HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 6/13: CBA reached to end the Lockout. Rejoice! (Post#783)

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 06:04 PM
billvanseattle

vCash: 500
yeah right. some people will continue to try and buy a cup.

Sorry.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
It demonstrates that the NHLPA tactics are not being initiated by the players at large, but by a few extremists and Fehr. This is what happens when Unions go bad.

To quote Shakespeare, "Something is rotten in the state of the NHLPA".

You mean the varying group of PA members who've voluntarily decided to take part in the negotiations are "extremists"? Kevin Westgarth? Ron Hainsey? Brendan Morrison? They have soooo much to gain by running negotiations into a ditch. Laughable post.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:33 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post

You mean the varying group of PA members who've voluntarily decided to take part in the negotiations are "extremists"? Kevin Westgarth? Ron Hainsey? Brendan Morrison? They have soooo much to gain by running negotiations into a ditch. Laughable post.
So why won't they allow a vote if the NHLPA is really trying to represent the views of the players? Isn't that what a democratic union should do?

Not allowing a single vote on any NHL offer 3 months into the lockout is proof that the nhlpa is not democratic, and is not representing the views of the majority of players.

Frankly I doubt if any "moderate" members of the NHLPA involved with the negotiations even understand the issues being discussed. The widespread confusion about the correct usage of the terms revenue and profit is one example.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Canucker

Quote:
So why won't they allow a vote if the NHLPA is really trying to represent the views of the players? Isn't that what a democratic union should do?

Not allowing a single vote on any NHL offer 3 months into the lockout is proof that the nhlpa is not democratic, and is not representing the views of the majority of players.

Frankly I doubt if any "moderate" members of the NHLPA involved with the negotiations even understand the issues being discussed. The widespread confusion about the correct usage of the terms revenue and profit is one example.
The negotiating team hasn't had an offer to bring to the membership....what are they supposed to vote on? When the negotiating committee has a deal they can recommend for a vote, they'll put it forward for a vote.

If "moderate" members don't understand the issues perhaps they should educate themselves, they're invited to participate. If I was on the negotiating committee I wouldn't want an uneducated membership deciding my future.

Old
12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:

Did you get to vote on the new bridge? or Carbon tax? or the gun registry? or fast ferries?

Do you think you live in a democracy?

The NHLPA voted a leadership to represent them, if you aren't going to follow their lead and listen to their advice you shouldn't have voted them in.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
opendoor

Quote:

That's not how collective bargaining normally works. Members (this applies to both the PA and the NHL BOG) don't vote on anything until the negotiating committees have an agreement in principle. If members aren't happy with how negotiations are being handled they can take action within their organization through their union reps (or owners can talk to their representatives on the Boards of Governors) and go through those channels.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Proto

Quote:

Please provide your definition of "proof". I am curious.

Please also provide two concrete examples of people confusing profits with revenues.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Tiranis

Somebody confusing their terms in an interview doesn't mean they don't understand the concepts behind them.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:57 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Dolan with MSG tried to have Bettman fired 4-5 years ago. There are definitely owners who don't like Bettman, but as long as Jacobs & Co run the BOG it doesn't matter.
Ah, so Jacobs is the one pulling all the strings. And yet people are focusing only on Bettman.

Riveting stuff.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Chubros

This thread needs some levity:

Old
12-16-2012, 12:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
This thread needs some levity:

I freakin' love maritimers. Reminds me of back east.

PS, still on the side of the dude who brings jenny, and jenny's sister to the party.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Just as the NBA did, the NHL is asking that ALL contracts be declared null and void if the union is successful in its disclaimer.

As the article notes though, they should be careful what they wish for. Personally, as someone who loves trade deadline day and the opening of the free agent signing period, this would be something approaching nirvana if it actually happened!

And as Kipper has said countless times on Hockey Central At Noon, if this was to happen the owners would be cutting each other's throats to sign players and any unity amongst the owners, whether real or not, would be out the window as guys like Illitch would be signing everyone possible and execs like Sather would be let of the leash to do as they wished.

Realistically, I doubt it would ever get that far but it is interesting to speculate as to what would happen if it did.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15...hlpa-dissolves

Ummm....I would absolutely love it if this happened. Every team would essentially be turned upsidedown. Crosby in Vancouver? Doubt it, but at least we would have a new core (hopefully).

12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Ummm....I would absolutely love it if this happened. Every team would essentially be turned upsidedown. Crosby in Vancouver? Doubt it, but at least we would have a new core (hopefully).
Bring Weber, Nuge and Price home

oh baby

Old
12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Jokinen and Gaborik FTW!

Old
12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Bring Weber, Nuge and Price home

oh baby
This would be very very very sweet. Don't know if Price would come home, but I could see Weber and Nuge being in play. It would certainly make things interesting...maybe hold a fantasy draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Jokinen and Gaborik FTW!
Why do you bring up Jokinen? I've never liked him...

Old
12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
It would turn the league into a complete farce. Not surprised you'd like it.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
^ I've been lurking long enough to know that the Pauser would rather have Cammalleri, Jokinen, or/and Gaborik than the Sedins.

I'm not going through post-history to find it; Sedin arguments have been chiseled into my brain.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
It would turn the league into a complete farce. Not surprised you'd like it.
Oh it would be total anarchy and probably unprecedented, but it would make things interesting. Personally, I'm tired of the same old disappointing core that we have so if we could change things up a bit I'd be ecstatic. Not everyone would move on from their teams, but if we could retain some of our players while adding others it would be pretty amazing.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
^ I've been lurking long enough to know that the Pauser would rather have Cammalleri, Jokinen, or/and Gaborik than the Sedins.

I'm not going through post-history to find it; Sedin arguments have been chiseled into my brain.
That is 100% false. I don't know where this crap started from.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:22 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Oh it would be total anarchy and probably unprecedented, but it would make things interesting. Personally, I'm tired of the same old disappointing core that we have so if we could change things up a bit I'd be ecstatic. Not everyone would move on from their teams, but if we could retain some of our players while adding others it would be pretty amazing.
Probably? Interesting?

If this happens, we might as well dissolve the league, come up with brand new franchises and a new trophy. It's pretty much the worst thing that could happen to any hockey fan.

So yeah, not surprised you'd like it.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Probably? Interesting?

If this happens, we might as well dissolve the league, come up with brand new franchises and a new trophy. It's pretty much the worst thing that could happen to any hockey fan.

So yeah, not surprised you'd like it.
What's worse is missing 2 full seasons in a 7 year span. I guess they could agree to some crap CBA, but they'll be back locking the players out in another 5-10 years for a full season when 50/50 is no longer acceptable to the owners.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Jokinen and Gaborik FTW!
Wasn't Cammalleri the ringer he wanted? What an explosive offence we would have had

Old
12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
*Injektilo

Voiding all contracts is far more of a "nuclear" option than cancelling the season. It would turn the league into a complete joke.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Voiding all contracts is far more of a "nuclear" option than cancelling the season. It would turn the league into a complete joke.
A league that cancels a season every few years is a complete joke.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
That is 100% false. I don't know where this crap started from.
Oh, from HFBoards, circa 2007-08. Then again, even if we give you the benefit of the doubt on Jokinen... Cammalleri & Gaborik

Closed Thread