HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 07:56 PM
  #151
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
, it sounds like it could get kids who are away from home for christmas a bit down.
You have got to be joking!? Too much clouds will get kids down on Christmas..... maybe they should have stayed home and should pursue another career?

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:02 PM
  #152
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Russian fans have decided to help team Canada, by organizing a flashmob (party of people with powerful flashlights, projectors visiting hotel windows ). Their plan is to light up Canadian life in UFA at any time of the day (OR NIGHT! ahem) and bring happiness to the young Canadian people.

I thought that was funny

It's actually not a joke, apparently a bunch of fans are organizing this after hearing about what the Canadian coach said.

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:34 PM
  #153
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,435
vCash: 2391
I see a lot of people comparing Ufa to Edmonton and saying HockeyCanada is exaggerating.

Having read many of HF's Free Agent speculation threads involving Edmonton, I can safely say that Edmonton is a frozen hellhole where winter that lasts 6 months and there's no sunlight til May, so Ufa must also be a frozen hellhole where winter that lasts 6 months and there's no sunlight til May.


__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
  #154
c9gunner
Registered User
 
c9gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I thought that was funny
I personally donít think that itís funny. Itís a very short term tournament, so for some players itís gonna be very tough to adjust to the jet lag. If these hired sleep specialists think that the tanning lamps can help the players adjust to the time zone difference or compensate the lack of daylight, the whole ďbringing the special tanning lampsĒ matter will make some sense. You probably remember the old saying about people who have the last laugh.

BTW Go Russia Go!

c9gunner is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:57 PM
  #155
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Russian fans have decided to help team Canada, by organizing a flashmob (party of people with powerful flashlights, projectors visiting hotel windows ). Their plan is to light up Canadian life in UFA at any time of the day (OR NIGHT! ahem) and bring happiness to the young Canadian people.

I thought that was funny

It's actually not a joke, apparently a bunch of fans are organizing this after hearing about what the Canadian coach said.
Seriously? That's funny. I love this rivalry. Lol

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 03:45 AM
  #156
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
Seriously? That's funny. I love this rivalry. Lol
TSN better go overboard on this one. They did a decent job on the Panama World Cup Qualifying story, but this better be a national tragedy. I demand entertainment.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 04:03 AM
  #157
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Russian fans have decided to help team Canada, by organizing a flashmob (party of people with powerful flashlights, projectors visiting hotel windows ). Their plan is to light up Canadian life in UFA at any time of the day (OR NIGHT! ahem) and bring happiness to the young Canadian people.

I thought that was funny

It's actually not a joke, apparently a bunch of fans are organizing this after hearing about what the Canadian coach said.
Ah, I remember Polish soccer fans trying to wake up our soccer team during Euro 2012. Now we'll bring light to the Reign of Darkness.

Acallabeth is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 06:17 AM
  #158
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Ah, I remember Polish soccer fans trying to wake up our soccer team during Euro 2012. Now we'll bring light to the Reign of Darkness.
Maybe it worked in Euro 2012! Maybe that's why they played like a bunch of old men!

But hey, the Canadians were concerned about light, why don't we them out!

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 06:32 AM
  #159
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 16,142
vCash: 515
Hockey Canada probably just knew they were going to take a couple draft eligible players having forgotten what that is like after shafting a bunch over the years they had a wait a minute moment and thought do these young guys need nightlights? Well lets just call it artifical light for the daytime.

I have to admit this is a bizarre story although then again these are the kind of problems you can think about when you're Canada. Heck they just cut half a team that along with some of the snubs could maybe medal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 08:40 AM
  #160
c9gunner
Registered User
 
c9gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Ah, I remember Polish soccer fans trying to wake up our soccer team during Euro 2012.
Oh yes. I remember Euro 2012 very well. Do you also remember a bunch of Russian fans wearing soviet military insignia and old USSR flags while marching through the Warsaw city centre in a celebration of Russian Independence Day? That was so bloody funny.

I donít mind trash talking or taunting about the rival teams, and I do enjoy the bragging rights after each Team Russia victory. But I think all this BS should stay outside of the arena. Otherwise you could end up with some fans turning on their flashlights as a joke and other fans aiming their laser pointers to the the eyes of the opposing goalies.

c9gunner is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 03:57 PM
  #161
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
You started it when mentioned Euro 2012 and the Polish fans drumming outside of the hotel. Or you genuinely thought they did because of the good old sporting rivalry between our two countries?

I donít want the Canadian fans to have a reason to start aiming powferful projectors to the opposing team's hotel windows or pointing their flashlights to our players during a game.

By the way, I felt pretty safe wearing a Russian jersey when celebrating our victory in DT Calgary. I just wonder if the Canadian fans would enjoy the same feeling when wandering the streets of Ufa. Just remember that what goes around Ėcomes around. From 2014 to 2021 we will have 4 WHJC in Canada and none in Russia.
Canadian fans are just way too nice to do anything untoward. North American fans in general outside of the northeast corridor of the US are generally nicer than Europeans who take the off field stuff waaaaay too seriously.

I think Canadians should feel safe in Ufa mainly because as an officially sanctioned event in Russia they will be given strong official protection.

I would sadly hesitate if I were a non white skinned person going to certain parts of Russia but fortunately Ufa has been relatively free of incidents.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 04:25 PM
  #162
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Canadian fans are just way too nice to do anything untoward. North American fans in general outside of the northeast corridor of the US are generally nicer than Europeans who take the off field stuff waaaaay too seriously.
2004 World Cup, 2 fire alarms in the night before the game at the hotel where the Finns where staying. It does happen.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 04:55 PM
  #163
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
2004 World Cup, 2 fire alarms in the night before the game at the hotel where the Finns where staying. It does happen.
With all due respect to trying to mess with a team through fire alarms or other pranks, I was talking about fans being stabbed or beaten.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 08:44 PM
  #164
jimmycarter
Registered User
 
jimmycarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
oh, so i guess the kids from ontario don't have to deal with light deprevation then?

this is a tactic being used by the coach to bring them together in a harsh environment. sucks people think this is xenophobia.

signed, a russian living in canada.

jimmycarter is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 09:22 PM
  #165
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
oh, so i guess the kids from ontario don't have to deal with light deprevation then?

this is a tactic being used by the coach to bring them together in a harsh environment. sucks people think this is xenophobia.

signed, a russian living in canada.
Harsh environment?

signed, someone who grew up in the west and was educated in the West, now working in Russia for the past six years.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 01:12 PM
  #166
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 62,467
vCash: 50
I think you guys are missing the point he's trying to make. He's not saying that it's going to be dark 24 hours a day. He's saying that there's a chance the Canadians could be in the dark most of the day, he just worded it badly.

Game on the 26th is at 3:30PM Ufa time. Sunlight is from 10:40-17:54. So by the time the game is finished it'll be dark. Add about an hours preparation before hand and your looking at just over 3 hours sunlight.

He just didn't word it right. Lucky they're not playing at 13:30 otherwise they'd be looking at just under 2 hours sunlight.

Shrimper is online now  
Old
12-16-2012, 01:17 PM
  #167
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Canadian fans are just way too nice to do anything untoward. North American fans in general outside of the northeast corridor of the US are generally nicer than Europeans who take the off field stuff waaaaay too seriously.
You should hit a Raiders games in an opposing jersey some time.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
  #168
c9gunner
Registered User
 
c9gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
and your looking at just over 3 hours sunlight.
My point exactly. Spott didn't mean "darkness", he meant "sunlight/daylight".

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
the tanning lamps can help the players adjust to the time zone difference or compensate the lack of daylight

c9gunner is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:00 PM
  #169
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You should hit a Raiders games in an opposing jersey some time.
I highly doubt that Raiders fans coordinate group attacks on fans in bars with knives on a regular basis.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
  #170
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I highly doubt that Raiders fans coordinate group attacks on fans in bars with knives on a regular basis.
I didn't realize that was where the bar was set.

Try my suggestion anyway, just for kicks.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:34 PM
  #171
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I didn't realize that was where the bar was set.

Try my suggestion anyway, just for kicks.
The NFL bores me, but conversely, I'll do that, if you attend a Red Star Belgrade match with a Partisan jersey. Or attend a Lazio match, wearing a Roma shirt and sitting in the Lazio section.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  #172
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
You started it when mentioned Euro 2012 and the Polish fans drumming outside of the hotel. Or you genuinely thought they did because of the good old sporting rivalry between our two countries?

I donít want the Canadian fans to have a reason to start aiming powferful projectors to the opposing team's hotel windows or pointing their flashlights to our players during a game.

By the way, I felt pretty safe wearing a Russian jersey when celebrating our victory in DT Calgary. I just wonder if the Canadian fans would enjoy the same feeling when wandering the streets of Ufa. Just remember that what goes around Ėcomes around. From 2014 to 2021 we will have 4 WHJC in Canada and none in Russia.
We had both the WJHC and the WHC here in Halifax and I remember us treating the foreign fans well. The Russians beat Canada in both tournaments (the gold medal game of the latter being in Quebec albeit). There were undoubtley bar fights (more to do with drunk men being drunk men) but generally the Russians had no problems in celebrating the win. I did feel like punching out some Germans and Latvians, however. The chants are fun but not for two ****ing hours.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  #173
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The NFL bores me, but conversely, I'll do that, if you attend a Red Star Belgrade match with a Partisan jersey. Or attend a Lazio match, wearing a Roma shirt and sitting in the Lazio section.
Why would I do that?

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
  #174
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser
 
Domhnall Dubh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birthplace of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Meh. Humans are tribalistic; I embrace it. If any caroller comes to my house wearing a Bruins jersey, they do so at their peril.

Domhnall Dubh is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
  #175
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Why would I do that?
To prove my point.

Xokkeu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.