HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Your Most Underrated Prospect

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2012, 05:19 PM
  #126
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
A possible 2nd line centre with first line upside vs a sure fire bust.
I see him as a 2nd line center and I think most see it that way (except from the jokes)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
  #127
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
I disagree. Maybe it's because I'm in Boston but Gaudreau seems to get a lot of attention. I think the Flame's most underrated prospect is Wotherspoon, a personal favorite. Loved watching him in the SSS
Outside of the Calgary board and I guess Boston almost no one talks about him, and if they have heard of him most don't think he will be that good because of his size.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
  #128
Haatley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I see him as a 2nd line center and I think most see it that way (except from the jokes)
I reckon you didnt see the prospects who will bust thread.

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
  #129
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,834
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
I reckon you didnt see the prospects who will bust thread.
I would wager that a major of those were
a) Oiler fans
b) Posters that generally bash the flames

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:26 AM
  #130
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
For Vancouver it was definetly Corrado but after the camp he turned alot of heads.

I don't know if Tanev still constitutes as a prospect but I would say he is up there, even some of our fans underrate the reliability he brings.

If he doesn't count or is well known then another choice of mine would be Connaution.


Also for Winnipeg I would say Scott Kosmachuk.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:12 AM
  #131
Spectrefire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
For Vancouver it was definetly Corrado but after the camp he turned alot of heads.

I don't know if Tanev still constitutes as a prospect but I would say he is up there, even some of our fans underrate the reliability he brings.

If he doesn't count or is well known then another choice of mine would be Connaution.


Also for Winnipeg I would say Scott Kosmachuk.
Tanev and Corrado are our top two defensive prospects at the moment, so I'd hardly consider them underrated.

Evan McEneny would be my choice. He was our FA signing this season, an 18 year old dman playing for the Kitchner ranger. He went undrafted because of a season ending injury during his draft year, but was projected to be a top two round pick. He had a slow start to the season with 3 points in 14 games, but I think that can be attributed to his getting back from his injury. He really picked up as of late, with 12 pts in his last 20 games. He's marketed as an OFD with NHL ready size and right now, I'd say his value is trending upwards.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:48 AM
  #132
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Tanev and Corrado are our top two defensive prospects at the moment, so I'd hardly consider them underrated.

Evan McEneny would be my choice. He was our FA signing this season, an 18 year old dman playing for the Kitchner ranger. He went undrafted because of a season ending injury during his draft year, but was projected to be a top two round pick. He had a slow start to the season with 3 points in 14 games, but I think that can be attributed to his getting back from his injury. He really picked up as of late, with 12 pts in his last 20 games. He's marketed as an OFD with NHL ready size and right now, I'd say his value is trending upwards.
It's league wide though, I think alot of people now know how good Corrado is after his stellar selection camp, so he has jumped out of that unknown shadow, but I still have the feeling alot of other fans don't know how good Tanev really is.

I agree though on McEneny, I really like him it was a great pickup. He has great size and all the other tools, skating ability, aswell as good defensive ability (Since he is widely considered a more offensive minded defensemen)

I think he would have gone in the 2nd - 4th Round range (More likely 3rd/4th but maybe late 2nd) So to get that in a UFA signing is great.

Managment probably think the same thing (That he is the eqvialent of a 2nd/3rd/4th Round pick) But don't want want to say that our in public so soon since we haven't seen all that much form him.

Either way I agree, not sure he is our most unkown I would say K-Conn is still a bit more unknown (For how good he is) But McEneny is right there aswell.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:21 AM
  #133
English stars fan
Registered User
 
English stars fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
For the Stars, it's probably Reilly Smith, drafted 3rd round 2009. The former Hobey Baker finalist and has just won rookie of the month (December) in the AHL. He had a really slow start in the pro's (3a in 15gp) but has just been on fire lately and has a real eye for goal, 10g+7a in his last 17 games.

Has the ceiling to be a top line winger and should definitely be a top 6 player.

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  #134
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,892
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
For the Stars, it's probably Reilly Smith, drafted 3rd round 2009. The former Hobey Baker finalist and has just won rookie of the month (December) in the AHL. He had a really slow start in the pro's (3a in 15gp) but has just been on fire lately and has a real eye for goal, 10g+7a in his last 17 games.

Has the ceiling to be a top line winger and should definitely be a top 6 player.
A lot of our wingers are underrated, you could make a case for any of Stransky, Chiasson, R. Smith, even Ritchie.

But Guptill takes the cake for me.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
  #135
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again
 
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Game on
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
For the Oilers: Yakupov.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
  #136
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Outside of the Calgary board and I guess Boston almost no one talks about him, and if they have heard of him most don't think he will be that good because of his size.
He's a Jersey kid thats well known in the area too. He's blown up this year with the way he's playing for BC.

I'll go with Slepyshev. Undrafted and you don't hear about teams going after him. Then Andrei Makarov.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:30 AM
  #137
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Also for Winnipeg I would say Scott Kosmachuk.
I'd say Lowry over Kosmo for sure. The only way i consider Kosmo over Lowery is if other fans are more aware of Lowry then i think they are.... both are looking like legitimate prospects from the later rounds

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
  #138
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Alex Petrovic - FLA
Scott Kosmachuk - WPG

Before the season, i would have said Brett Ritchie.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
  #139
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,946
vCash: 500
nazem kadri

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
  #140
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,578
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
For the Oilers: Yakupov.
Yep. It's crazy to think a 1st overall pick could be underrated, but its true

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
  #141
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,788
vCash: 500
For Minnesota, I think somebody mentioned Gustafsson before, but Erik Haula is another one.

7th round pick, a bit undersized, but he had 49 points in 43 games playing a WCHA schedule as a sophomore last year and is ahead of that pace this year.

Also plays a very well rounded game, not entirely offensively oriented.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:25 PM
  #142
General Granny*
 
General Granny*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
For the sens

Ryan Dzingel and Sdao

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  #143
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,064
vCash: 500
Laleggia leading defenseman in scoring in the NCAA

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
  #144
luby3131
Registered User
 
luby3131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Parkland, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Corban Knight is a good name. Panthers prospect, a 5th round pick in 2009, is having a phenominal senior season at North Dakota, yet 95% of our fans have no idea who he is. Maybe that will change if he starts to get more Hobey Baker hype, but he is definitely underrated. Definsively responsible, has some pest in him, and put up 8-17-23 in 17 games this year after having 16-24-40 in 39 games last year

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
  #145
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,892
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Yep. It's crazy to think a 1st overall pick could be underrated, but its true
Most of us think he'll score 35-40 goals a year... there's no way in hell that's underrated.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
  #146
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,578
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Most of us think he'll score 35-40 goals a year... there's no way in hell that's underrated.
That's not underrated, but it seems like despite him ripping up the KHL, a lot of people are calling him a bust. Just look at some of the comments on the trade board

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:12 AM
  #147
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,659
vCash: 500
Josh Leivo, Tom Nilsson

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:18 AM
  #148
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
For the Oilers: Yakupov.
ive mostly seen him referred to as a sure fire 50 goal scorer...

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:29 AM
  #149
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,767
vCash: 2616
Jaskin. Kid is tearing the Q a new one. If he fills out that big frame to 225 or more, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 02:39 AM
  #150
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Hrvik

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.