HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teams that benefit from cancelled season

Old
12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
isles, they are forced to give their prospects more time to develop

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Yes, they were expiring anyway, but if a lockout extended to the summer, there would be no contract extensions before the beginning of free agency. However, if Bettman gets his way in court, every player would see their contract voided. There would be a massive free agency feeding frenzy then and no team would be safe. In that case, no team 'wins' from the lockout.

From a Canucks fan perspective, the lockout sucks because a year of the Sedins near their prime is lost, and a year which the Canucks are among the top tier favorites to contend goes down the drain. However, with Kesler still on the shelf indefinitely they have big question marks with their 2nd and 3rd line C. There is very little push from the farm system to fill in that hole.
not true if all contracts are voided then the cap would also be voided and the rich teams like the flyers rangers and leafs mould be HUGE winners as they could spend without restriction

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:52 PM
hlaverty06

I think Devils, as long as we still have time to negotiate with Zajac, Elias etc. before new season we could also maybe sign a top 6 RW in FA

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
not true if all contracts are voided then the cap would also be voided and the rich teams like the flyers rangers and leafs mould be HUGE winners as they could spend without restriction
The Canucks are 4th in team revenues btw, ahead of the Flyers and behind only Montreal, Toronto and NY Rangers. The big 3 Canadian teams would emerge the winners in a cap-free voided contract environment. I doubt the NHL will be able to get all contracts voided though. I'm hoping that the legal threats are just fall-back plans, and they will come to an agreement like the NBA did when it came to this point. However, if all players become UFA, so much for teams like Edmonton that tried to rebuild through the draft.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
LaFan1967

LA Kings looking good also , 5 players UFA only Scuderi (D) needs to be retained or
replaced thru outside sorces ( UFA or Trade )

Kopitar, Anze $6,800,000 $6,800,000 $6,800,000 $6,800,000 UFA
Richards, Mike 8 years @$5,750,000
Carter, Jeff 10 years@$5,272,727
Williams, Justin $3,650,000 $3,650,000 $3,650,000 UFA
Gagne, Simon $3,500,000 UFA
Penner, Dustin $3,250,000 UFA
Stoll, Jarret $3,250,000 $3,250,000 $3,250,000 UFA
Brown, Dustin $3,175,000 $3,175,000 UFA
Richardson, Brad $1,175,000 UFA
Clifford, Kyle EL $870,000 RFA
Fraser, Colin $825,000 $825,000 UFA
King, Dwight $750,000 $750,000 RFA
Lewis, Trevor $725,000 RFA
Westgarth, Kevin $725,000 $725,000 UFA
Nolan, Jordan EL $531,667 RFA

Defensemen (7)

Doughty, Drew 7 years @$7,000,000
Mitchell, Willie 35+ $3,500,000 $3,500,000 UFA
Scuderi, Rob $3,400,000 UFA
Greene, Matt $2,950,000 $2,950,000 UFA
Voynov, Slava EL $816,666 RFA
Martinez, Alec $737,500 RFA
Drewiske, Davis $616,667 UFA

Goaltenders (2)

Quick, Jonathan $1,800,000 6years @ $5,800,000
Bernier, Jonathan $1,250,000 RFA

LaFan1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
pdd

Detroit benefits. Howard and Flip are almost guarantees to stay. Brunner would likely re-sign having played all year in Zug with Zetterberg. White may or may not re-sign, who knows. Nyquist, Mursak, Kindl, and Smith would be RFAs (under the expired CBA)

Which leaves the fact that Detroit would be looking at the end of Cleary's contract and Miller's contract, and a year off Bertuzzi's stupid extension.

The Wings have 11 NHL-ready forwards signed who would be on a hypothetical 2013-14 roster were they still with the club at that point. Furthermore, Nyquist and Mursak are (likely) RFAs. So that' 13. When you add Flip and Brunner in it makes 15, but it's unlikely Eaves would be kept around anymore as a $1.2m spare part. Miller might be re-signed, and one of Mursak or Emmerton unloaded, but that is a minor change.

The big thing is on D; the Wings will go hard to get a guy like Edler or Smid; they'll probably re-sign all three of Kindl, White, and Smith and then try to get Edler/Smid and trade someone afterwards.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Halpysback

I'd imagine Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen being a year older now that they're on the downslope negates everything else. Kronwall too.

It's not like Detroit has any really bad contracts they're losing or any gamebreaking prospect who'd be more ready with a year of development. Nyqvist and Smith would probably benefit more from NHL play this year and then the minors.

If any team benefits from the lockout it's Winnipeg. Toronto and Islanders right up there too.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Wild easily benefit.

Get rid of some bad contracts (Backstrom, Cullen, Bouchard) and free up some cap space. They also get their rookies to develop.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Problem is every team loses a year on their young players. How you can think contracts expiring which would have expired anyway is a benifit is baffling. All that they are getting is lost revenue, losing fans, hindered development and international embarassment. I cannot identify a single positive and certainly contracts ending that would have ended anyway is not one .

A better thread would be, "Teams with lots of money coming off their cap next year".
Would winning the #1 overall pick be a positive to Leaf fans? Lol

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:11 PM
GeeoffBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
flames, for the simple reason that this year is great for Horak, Baertschi, brodie, and maybe even backlunds development. this pushes the flames to start to rebuild (or retool) soon with iggy getting older and him being a UFA, and kipper getting older.... time to give ramo/irving a chance in net (IF irving resigns)
And if the draft works the same as last lockout, the Flames will have one of the best chances at the 1st overall draft pick. However, I think that Kipper and Iginla will remain Flames.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

I feel like the Leafs benefit greatly from the year off.

Connolly/Lombardi both come off the books, Komisarek is down to his last year which is also his cheapest. A full year of development in the AHL for Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Holzer, etc. An additional year for Rielly to develop in junior so he may be ready come next year. And most importantly for me, Kulemin playing top minutes in Russia and re-gaining his scoring touch. That being said, a lot of the Leafs main players haven't signed anymore so that worries me in the sense that they might be rusty but who knows?

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Wild easily benefit.

Get rid of some bad contracts (Backstrom, Cullen, Bouchard) and free up some cap space. They also get their rookies to develop.
backstrom is a bad contract?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I think Devils, as long as we still have time to negotiate with Zajac, Elias etc. before new season we could also maybe sign a top 6 RW in FA
That is just the point. If the lockout lasts the full season, no team will have any time to be able to negotiate with their players prior to the June 30th end of season. Players already signed for the 2013-14 season and beyond will be safe, but teams with players who's contracts expire Jun 30, 2013 will be be exposed to their players being UFA's and open to offers from all clubs at the same time the club they presently play for can start negotiating to re-sign those players. I think that there will be a feeding frenzie that will cause a lot of clubs to lose some players they really need to keep or those clubs will be forced to out bid the other teams making offers to those players. Though in the long run a big shake up may benefit a lot of teams, I think for the first year or two, teams that have to make a lot of changes to their roster will not be serious playoff/cup contenders.

On the Devils, which players turn UFA at the end of this 2012-13 season and would their loss to another team seriously harm the Devils?

If on the other hand, the NHL is serious to void all present contracts and their is no cap, then as another poster pointed out, the small market teams are in very serious trouble. The rich teams, Vancouver included, will go on their own feeding frenzy.

My post wasn't trying to ask which teams benefit or get hurt by their players getting time off for a year. My post is asking what the impact on your team will be if they can't talk to, negotiate or re-sign players currently on your roster that turn UFA on June 30, 2013?

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 12-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:28 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Yeah... there is no benefit to a canceled season to the Devils whatsoever.

Too many key players going UFA/RFA.
Lose a prime year of Kovy's lifetime contract.
Marty's on his last contract. So's Moose too.

And so on...

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Iceonfire

EDM is sort of win lose with this lockout.

We get to burn Khabi's final year without watching him.

But at the same time, we risk Smid walking away.

Jones will likely re-sign. And Whitney loves it here, although at this point I am not sure if Tambo even gives him a decent offer.

I am fine with burning Gagner's 1 year. It doesn't give him much of a leg to stand on when he is back at the table.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Dylonus

Pittsburgh benefits big time. Our defense is filled with young talent who needed a year of lower league development. The lockout gives them a guaranteed good amount of development without being pushed.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:21 AM
showtime8

Outside of contracts, I think teams that are close to making the playoffs and needed the momentum to continue will hurt.

Calgary Flames will take a hit with an aging team. Jarome needs to be resigned and won't make as much because his window to win is closing and don't think that he walks in free agency.

San Jose might see a hit with both the aging part and contract situations. It will come down to a last year of contracts with Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Boyle while Clowe and Handzus already hitting the market.

Detroit might be a team that re-evaluates where they sit. Datsyuk will get resigned but I have a feeling that Val Filpula might collect elsewhere. Regardless, system still wins here and he can be replaced if he leaves.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:39 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Wild easily benefit.

And a chance at top 5 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Datsyuk will get resigned but I have a feeling that Val Filpula might collect elsewhere.
If you mean re-signed, god damn I hope so.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:04 AM
SenateReform

I feel like Ottawa is benefitting from the extra development time for young guys like z-bad, silverberg, stone and lehner. I wish cowen wasnt injured so he could play as a #1 in the ahl.

Very different from the last lockout when the sens missed a contending year with what was probably their best team on paper.

Hossa-Spezza-Alfie
Havlat-Fisher-schaeffer

Redden-chara
Phillips-volchenkov

Hasek

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
GeeoffBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Pittsburgh benefits big time. Our defense is filled with young talent who needed a year of lower league development. The lockout gives them a guaranteed good amount of development without being pushed.
On the other hand, Pittsburgh misses a season in which they have a great roster.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Dan-o16

Isles are big winners. Partly because it gives their youngsters more time to develop. Mostly because it's a year off the primes of the top players in their division (really the league): Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Kovalchuck, Lundqvist.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:57 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Any Cup contender relying on Veterans or ELCs loses bigtime. See Rangers, Nucks, San Jose, etc.

Any team who is in the midst of a rebuild or are not a contender but have solid prospects developing at lower levels wins. See Ottawa, Dallas, Minnesota, Islanders, Anaheim, etc.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
isles, they are forced to give their prospects more time to develop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds4130 View Post
NYI. If there was a season, Niederreiter would probably still be misused and a wasted pick/prospect. In this situation, he has to stay in the AHL and he's tearing it up and regaining his confidence.

Edit: I just realized this is in the Trade Rumors section so this comment doesn't apply.
THIS. THIS. THIS. Nino Niederrieter needs time to develop on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. This will be huge going forward for the Islanders. Also they didnt force Strome into the NHL prematurely.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I can't believe that no one has said Nashville. No team should be happier with the 1st year of Weber's contract being gone.
I believe the first few years had a low base salary with a LARGE signing bonus, therefore they paid that bonus regardless of the season being played or not. It was one of the poison pill type terms that Philly put in hoping that Nashville would find it unacceptable to pay that kind of money while not playing hockey.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
I understand young teams with developing prospects, but there is also a years worth of chemistry and team building that gets lost.

Danglesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote