Mets sent Minor League infielder Jefry Marte to Oakland.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Bunk Moreland

About ten minutes away from Hall of Fame announcement.

After reading dozens of articles on the subject I've become infuriated with how the baseball writers handle the voting process. I really think that nobody is going to get in with Biggio maybe having the best shot. I saw Joel Sherman based his vote off of these new stats WAR7 and JAWS which had Mike Piazza as his 14th best player on the ballot and he voted in guys like Lofton and Larry Walker while leaving Piazza off of it. A writer in philly decided this year he was going to base his vote off of the "character clause" and only voted in Dale Murphy because he was a "good guy". Utterly ridiculous..

I know the whole steroid era is really coming into focus here and thats where almost all the writers are getting on their high horse looking down on the players. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about steroids its gotten to the point where I don't even care anymore. Let them in acknowledge the era as the steroid era and move on if these guys continue to hang over our heads its never going to end... Which would lead to more stories for the writers to print. A good number of writers submitted blank ballots in some sort of "boycott" against the roid era which is just absolutely insane.