HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

If Chara's career ends today, is he in the Hall of Fame?

View Poll Results: If Chara's career were over, would he be inducted into the Hall of Fame?
Yes 136 66.02%
No 70 33.98%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 09:03 AM
  #51
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
He'll probably be the third worst post-expansion offensive defenseman to be in the HHOF after Rod Langway and Serge Savard.

There are quite a few defensive defensemen who played before the 1967 expansion to be inducted.
I'd say Savard> Chara.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
  #52
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 643
leaning No. Might take a few years

Besides guys like Blake, Zubov, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Chelios, Housley, Lower, Nieds, Foote... he will also be competing with several guys that were 'passed over' due to the heavy star studded eligible classes from the late 90s-early 2000s. Brinad'Amour, Tkachuk, Roenick, Shanny, Fedorov, Kariya...

Just too many guys ahead of him.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
  #53
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
leaning No. Might take a few years

Besides guys like Blake, Zubov, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Chelios, Housley, Lower, Nieds, Foote... he will also be competing with several guys that were 'passed over' due to the heavy star studded eligible classes from the late 90s-early 2000s. Brinad'Amour, Tkachuk, Roenick, Shanny, Fedorov, Kariya...

Just too many guys ahead of him.
Rafalski? He's got absolutely no chance.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  #54
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Rafalski? He's got absolutely no chance.
833 games - 515 points, 3 cups

1007 games - 459 points, 1 cup and a few hardest shot trophies

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:11 PM
  #55
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
833 games - 515 points, 3 cups

1007 games - 459 points, 1 cup and a few hardest shot trophies
Rafalski was a #2 defenseman and almost exclusively paired with a HOF'ers his entire career. How is that HOF worthy?

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  #56
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
833 games - 515 points, 3 cups

1007 games - 459 points, 1 cup and a few hardest shot trophies
You've gotta be kitten me.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
  #57
Ewan McGregor
Registered User
 
Ewan McGregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 622
If people think Alfredsson is HOF-caliber, then Chara should be first ballot

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
  #58
Ivanko
Registered User
 
Ivanko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tilburg, Netherlands
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Chara was nominated for the Norris trophy 5 times. Only 12 other defensemen in the history have achieved that. It would be very hard to make an argument against his induction.

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
  #59
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I'd say Savard> Chara.
and you'd be wrong

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
  #60
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanko View Post
Chara was nominated for the Norris trophy 5 times. Only 12 other defensemen in the history have achieved that. It would be very hard to make an argument against his induction.
For me, he's only been "Chara" as we know him for 8 years.

That's not a very long career. Granted, he's been outstanding in those 8 years, but it's just not a very long career at a high level.

Are there other players who have been allowed in with that short of a career? (Serious question, I don't know the answer and maybe I'm very wrong)

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:19 AM
  #61
Reikai
Neutral fan
 
Reikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Definitely in. Besides his achievements, he's a character that has to be in. There wont be another player like Chara any time soon.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:20 AM
  #62
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
and you'd be wrong
Call me when Chara wins 7 more Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe trophy.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
  #63
Fire Dumboer
Registered User
 
Fire Dumboer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Call me when Chara wins 7 more Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe trophy.
Savard was on some of the teams in history.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:25 PM
  #64
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 4850
Absolutely.

And i'd love to attend the ceremony alongside the clowns who mocked him relentlessly when he started with the Cougars.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:10 PM
  #65
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
For me, he's only been "Chara" as we know him for 8 years.

That's not a very long career. Granted, he's been outstanding in those 8 years, but it's just not a very long career at a high level.

Are there other players who have been allowed in with that short of a career? (Serious question, I don't know the answer and maybe I'm very wrong)
He got his first Norris nomination 11 seasons ago in 02-02.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
  #66
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
833 games - 515 points, 3 cups

1007 games - 459 points, 1 cup and a few hardest shot trophies
How many Norris wins and nominations did Rafalski get?

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
  #67
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,857
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
He'll probably be the third worst post-expansion offensive defenseman to be in the HHOF after Rod Langway and Serge Savard.

There are quite a few defensive defensemen who played before the 1967 expansion to be inducted.
Yep, though the change in the role of the defenseman post-expansion certainly helps keep that number down as well.

That said, I see Chara and Rob Blake as a good comparison. Difference is that Blake was better offensively and has a longevity edge, while Chara better defensively and Chara captained a team to a cup whereas Blake was traded to an already loaded team that same season for his.

I think most would consider Blake a rather safe pick to make the hall, so I'd say the same would probably be true for Chara at this point.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
  #68
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
He got his first Norris nomination 11 seasons ago in 02-02.
No he didn't.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  #69
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
No he didn't.
oops, that should be 03-04.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:22 PM
  #70
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
For me, he's only been "Chara" as we know him for 8 years.

That's not a very long career. Granted, he's been outstanding in those 8 years, but it's just not a very long career at a high level.

Are there other players who have been allowed in with that short of a career? (Serious question, I don't know the answer and maybe I'm very wrong)
Scott Niedermayer was only an outstanding (rather than merely great) player from 2002 to 2007 or so. Most people seem to think he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, so why not Chara?

Hammer Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:58 AM
  #71
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Scott Niedermayer was only an outstanding (rather than merely great) player from 2002 to 2007 or so. Most people seem to think he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, so why not Chara?
His real prime was actually even smaller than that if we're discussing when he started getting real number 1 minutes.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
  #72
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,936
vCash: 500
Chara has a significantly better Norris record than either Scott Niedermayer or Rob Blake.

Blake

97-98: 1st
99-00: 3rd

00-01: 4th
01-02: 3rd
02-03: 5th
03-04: 8th

Niedermayer

97-98: 5th
98-99: 12th
03-04: 1st
05-06: 2nd
06-07: 2nd

07-08: 10th
08-09: 9th

Chara

02-03: 7th
03-04: 2nd
05-06: 4th
07-08: 3rd
08-09: 1st

09-10: 8th
10-11: 3rd
11-12: 3rd

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:54 AM
  #73
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
oops, that should be 03-04.
Right, so 8 seasons.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:55 AM
  #74
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Scott Niedermayer was only an outstanding (rather than merely great) player from 2002 to 2007 or so. Most people seem to think he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, so why not Chara?
Good question, as I said, I'm not a big "hall of fame knowledge" guy, I knew there were players I was overlooking.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:06 AM
  #75
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,978
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Chara has a significantly better Norris record than either Scott Niedermayer or Rob Blake.

Blake

97-98: 1st
99-00: 3rd

00-01: 4th
01-02: 3rd
02-03: 5th
03-04: 8th

Niedermayer

97-98: 5th
98-99: 12th
03-04: 1st
05-06: 2nd
06-07: 2nd

07-08: 10th
08-09: 9th

Chara

02-03: 7th
03-04: 2nd
05-06: 4th
07-08: 3rd
08-09: 1st

09-10: 8th
10-11: 3rd
11-12: 3rd
yeah, average of 4 for Blake, 5.86 for Niedermayer, and 3.88 for Chara, but Niedermayer makes up for it in terms of awards: 4 stanley cups and two olympic golds

but to go back to my answer yes he'll get in

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.