HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Gotta disagree on two counts here:

1. If you hurt a star player and no penalty is called, you have to answer the bell. Especially if you're a legit scrapper. If Bowen or Bilcke did what Thomson did last night, I'd be disappointed.

2. I've watched four of Thomson's fights this season. Other than Bowen, which one wasn't he given a shot at? The one off the draw, the one in Erie where they squared-off, or the one with Gemel Smith where he wanted Smith and had to be held back by the officials?
For one, who did Thomson hurt? I don't believe it was him who hit Sieloff was it? He just taunted him. I thought Alberga made the hit.

Second, he's had four fights, and Bowen's and last night's were the two he was in before he knew it. I agree the Sabourin and Crisp ones were more mutual - although, the Crisp was a non-fight. I'm just saying he has been red-lighted most of the year. I don't like that and don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the reality. Spott will not let him fight the straight tough guys. I have that on good authority. Team doesn't like the trade.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
For one, who did Thomson hurt? I don't believe it was him who hit Sieloff was it? He just taunted him. I thought Alberga made the hit.
I thought Thomson made the hit? (happened very fast) That's what I've been basing this on the entire time.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
I thought Thomson made the hit? (happened very fast) That's what I've been basing this on the entire time.

I could be mistaken too. But I was fairly certain it was Alberga. Perhaps someone can verify.

Either way, it's moot. Yes, if you're a tough guy and you make a dirty play on a skilled player, you should back it up.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I could be mistaken too. But I was fairly certain it was Alberga. Perhaps someone can verify.

Either way, it's moot. Yes, if you're a tough guy and you make a dirty play on a skilled player, you should back it up.
Like I noted earlier it was Alberga and IMHO it wasn't even that bad of hit.
Even if it was it can be considered payback for that interference hit by Sieloff on Meighan when the puck wasn't even close to Meighan.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 12-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Ottomatic

Sieloff has answered every challenge after legit clean hits this year - go look at his fight card and then see how many instigators are against the other guy.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
aresknights

Tough to turn down a fight if ur instgated upon, unless you turtle, which is outta character for a lot of guys. Its not accepting a challenge , its defending urself.
Im sure if a Spit jumped him and started throwing Thompson woulda answered. Just MO.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Tough to turn down a fight if ur instgated upon, unless you turtle, which is outta character for a lot of guys. Its not accepting a challenge , its defending urself.
Im sure if a Spit jumped him and started throwing Thompson woulda answered. Just MO.
He didn't last game when Bowen got the instigator against him.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
hockeylegend11

Well here"s hoping the Spits bounce back from a lacklustre game against the Rangers starting tonite at Sagnasty
A win tonite and Plymouth loss at Barrie will vault the Spits into 6th tied with the Whalers
Talk about a team thats needs a shakeup,better yet a blowup,winless in 6,only 3 wins in their last 10,some think Windsor has problems and there are some but Plymouth,whew,they blew it last when they stood pat,what now
not good enough to hang with the big boys,oldest team in the conference,prospects are bleaker next yr,but hey I digress
Spits have a chance to start the post xmas break on a high rather then losing the next 2 games
If the Spits take 3 or 4 pts this I am satisfied,make some moves after the break and see what happens

Old
12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
A win tonite and Plymouth loss at Barrie will vault the Spits into 6th tied with the Whalers
Talk about a team thats needs a shakeup,better yet a blowup,winless in 6,only 3 wins in their last 10,some think Windsor has problems and there are some but Plymouth,whew,they blew it last when they stood pat,what now
not good enough to hang with the big boys,oldest team in the conference,prospects are bleaker next yr,but hey I digress
The Whalers are consistent year in and year out playing around .580 hockey. Just last season they had a spike and played around .700 putting high expectations on this returning group. Given those expectations with a weak division and where they are at, at the half way mark. They are the biggest underachievers in the league. But historically Plymouth is doing what they do every year. .580 hockey and will get knocked out in the first or second round.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The Whalers are consistent year in and year out playing around .580 hockey. Just last season they had a spike and played around .700 putting high expectations on this returning group. Given those expectations with a weak division and where they are at, at the half way mark. They are the biggest underachievers in the league. But historically Plymouth is doing what they do every year. .580 hockey and will get knocked out in the first or second round.
Good pts made,I do think they are overated

Old
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Spitsfan67*

Any body have a guess at how long the express are going to last in windsor....I said before 2 years, but with 300 fans total last night which is probably generous they probably had below 300, this is not working out... Windsor is a hockey city and so is the rest of canada, I really don't think this league will last to much longer.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Spitsfan67*

Should be an interesting game with Murphy out with an elbow injury and Sanvido feeling ill along with Dekort in net. Paterson is with team canada so There Russian Netminder will get the nod tonight, I think it will be a run and gun kind of game with a lot of goals and I think it will be physical, Spits need this win and so does the Spirit, I'm going to say 7-5 but I'm not going to pick a winner.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits road woes continue as they absorb a 6-3 loss at Saginaw
Dekort and company had a tough 1st period,DeKort pulled for the 1st time
this season midway thru the 1st as Saginaw took a 3-1 lead
Spits played better the last 2 periods HoSang particularly,as well as Pavelka
It got thin on the back end as Murphy and Sanvido missed the game due to elbow
and flu ailments
During the game Spits lost M.Clarke and Nick Ebert to injury,and near the end of the game
Emerson Clark fought his way into the Saginaw bench and earned a game misc with probably a suspension to boot
Too bad as he had a goal and an assist on the nite
Going into the final game prior to the break,Spts might dress just 17 or 18 players including the goalies due to injury,suspension and illness
Will be in tough against a rested and healthy SSM team Sunday nite
One good thing at least the Whalers lost again at Barrie,they are now winless in 7
Regardless after tomorrow nite spits either will be in 6th if they win, or eighth if they lose

Old
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
OHLTG

Toss loss tonight. A couple early Sag goals set the tone and, try as they might, the Spits just couldn't catch up.

Highlight of the night might have been something that came so close, yet so far...Pavelka and whoever the Sag goalie was. The scrum at the Sag bench had everyone but the goalies involved with that. Pavelka skated out to center, slammed his stick on the ice, motioned for the goalie to come to him, and did everything he could except charge after him for a fight. So very close, yet still 90 feet away. The Sag goalie was kneeling in his net and didn't even blink the entire time. He's their back-up so not surprised he didn't go.

Sounds like Clarke's shoulder is messed up again. No idea on severity. Ebert left the game with a leg injury, too. Sanvido has the flu. Could be a rather short lineup tomorrow in SSM.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Toss loss tonight. A couple early Sag goals set the tone and, try as they might, the Spits just couldn't catch up.

Highlight of the night might have been something that came so close, yet so far...Pavelka and whoever the Sag goalie was. The scrum at the Sag bench had everyone but the goalies involved with that. Pavelka skated out to center, slammed his stick on the ice, motioned for the goalie to come to him, and did everything he could except charge after him for a fight. So very close, yet still 90 feet away. The Sag goalie was kneeling in his net and didn't even blink the entire time. He's their back-up so not surprised he didn't go.

Sounds like Clarke's shoulder is messed up again. No idea on severity. Ebert left the game with a leg injury, too. Sanvido has the flu. Could be a rather short lineup tomorrow in SSM.
I'd like to see Graeme Brown play today. He took warmup yesterday but didn't play. Tough lineup we got today. I actually wanted Serebrykov to fight Pav, I thoughy that would be exciting to see. And besides, both havent gotten a single fightin major this year, so not even close to the 10 max.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Spitsfan67*

This one was all on the coaching staff, why would you start your backup in the biggest game of the year to date, it's mind blowing.... I would of rather started Dekort against Kitchener but not against a team thats 3 points behind us and we have Sanvido and Murphy out I mean what a head shaker....hopefully they lose the next three games and maybe something will click in to Warren that there had to be a trade.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
This one was all on the coaching staff, why would you start your backup in the biggest game of the year to date, it's mind blowing.... I would of rather started Dekort against Kitchener but not against a team thats 3 points behind us and we have Sanvido and Murphy out I mean what a head shaker....hopefully they lose the next three games and maybe something will click in to Warren that there had to be a trade.
IMHO If you had to start DeKort against either Saginaw or SSM they picked the right spot. Before yesterdays game Saginaw appeared to be the easier opponent as SSM is on a roll with the new coach.
With the injuries/illness of some players they will be in tough unless Pavelka has an A+ game today and I hate to say this but so far Pavelka hasn't had a real stinker of a game and he's due for one. ( you might just see DeKort in to relieve Pavelka if it turns ugly)

But hey as I often say this is the OHL and often when you expect a blowout just the opposite happens.

The Xmas trade freeze starts Dec 20th so WR, if he is so inclined, could jump the gun and make a deal in the next couple of days. Again IMHO the Spits are wasting time. How many other teams have an open overage slot and an open Import slot? Maybe if we used all the slots available we'd be in a better position than we are now. At least as someone suggested we could bring in an O/A and see how he works out in a few games before the trade deadline.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Who the starting goalie was the least of their concerns, they were down 5-1 and never had a prayer. Fact is and nobody can really say to the contrary but there is not 100% buy in from these kids. There are no penalties for poor play, or undisciplined play you're put right back on the ice. Very little accountability with this team a stark contrast to the days when they were successful.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Who the starting goalie was the least of their concerns, they were down 5-1 and never had a prayer. Fact is and nobody can really say to the contrary but there is not 100% buy in from these kids. There are no penalties for poor play, or undisciplined play you're put right back on the ice. Very little accountability with this team a stark contrast to the days when they were successful.
I agree on all accounts. The goaltending is not a problem with this team. As things go along here I'm starting to put more blame on the coaching. Some of the in game management has been poor, bad line combinations, weak match ups that have cost timely goals against even at home with the last change. The team isn't ready to play half the time. The players have to take some of the blame for that but as Rayzor has pointed out they are not held accountable. Which is stark contrast to what made the Spitfires the Spitfires.

I remember Boughner saying he felt he might have been too hard on the last group and not patient enough. That group turned into champions. This current approach isn't cutting it. It could be that I could have coached those players to back to back championships or Boughner needs to push these kids beyond what they think they are capable of. And letting Kerby float around isn't doing the kid any favours.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Section103

Some main problems I see with the Spits (obviously there are many). These are things that frustrate me when watching them.

1. First pass is absolutely abysmal (linked to giveaways)
2. Nobody in front of the opposing net (we need more "garbage goals", not the perfect play).
3. Power play (although better in some recent games) just sucks. You can't even tell they have the man advantage.
4. Bad decision making all around

Now when I look at these issues (besides #4), I can't help but wonder -- is it more of a coaching problem?

Everyone is ragging on the players, but I'm starting to wonder if coaching is becoming the real issue.

That's probably the unpopular opinion around here, but it's my $0.02

I don't have the inside information most of you do. This is just coming from my observations as a STH and fan who used to play at a semi-high level, as well as coach.

Last edited by Section103: 12-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Spitsfan67*

I think it's going to be a really chippy game it's the last one before the break...I think will see 4+ Fights tonight and a lot of chirpping, I'm no going to lie I'm not feelin like the spots will come out on top tonight...I really think Pavelka will be the only reason it is close I'm going to say 6-3 Soo.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think it's going to be a really chippy game it's the last one before the break...I think will see 4+ Fights tonight and a lot of chirpping, I'm no going to lie I'm not feelin like the spots will come out on top tonight...I really think Pavelka will be the only reason it is close I'm going to say 6-3 Soo.
Not sure that will be case re the fights and all as the spits expected to dress 1 -3 players under the limit
Seiloff wont play,I doubt MClarke plays,question marks re Ebert and E.Clark,Ebert injured maybe,EClark suspension possible,dont think Sanvido made the trip,Murphy wont play,Graehame Brown probably will
Pavelka should get the start
The one thing i dont like is Pavelka gets tagged with the loss when he came in for DeKort with the spits losing 3-1,because the spits scored 2 more times the incoming goalie gets the loss unlike baseball if spits had tied the game then its different,dumb rule.Spirit were leading 5-1 before spits got back in the game
Spits remaining players especially Rychel and Vail need to empty the tanks tonite to make up any roster shortages,hounds are ready for bear

Old
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Clarke, Sieloff, Clark and Murphy all out of the lineu. Time for people to step up.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Spits down 3-1 right now, poor discipline and 2 PP goals for the Hounds. Time for sweeping changes, it shouldn't matter who gets dealt. Franchise needs to get back to basics.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Some main problems I see with the Spits (obviously there are many). These are things that frustrate me when watching them.

1. First pass is absolutely abysmal (linked to giveaways)
2. Nobody in front of the opposing net (we need more "garbage goals", not the perfect play).
3. Power play (although better in some recent games) just sucks. You can't even tell they have the man advantage.
4. Bad decision making all around

Now when I look at these issues (besides #4), I can't help but wonder -- is it more of a coaching problem?

Everyone is ragging on the players, but I'm starting to wonder if coaching is becoming the real issue.

That's probably the unpopular opinion around here, but it's my $0.02

I don't have the inside information most of you do. This is just coming from my observations as a STH and fan who used to play at a semi-high level, as well as coach.

I have to agree with you sec103.something is missing in the coaching as were making the same mistakes over and over.

We dont know how to properly come out of our own end,PP is in disarray,watched what kitts did with Czinder on their PP, they stuck the big body in front of the net.Something i used to yell about when Czinder was with us to no avail.,Backhands are weak and not used even when we have open net, guys are spinning around,practice this stuff and get the kids with more power with these simple fundamentals.Coaching is lazy IMO.

Watched the livestream fromSaginaw and DeKort isnt ready yet for a regular rotation which is diappointing.but the guys played with no intensity.

I would dismiss Matsos and quit with the friendship BS and get a experienced knowledgeable guy to be an assistant.Just showing losing DJ was huge.

Lets start Reloaded2 and get some picks and some character guys that will play Spitfire hockey.Lets build out from Verbeek,Graeme,Sanvido,Ho Sang,DeKort,Kuchmey,Brown,Seiloff etc.

I will be glad when Kerby's time is up with us.Im not blaming him but I never saw a team that didnt have prob. when the coach/GM kid is on the team.The atmosphere is never good.

To me Vail and Johnson are prime to be dealt for some good assets at the deadline.No one is safe except our rookies to build from.

And we have to state what makes a player for Spitfire Hockey and only draft that way.I believe that OS will pay big for a Vail type to be able to compete with London in the div. final.I hope we dont make the playoffs, will do us no good.

Closed Thread