HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Amerks vs Marlies Sat Dec 15 7:05PM ET

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2012, 02:30 PM
  #51
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming
 
misterchainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/



As per usually the negative spin is front and center for Kevin O and yourself. Someone needs to tell Kevin that earning 5 of 6 points is actually a good thing.

The Amerks just lost in a pretty tough manner and tried to look at positives, like earning 5 of 6 points. But of course that translates into not caring about the loss

You do realize Kevin O. interpreting their comments as not caring about the loss does not mean they didn't care about the loss. Its his take on things, and contrary to your interpretation, is not a fact. In fact it would be nice to see some actual quotes from the players, coaches, etc and not just his spin on their comments so we can interpret them ourselves.


Btw none of this means I have no issues with how they lost and that it shows that they can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of beating the Marlies. Thats definitely disturbing. Its like the reverse of the parent clubs for so many years. But the over the top pronouncement by you that they all have a losers mentality and it goes to the top is just that, an over the top pronouncement.
Yup. And I trust Kevin O's interpretations about as far as I can throw them. Seems every time I go to an Amerks game (or the rare RIT game he writes about) his summary is without fail much, much more negative than I saw the game.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
  #52
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Yup. And I trust Kevin O's interpretations about as far as I can throw them. Seems every time I go to an Amerks game (or the rare RIT game he writes about) his summary is without fail much, much more negative than I saw the game.
I call BS on that one. Examples? His stories are usually bang on. Don't kill the reporter because the team is mediocre and has negative stories about them from time to time. Talk about backwards.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:16 PM
  #53
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming
 
misterchainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I call BS on that one. Examples? His stories are usually bang on. Don't kill the reporter because the team is mediocre and has negative stories about them from time to time. Talk about backwards.
The last game I went to he said the Amerks got "dominated over the last two periods" (it was the 4-2 win where they were never tied and usually ahead by two).

I simply disagree with his overly negative game reports game after game to the point where I don't trust his editorial spin on games I don't go to.

And it's BS that I disagree with his game summaries? Are you trying to tell me my own opinion? : That's fine that you like him and tend to agree with him. I don't. I find his opinions on multiple games I've attended to be overly negative. So sorry if that offends you.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
  #54
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The last game I went to he said the Amerks got "dominated over the last two periods" (it was the 4-2 win where they were never tied and usually ahead by two).

I simply disagree with his overly negative game reports game after game to the point where I don't trust his editorial spin on games I don't go to.

And it's BS that I disagree with his game summaries? Are you trying to tell me my own opinion? : That's fine that you like him and tend to agree with him. I don't. I find his opinions on multiple games I've attended to be overly negative. So sorry if that offends you.
No, I just don't see that his stories are overly negative at all. In fact, I think he's overly positive at times when he shouldn't be. I think it's a classic case of someone calling out the Sabres (at times) and people taking exception to it, just like me on here. In any case, do you remember which game specifically that was?

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:27 PM
  #55
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming
 
misterchainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
No, I just don't see that his stories are overly negative at all. In fact, I think he's overly positive at times when he shouldn't be. I think it's a classic case of someone calling out the Sabres (at times) and people taking exception to it, just like me on here. In any case, do you remember which game specifically that was?
And I do. Hence it's my opinion. It was the 4-2 win over the Devils. I believe it was the Friday after Thanskgiving. Now that I look it was 5-2 with the empty netter.

And really, it's no surprise to me that you find him overly positive at times.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
  #56
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22,259
vCash: 50
I read Kevin O.'s game story, and, as JJ alluded to, if you're going to write something that you know fans are going to seize upon and be very upset about--the "they weren't too upset with the loss, and were quite pleased with themselves over the week they had" issue--I want some quotes suggesting that was the case. Based on that game story, I'm left to think that there weren't any quotes and, in his opinion (and without going into whether a beat writer should be offering opinion in a game story), the locker room wasn't somber enough after a loss like that or some such. Give the reader something to demonstrate the serious point you're trying to convey, rather than giving a "Trust me, I know" perspective.

I don't have an opinion on Kevin O. one way or the other, but I didn't love this game story. In addition to the points raised above, I thought it came off as whiny, and his frustration with the Amerks' struggles against Toronto came through. He came off as a fan, rather than someone who should sound like an objective bystander. Just my opinion, though.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:38 PM
  #57
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Well here's the Albany game story, which mostly centers on Brian Flynn's hat trick.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

I saw one sentence towards the end saying the Devils carried the play the second half of the game, which was true. But it's not a negative article by any means,

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  #58
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming
 
misterchainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Well here's the Albany game story, which mostly centers on Brian Flynn's hat trick.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

I saw one sentence towards the end saying the Devils carried the play the second half of the game, which was true. But it's not a negative article by any means,
Quote:
For the final two periods the Devils dominated play
They did not. No one I went to the game with felt the Devils dominated play for any significant length of time. I read that in the paper at my parents the next day and just kind of laughed.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
  #59
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I read Kevin O.'s game story, and, as JJ alluded to, if you're going to write something that you know fans are going to seize upon and be very upset about--the "they weren't too upset with the loss, and were quite pleased with themselves over the week they had" issue--I want some quotes suggesting that was the case. Based on that game story, I'm left to think that there weren't any quotes and, in his opinion (and without going into whether a beat writer should be offering opinion in a game story), the locker room wasn't somber enough after a loss like that or some such. Give the reader something to demonstrate the serious point you're trying to convey, rather than giving a "Trust me, I know" perspective.

I don't have an opinion on Kevin O. one way or the other, but I didn't love this game story. In addition to the points raised above, I thought it came off as whiny, and his frustration with the Amerks' struggles against Toronto came through. He came off as a fan, rather than someone who should sound like an objective bystander. Just my opinion, though.
Where in his game story did he come off whiny at all? Or are you referring to his blog entry? They're different. He offers up his thoughts and opinions on the blog, but he's supposed to.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:44 PM
  #60
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
They did not. No one I went to the game with felt the Devils dominated play for any significant length of time. I read that in the paper at my parents the next day and just kind of laughed.
Dominated may not be the right word, but they did carry the play. Either way, calling that a negative article is what is laughable. It clearly was not. Obviously mostly focused on Brian Flynn.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:50 PM
  #61
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming
 
misterchainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Dominated may not be the right word, but they did carry the play. Either way, calling that a negative article is what is laughable. It clearly was not. Obviously mostly focused on Brian Flynn.
It was an example from the game this year - of course the article isn't going to be overly negative when they played a great first period and were in complete control for the rest of the game.

But of course, there's no mention of how the Amerks actually did badly outplay Devils in the first period - just a factual description of both the goals....then the absolute gem about the Devils dominating the 2nd two periods, which was frankly laughable. Did they have more zone time? Probably, particularly in the 2nd period. Not even close to domination though.

It's simply something I've noticed with his summaries over the years. He thinks the Amerks play worse than I do. When I feel it's an evenly played game, he feels its slanted in favor of the opponent. There's a constant skew compared to my views of the games I watch.

misterchainsaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  #62
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
That's fine. The one example you provided wasn't negative to me, but there's no reason to continue on about it. I doubt we change each others mind.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
  #63
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 500
As far as "insider knowledge", I think he's the best that the Amerks have. I like to get updates on injuries and scratches before the game, so I usually check out his twitter feed. He also does a decent play by play, on twitter that is. As far as his opinion pieces, yeah they're overtly negative towards management, but if that's what the majority of readers want to hear, then he's not exactly doing the wrong thing. As far as we're concerned, he's probably no worse than Paul Hamilton, Jerry Sullivan, anyone from the Buffalo News or WGR. Most people don't prefer having a loss sugarcoated, so you have to sometimes slant your opinions to please your audience.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  #64
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Huh? They took the lead with 2 minutes to go but then couldn't even hold on giving up the tying goal with 9 seconds to go. Then lose in the shootout. That should be unacceptable. The fact that the team and coach weren't even angry speaks volumes to me. Maybe not you, I guess.

And this was a Marlies team without 4 of its best players.
Actually I think the board would be quite used to it, seeing as the Sabres have made giving up the lead with hardly any time left an artform.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
  #65
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 12,463
vCash: 162



Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
  #66
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22,259
vCash: 50
A few observations watching those highlights:

-Leggio has to stop one of those first two goals. Got beat clean on a slapper from the blueline, and then beat clean on a one-timer from between the top of the circles. Gotta stop one of them, if not both.
-Foligno had the whole net on that 2-on-1 and botched it. I know Marcus doesn't have great hands, but that was a bunny.
-If Brennan takes the body on Frattin, that tying goal never happens. Instead he swipes with his stick and hops in the passing lane, Frattin shoots, collects his own rebound and scores. That, TJ, is why you'll never be an NHL regular.
-Adam looked good from the few highlights I saw. Finally seems to be moving his feet again.
-Good to see Girgensons set up the go-ahead goal.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
  #67
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A few observations watching those highlights:

-Leggio has to stop one of those first two goals. Got beat clean on a slapper from the blueline, and then beat clean on a one-timer from between the top of the circles. Gotta stop one of them, if not both.
-Foligno had the whole net on that 2-on-1 and botched it. I know Marcus doesn't have great hands, but that was a bunny.
-If Brennan takes the body on Frattin, that tying goal never happens. Instead he swipes with his stick and hops in the passing lane, Frattin shoots, collects his own rebound and scores. That, TJ, is why you'll never be an NHL regular.
-Adam looked good from the few highlights I saw. Finally seems to be moving his feet again.
-Good to see Girgensons set up the go-ahead goal.
Agreed with all. Leggio has not been good this year, other than the shootout. Not sure what the issue is.

Everyone in the arena was in disbelief when Foligno missed the open net. Second time this years he's missed an entirely open net.

Very good game from Adam. Had a great spin move at one point in the neutral zone that lead to some offensive zone time.

Brennan is Brennan. Can't play defense. Which makes his pairing with JGL all the more puzzling.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
  #68
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
When you stop and look and realize that there is 0 evidence supporting either claim and the only reason you are slamming the keyboard writing me a response is because you want to see Rochester win and, rightly so, view Toronto's methods as better to achieve that result. Myself, despite being from Rochester, couldn't care less about the Amerks record as long as they sort out 1 defenseman to play with Myers and don't screw up Girgs. At no point will the Amerks ever win a stanely cup and I personally would prefer to see the kids sent out there in the hardest situations. Let them win or lose and then spend heavily in teaching them why it worked or didn't. I don't Blame you for being frustrated but trying to imply facts about NHL player development from losing an AHL game to a better AHL team is little ridiculous. As you stated yourself it's been 1 season for Toronto's method and Hockey U is in it's first season.

So pop a zanex and worry about which 1 is better in 3-4 years when theres actually a sample size to look at. Or if you are diehard Amerks fan, I'm sorry Pegula didn't buy the team to win you a trophy. I would like to be there an Amerks run too.
Not that I feel pitty for Rochester Americans fans(because I don't, it's not like the franchise doesn't have multiple championships) but the Sabres are giving them the typical shaft that a minor league team gets by being owned by the big boys. I wish the NHL teams would stay away and just stick to having affiliations. They kill the fun out of minor league sports. Affiliated leagues are already a double edged sword but when a big league team owns the minor league team it brings frustration.

Why buy a team not to win? I get the guy has billions of cash to blow. I'm not a billionaire so I wouldn't know what it's like but I want to win, I wouldn't buy a team NOT FOR that purpose.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
  #69
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A few observations watching those highlights:

-Leggio has to stop one of those first two goals. Got beat clean on a slapper from the blueline, and then beat clean on a one-timer from between the top of the circles. Gotta stop one of them, if not both.
-Foligno had the whole net on that 2-on-1 and botched it. I know Marcus doesn't have great hands, but that was a bunny.
-If Brennan takes the body on Frattin, that tying goal never happens. Instead he swipes with his stick and hops in the passing lane, Frattin shoots, collects his own rebound and scores. That, TJ, is why you'll never be an NHL regular.
-Adam looked good from the few highlights I saw. Finally seems to be moving his feet again.
-Good to see Girgensons set up the go-ahead goal.
You have a point there but I just had to watch the video for the heck of it to pass time and I would call that initial clearing attempt pretty weak.


Last edited by Sports Enthusiast: 12-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
  #70
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So Kevin O, who has constantly been negative towards the organization, decides they weren't mad enough after this loss. Now they are all losers and it goes all the way to Pegula.

Holy over the top.

I've read in several posts in various Amerks threads from various posters how the Marlies are conquering heroes in the AHL that smite all that come before them. They do everything right and we are a horribly run organization. Yet we only lost in a SO and are only 2 pts behind them in the standings. Thats with a good chunk of our forwards out injured for an extended period of time.

So then the narrative moves on to; they weren't angry enough about the loss.
Seems to me it's a fair arguement. In a year where the NHL is locked out I think I read a recent thread on here that Rochester barely had enough skaters to ice a full roster for a game previously and Buffalo sent them nothing for help. That strikes a little don't careish, no?

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.