HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Prospect Stats and Discussion: 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Holy hell Pelss, that's crazy...

Can he still play in the AHL despite his ECHL suspension?

Old
12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Odd that something like this happened on the 1st and we are just hearing about it now.
Dec 2
http://www.examiner.com/article/shoo...-to-four-games
Quote:
The game included a first-period delay of several minutes after Bakersfield’s Olivier Dame-Malka was injured and had to leave the game on a stretcher. Dame-Malka did not return to the game and reportedly was being treated for a concussion at a local hospital.
Dec 5
http://www.examiner.com/article/shoo...-to-four-games
Quote:
Pelss is expected to be hit with a suspension for swinging his stick and striking Bakersfield’s Olivier Dame-Malka in the head during Saturday’s game. The league is expected to announce a ruling regarding Pelss sometime on Wednesday.
Agreed. Weird that they mention the injury but not how it happened on the 2nd.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I wonder wtf exactly happened ?
Completely out of character for Pelss.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

He pulled a McSorley? Not cool.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:57 PM
awesomo
HARD!

cool. thats toughness for ya

Old
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
A guy like Nick Bjugstad had 20 points in 29 games his freshman year, Stepan had 33 in 40. To expect such a project to be achieving point-per-game totals is a little bit of a high expectations.
Stepan did that while being the top scorer on his Wisconsin team. He's also a totally different breed of player. He's more of a smaller, quicker, skill-type player.

Bjugstand is a decent comparison though. At 6'4 and a power forward's build, he also came from a relatively unimpressive pre-draft league (Minnesota high school league of some sort, vs BCHL for Khaira). He also was a #5-6 scorer amongst the forwards on his team, and put up Khaira like point/game numbers as a rookie.

To be honest though, Bjugstad is a bit of a different player. He's been lauded more for his hockey sense, defensive play, and his shooting.

Khaira is more of a physical player with decent hands and playmaking ability.

You make a great point though with that comparison, it'll be interesting to follow Khaira's outputs offensively and developments defensively and compare it to Bjugstad, a prospect the Panthers are really high on to be the #2C behind Huberdeau in the future.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Khaira with a facemask penalty. I didn't know they called those in NCAA hockey. He did it on Jake McCabe. There's a picture around, on the phone I'll link it later.

I dunno why I felt this was news worthy.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:51 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Khaira with a facemask penalty. I didn't know they called those in NCAA hockey. He did it on Jake McCabe. There's a picture around, on the phone I'll link it later.

I dunno why I felt this was news worthy.
I still find it strange that NCAA players have to wear the full cage.

But speaking of Khaira, Corey Pronman has been tweeting about him tonight.
Quote:
‏@coreypronman
On first look at #Oilers Khaira: Power forward with some talent too. Plays with energy and is a good net front forward. Has off ability.....
@coreypronman
As he can play off the rush, show decent hands and displays good offensive awareness moving the puck and finding openings.
@coreypronman
His defense is decent, but could use a little fine tuning. His biggest need is his frame as he's pretty slight. Rush creativity just ok too.

And then this doozy:
@coreypronman
Either Howie Morenz or Rick DiPietro RT @bakes_19: @coreypronman Khaira's NHL player comparison?

Old
12-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Oilers4life1987

So I'm guessing that Khraira is being set to be a C instead of a winger? Which is more suited to his game and what most benefits the Oilers needs. I honestly would prefer him on the dot as I think LW is pretty much loaded with good/decent prospects with good enough potential. In MY personal order would be: Hartikainen, PRV,Hamilton,Zharkov,Pelss, Cornet,

Old
12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
So I'm guessing that Khraira is being set to be a C instead of a winger? Which is more suited to his game and what most benefits the Oilers needs. I honestly would prefer him on the dot as I think LW is pretty much loaded with good/decent prospects with good enough potential. In MY personal order would be: Hartikainen, PRV,Hamilton,Zharkov,Pelss, Cornet,
Taylor Hall doesn't make the cut? Or, if you're only talking prospects, PRV shouldn't be on the list either, since he's got as many NHL games as Hall.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Taylor Hall doesn't make the cut? Or, if you're only talking prospects, PRV shouldn't be on the list either, since he's got as many NHL games as Hall.
Well the difference is taylor hall is already an nhl player. PRV in my opinion is nowhere near where he needs to be to be an NHL player despite the number of nhl games he has played.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:53 AM
rockinghockey

I think PRV will settle in a a good 3rd line LW that will chip in about 30 points and be very good defensively and of the PK, I am ok with that. I would be happy with Harti in the top 6 only because of the way that he plays, he will add in a bit of nasty to the top 6 as that is what we need. Pitlick will also be a good 3rd line player, that adds some size to our team. We still need that 2C with size though, I do like Gagner's offense that he brings but we need more size. I am hoping we fix that at the next draft.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:34 PM
topchowda

Laleggia keeps on rollin. Another goal tonight
Khaira also with 1g

Old
12-10-2012, 06:32 PM
40oz

Quote:
Eric Rodgers ‏@AHLBarons
Per Todd Nelson: Pelss will only practice with the #OKCBarons and will still serve his ECHL suspension. #Oilers
Good to see he'll be keeping busy

Old
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Usual_Suspect

Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack)
Kristians Pelss not eligible to play AHL game until Jan. 11. Hit was more than 100 feet behind play--precious few actually saw it live.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Usual_Suspect

AHL Communications (@AHLPR)
Any player under suspension in another league is ineligible to play in @TheAHL pending a review by the #AHL president.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Tuohimaa started the game against Kärpät last Friday but he was pulled after two periods after allowing 4 goals, some of them softies. Highlights of the game:

Old
12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Tuohimaa started the game against Kärpät last Friday but he was pulled after two periods after allowing 4 goals, some of them softies. Highlights of the game:

Tuohimaa? More like WHO-ohimaa, AMIRITE?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. The kid is pretty far off the radar these days. I'm more interested in how Bunz is playing. His stats aren't good, but I don't know how much of that is him and how much is the team in front of him. Has anyone managed to get eyes on Thunder games?

Old
12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Tuohimaa? More like WHO-ohimaa, AMIRITE?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. The kid is pretty far off the radar these days. I'm more interested in how Bunz is playing. His stats aren't good, but I don't know how much of that is him and how much is the team in front of him. Has anyone managed to get eyes on Thunder games?
Lol thats because he is playing in europe and you aren't reading the updates on him in this thread. By contrast, we hear nothing about perhonen.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Lol thats because he is playing in europe and you aren't reading the updates on him in this thread. By contrast, we hear nothing about perhonen.
Perhonen is still playing a combo of Finnish second league and Finnish Jr. A, and is not putting great stats... I doubt he gets signed by the Oilers, but who knows what happens.

Tuohimaa at least has two seasons of eating minutes at the SM-Liiga and good amount of playing down in the Finnish second league.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Laleggia with an assist on his teams only goal in a loss. Khaira also had an assist on his teams lone goal in a loss.

12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
OilFury

i like Tuohimaa's chances a lot more a goalie letting in some softies is easy to fix.

his numbers have been good over the last few years,more likely to turn out than perhonen at this point

Old
12-16-2012, 12:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFury View Post
i like Tuohimaa's chances a lot more a goalie letting in some softies is easy to fix.

his numbers have been good over the last few years,more likely to turn out than perhonen at this point
Goes to show what a crapshoot goalies are when our 7th rounder is looking better than our 3rd rounder

Old
12-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Baggie

Perhonen was cut off from the finnish WJC roster, which is not flattering especially because the competition for the spot isn't as high this year as in previous years.

edit: apparently cut due injury

Last edited by Baggie: 12-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggie View Post
Perhonen was cut off from the finnish WJC roster, which is not flattering especially because the competition for the spot isn't as high this year as in previous years.
Someone in the Finland thread on the WJC forum said he was released because of an injury.

Closed Thread