HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Demers to Minnesota

Old
12-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 500
Jason Demers to Minnesota

Even with the Suter signing, Minnesota is still quite weak on defense. With Spurgeon and Gilbert as the only legitmate d-men on the right side, I think we could benefit from acquiring another right handed d-man, something San Jose actually has a decent amount of. These teams seem to be good trading partners, having already made some very significant trades with each other over the last couple years, with Jimmy Sheppard being the biggest obviously.

With Boyle and Burns taking up the 1st and 2nd pairing, it seems that Braun and Demers are destined to do battle over who gets that bottom pairing spot. Now maybe you Shark fans are higher on Demers than Braun, but what would it take to get Demers in a Wild uniform?

Wild prospects that are off limits are Granlund, Brodin, and Coyle (not that it would make sense to trade him back to San Jose less than a year after acquiring him anyway).

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:29 AM
jonlin

While I agree that theese teams are good tradingpartners andWild certainly is in need of D, I dont c SJ trading Demers(young, cheap D with good upside), without Wild giving a top prospect+ or rosterplayer+ back! Wild wont part with Granlund, Brodin or Coyle(Who they got fr SJ anyway...), so I c something like this as the only option:

Wild get:

Demers

SJ get:

Clutterbuck
2nd

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
While I agree that theese teams are good tradingpartners andWild certainly is in need of D, I dont c SJ trading Demers(young, cheap D with good upside), without Wild giving a top prospect+ or rosterplayer+ back! Wild wont part with Granlund, Brodin or Coyle(Who they got fr SJ anyway...), so I c something like this as the only option:

Wild get:

Demers

SJ get:

Clutterbuck
2nd
Clutterbuck AND 2nd is too much, so this would be a "no" from Minnesota. However, it's something that can be worked on. Maybe something like:

Demers
2014 4th

Clutterbuck
Prosser
2013 3rd

Wild gets a good, young D-man and a late round pick that they can use to pick a project player. Sharks get a one-man hitting machine who can chip in offensively, a young depth D-man who plays with a lot of heart and aggression and a 3rd on a deep draft.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Wild fans probably won't like it but I'd be willing to part with Scandella if it meant having him as part of a package that would get us Demers. I like Stoner better in our bottom pairing than Scandella and Brodin is likely to beat out Scandella in a year or two anyway. Hell, maybe even Connolly or Genoway could replace Scandella in the line-up.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Wild fans probably won't like it but I'd be willing to part with Scandella if it meant having him as part of a package that would get us Demers. I like Stoner better in our bottom pairing than Scandella and Brodin is likely to beat out Scandella in a year or two anyway. Hell, maybe even Connolly or Genoway could replace Scandella in the line-up.
So wait, you're ready to part with a promising D-man who already has NHL experience and had consistency issues on a Wild team that fell on its face as a whole? Not to mention that he has great chemistry with Tom Gilbert? And you'd replace him with Clayton Stoner (physical bottom pairing D with no upside), Brian Connolly (AHL offensive D) or, God forbid, Chay Genoway (Jared Spurgeon without the tremendous hockey IQ)?

Last edited by spiny norman: 12-16-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: not needed
Old
12-16-2012, 05:07 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Clutterbuck AND 2nd is too much, so this would be a "no" from Minnesota. However, it's something that can be worked on. Maybe something like:

Demers
2014 4th

Clutterbuck
Prosser
2013 3rd

Wild gets a good, young D-man and a late round pick that they can use to pick a project player. Sharks get a one-man hitting machine who can chip in offensively, a young depth D-man who plays with a lot of heart and aggression and a 3rd on a deep draft.
I dont think SJ like the idea of adding to Demers!? Wild need D and SJ knows it. I`m pretty sure Clutterbuck+ is what is needed to get a deal done. It`s not like SJ is gonna sell a young D with upside cheap...

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
I dont think SJ like the idea of adding to Demers!? Wild need D and SJ knows it. I`m pretty sure Clutterbuck+ is what is needed to get a deal done. It`s not like SJ is gonna sell a young D with upside cheap...
That has nothing to do with his actual value. If Wild wants Demers, then they give a prize and it's up to SJ to say yes or no. However, you want a unique player who hits hard, is a fan favorite and on a cheap contract on your team PLUS a 2nd round pick on an extremely deep draft. Not gonna fly. Clutterbuck's value is far higher than his hit totals or point totals, plus it's not like he's old. Still room to grow. He is still improving on his shot, his hockey sense and he's getting stronger.

Besides, it's not like we NEED to sell him. If you want him, give us Demers and a more reasonable deal. If you don't want to add to Demers and want us to add to Cal, we're giving you a 4th-rounder, maximum. Not a 2nd rounder. If you want a 2nd, you're going to have to add to your offer to balance it out.

But to be honest, we don't really need D. This year is irrelevant already and Brodin will be ready to step in next autumn, if he isn't already. Dumba is a long-term project, but we also have Gunnarsson in SEL who is playing very well and was drafted as an overager this year. He might be ready to make the jump next season as well. Spurgeon is one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now. There's a reason why Mike Yeo penciled him into the 1st pairing with Ryan Suter. He may be small, but he's one of the most intelligent D-men out there, his passing is good, he's very agile and he can make great plays happen.

So, as I said, we don't really desperately need D, and therefore we're not adding any extra to Demers' real value.

As I said, either Clutterbuck+4th or Clutterbuck+Prosser+3rd for your 2014 4th and Demers. The value is fair, take it or leave it.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:58 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
So wait, you're ready to part with a promising D-man who already has NHL experience and had consistency issues on a Wild team that fell on its face as a whole? Not to mention that he has great chemistry with Tom Gilbert? And you'd replace him with Clayton Stoner (physical bottom pairing D with no upside), Brian Connolly (AHL offensive D) or, God forbid, Chay Genoway (Jared Spurgeon without the tremendous hockey IQ)?
I think he is playing Demers up the lineup and looking at the other two as the PP type guys? At least that is how I followed it, Demers is an upgrade over Scandella for me at least I thought it made sense.

Last edited by spiny norman: 12-16-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: qmep
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
hlaverty06

Do you like any devils prospects? I'd love to have clutterbuck

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
freddypuck

Demers is allot better than we think, if SJ gives him up , Wild would get a solid guy , In Finland he is having great season ,Points, minutes played, plus minus etc.....what a steal if minny gets him for Clutterbuck

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Arrch

It's funny because we were offering up Demers for Clutterbuck last season and Wild fans said no. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that deal anymore before we see Demers back in North America.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Vaasa

As far as I'm concerned, Demers is not available. Boyle may be gone soon as a cap hit, if not for other reasons; and Demers is the only guy on the SJ roster who plays a similar style (if not the skill). But Demers definitely has Top-4 upside and I think is showing what he can do if given regular minutes and the opportunity in Finland (which he didn't get last year).

For me, the Sharks right-side of the future is Burns, Demers, and probably Braun or one of the other prospects.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
No deal unless you take back Sheppard

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
No deal unless you take back Sheppard
No deal unless you take back Seto.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Personally, although Braun was definitely the better defenseman last season, I think Demers has so much more upside. Braun is almost assuredly going to be a decent #4-5 guy, but I think Demers has good #3 upside. He's got tons and tons of talent, and he's gaining back the confidence that he lost last season with some amazing play in Finland during the lockout, scoring at about a .75 ppg pace.

I'm with Vaasa, Demers is practically unmovable, unless it's in a package for a better young forward. Braun-Demers is likely to be the third pairing next season.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
If you're not opposed to trading Scandella, the Islanders would love to have him

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Chips*

Leafs have some expendable D if Clutterbuck is coming back.

Liles / Gunnar + pick/prospect

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Although a player like Clutterbuck is definitely needed on this team, Demers has too much upside. As other posters have said, we don't have any D prospects other than Demers to replace Boyle. Demers can be really good with a proper partner.

Braun can be had though. He's a solid #5, decent #4 defenseman that can move the puck. He doesn't have as much upside as Demers and is more replaceable. What would we add to Braun to get Clutterbuck?

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Kershaw

Hagelin for Demers.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
3rdlineglory
Korsi Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Hagelin for Demers.
I would prefer Dan Boyle tbh.

3rdlineglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I wonder what it would take to get Y. Weber from Montreal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Although a player like Clutterbuck is definitely needed on this team, Demers has too much upside. As other posters have said, we don't have any D prospects other than Demers to replace Boyle. Demers can be really good with a proper partner.

Braun can be had though. He's a solid #5, decent #4 defenseman that can move the puck. He doesn't have as much upside as Demers and is more replaceable. What would we add to Braun to get Clutterbuck?
Darn, I knew this thread would head in that exact direction, but I understand why San Jose would like to keep Demers. I'd still be interested in Braun though as he's also definitely an upgrade over Prosser.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
I would prefer Dan Boyle tbh.
So would I. Hagelin for Boyle, but I doubt SJ would do that.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
So would I. Hagelin for Boyle, but I doubt SJ would do that.
Hagelin could be a starter if the Sharks were retooling, but yeah, doesn't make too much sense from SJ considering they're still trying to compete.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:27 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

I believe Justin Braun is, and will be, better than Demers by a significant margin. Demers has more offensive potential, but Braun is so much better defensively. Demers is expendable because of Braun and the development of other defensemen like Acolatse, Abelthauser, Tennyson, and DeMelo. I would do Hagelin or Clutterbuck easily.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Connolly, as in Brian Connelly? He won't be beating anyone out anyone for NHL jobs.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote