HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Price to Toronto

Old
12-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well, that just won't do, sorry.
Well, obviously Montreal doesn't have to trade him, so it would require overpayment. But that doesn't necessarily mean teams will be lining up to give up that kind of value.

Something around Kessel, maybe Kessel + Finn/Kadri, might also be good value, but it's hard to gauge what direction Montreal would be going in if they traded Price.

There's no real precedent to draw upon for comparable value as to what Price would return. But I can't see anyone giving up:
-2 potential top pairing defensemen
-1st in a deep draft
-a young top-6 forward
- 2 pieces likely worth a late first each

for a goaltender and a cap dump, no matter how good the goaltender is.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:23 PM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well, obviously Montreal doesn't have to trade him, so it would require overpayment. But that doesn't necessarily mean teams will be lining up to give up that kind of value.

Something around Kessel, maybe Kessel + Finn/Kadri, might also be good value, but it's hard to gauge what direction Montreal would be going in if they traded Price.

There's no real precedent to draw upon for comparable value as to what Price would return. But I can't see anyone giving up:
-2 potential top pairing defensemen
-1st in a deep draft
-a young top-6 forward
- 2 pieces likely worth a late first each

for a goaltender and a cap dump, no matter how good the goaltender is.
If teams aren't willing to give the value we are looking for (read: overpayment) then we keep him even if the ship is sunk and beneath the ocean. Especially to a team like Toronto.

I will say this though, I like the Kessel+ but not Finn or Kadri. It would probably have to be a draft pick, since they won't give up Rielly in that deal. That draft pick would have to be a first with the condition that it's top 15 in next year's draft or we get a second as well.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
If teams aren't willing to give the value we are looking for (read: overpayment) then we keep him even if the ship is sunk and beneath the ocean. Especially to a team like Toronto.

I will say this though, I like the Kessel+ but not Finn or Kadri. It would probably have to be a draft pick, since they won't give up Rielly in that deal. That draft pick would have to be a first with the condition that it's top 15 in next year's draft or we get a second as well.
That seems fair to me. I just don't see Kessel as being worth that monster package minus a 1st as well.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
I can't imagine the Habs trading Price to the Leafs for anything less than premium value. I also can't imagine the Habs looking to move Price for anything reason short of a total rebuild...which means they'd be looking for picks, prospects and young NHLers with upside.

In the spirit of the thread I'll offer this:

Rielly, Finn, JVR, Gardiner, Biggs, 2013 or 2014 first

for

Price, Bourque, Nash

Leafs essentially trade 4 firsts (Gardiner, Rielly, Biggs, 1st) and a second(Finn) for Price and Brendon Nash. Which is a fair deal. Leafs also swap a young top 6 forward with injury baggage for an older top 6 forward with his own baggage. The difference between the value of JVR compared to Bourque is the incentive the Habs use to seal the deal.

Leafs get a premier goalie, a decent top-six forward, and what looks to be a NHL ready prospect about to break into the league. Habs upgrade their defense with Gardiner, add what's likely a better top six forward in JVR, and pick up a blue-chip prospect and what might become 2 valuable players.

Definite win for the Leafs, probable win for the Habs. Both teams likely benefit.
Uh.. you need to look closer.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Price would cost Kadri and Rielly, so no thanks.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanatos

Why would the Habs swap Price for Kessel?

Kessel and Price are roughly the same age. No real gain there. The Habs with Price are likely a far better team than the Habs with Kessel would be. On a team, like MTL, who pushes far more defensive play from it's players, I can't see Kessel ever coming close to being a PPG player with them. Even if the Habs managed to pick up quality goaltending and soon, why place a one-dimensional goal scorer on a team that's not built around an offense-first system?

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:12 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Why would the Habs swap Price for Kessel?

Kessel and Price are roughly the same age. No real gain there. The Habs with Price are likely a far better team than the Habs with Kessel would be. On a team, like MTL, who pushes far more defensive play from it's players, I can't see Kessel ever coming close to being a PPG player with them. Even if the Habs managed to pick up quality goaltending and soon, why place a one-dimensional goal scorer on a team that's not built around an offense-first system?
Well, speaking strictly about my proposal within this thread -> Kessel + 1st + cond. 2nd I don't think that is a terrible deal. Kessel's not just a one-dimensional goal scorer, he's one of the best in the game and still young like Carey as you mentioned. Then We get either a top 15 pick in the draft or a first plus a second which allows us to go nuts in the 2013 draft with 2 1sts and 4 2nds. But yes that would also hinge on us getting some immediate help between the pipes, maybe throw in Reimer if you don'd mind?

Old
12-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Well, speaking strictly about my proposal within this thread -> Kessel + 1st + cond. 2nd I don't think that is a terrible deal. Kessel's not just a one-dimensional goal scorer, he's one of the best in the game and still young like Carey as you mentioned. Then We get either a top 15 pick in the draft or a first plus a second which allows us to go nuts in the 2013 draft. But yes that would also hinge on us getting some immediate help between the pipes.
Canucks fan:

Old
12-15-2012, 10:19 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Canucks fan:
Haha, okay, I was thinking Reimer maybe but he's probably not just a throw in... doubt we would be going after Lu though, we'd be pretty much resigned to an offense first mentality and become the Flyers most likely.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
The Leafs wouldn't trade Kessel for Price to begin with, he already cost us 2 first round picks and a 2nd one of which turned out to be Seguin. Toronto should have no interest in Price because getting him will mean patch one hole and open up another. If Reilly is so overrated on here by Leaf fans and so is Galcheynuk by Hab fans.
Gally's stats don't say so. Go look on the OHL website and see where Gally stands. The guy has the second most points in all of CHL.

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

I'd be disappointed to see Montreal trade Price. I remember guys like Kovalenko, Rucinsky, and Aebischer coming back in previous goalie trades. They really didn't amount to much and I'm sure we could have acquired similar quality via UFA's.

Price, Subban, Paccioretty, Desharnais, Gorges, Emelin all form a nice core group with solid chemistry - why mess with that?

We've also seen teams like Phili and Tor spend an eternity looking for a franchise goalie. Guys like Price are hard to come by.

Toronto would really have to blow my socks off of with an incredible offer involving Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, and 2013/2014 1st round picks. I would also want some type of re-assurance that Montreal could have a guaranteed trade for Luongo arranged (maybe Gardiner and a 2014 1st). Something like that would result in Montreal paying big $ for Luongo and his poor contract but it would bring-in some good young assets into the organization.

Not sure why the Leafs just don't trade Gardiner and a 1st for Luongo - might be a cheaper way to acquire a franchise goalie and cut Montreal out as the Middle man in this type of trade.

That's my 2 cents - I'm sure we all have different perspectives

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
glenbuis

As a habs fan i question why anyone would want luongo. The past 2yrs he has been a sieve. My nephew is a canucks fan and he would give him away. And that contract, you would have to be insane to give away pieces for him. Imagine the gm that trades for him and he plays as poorly as he has the last coupla years and your gonna pay him for the next ten. I hope the leafs get him.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Noob616

Quote:
JVR is actually very useless to us.
I don't really see that. JVR is a legit top 6 winger with size and I don't think you can ever call that kind of player very useless. He'd be the 2nd best LW on the team after Pacioretty.

Noob616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:30 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
I'd be disappointed to see Montreal trade Price. I remember guys like Kovalenko, Rucinsky, and Aebischer coming back in previous goalie trades. They really didn't amount to much and I'm sure we could have acquired similar quality via UFA's.

Price, Subban, Paccioretty, Desharnais, Gorges, Emelin all form a nice core group with solid chemistry - why mess with that?

We've also seen teams like Phili and Tor spend an eternity looking for a franchise goalie. Guys like Price are hard to come by.

Toronto would really have to blow my socks off of with an incredible offer involving Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, and 2013/2014 1st round picks. I would also want some type of re-assurance that Montreal could have a guaranteed trade for Luongo arranged (maybe Gardiner and a 2014 1st). Something like that would result in Montreal paying big $ for Luongo and his poor contract but it would bring-in some good young assets into the organization.

Not sure why the Leafs just don't trade Gardiner and a 1st for Luongo - might be a cheaper way to acquire a franchise goalie and cut Montreal out as the Middle man in this type of trade.

That's my 2 cents - I'm sure we all have different perspectives
For the record, it was Jocelyn Thibault, not Aebischer.

And really it was another era, if you analyze the goalie market (supply and demand and the difference of performance between elites and averages goalies), back in the mid 90', the value of an elite goalie was a lot greater than nowadays.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Rielly+ Gardiner + 2013 first vs Price + Diaz + a second 2013 draft pick

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
kingdok

Quote:
I remember guys like Kovalenko, Rucinsky, and Aebischer coming back in previous goalie trades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
For the record, it was Jocelyn Thibault, not Aebischer.

And really it was another era, if you analyze the goalie market (supply and demand and the difference of performance between elites and averages goalies), back in the mid 90', the value of an elite goalie was a lot greater than nowadays.
He said previous goalie trades and Aebisher was traded for Theodore, which is a goalie.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote