HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Division I-III

Old
12-16-2012, 09:10 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Wow, can't believe Poland advanced over countries like Italy, Kazakhstan and Ukraine!

Is Polish hockey being revived or was this fluke?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:24 AM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
link for live video
http://fhu.com.ua/ru/news/top/sbornye_fpq1z/3358/

IIHFjerseycollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:29 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Wow, can't believe Poland advanced over countries like Italy, Kazakhstan and Ukraine!

Is Polish hockey being revived or was this fluke?
Probably a fluke,but i dont know almost anything avout polish hockey so i`m not really qualified to answer
If any polish commentators have any proof that poland is getting better and it wasnt just coincidence feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 12-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.
BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:10 PM
kaiser matias

Poland used to be a half-decent country. They were regular participants at the Elite level, and famously upset the Soviet Union in 1977. But like most Eastern Bloc countries, the fall of Communism hurt their hockey program, and they have been going down since then. They last appeared in the Elite level at the World Championships in 2001, and are currently in Division IB with no real prospects to advance. Their junior program is at a similar level.

Its hard to say if this result actually proves anything, or is just a fluke. Remember, both Ukraine and Kazakhstan are also having real problems; only difference is that unlike Poland, both of them are able to benefit from the KHL and its associated leagues (VHL, MHL, etc). It would be nice if Poland is finally heading towards an upwords spin again, but I wouldn't put any stock into it. However next year they may be able to stay in Division IA, seeing how both Slovenia and Austria are not doing so well right now either and either one of them could be knocked out by a tough Polish team.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
Poland used to be a half-decent country. They were regular participants at the Elite level, and famously upset the Soviet Union in 1977. But like most Eastern Bloc countries, the fall of Communism hurt their hockey program, and they have been going down since then. They last appeared in the Elite level at the World Championships in 2001, and are currently in Division IB with no real prospects to advance. Their junior program is at a similar level.

Its hard to say if this result actually proves anything, or is just a fluke. Remember, both Ukraine and Kazakhstan are also having real problems; only difference is that unlike Poland, both of them are able to benefit from the KHL and its associated leagues (VHL, MHL, etc). It would be nice if Poland is finally heading towards an upwords spin again, but I wouldn't put any stock into it. However next year they may be able to stay in Division IA, seeing how both Slovenia and Austria are not doing so well right now either and either one of them could be knocked out by a tough Polish team.

Croatia as expected relegated to D2A after four seasons in Division 1. Interesting that in years when we stayed in D1 we used to get beaten by some opponents by 10+ goals, now we didn't lose any game more than five goals but going down to lower division.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:54 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Right, I forgot they stayed up for another year. Still, its been a while

Quote:
Croatia as expected relegated to D2A after four seasons in Division 1. Interesting that in years when we stayed in D1 we used to get beaten by some opponents by 10+ goals, now we didn't lose any game more than five goals but going down to lower division.
It is impressive that Croatia managed to stick around for so long. Makes you wonder what could happen if there was some real effort put into the program there. And hey at least they weren't shutout in all five games; that one goal against Ukraine saved them from a pretty embarrassing fate. But your point still stands, they have really cut down the goals against. Just need some goals for. Still, don't think they will be back up in 2015; they're probably stuck in Div IIA for a couple years, at least until some proper effort is put into a youth program.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

In Division II Group A, Japan went undefeated and got promoted.

Hungary, who i root for because i'm of Hungarian descent was leading against Japan for 2 periods, but then blew it in the 3rd big time and finished second without a lot of their best national players. I believe they're getting better and have got a pretty good shot to be promoted next year.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
In Division II Group A, Japan went undefeated and got promoted.

Hungary, who i root for because i'm of Hungarian descent was leading against Japan for 2 periods, but then blew it in the 3rd big time and finished second without a lot of their best national players. I believe they're getting better and have got a pretty good shot to be promoted next year.
Hungary losing was a bit of an upset. But apparently the Hungarians left off a couple of their better players for whatever reasons (possibly injuries). Though the Japanese team was more or less making their international debut (due to the 2011 earthquake/tsunami, the U18 Japanese team, this age level, didn't play in any tournament, along with the other Japanese teams of all levels).

However I'd say that Hungary is definitely on the upswing. For those that may not know, they just launched a Budapest-based team in the MHL (Russian junior league). While it only has a few Hungarians on the team right now, it certainly can't hurt to have the team around, as it will give an outlet for the best Hungarian players to stay in their home country and compete against some of the best junior players in the world. Hungary is definitely one country that is growing hockey properly. They are already a nation that is serious about promotion to the Elite level of the WC (did it in 2009 for the first time since the 1930's) and are really developing the sport in the country. Over the next decade I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a mainstay in the Elite level of the WC and start to produce NHL draft picks.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:
However I'd say that Hungary is definitely on the upswing. For those that may not know, they just launched a Budapest-based team in the MHL (Russian junior league). While it only has a few Hungarians on the team right now, it certainly can't hurt to have the team around, as it will give an outlet for the best Hungarian players to stay in their home country and compete against some of the best junior players in the world. Hungary is definitely one country that is growing hockey properly. They are already a nation that is serious about promotion to the Elite level of the WC (did it in 2009 for the first time since the 1930's) and are really developing the sport in the country. Over the next decade I wouldn't be surprised to see them become a mainstay in the Elite level of the WC and start to produce NHL draft picks.
Sorry, but I don't see that happening at all, at least not as fast. Currently they're clearly behind even, say, Slovenia, and we're always jumping up and down. To become a mainstay, you'd clearly need more than that. I'm not saying they're a bad team, because they're not, but I'm not sure that much has changed in the last couple of years. Yes, Alba is playing successfully in EBEL, and their young guns are doing great in the Erste Bank Young Stars league, but they've always had great players, and they're also not the only team improving. I see them staying one of the better Divison I teams, with occasional miraculous advances to the Elite.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:39 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:

It is impressive that Croatia managed to stick around for so long. Makes you wonder what could happen if there was some real effort put into the program there. And hey at least they weren't shutout in all five games; that one goal against Ukraine saved them from a pretty embarrassing fate. But your point still stands, they have really cut down the goals against. Just need some goals for. Still, don't think they will be back up in 2015; they're probably stuck in Div IIA for a couple years, at least until some proper effort is put into a youth program.
No way ! We are going to have big problems with staying in D2A. 93. born class is no longer with team next season, we will be thin at goalie position, as well on D. But who knows, most of our players plays in EBEL U20, so maybe we will manage to steal a victory or two.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:02 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:

I must say I am not optimist. We lack good coaches, and we lack coaches who are wiling to teach kids something, most of them are just preoccupied to get money at the end of the month from kids parents. Everybody in Croatia now thinks that EBEL U20 league (Medvescak plays it with players from all three clubs) will launch us to the highs of Division 1 B, but that is simple BS. Problem is that most kids are very little hockey educated by age of 16, they have so many holes in their game compared to kids from region. EBEL U20 will not save us, only way to improve is to get good quality coaches who will work with kids from their earliest age up to age of 16-17.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:26 AM
kaiser matias

So Division IIB began yesterday, with Division III to start on the 14th.

Not surprisingly, Estonia is off to a good start in Div IIB. They shutout Australia 8-0, even with the latter bolstered by potential NHL draft pick Nathan Walker. I'd expect them to advance, especially because the other teams, Belgium, Iceland, South Korea and Serbia are not likely to match Estonia. My guess is Iceland is relegated. Australia should finish second, depending on how Walker plays the rest of the tournament; if he can prove himself again, they should be fine.

Division III should be interesting. It will be showcase the debut of the United Arab Emirates junior team. Previously the UAE had a senior team at the 2010 World Championships, where they were respectable for a debut nation. They withdrew from the 2011 tournament as they had to play Israel, which goes against Emirati law; however they will be at the 2013 WC. The other countries at the Div III WJC are Bulgaria, China, Mexico, New Zealand, and Turkey. Admittingly, I know very little about this level, so as far as I can tell its a toss-up. If I had to pick, I wouldn't expect the UAE, as they are a brand-new team, nor would I pick China, Mexico or Turkey (lack of a decent junior program, I think). I would say its probably between Bulgaria and New Zealand, with NZ taking it. But this is a total guess and based on nothing. Hopefully someone here is more versed in this level than me.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:21 AM
IIHFjerseycollector

Quote:
So Division IIB began yesterday, with Division III to start on the 14th.

Not surprisingly, Estonia is off to a good start in Div IIB. They shutout Australia 8-0, even with the latter bolstered by potential NHL draft pick Nathan Walker. I'd expect them to advance, especially because the other teams, Belgium, Iceland, South Korea and Serbia are not likely to match Estonia. My guess is Iceland is relegated. Australia should finish second, depending on how Walker plays the rest of the tournament; if he can prove himself again, they should be fine.

Division III should be interesting. It will be showcase the debut of the United Arab Emirates junior team. Previously the UAE had a senior team at the 2010 World Championships, where they were respectable for a debut nation. They withdrew from the 2011 tournament as they had to play Israel, which goes against Emirati law; however they will be at the 2013 WC. The other countries at the Div III WJC are Bulgaria, China, Mexico, New Zealand, and Turkey. Admittingly, I know very little about this level, so as far as I can tell its a toss-up. If I had to pick, I wouldn't expect the UAE, as they are a brand-new team, nor would I pick China, Mexico or Turkey (lack of a decent junior program, I think). I would say its probably between Bulgaria and New Zealand, with NZ taking it. But this is a total guess and based on nothing. Hopefully someone here is more versed in this level than me.

I guess you certainly underestimated Iceland then. they just beat belgium, and are beating australia 5-1 as I type this... Im also a bit surprised .

Nathan Walker isnt listed on the Australian roster, so im not sure why you thought he was playing? he is listed on the team entry list, but that was probably just incase he wanted to join the team.. He was just picked up by the youngstown phantoms of the USHL and my guess is thats why hes not playing in this tournament. http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/323/IHM3230AUS_33_2_0.pdf

as for division 3.. im not entirely sure either. Its harder to tell with the U20, U18 groups etc.. NZ or China is my guess.

Last edited by IIHFjerseycollector: 01-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
I guess you certainly underestimated Iceland then. they just beat belgium, and are beating australia 5-1 as I type this... Im also a bit surprised .

Nathan Walker isnt listed on the Australian roster, so im not sure why you thought he was playing? he is listed on the team entry list, but that was probably just incase he wanted to join the team.. He was just picked up by the youngstown phantoms of the USHL and my guess is thats why hes not playing in this tournament. http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/323/IHM3230AUS_33_2_0.pdf

as for division 3.. im not entirely sure either. Its harder to tell with the U20, U18 groups etc.. NZ or China is my guess.
I indeed have underestimated Iceland. And I simply read Walker's name on the entry list, did not realise he was not actually coming to the tournament. But I also did write that up at 2.00AM, so wasn't fully thinking. After a second day of play it looks like it will be between Iceland and Estonia for promotion. I'm still leaning towards Estonia, as they have a couple players in the Finnish leagues, which is experience the Icelandic team seems to lack.

Also had no idea Walker signed on in the USHL. Glad to see him do it, as it should really help his profile for this years draft. Would be incredible if he gets selected.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:34 AM
garbageteam

Iceland probably isn't beating Estonia unless hell freezes over. Great to see that they are competitive this year though, they should safely avoid relegation and might even challenge for 2nd or 3rd place. It's hard not to root for a nation with a name like Iceland at Ice Hockey.

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
IIHFjerseycollector

something i havent seen before... Estonia wearing WHITE pants, or atleast white shells.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:21 AM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
Iceland probably isn't beating Estonia unless hell freezes over. Great to see that they are competitive this year though, they should safely avoid relegation and might even challenge for 2nd or 3rd place. It's hard not to root for a nation with a name like Iceland at Ice Hockey.

sorry, I had to

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
something i havent seen before... Estonia wearing WHITE pants, or atleast white shells.

Looks weird, just because it havent been seen before!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote