HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
12-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Hynh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's easier to teach a young guy defence than it is to teach a young guy how to be an offensive catalyst from the back-end.
Mike Bossy.txt

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'm going to address these issues objectively:

6. And way more expectations from management
Not a real factor IMO

I'm going to add a big one that I see:
7. Schultz doesn't have an NHL-calibre slapshot
While not amazing, Karlsson's slapshot is definitely effective and allows him to get a lot of goals. Schultz and Karlsson have arguably equal wrist shots, but a defenseman's bread and butter should be their slapshot. Teams are going to figure out really quick that they don't need to respect Schultz's slapshot or one-timer, and it may remove his effectiveness on the PP.
The reason I state his expectations as an issue are for those expecting him to live up to his hype at an NHL level. Nobody expected Karlsson to have the season he did. He seems really cool headed which is great, because the media in EDM can be ridiculously unforgiving.

And its true his slapshot is weaker than Karlsson's. But I would expect them to put Yakupov on the point the way NJ does with Kovi. The big 5 on the ice at the same time is a scary thought lol.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:24 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I'm going to address these issues objectively:

1. He doesn't even have a roster spot yet (really he does, but don't tell Potter)
Let's be honest. The spot is his, and will be hard to lose
2. The Oil get stuck in their own zone way to often.
So did the Sens. Karlsson changed it. Hopefully Schultz will be able to thanks to the style of game he plays. He does need a great neutralizer of a D partner (A Smid-type) to help relieve pressure in the zone and retrieve the puck for him. I trust our centers' ability to help with the generation of a break-out.
3. The best centers FO wise play on our 3rd/4th lines.
This is a major problem. Schultz isn't going to be given much time with Horcoff/Belanger, and Gagner/RNH are poor FO players. Getting possession off the bat will definitely be difficult. A luxury Karlsson does enjoy in Ottawa.
4. The west has much better goaltending than the east. (Aside from Lundqvist)
This is definitely true. There is a noticeably stronger defensive presence in the WC, as well as better goaltending.
5. The Oil are always injury plagued.
It's true. And it tends to happen to our top-6 forwards more than anyone else
6. And way more expectations from management
Not a real factor IMO

While not amazing, Karlsson's slapshot is definitely effective and allows him to get a lot of goals. Schultz and Karlsson have arguably equal wrist shots, but a defenseman's bread and butter should be their slapshot. Teams are going to figure out really quick that they don't need to respect Schultz's slapshot or one-timer, and it may remove his effectiveness on the PP.
Well, youre a breath of fresh air arent you?

Glad to hear Schultz isnt stupid and lacking hockey sense, he just doesnt have a slap shot, so the opposition will be able to shut him down on the pp, kind of like they are doing now right?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, youre a breath of fresh air arent you?

Glad to hear Schultz isnt stupid and lacking hockey sense, he just doesnt have a slap shot, so the opposition will be able to shut him down on the pp, kind of like they are doing now right?
I don't get how he thinks lacking a slapshot will let them shut him down. His passing and wrist shot make him far more dangerous than a one dimensional howitzer.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
I don't get how he thinks lacking a slapshot will let them shut him down. His passing and wrist shot make him far more dangerous than a one dimensional howitzer.
Agreed, Rafalski couldn't break and egg with his slapshot.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:57 AM
OilFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Its not accusations when in interviews Schultz said the same thing to the reporters. How Edmonton was always the place he had in mind, and blah blah blah.
he had edmonton in his mind when he was picking teams, not the whole time he was in college... he was close to signing with vancouver but couldnt resist playing with young talent he can play with for years and had a lot of people from the oil convincing him of such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
And that's where it ends (plus an old Alfie) for the Sens offensive output. Make no mistake, our team was poor.

Does Karlsson project to be Karlsson ever again? Karlsson might settle as a 70 point player. Not valid to say you can't compare because Shultz will not get 80 points.

Karlsson is a smooth/quick skater, hold the pucks and can skate from end to end, and shoots a ton. If Shultz has some of those attributes and projects to be 50+ scorer in the NHL, it's a valid to compare the two. Specifically, does Shultz pass the puck (like Redden) or also rush/carry (like Karlsson)?
schultz and karlsson will be racing each other for points imo both have quite similar tools and are such an offensive threat, add in the additional talent schultz gets to play with should ensure he is in that race.

he doesnt need to slap it he can walk in and get a very accurate shot off quickly or make a big pass. schultz is often pinching in to save plays that should of died and often makes a goal or good scoring chance out of what should of been nothing.

he is very good at creating a rush or coming out of nowhere to take a pass from eberle and fire it top shelf.

when the kid line in okc isnt getting in the zone well schultz gets it done and it always = a good scoring chance or goal out of his rushes

i have no doubt his offensive game will transfer into the nhl just the same

as for his defensive game will need to improve ofcourse but he is fairly good and his positioning is very solid, with his smarts he will improve his defensive game very fast

karlsson schultz point races for years to come

OilFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Edmonton needs to be care full with him. He is a very smart guy that understand the game well. If Edomonton is ok with him playing a little wild he will be fine. But if he has to kick his D game in he will take fewer chances and his numbers will go down. Something like create 5 chances give up 2-3. Or create 2 chances and give up none. I could see him letting a lot of people down in the near future. I see something more like 5-10 g 25-40a for 30-50 points. Very much like Ryan Sutter another WI grad if he uses his smarts to play D. Or worse case i see him like MAB.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Only 1 point from Schultz tonight (a goal) He is now just 8 goals from tying the AHL rookie record for goals by a d-man.

24 games 12-23-35 +12

12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Baggie

How many games has he played without points? Like 2 or 3?

Baggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:53 PM
ponder

Quote:
Minor point, but Karlsson's slapshot most definitely IS amazing, a rocket with great accuracy that he gets off very easily. Regardless, I don't think a "meh" slapper will be a big deal for Schultz. His game is built more around passing and darting in from the point, something he's very effective at with his great wrister and excellent shiftiness.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:39 PM
OilFury

i believe its 3 games he hasnt scored in, 2 of those being the barons got shutout

OilFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
... annnnnnd another goal so far tonight. Kid is unreal. Oh, but lookout... Eberle is now only one point behind him in scoring. The minute he passes Schultz, I'm labeling him a bust.

Edit: ...and an assist.

Last edited by Yosemite Sam: 12-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:36 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
... annnnnnd another goal so far tonight. Kid is unreal. Oh, but lookout... Eberle is now only one point behind him in scoring. The minute he passes Schultz, I'm labeling him a bust.
Not gonna happen though, Eberle is scoring at an unsustainable pace

But seriously, his shooting % is now above 25%!!

edit: Eberle with his first professional hat-trick!! Schultz with an assist - 37 points for him now.

Last edited by franfrey*: 12-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

The thing with defenseman is we never know for sure how their game will translate to the nhl... i will use as exemple the top draft picks and say often a top pick defenseman as more diffuclty reaching expectations... i am very intrigued by this guy... stats alone since i have not see him play... i would be pissed if he is as good as some people say... anaheim got $@#$!& so hard. While Edmonton stockpiling elite talent... but will they be the new era NY Islanders?!?!! I sure hope they trade away a player to montreal...

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
The thing with defenseman is we never know for sure how their game will translate to the nhl... i will use as exemple the top draft picks and say often a top pick defenseman as more diffuclty reaching expectations...
True, but junior-to-NHL is a looooong development path whereas AHL to NHL is a smaller jump. I tend to hate D prospects and also throw players in the bust bin earlier than most - when prospects stall in development that's a massive red flag. PPG in AHL at 20 is my line in sand for impact NHL forward. For D-men, I want to see +/- and points improve every season in the AHL and if they aren't NHL pros by 22/23 I'm not very high on them.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Not leading the league in scoring anymore. Trade him before it's too late.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:37 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Eberle was bound to take the lead in scoring...he's an NHLer playing in the AHL!! What do you expect!!?

It just goes to show you how raw and unproven Schultz is...and also that Ryan Murray is probably better.

Also, Eberle's shooting percentage is unsustainable.

Also, I'd take Sequin.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Also, Eberle's shooting percentage is unsustainable.
100% is rather high. 90% might be little more reasonable.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Yeah tied in points, but what a bum, he hasn't topped Eberle's 19 goals in 25 games. What a bum!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
True, but junior-to-NHL is a looooong development path whereas AHL to NHL is a smaller jump. I tend to hate D prospects and also throw players in the bust bin earlier than most - when prospects stall in development that's a massive red flag. PPG in AHL at 20 is my line in sand for impact NHL forward. For D-men, I want to see +/- and points improve every season in the AHL and if they aren't NHL pros by 22/23 I'm not very high on them.
Ridiculously arbitrary. Last year, there were only seven players that hit a 1.0 PPG with more than 60 games under their belt. 12 if you include those within 5 points of a 1.0 PPG in the AHL AND having played 48+games (arbitrary number, sure, but anything lower is subjectively not a very strong sample size). This was even before the league had been saturated with an influx of talent due to the lockout. Only one player of those 12, Nyquist, was 22 or younger at that time.

I suppose every team that had 20+ year olds as prospects in the AHL last year failed to develop anything significant. Other than Detroit I guess.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Only 1 point from Schultz tonight (a goal) He is now just 8 goals from tying the AHL rookie record for goals by a d-man.

24 games 12-23-35 +12
That's a great start but the reality is that the better he does in the AHL the bigger the hype train and then disappointment will be.

I mean he might actually have something like a 60 PPG pace when his rookie season actually starts in the NHL and there will be the inevitable disappointment.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
That's a great start but the reality is that the better he does in the AHL the bigger the hype train and then disappointment will be.

I mean he might actually have something like a 60 PPG pace when his rookie season actually starts in the NHL and there will be the inevitable disappointment.
lol. Great logic. I guess Schultz should intentionally lower the level of his play.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
100% is rather high. 90% might be little more reasonable.
Well 27.9% is indeed unsustainable.

Check back in 4 weeks, it will be lower.

We really can't tell too much about the development of Edmonton's prospects other that than they are playing together and they will be more game ready than most teams if and when the season starts, nothing more and nothing less.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
lol. Great logic. I guess Schultz should intentionally lower the level of his play.
Sure that's exactly what I meant.

The point of the matter is that people are going to be disappointed.

I like the guy and think it was the best long term off season move the Oilers made, even more important than Yakapov, but the NHL is still a lot different than the AHL and often people forget that on HF boards.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post

I assume you mean a 0.60 ppg average? That would be 49 points over 82 games. I could see him flirting with those numbers as a rookie in a full season with the Oilers. The 30 point projections for his rookie season (assuming a full season) are laughable.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote