HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-15-2012, 02:42 PM
FakeKidPoker*

vCash: 500
I'm in Vancouver so 1am is ok... but I won't be watching much maybe the games vs usa and russia and medal games.

Next year the tourney is in Sweden too so the start times wont be much better.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I'm in Vancouver so 1am is ok... but I won't be watching much maybe the games vs usa and russia and medal games.

Next year the tourney is in Sweden too so the start times wont be much better.
Ufa is +6 GMT whilst Malmo is +1 GMT so a 1:00PM start time in Malmo would be a 7:00AM EST.

Quote:
2013 Ufa Russia[8]
2014 Malmö Sweden[9]
2015 Canada[10]
2017 Canada[10]
2018 United States[11]
2019 Canada[10]
2021 Canada[10]
2016 is being held in Finland whilst 2020 is being held in the Czech Republic according to Wiki.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:35 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Watch some games this year, note the empty stands. The "gift" we receive here is paying a premium for seats, making money and paying for EVERY team to be here. I know it's the same in other CDN cities, but Vancouver put more people in an arena for Norway and Switzerland than either Norway or Switzerland could. We could let a northern US city host occasionally so Canadians could take a road trip.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Ice hockey teams get great attendance all over Europe, and Switzerland and Norway are two of the best. SC Bern has the best attendance in Europe in an NHL sized arena, putting many NHL teams to shame (yes even some Canadian ones..). Meanwhile, a few years back, Germany packed 70,000 in to see their IIHF WHC home opener against the US, and that team isn't even close to competitive.

Norwegians were loud and proud at last years' WHC, and even a casual glance at the KHL youtube channel (which is fantastic by the way; absolute quality highlight videos and specials) will tell you how many fans pack those arenas despite their small size and lack of modern amenities (in many cases).

Yes, you are correct, Canada is the birthplace of hockey and dominates the sport both on and off the ice. But in my opinion, now is a time for growth. The Canadian market has pretty much peaked. International growth is the only way to go, and to say the tournament should only be held in Canada is to be both a bigot, and counter-competition.

As I said before, if the tournament ever becomes exclusively a Canada rah rah session, cancel the whole thing. Hell cancel all of international hockey entirely and put Canada in its own little bubble outside the IIHF...for they are not worthy to have us you see..

I'm STOKED the tournament is being held in Europe. Hold it there every year!

BUILD. THE. SPORT.

EDIT: link to SC Bern's wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC_Bern

Get out of your bubble, hockey is huge elsewhere too.

Last edited by FuriousSenator: 12-15-2012 at 09:40 PM.
FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Watch some games this year, note the empty stands. The "gift" we receive here is paying a premium for seats, making money and paying for EVERY team to be here. I know it's the same in other CDN cities, but Vancouver put more people in an arena for Norway and Switzerland than either Norway or Switzerland could. We could let a northern US city host occasionally so Canadians could take a road trip.
You make an excellent picture of a Canadian hockey fan
You'll never have great attendance if you let Russia/Sweden/Finland host the World Juniors once in 30 years, and fan attention to youth hockey has greatly grown in Russia over the last years - so I expect much better attendance this time.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:19 PM
EmergencyExit

It sucks but makes total sense considering where the games are actually taking place. Nothing wrong with hosting it somewhere else.

Things like this just motivate me to buy a DVR that much more, plus I expect the games to be broadcasted again later in the day. The funny thing is that I'll be waking up around 5 am for work for the first Canada game. In fact if it wasn't for work I'd be pulling all nighters to watch these games anyway.

EmergencyExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Ari91

Watching replays just isn't the same - mainly because I can't help myself from checking the score. I'll have to figure something out. At least I know I'll get to watch the Boxing Day, NYE and weekend games.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Ice hockey teams get great attendance all over Europe, and Switzerland and Norway are two of the best. SC Bern has the best attendance in Europe in an NHL sized arena, putting many NHL teams to shame (yes even some Canadian ones..).
I am happy you picked a PRO franchise to compare to Swiss juniors. Funny thing, those Bern tix are cheaper than buying WJC tix. That means beer and hockey are two things cheaper in Switzerland than Canada. Time to move.

Let's have Switzerland play Norway in a junior game in Zurich. Let's charge 50CHF and watch the arena fill up. Right? Watch the tourney in Russia this month. I cant wait to see all the empty seats in a 4000 seat arena.

Last edited by stv11: 12-17-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Flaming
craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
I am happy you picked a PRO franchise to compare to Swiss juniors. Funny thing, those Bern tix are cheaper than buying WJC tix. That means beer and hockey are two things cheaper in Switzerland than Canada. Time to move.

Let's have Switzerland play Norway in a junior game in Zurich. Let's charge 50CHF and watch the arena fill up.

==

Watch the tourney in Russia this month. I cant wait to see all the empty seats in a 4000 seat arena.
Seeing as there were a good few thousand spare seats at the Saddledome you can't really comment.

Anyone saying that other areas shouldn't get it are clearly not bothered about growing the game.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Seeing as there were a good few thousand spare seats at the Saddledome you can't really comment.
It upsets me to defend Calgary, but are you referring to the most attended WJC ever?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 538
Don't matter to me i will watch either way. Way my work schedule is it works out perfect this year.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:45 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I for one have no interest in growing the game at all, but its bollocks to have it in Canada every year.

While its going to suck to wake up at 2am its not fair for us to hog the tournament, even if our revenues are greater.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

East coast(er) here. If I :

1) Come home from work at 5 p.m.;
2) Eat;
3) Tell everyone in the house to keep quiet;
4) Pray they listen but know they won't;
5) Go to bed right after dinner;
6) Get up at 3 a.m. (~8 hours sleep);
7) Get ready for work,
8) Have breakfast at 4 a.m. (once the games start);
9) Watch until 7 a.m.;
10) Leave for work at 8 a.m.,
11) Come home at 5 p.m. and start the whole process over again...

Will that work??? Can I pull it off for 2 weeks? Given this may be my ONLY hockey fix for a LONG time, it might be worth it.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:56 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

My dilemma right now: I don't want to wake up at 4 am.

So how do I watch a replay online without it being spoiled? I can't go to TSN since it'll say the score. So how can I find a replay without the score being there?

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post

So how do I watch a replay online without it being spoiled? I can't go to TSN since it'll say the score. So how can I find a replay without the score being there?
DVR it?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

There is going to be a free wake-up service offered for those who want it.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:

If you don't live alone or with people who are eager to spoil it for you, you can have them go to TSN.ca, queue all periods of the game via their VOD, press play, go full screen and you're golden. All you then need to do is to not check whether there are 3, 4 or 5 pieces in the queue. So if you're watching it all in one go, you should be able to avoid any spoilers

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
East coast(er) here. If I :

1) Come home from work at 5 p.m.;
2) Eat;
3) Tell everyone in the house to keep quiet;
4) Pray they listen but know they won't;
5) Go to bed right after dinner;
6) Get up at 3 a.m. (~8 hours sleep);
7) Get ready for work,
8) Have breakfast at 4 a.m. (once the games start);
9) Watch until 7 a.m.;
10) Leave for work at 8 a.m.,
11) Come home at 5 p.m. and start the whole process over again...

Will that work??? Can I pull it off for 2 weeks? Given this may be my ONLY hockey fix for a LONG time, it might be worth it.
Your country depends on you!

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
DVR it?
Don't have a DVR/Cable subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
If you don't live alone or with people who are eager to spoil it for you, you can have them go to TSN.ca, queue all periods of the game via their VOD, press play, go full screen and you're golden. All you then need to do is to not check whether there are 3, 4 or 5 pieces in the queue. So if you're watching it all in one go, you should be able to avoid any spoilers
I live alone unfortunately. It's getting to the queue that's my problem. I might have to cover parts up but Im not sure if that would work. I would hope then that the queue would only say Canada vs. Country and not the score with it.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Your country depends on you!
Hi Xokkeu:

I won't be the only one. You watch, buddy... the TSN ratings on this will be HUGE!!! People will look at the numbers after it is done and say,
"Canadians are insane!"

Old
12-16-2012, 02:33 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

^^^

I was at the library yesterday. I took out Gare Joyce's book on the last 30 WJR's. Anyway, the little old lady behind the counter (she had to be 60) started talking to me about how she can't wait for the WJR's to start and how she will get up to watch the Canadian games. I was impressed.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Ryker

Quote:
I live alone unfortunately. It's getting to the queue that's my problem. I might have to cover parts up but Im not sure if that would work. I would hope then that the queue would only say Canada vs. Country and not the score with it.
Yeah, that was my problem last year, as well, and I was unable to avoid the scores with most of them. Some of them, I did, though, as far as I remember. Getting to their VOD without spoiling anything is easy enough, but it then depends on how they're going to archive the games. For example, if you now click on CFL Games on Demand, they're archived nicely, giving just the two teams and no score, but with some other categories, you don't get headlines, you get the thumbnails with links to the games, and with those the scores are usually given, or at least were last year. I guess we'll know more when the pre-competition games start, but in any case, I think you and me both will have to work hard on focusing eyesight on a particular part of the screen for short periods of time to avoid catching anything that would spoil it for us

Old
12-16-2012, 02:47 PM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, that was my problem last year, as well, and I was unable to avoid the scores with most of them. Some of them, I did, though, as far as I remember. Getting to their VOD without spoiling anything is easy enough, but it then depends on how they're going to archive the games. For example, if you now click on CFL Games on Demand, they're archived nicely, giving just the two teams and no score, but with some other categories, you don't get headlines, you get the thumbnails with links to the games, and with those the scores are usually given, or at least were last year. I guess we'll know more when the pre-competition games start, but in any case, I think you and me both will have to work hard on focusing eyesight on a particular part of the screen for short periods of time to avoid catching anything that would spoil it for us
I'm thinking that the day before, I'll lay a piece of paper over my computer, then mark the spots in which a score could be revealed (such as a highlights), cut the other parts in which nothing will be spoiled, and try to get my way to the VOD like the CFL games. The problem is, I have to bookmark their video player, and not go to TSN.ca itself.

Hopefully, they do have it on demand.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Just get up and watch the games live, guys. You can always sleep later.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Yes it makes perfect sense to give the host country the prime time slots, but is there a reason why on the Sunday the Canada vs USA game has been relegated from the ideal TV time slot in favour of Germany vs Slovakia?
Probably a scheduling issue. Canada, USA and Slovakia all come of a day off, Germany on the other hand played the late game the day before. If you would switch the two games, Germany would be down to about half a day of rest while the other three would be at two whole days. No nation has less than 24 hours between the start of one game to the start of the next.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Ryker

Quote:
I'm thinking that the day before, I'll lay a piece of paper over my computer, then mark the spots in which a score could be revealed (such as a highlights), cut the other parts in which nothing will be spoiled, and try to get my way to the VOD like the CFL games. The problem is, I have to bookmark their video player, and not go to TSN.ca itself.

Hopefully, they do have it on demand.
Well, you can watch some unrelated clip beforehand, and when you'll start typing TSN or whatever in your web browser's address bar, you'll get the auto-fill link to that particular video. So just follow that, and you'll get that video playing and not the default one you'd get if you went straight for VOD. Then just make sure you click quickly on the video library tab, and you're free of spoilers. Then what's left is just for them not to have thumbnails or scores in the title of the link to the match. If they don't, just click on the link, keep your focus on the video portion of the screen and go full screen right away. I think you should be able to avoid any spoilers from there on. Come to think of it, I think last year my main problem was not in TSN's videos (well, for some games it was, but not for all), but in me wanting to discuss some previous games here on the boards, and having other scores posted in threads that didn't pertain to those games.