HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Teams that benefit from cancelled season

Old
12-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Teams that benefit from cancelled season

Looking at Capgeek, a lot of teams have a lot of players becoming UFA's or RFA's at the start of the 2013-14 seaaon. With teams unable to negotiate re-signings while a lockout exists, this could cause a lot of key players holding out re-signing before finding out what kind of offers they can garner as a UFA.

Vancouver is in the lucky position of having the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Kassian, Hansen, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, Luongo and Schneider all signed through the 2013-14 season or longer. The only two front line players that turn UFA status is Higgins and Edler and if the teams loses Edler they have Ballard able to step into his roster spot.

With a stable roster of the teams key players going into the next season, this bodes well in building a strong cup contending team again.

Boston, Philadelphia, San Jose, Chicago also have similar roster stability though Vancouver is the most solid in goal.

Which teams are likely to lose some of their core players due to UFA status and not being able to negotiate new contracts due to the lockout?

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 12-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Mike Ribeiro, Caps traded for him and may lose for nothing. I hope GMGM was smart enough to talk about that with him before the lockout started.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
BlueBaron

Problem is every team loses a year on their young players. How you can think contracts expiring which would have expired anyway is a benifit is baffling. All that they are getting is lost revenue, losing fans, hindered development and international embarassment. I cannot identify a single positive and certainly contracts ending that would have ended anyway is not one .

A better thread would be, "Teams with lots of money coming off their cap next year".

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
leaflover
Own the podium

vCash: 5750
I would think most every team has contracts they love seeing have a year burned off with zero payments but also have friendly contracts they hate to have a year lost on. It may turnout that veteran teams have a slight edge in the sense they're not wasting inexpensive productive years on a lost season but that should be balanced out by a lost year for a strong core. Other teams may benefit if they have buyouts this year that would otherwise waste valuable cap space. There are too many variables IMO to declare anyone a salary cap winner from this lockout.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Habs lose the final year on Pacioretty's cheap contract. Next year, it starts at 4.5. Desharnais' contract of less than a mill is up and he'll be RFA

On the bright side there's no forced decision between keeping Galchenyuk up in the NHL, or in the OHL.
Gomez and Kaberle both lose a year. Brings Gomez, Kaberle and to a lesser extent Gionta and Budaj closer to UFA status. Also brings Emelin and Diaz closer to UFA (1 year)

Injuries don't force 1 of the habs many young dman up into the NHL (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn)

The downside is the Dogs can't be as good as they could be with all the other players being sent down. If the season were to start today, the dogs would lose 1, 2 players max to the NHL.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Problem is every team loses a year on their young players. How you can think contracts expiring which would have expired anyway is a benifit is baffling. All that they are getting is lost revenue, losing fans, hindered development and international embarassment. I cannot identify a single positive and certainly contracts ending that would have ended anyway is not one .

A better thread would be, "Teams with lots of money coming off their cap next year".
Yes, they were expiring anyway, but if a lockout extended to the summer, there would be no contract extensions before the beginning of free agency. However, if Bettman gets his way in court, every player would see their contract voided. There would be a massive free agency feeding frenzy then and no team would be safe. In that case, no team 'wins' from the lockout.

From a Canucks fan perspective, the lockout sucks because a year of the Sedins near their prime is lost, and a year which the Canucks are among the top tier favorites to contend goes down the drain. However, with Kesler still on the shelf indefinitely they have big question marks with their 2nd and 3rd line C. There is very little push from the farm system to fill in that hole.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post

What are you rambling on about? Did you actually bother to read my post?

My post's opinion is that teams that have a minimal number of players who's contracts expire prior to next year's season, especially core players, will be a more stable team during the 2013-14 season while teams with a lot of UFA's and RFA's could lose some of those UFA's & RFA's due to a feeding frenzy or have to over pay to keep those UFA's. Radical roster changes usually take a year or two for the players to settle down and gel as a team.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Chicago is lucky that all the young players needed for depth get more seasoning and development time

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
This lockout could be a blessing in disguise for the Flyers. The big negatives are that it burns a year off Giroux's bargain contract, and Schenn/Couturier lose a year as well. On the other hand, this lockout could revitalize Timonen's career. He had been consistently banged up for years, and given an entire year for him to rest, he could still have 2 or 3 years left in him. Most of us expected him to retire after this year when his contract expired, but I can't believe he would retire after a locked out year. We could bring him back on a cheaper deal and he should be even more effective because he'll be fully healthy for once. It also helps us because our entire defense was banged up over the summer.

Timonen, Meszaros, and Lilja were all recovering from surgery and would not have been able to start the season if it started on time. We also lose the last year on Shelley's contract, and lose a year on Pronger/Bryzgalov's albatross contracts.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Devilspuppet666

flames, for the simple reason that this year is great for Horak, Baertschi, brodie, and maybe even backlunds development. this pushes the flames to start to rebuild (or retool) soon with iggy getting older and him being a UFA, and kipper getting older.... time to give ramo/irving a chance in net (IF irving resigns)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:07 PM
luongo321

Big LOL at keeping Ballard if Edler walks due to money. I will be the first down at gm place with a pitch fork if that happens. Dump ballard and give edler the little extra money he wants if it comes down to that. Either way, if Kesler is still injured we won't win a cup in this imaginary season unless the Sedins/Schneider play out of their minds. Kesler is the engine of this team.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

I can't believe that no one has said Nashville. No team should be happier with the 1st year of Weber's contract being gone.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Sort of the Sens I guess... Cowen will miss the whole season so that's a huge blow, but we'll also lose Gonchar which probably hurts the team more in the present.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I can't believe that no one has said Nashville. No team should be happier with the 1st year of Weber's contract being gone.
Didnt they have to pay him like 10 million upon signing which was before the lockout and then he had a million in salary throughout the year? Correct me if I am wrong.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Ceremony
The game is rigged

Goodbyyyyyyyyye Kobasew!

12-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Hanzee Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Didnt they have to pay him like 10 million upon signing which was before the lockout and then he had a million in salary throughout the year? Correct me if I am wrong.
13 million, I think. So yeah, they aren't too happy about that, I would imagine.

Hanzee Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
tyflames

vCash: 250
The flames certainly don't benefit if we lose iginla at the years end for nothing.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Shawnathon

Isn't this like the 10th thread with the exact same name and idea.

Shawnathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
The flames certainly don't benefit if we lose iginla at the years end for nothing.
I doubt Iginla would leave the Flames like that. He`ll either sign an extension and stay with us or be signed and traded imo.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:39 PM
ds4130

NYI. If there was a season, Niederreiter would probably still be misused and a wasted pick/prospect. In this situation, he has to stay in the AHL and he's tearing it up and regaining his confidence.

Edit: I just realized this is in the Trade Rumors section so this comment doesn't apply.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:39 PM
seanlinden

Realistically, the teams that will be hurt most from a full year lost are those near the $70m cap without a ton of expiring contracts. We're fairly certain that the 2013-2014 cap is going to be in the neighborhood of the low 60s, so it could be very difficult to clear cap space.

Take a team like Vancouver, mentioned by the OP, as they had $68m committed for the 2012-13 season. If we call the cap at $63m, that's $5m to clear... which means losing Malhotra, Raymond, and Higgins while replacing them with league minimum players, and allocating no money to give Edler a raise. Alternatively, you look to move a Luongo/Ballard (or both), which of course requires a team looking to take on a huge salary without sending salary back..likely not the most appealing thing when teams are trying to clear cap and there's 2 years of backlogged UFAs.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:42 PM
tyflames

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I doubt Iginla would leave the Flames like that. He`ll either sign an extension and stay with us or be signed and traded imo.
I hope so but it's still a possibility that he walks as a free agent for a chance to win.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:55 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Sort of the Sens I guess... Cowen will miss the whole season so that's a huge blow, but we'll also lose Gonchar which probably hurts the team more in the present.
If the season is gone (or there is a season but Cowen doesn't play), does this burn another year of his ELC?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
TurdFerguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
If the season is gone (or there is a season but Cowen doesn't play), does this burn another year of his ELC?
All players have a year burned off of their contracts. This includes Cowen's ELC. However since all contracts are subject to the rules of the CBA, it is technically possible if they increase the lengths of ELC's on the new CBA to make it retroactive as well. I should also stress how highly unlikely this is.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
$13M signing bonus, $1M salary, and another $13M signing bonus to be paid July 1st 2013 and $1M salary for 2013-2014. They're out $26M and save $1M in salary if there is no season. With no gate revenue, this could be a devastating blow for the Predators financial situation.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote