HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Southern_Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Andersson should really be getting more ice-time, in my opinion. Probably has potential as a #5/#6 guy one day. I don't really get what Arniel (or Baumgartner?) is thinking with the Wolves defense. Polasek is another guy that, IMO undeservedly, has been stuck in the ECHL.
I don't know what you expect Arniel and Baumgartner to do - likely Joslin was intended to be in Vancouver on the Canucks roster, and here is how the other game distribution has broken down:

Connauton GP 22
Matheson (AHL contract) GP 21
Tanev GP 21
Joslin GP 20
Hunt (AHL contract) GP 18
Sauve GP 12
Andersson GP 10 (just back from injury)
Miskovic (AHL contract) GP 9
Blain (AHL contract, now tearing up the ECHL in Idaho with 16 points in 22 games) GP 3
Mullen GP 2 (is still injured, and would likely be playing if healthy)

So really only two AHL contract players (Matheson and Hunt) are taking away time from Canuck contracted players. If Mullen was healthy, he'd probably be taking ice time from Hunt.

S_C

Old
12-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen scored two goals and added one assist for Denmark as the Men's National Team beat France 3-1 today.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen scored two goals and added one assist for Denmark as the Men's National Team beat France 3-1 today.
Jensen just keeps chugging along.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
ZenMaster*

Jensen-Kesler-Kassian

That's going to be one hell of a line.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:28 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
@TysonGiuriato
jensen gonna jens

Old
12-15-2012, 06:42 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
@TysonGiuriato
It's worth mentioning that it was the final of a pre OG Qual tournament, in France.

France had an almost complete team on ice while Denmark were skating a B team led by Jensen.

France were favourites in ths game and led until a few minutes before time.
Then Jensen scored one goal 3 minutes before time, he stole the puck at the blue line crossed over and went high gloveside on the goalie.He then added an unassisted EN seconds before time.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
I don't know what you expect Arniel and Baumgartner to do - likely Joslin was intended to be in Vancouver on the Canucks roster, and here is how the other game distribution has broken down:

Connauton GP 22
Tanev GP 21
Joslin GP 20
Sauve GP 12
Blain (AHL contract, now tearing up the ECHL in Idaho with 16 points in 22 games) GP 3

So really only two AHL contract players (Matheson and Hunt) are taking away time from Canuck contracted players. If Mullen was healthy, he'd probably be taking ice time from Hunt.

S_C
Andersson, Polasek > Sauve, by a fair margin. But if you had kept reading you would've noticed that I did not realize he was injrured.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Southern_Canuck

Quote:
Andersson, Polasek > Sauve, by a fair margin. But if you had kept reading you would've noticed that I did not realize he was injrured.
Yup, I didn't see that. It just seems that Arniel is getting a bad rap, but nobody is factoring in the lineup management that he is forced into with arguably 4-6 NHL roster players impairing icetime for developing players:

Kassian
Tanev
Schroeder
Joslin
Ebbett
Gordon

S_C

Old
12-15-2012, 08:14 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Yeah, there's a lot of really well rounded guys in the system right now with Tanev, Corrado, Price, and Andersson. None of them necessarily excel at any one thing, but none of them have any major weaknesses either. Corrado is definitely the most gifted of those four and probably has the highest potential.

Andersson should really be getting more ice-time, in my opinion. Probably has potential as a #5/#6 guy one day. I don't really get what Arniel (or Baumgartner?) is thinking with the Wolves defense. Polasek is another guy that, IMO undeservedly, has been stuck in the ECHL.
This. It's exciting to know that Corrado, Price and Tommernes (if he comes over) could be with the Wolves next year. All of a sudden we might have 3 viable young right D-men in the system including Tanev. So there is value in clearing up some space for these guys to get ice-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I actually really like him. He surprised me with his game and the way he has adapted. I think he has adapted fairly well already. He skates well for a big guy, mobile, reads the game well defensively, makes the safe play just about 90% of the time, calm with the puck, good passer, uses his size to separate guys from the puck, and engages in the puck battles. Also, there are flashes of an offensive upside too. He didn't look too out of place on the sparse PP time he got at the beginning of the season.

Definitely better than Sauve, better than Erixon last year. Goes to show you what happens in Swedish leagues are not always a reflection of their actual play. Erixon has returned to Timra and is still their #1, but Andersson couldn't even stick on Frolunda but looks much better with the Wolves. If i had a comparison, Carl Gunnarson would fit i think.
That's good to hear. Considering he was stuck in the Allsvenskan for a while I think everyone was surprised to hear that he made the cut for the Wolves but so far his play seems encouraging.

If McNally turns pro and signs with the organization, that could be a lot of good young D-men with potential in the cupboard.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:19 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
In Mallet's case, I agree with you - some time in the ECHL could make sense as a step between the Q and the AHL. My general point is still valid (I think) - generalizing is often problematic, isn't it?

Well if the lockout ends...Tanev's spot on the roster will open up hopefully for Polasek (someone on the roster will need to move to the right side). But it also seems Anderson hasn't played much at all, I have no idea how well he has played but since Sauve hasn't progressed apparently in 3 years, then shouldn't Sauve be the odd man out?

Btw, if McNally turns pro, that will create a further bottleneck back there.

ps - not that it means that much but hockeydb has Connauton at a team leading -9.
Assuming the lockout ends by next October, I'd like to see this for the Wolves D next year:

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Price
McNally - Polasek

A bit green, but a lot of mobility and two-way potential. A lot of them very well-rounded too and able to move the puck.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Tiranis

4 rookies? Scary! I think they need at least one veteran. I doubt this would fly with the Wolves management.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
timw33

Quote:
4 rookies? Scary! I think they need at least one veteran. I doubt this would fly with the Wolves management.
Remember that Chicago isn't renewing with us for next season, right?

Old
12-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Remember that Chicago isn't renewing with us for next season, right?
Haven't heard any official confirmation. Seemed like speculation to me. Either way, most AHL teams want to win and playing 4 rookies on D more than likely goes against that.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post

Connauton GP 22
Tanev GP 21
Joslin GP 20
Sauve GP 12

S_C
Is there a reason why Blain didn't go to the K-Wings?

I realize he's not a Canucks prospect, but it seems he's probably being a looked at by the Canucks, no?

Seems more worthy of a contract spot than a lot of other trash we've given contracts.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:04 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Haha, no doubt. I'd just like to see our guys get as much ice time as possible if they can, though I wouldn't be averse to having a veteran or two. But the coaching factor could be important too - MacT did a good job with a worse team last year, and so far the defense this year has been pretty bad under Arniel...

Old
12-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Wisp

Corrado puts up another point tonight.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:32 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Assuming the lockout ends by next October, I'd like to see this for the Wolves D next year:

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Price
McNally - Polasek

A bit green, but a lot of mobility and two-way potential. A lot of them very well-rounded too and able to move the puck.
A bit too green for my liking. We started very green last year on the wolves and it was a bit shaky. Need some vets mixed in.

But some pairings I'd like to see tried:

Andersson and Tommernes - played together in juniors and in the SEL. A good balance of two way play, a steadying guy in andersson, allowing tommernes room to skate the puck and adjust faster.

Polasek and Price - with the RPI site someone kindly posted, I've seen 4 Colgate games from last season. Price is the kind of guy who is solid at all areas of the game but does not stand out in any specific area. He is a good PKer, can move the puck on the PP but not sure if he will be a top guy at the next level, makes sound decisions defensively most of the time but does make some memorable giveaways at times. Not a physical by any means. Despite being built bigger than Tanev, does not play much more physical than Tanev. Polasek would be a good balance, can skate and provide a good physical presence on that pairing.

Corrado can play with anyone really and I think he could fit.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:40 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Haha, no doubt. I'd just like to see our guys get as much ice time as possible if they can, though I wouldn't be averse to having a veteran or two. But the coaching factor could be important too - MacT did a good job with a worse team last year, and so far the defense this year has been pretty bad under Arniel...
I blame Baumgartner. He was inept as a defenseman and it follows that he has translated that into his coaching abilities. (Why hire Baumgartner as your asst. coach when he hasn't any experience coaching in any capacity?-typical Canucks nepotism)

Old
12-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Price
McNally - Polasek

Didn't realize Canucks could have 6 dmen prospects in the AHL next year, in addition to Connauton and Sauve who would be the vets I guess. 6 lefties, 2 righties.

That's deep and from what has been discussed here, pretty decent ones at that.

Souns like someone will graduate very early

Last edited by Outside99*: 12-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Pseudonymous

Is corrado racking up that many pp points or? I notice hes a -9 and past seasons, he's been +26 and stuff so. whats the main reasoning for that?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Is corrado racking up that many pp points or? I notice hes a -9 and past seasons, he's been +26 and stuff so. whats the main reasoning for that?
his team is awful

edit: although he is almost a team worst, i dunno

Old
12-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Corrado plays, like, half hour a night against his opponents scoring lines. They're a bad team and don't have anything besides him, so they use him for everything. When you're on the ice that much with not much help, you're going to be out for more than your share of scoring events.

His PP points is 14, by the way. Don't pay much of attention to +/-. It's the worst stat in hockey without knowing the context. In the NHL, Victor Hedman was in a similar situation & was -9.

Last edited by Wisp: 12-15-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old
12-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Pseudonymous

I dont pay attention to it and im hardly worried because of it, though i thought i'd ask considering the drastic change. And hes on the same team as last year, did they lose a bunch of good players? going from +26 to -9 with that many points just seemed strange.

Again, not worried, i watched him play and he looks great

Also if Victor Hedman was +26 the year before, i'd also question it. As I would with any NHL D man that went from +26 to -9

Old
12-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

I know some of our posters went to Harvard so I have a question for them; I hear Ivy league schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

Does that mean that McNally had to pay his own way through school? If so, not being able to play in the NCAA shouldn't be a problem if he went back later in life, that is assuming his hockey career didn't pan out (Knock on wood) thus money is a problem.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Wisp

Quote:
I dont pay attention to it and im hardly worried because of it, though i thought i'd ask considering the drastic change. And hes on the same team as last year, did they lose a bunch of good players? going from +26 to -9 with that many points just seemed strange.
They lost Sgbossa, who was 100+ point player for them as well as one of their better D in McFadden.

Quote:
Also if Victor Hedman was +26 the year before, i'd also question it. As I would with any NHL D man that went from +26 to -9
Why? +/- says more about the 5-man unit than it does an individual. It'll fluctuate as the make up of a team fluctuates. David Krejci is a somewhat similar example of this in the NHL, I think (though less extreme).

Last edited by Wisp: 12-16-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Closed Thread