HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
I really like Stuart Percy's game. He has really struggled as of late but again with young prospects inconsistency is expected. I do believe he will be in the AHL next year. If he gets traded to any team, I'd say Oshawa is around the top of that list.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Sarnia Sting send OA Craig Hottot (who previously walked away from the team) to Mississauga for a 2013 3rd round pick (Belleville's) and a 2015 6th round pick. Via the Sarnia Sting twitter account.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Sarnia Sting send OA Craig Hottot (who previously walked away from the team) to Mississauga for a 2013 3rd round pick (Belleville's) and a 2015 6th round pick. Via the Sarnia Sting twitter account.
I guess we are buyers.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Steel Toe

I like this trade , we needed to make a move and he fits well in the top lines. He has to be on the 1st line right? They would bump Burnside down to second I'm assuming. Hottot will bring offensive skill and a needed edge upfront. Smoks , Brace, Hottot looks like a good line...

Old
12-14-2012, 04:02 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
I like this trade , we needed to make a move and he fits well in the top lines. He has to be on the 1st line right? They would bump Burnside down to second I'm assuming. Hottot will bring offensive skill and a needed edge upfront. Smoks , Brace, Hottot looks like a good line...
Putting Hottot on the first line wouldn't solve their secondary scoring issue. They may be better served breaking up the number one.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 12-14-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
12-15-2012, 07:27 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I guess we are buyers.
I don't get it??? Gave up 2 picks for an OA that's only going to be with the team for 2-3 months. That indicates buyers, but it's not going to be enough. Are they just trying to ensure a playoff spot or is this an actual attempt to go further?

Old
12-15-2012, 08:05 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I don't get it??? Gave up 2 picks for an OA that's only going to be with the team for 2-3 months. That indicates buyers, but it's not going to be enough. Are they just trying to ensure a playoff spot or is this an actual attempt to go further?
Well trade deadline still hasn't hit yet. Plus the East is pretty wide open this year so you never know. The Hottot deals does make them buyers.

Old
12-15-2012, 10:03 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Well trade deadline still hasn't hit yet. Plus the East is pretty wide open this year so you never know. The Hottot deals does make them buyers.
The Hottot deal clearly indicates they're not throwing in the towel and nor should they. Another decisive win tonight and this team has definitely shown they can bounce back and maintain consistency. Don't ever count these guys out in the stretch run.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
The Hottot deal clearly indicates they're not throwing in the towel and nor should they. Another decisive win tonight and this team has definitely shown they can bounce back and maintain consistency. Don't ever count these guys out in the stretch run.
James Boyd has some serious thinking to do over the next few weeks. Are they Buyers or Sellers? Three weeks ago, they were serious contenders for the East and definitely buyers.

However, over the last 3 weeks, they have been sliding, and now are only 5 points out of the cellar in their own division. They will still make the playoffs, but may not be strong enough to win the East. It seems like their Defence and Goaltending have faltered, and their Offence has slowed down.

The team seems to be not competing hard, and I cant remember the last time one of their known fighters has had a fight. Either they have become complaicant, or not playing for James Boyd.

Graves, Carrick, Cord have to start throwing their weight around, both physically and with fights.

The team doesnt have enough goal scorers or offensive minded players to carry the team if the Defence falters.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:15 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
James Boyd has some serious thinking to do over the next few weeks. Are they Buyers or Sellers? Three weeks ago, they were serious contenders for the East and definitely buyers.

However, over the last 3 weeks, they have been sliding, and now are only 5 points out of the cellar in their own division. They will still make the playoffs, but may not be strong enough to win the East. It seems like their Defence and Goaltending have faltered, and their Offence has slowed down.

The team seems to be not competing hard, and I cant remember the last time one of their known fighters has had a fight. Either they have become complaicant, or not playing for James Boyd.

Graves, Carrick, Cord have to start throwing their weight around, both physically and with fights.

The team doesnt have enough goal scorers or offensive minded players to carry the team if the Defence falters.
I don't think it's a case that this team has gotten worse. It's a case that the others have found their potential. This is exactly what happened last year. Enough winning in the beginning of the season when everyone was fresh and eager, to help get them to playoffs, but not enough of anything to keep them going.

I agree that there is less of something (drive, effort, effectiveness as a coach), however, I disagree that it's a back end problem. Take a look at the game last night. Twice Cord and Diodati had to stand there yelling for someone to come and work the breakout. The breakout should be an automatic thing by now no matter what line. That's fundamental hockey. Of course the D look bad, the lack of support from the forwards makes it look like a D issue. Break it down and take a good look, many of the goals against are because a forward didn't pick up their guy. When in your own end, everyone is D at some point.

