HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
12-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Sure that's exactly what I meant.

The point of the matter is that people are going to be disappointed.

I like the guy and think it was the best long term off season move the Oilers made, even more important than Yakapov, but the NHL is still a lot different than the AHL and often people forget that on HF boards.
Because it's facetious logic.

If anything, he's already been tested out on his pressure due to the media gongshow they made out of him. He is fine, he's been the best player on his team at every level and will continue to do so in the NHL. He is an elite player who will be the best of the Oilers 'fab 5'.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I assume you mean a 0.60 ppg average? That would be 49 points over 82 games. I could see him flirting with those numbers as a rookie in a full season with the Oilers. The 30 point projections for his rookie season (assuming a full season) are laughable.
Yes I forgot the decimal point and agree that the 30 point projections were a bit of a joke, or if one wants to be charitable conservative to say the least, given

1) his age and development in the NCAA
2) Hi role and almost guaranteed PP spot for the Oilers given Ryan Whitney's health problems.

But we must also remember that only 7 Dmen last year had 49 points or more as well.

I think at this stage he will be closer to the 49 point pace than the 30 one if the season ever starts.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

If anything, he's already been tested out on his pressure due to the media gongshow they made out of him. He is fine, he's been the best player on his team at every level and will continue to do so in the NHL. He is an elite player who will be the best of the Oilers 'fab 5'.
He is an elite player at the AHL level, we don't know how that will translate to the NHL yet and if you want to suggest hat he is "better" than RNH, Eberle or even Hall at this point feel free just don't expect many to agree with that statement in NHL terms.

This is exactly what I meant about the hype machine though.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

"He is an elite player"

"He is an elite player"

"He is an elite player"

LOL please. ****er hasn't even stepped foot on NHL ice and he's already being called an "elite" player.

****ing lol.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

He is an elite offensive talent, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, it doesn't change the fact that he is.

12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
He is an elite offensive talent, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, it doesn't change the fact that he is.
At the AHL/College level.

Lets see him do it in the NHL before we anoint him the second coming.

Because that SH% sure as hell won't be translating.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

He not has an unsustainable shooting % but he also has an unsustainable assist % since Eberle has had a ridiculously unsustainable shooting % since he turned pro. So in reality, Schultz and Eberle and not 2 elite offensive talents leading the next highest scorer in the AHL by 9 points, but they're both lucky hacks; and their unbelievable luck is just another one of the signs of the end of the world in 5 days.

If the world doesn't end in 5 days, I expect them to tear up their contracts with the Oilers and go to another team where they will put up a respectable and not lucky shooting %, while enjoying warm weather and a media free lifestyle.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:

Yeah so if his shooting % drops to 10% I guess his assists will plummet as well..... No one is calling him the second coming, but to turn your nose up at him and not give credit where it's due right now doesn't change the fact that the kid is the real deal.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
He not has an unsustainable shooting % but he also has an unsustainable assist % since Eberle has had a ridiculously unsustainable shooting % since he turned pro. So in reality, Schultz and Eberle and not 2 elite offensive talents leading the next highest scorer in the AHL by 9 points, but they're both lucky hacks; and their unbelievable luck is just another one of the signs of the end of the world in 5 days.

If the world doesn't end in 5 days, I expect them to tear up their contracts with the Oilers and go to another team where they will put up a respectable and not lucky shooting %, while enjoying warm weather and a media free lifestyle.
I support this message

While I don't expect him to shoot 18% in the NHL, I don't see why he couldn't shoot 10-12% especially on our potential PP.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:01 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:

Anyone who's watched him play knows that his offensive skill will have no trouble translating to the NHL.

But, of course, you haven't seen him play.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:03 AM
OilFury

kids the real deal, i felt the same way about hall and rnh coming into the nhl from minors... i feel the same way about yak..

if you watch him play you can see there will be no problem at all. i cant wait till i can constantly laugh at all the doubters all NHL season long

OilFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFury View Post
kids the real deal, i felt the same way about hall and rnh coming into the nhl from minors... i feel the same way about yak..

if you watch him play you can see there will be no problem at all. i cant wait till i can constantly laugh at all the doubters all NHL season long
Have u watched him play? Hard to find ahl games.

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Anyone who's watched him play knows that his offensive skill will have no trouble translating to the NHL.

But, of course, you haven't seen him play.
Fans base everything on stats and comparisons to other players. Then they give their expert opinion.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Of course not. AHL goalies probably aren't even .900 in the NHL. Consider that the reasons for SH% to regress aren't just "lol it does" but are things like teams removing subpar shooters/goalies from the league and replacing them with better ones. If this were a real AHL season they would be called up by now and they'd be facing competition more their level.

If you were to put 2011-12 Stamkos in the NHL in 1985 his SH% would be immense. Similar idea with two NHL caliber offensive players in the AHL, although on a smaller scale.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
OilFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
yes ive seen some of his college play, and i have watch every baron game this year except the few that didnt have streams

use firstrow.eu or atdhenet.tv they have every ahl game

yes in general will be up vs top notch goalies in the nhl but he is so good at getting the puck to the net will be good for tip ins or if the goalie is screened well into the net.. but when he rolls into the slot and lets off his deadly accurate wrist shot even nhl goalies will have problems...

some of these AHL goalies play at NHL level maybe just not every night but ive seen the kids get robbed a lot this year

the thing about shooting % is it depends on the player, eberle only takes good chance shots or else he will try and make a play

schultz isnt just firing one timer after one timer at the net, he only lets one go from the point if he thinks the goalie is well screened or someone infront of the net looks open for a nice tip in/rebound

Old
12-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Kegs

Quote:
yes ive seen some of his college play, and i have watch every baron game this year except the few that didnt have streams

use firstrow.eu or atdhenet.tv they have every ahl game

yes in general will be up vs top notch goalies in the nhl but he is so good at getting the puck to the net will be good for tip ins or if the goalie is screened well into the net.. but when he rolls into the slot and lets off his deadly accurate wrist shot even nhl goalies will have problems...

some of these AHL goalies play at NHL level maybe just not every night but ive seen the kids get robbed a lot this year

the thing about shooting % is it depends on the player, eberle only takes good chance shots or else he will try and make a play

schultz isnt just firing one timer after one timer at the net, he only lets one go from the point if he thinks the goalie is well screened or someone infront of the net looks open for a nice tip in/rebound

It's an exciting time to be an oiler fan. I'm not an oilers fan but in my opinion this team gets better every year. I think they purposely have bad defence and unproven goalies. It's all about stacking up top prospects.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
OilFury

Quote:
It's an exciting time to be an oiler fan. I'm not an oilers fan but in my opinion this team gets better every year. I think they purposely have bad defence and unproven goalies. It's all about stacking up top prospects.
it is very exciting and i wouldnt of wanted the rebuild to go any other way, adding in yak to the team was huge.. and getting schultz was such a blessing, those are 2 pieces that IMO make this a team fighting for a playoff spot regardless if we have another injury crazy season on D or not so great goaltending

its been a rough few years but when this team is a top team for years it will be all worth it. and as much as it isnt fun to watch your team lose year after year i enjoy watching the kids play no matter what

will be an interesting next year or 2 of hockey quite a few teams that will rise and fall. a lot of teams with some pretty good prospects that are NHL ready and could make quite an impact on their teams

Old
12-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I don't think I can even get a dman to produce that well in NHL 13.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Kegs

Quote:
it is very exciting and i wouldnt of wanted the rebuild to go any other way, adding in yak to the team was huge.. and getting schultz was such a blessing, those are 2 pieces that IMO make this a team fighting for a playoff spot regardless if we have another injury crazy season on D or not so great goaltending

its been a rough few years but when this team is a top team for years it will be all worth it. and as much as it isnt fun to watch your team lose year after year i enjoy watching the kids play no matter what

will be an interesting next year or 2 of hockey quite a few teams that will rise and fall. a lot of teams with some pretty good prospects that are NHL ready and could make quite an impact on their teams
They will certainly know how to score. Just add some shut down d men.

Oh and a goalie

Old
12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
No it isnt.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
I support this message

While I don't expect him to shoot 18% in the NHL, I don't see why he couldn't shoot 10-12% especially on our potential PP.
So you see no reason he can't walk in as a rooking and have a top 5 shooting % among dmen?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
I support this message

Once again you do realize that only 1 Dman shot over 10% in the NHL last year right?

All players regress to the norm, he is a great prospect and is off to a great start in the AHL but man you are just feeding an unrealistic hype machine here and it's not supported by actual NHL facts, in fact the hype ignores the reality of the NHL.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Once again you do realize that only 1 Dman shot over 10% in the NHL last year right?

All players regress to the norm, he is a great prospect and is off to a great start in the AHL but man you are just feeding an unrealistic hype machine here and it's not supported by actual NHL facts, in fact the hype ignores the reality of the NHL.
Bravo.

Just highly unrealistic expectations from Oilers fans regarding Schultz.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:00 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:

nhl.com does not support this statement, 16 d-men over 10% shooting, with 8 of those having played more then 42 games last yr

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Eberle was bound to take the lead in scoring...he's an NHLer playing in the AHL!! What do you expect!!?

It just goes to show you how raw and unproven Schultz is...and also that Ryan Murray is probably better.

Also, Eberle's shooting percentage is unsustainable.

Also, I'd take Sequin.
Haha, funny post.

Regarding the unsustainable shooting percentages...they're both running hot AND have the talent to score often. It's not like they're just getting lucky. You only get a shooting % that high for this long when you have elite skills around the front of the net. Eberle is honestly top 5 in the league (NHL) for putting pucks that are sitting out in front into the net

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote