HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'm saying he's the #1 centre on the Oilers, but hasn't proven himself to be a legit #1 centre in the league. Much like Jonathan Toews was Chicago's #1 centre following his rookie season, but hadn't yet proven himself to be in the same class as other top centremen in the NHL.
Woah, woah, we're sliding to verbiage of "true/legit #1 centre" by extension of comparisons with "top #1 centres"? This looks like little more than erecting a buffer of subjectivity. While we're on the subject, are we judging relative to the same "ideal #1 centre". That's another layer you could use, I'm sure.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
RStar*

Quote:
The point still makes sense, whether RNH scored at a PpG pace, the pace he did score at, or a lower pace. RNH didn't dominate. He didn't come into the league and put up 100 points playing with bums. He scored at nearly a PpG pace, playing alongside Jordan Eberle for most of the year, while getting the bulk of Edmonton's offensive zone starts (62.5%).

RNH is an excellent player. I have no doubt he will be a true #1 centre, I just don't think he is one yet.
So by your standards a #1 center has to score 100 points in a season?

Being at near ppg pace easily ranks you as a #1 center. He needs to improve his draws and on defense, but that comes with age and experience.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:42 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
The point still makes sense, whether RNH scored at a PpG pace, the pace he did score at, or a lower pace. RNH didn't dominate. He didn't come into the league and put up 100 points playing with bums. He scored at nearly a PpG pace, playing alongside Jordan Eberle for most of the year, while getting the bulk of Edmonton's offensive zone starts (62.5%).

RNH is an excellent player. I have no doubt he will be a true #1 centre, I just don't think he is one yet.
He dominated on the PP

He did as well as anyone should expect an 18 year old to do (especially one with RNH's frame).

Old
12-15-2012, 06:49 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He dominated on the PP

He did as well as anyone should expect an 18 year old to do (especially one with RNH's frame).
I'm not a EDM fan but RNH might as well be considered a decent option for "legit #1C" in the NHL...
36th in ES pts/60 for C (some above him didn't/don't play C anymore; ex: KWellwood, EKane, JEberle)
He wasn't sheltered from top competition (although was pushed into the offensive zone)

He may currently be a low end 1C... but with his youth, I don't think that will stay that low.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:46 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Yes, I honestly do feel like RNH will put up one of the most dominating performances in WJC history, not a stretch to say or truly believe that.
Not a stretch? Kevin Lowe and Oiler fans have been telling us about their world class young guns for more than ten years now. RNH is the first one that I think has a shot. I hope he does, but it's anything but a sure thing to be the most dominating ever.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Let's chill out and be happy RNH is playing in the tournament. He will be a huge key to team Canada's success but let's not forget that it's a team effort. Just relax and enjoy the games

Old
12-15-2012, 08:58 PM
DuklaNation

Hmmm, am I the only one not overly impressed with this lineup? Individually, the pieces look good, but not sure about them as a group. Especially do not like the composition of the defence.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Let's keep this thread on track please folks. Debate RNH's abilities in this tournament all you like, but within reason of the topic at hand. Thanks.

12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
cobaltseraphim*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The Oilers are an NHL team. Nugent-Hopkins is their first line centre. This makes him, by definition, a first line centre in the NHL.

If your point is that he wasn't the best first line centre in the world last year, you're absolutely right. Like any young player he has his strengths and weaknesses:

Weakness: He had a hard time winning faceoffs against guys 5-10 years older and 20-30 lbs heavier than him.

Strength: He had no problem at all outproducing, on a point per game basis (his season was shortened by injury), all but 12 of those other team's first line centres you're so sure he'd be playing behind.

If RNH isn't a real first line centre due to his team lacking depth at the position neither are the following players:

Ryan Getzlaf
Stephen Weiss
John Tavares
Jason Spezza
Spezza and Tavares are DEFINITELY 1st line centers, any team in the league would love to have a freshly signed Tavares as their 1st line center. Without Spezza on the Senators last year they are picking top 5 even with Erik "i love you" Karlsson.

You are clearly misinformed regarding OTT/NYI. i have no opinion on getzlaf/weiss. Getzlaf looked like a champ in the SCF vs ottawa 4(?) years ago

Old
12-15-2012, 10:51 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
I'm saying he's the #1 centre on the Oilers, but hasn't proven himself to be a legit #1 centre in the league. Much like Jonathan Toews was Chicago's #1 centre following his rookie season, but hadn't yet proven himself to be in the same class as other top centremen in the NHL.
Just give up bud. I know what you are trying to say, but Oil fans are going to take it as an attack on their player(even though that isn't your intent). Just not worth the argument, IMO.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:14 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Just give up bud. I know what you are trying to say, but Oil fans are going to take it as an attack on their player(even though that isn't your intent). Just not worth the argument, IMO.
Yeah, I got that a while ago.. I think I made a good enough argument, and I knew Oiler fans would jump on it, unfortunately. It's not an indictment on RNH's skill/talent/potential, I think he's going to be an excellent player and he's well on his way.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:30 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

RNH just made me hate this thread, and this thread just made me hate RNH..

Old
12-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
RNH just made me hate this thread, and this thread just made me hate RNH..

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Yes, I honestly do feel like RNH will put up one of the most dominating performances in WJC history, not a stretch to say or truly believe that.
I believe the Canadian record is 18 points, shared by Schenn and McCourt. It's too bad Schenn got injured with a separated shoulder in the quarterfinal game. He only managed three points those last three games.

Most of the scoring leaders over the past 17 years of medal round format have been between 10 and 13 points. Schenn, Hodgson and Tavares exceeded that by a small amount.

When Forsberg put up 31 points, he had a 10 point game against Japan. RNH won't see Japan. The round robin tournament back then saw every team play each other. Some of the hockey nations we have today were not very good back then.

This is a lockout year with deeper than usual talent on the top six teams. Canada has an opportunity to run up the score on Germany and Slovakia in their pool. With Germany in the past employing a five man walled trap across their blue line, don't expect a huge blow out. Then we play two tough teams in Russia and USA. After that we will likely only be playing against top 4 teams in the tournament. It isn't the same as beating up Japan, now is it?

If RNH does average 4 points a game, it will only be because he had a Forsberg like game against one of those two weaker teams in our pool. I just don't see it happening, but if it does, I'd be thrilled. Canada pretty much has never had a first overall forward, especially with a NHL year under their belt, play in this tournament at 19.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:05 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

While it won't have a huge effect, I don't think he should've been the captain. Neither should Huberdeau be an assistant. NHL experience is good but experience playing in the WJC is more important with regards to leading the team. Jenner oozes leadership and should've been captain, RNH assistant and Harrington as is.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:35 AM
bruinsfan46

I just don't get the general infatuation HF Boards has with captaincy, their freaking letters on the jersey which allow players to talk to refs more. That's it (as far as I know)!! Be glad we get to have a player of RNH's calibre lacing them up for Team Canada at the World Juniors, literally the only positive of the Lockout I can think of.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:38 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I just don't get the general infatuation HF Boards has with captaincy, their freaking letters on the jersey which allow players to talk to refs more. That's it (as far as I know)!! Be glad we get to have a player of RNH's calibre lacing them up for Team Canada at the World Juniors, literally the only positive of the Lockout I can think of.
Like I said, the effect won't be huge but it's the right thing to do imo.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:22 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Not a stretch? Kevin Lowe and Oiler fans have been telling us about their world class young guns for more than ten years now. RNH is the first one that I think has a shot. I hope he does, but it's anything but a sure thing to be the most dominating ever.
Agreed. Once again an Oilers prospect is getting the weight of the world put on his shoulders.

Everyone needs to calm down and quit doing this.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:20 AM
P U L L H A R D

You honestly expect HC to name anyone other than the kid who went nearly a PPG in the NHL captain? He was a Calder finalist and a 1st overall pick. He played against the best competition in the world last season. You really think guys are going to look to Jenner or some other 3rd liner for direction/ guidance over the guy who has been to the show? Do not understand this logic.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:07 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
You honestly expect HC to name anyone other than the kid who went nearly a PPG in the NHL captain? He was a Calder finalist and a 1st overall pick. He played against the best competition in the world last season. You really think guys are going to look to Jenner or some other 3rd liner for direction/ guidance over the guy who has been to the show? Do not understand this logic.
Its the internet. People love to complain. Especially if they already don't like a player because he plays for someone
elses team.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm not a EDM fan but RNH might as well be considered a decent option for "legit #1C" in the NHL...
36th in ES pts/60 for C (some above him didn't/don't play C anymore; ex: KWellwood, EKane, JEberle)
He wasn't sheltered from top competition (although was pushed into the offensive zone)

He may currently be a low end 1C... but with his youth, I don't think that will stay that low.
A low end #1C?

Ok then.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I really don't see how anyone else could've been named captain. Most experience under his belt and most talented right now.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Most of the players in the locker room will rely and look up to RNH since he's an NHL player.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Beerfish

A question for you chaps who have followed team canada diligently. Goaltending.... In the little bit that I watched of the eval camp and hi-lights much like other years the the guys that got cut looked good and the guys that were retained let in bad goals. I have a sick feeling that once again this will be our achilles.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Snippit

To change the subject from saying that's not about RNH....

It looks like they're testing out a line of Drouin-Strome-Ritchie. It sounds like it's going well, and it could work out as the second line.

Potentially:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Drouin-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Lipon
Mackinnon

Closed Thread