I still contend that they should be sellers not buyers.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I don't think it's a case that this team has gotten worse. It's a case that the others have found their potential. This is exactly what happened last year. Enough winning in the beginning of the season when everyone was fresh and eager, to help get them to playoffs, but not enough of anything to keep them going.

I agree that there is less of something (drive, effort, effectiveness as a coach), however, I disagree that it's a back end problem. Take a look at the game last night. Twice Cord and Diodati had to stand there yelling for someone to come and work the breakout. The breakout should be an automatic thing by now no matter what line. That's fundamental hockey. Of course the D look bad, the lack of support from the forwards makes it look like a D issue. Break it down and take a good look, many of the goals against are because a forward didn't pick up their guy. When in your own end, everyone is D at some point.

I still contend that they should be sellers not buyers.
th
Why I refer to the Defence, is because they along with the goalier were the nucleus and strength of the team during its winning period. Now they seem to have slipped a bit, and it doesnt mean they are not playing good, but just not as good as before.

The offence is minimal at most, and most of their offence capitalizes on other team's giveaways and rebounds. They dont have much offence, and havent had much over the last few years, unless it was from the players that they traded for- Shugg, Smoskovitz, etc...

They seem to draft players that compete alot and are character kids, but dont seem to have the skill set. That's just the Mississauga way.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
I see Hottot got another check to the head penality.I hope he doesnt become a liability with the Steelheads as he was with the Sting.His lack of effort and dumb penalities are the reason he and the coach didnt get along plus he lost the confidence of the fans

Old
12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I see Hottot got another check to the head penality.I hope he doesnt become a liability with the Steelheads as he was with the Sting.His lack of effort and dumb penalities are the reason he and the coach didnt get along plus he lost the confidence of the fans
He can bring grit and some offence, and it didnt cost Steeleheads much. But your right, if he becomes a penalty liability, then it is all for not.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
superspitfan99

Pretty quiet our there in Steelheads land. Buyers? Sellers? Predictions?

Old
12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Torts

Quote:
Pretty quiet our there in Steelheads land. Buyers? Sellers? Predictions?
I heard in the trade rumours thread that Teskey wanted out. Dunno what they will get for him. if they could create a package that brings back a roster player that would be ideal.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:46 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
I heard in the trade rumours thread that Teskey wanted out. Dunno what they will get for him. if they could create a package that brings back a roster player that would be ideal.
Heard the same, but I doubt they will get anything for him. I think he thinks he's more of a hockey player than he is. He'd definately not fetch much so I think you're right and he'll need to be packaged with someone else.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
NHL Fanatic

If you package Teskey and Graves together you could possibly attract more teams but on the other side you have to think about next year with the abundance of 93's on the roster.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
If you package Teskey and Graves together you could possibly attract more teams but on the other side you have to think about next year with the abundance of 93's on the roster.
With 7 93's on the team currently, one would think that they might look at some trades there.

Assuming that Percy and DeMelo may possibly be gone next year, that still leaves Smoskowitz, Kontos, Diodati, Foy and Teichman. I can't see them dealing out Smoskowitz, Diodati would then be the senior guy on the back end and with Cord, Demelo and Percy gone that would leave a pretty sparse back end. An OA goalie is always good to have so I would throw a guess out there that Kontos and Foy might be up for grabs.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:07 PM
NHL Fanatic

Unless they get lucky and Tampa sends Vasilevski to Mississauga, it would make sense to keep Kontos, Smoskowitz and Diodati

Old
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Torts

i think OA's next year have to be Smosky, Kontos with Foy or Diodati taking the last spot. I'd rather Foy as Diodati has proved useless this year. A move to acquire an OA dmen in the offseason may work. I also can't see them keeping Teichmann. Carty was drafted in last years draft and should be ready to back up Martin.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
i think OA's next year have to be Smosky, Kontos with Foy or Diodati taking the last spot. I'd rather Foy as Diodati has proved useless this year. A move to acquire an OA dmen in the offseason may work. I also can't see them keeping Teichmann. Carty was drafted in last years draft and should be ready to back up Martin.
You're right, I did forget about Foy. I would keep Foy, Kontos, & Smoskowitz if they can bring in Vasilevski. I heard the lines were changed up. It will be interesting to see if they can generate more offense.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
You're right, I did forget about Foy. I would keep Foy, Kontos, & Smoskowitz if they can bring in Vasilevski. I heard the lines were changed up. It will be interesting to see if they can generate more offense.
I would keep Smoskovitz and Diodati as they are harder to replace. Foy and Kontos are dime a dozen players and can be had anywhere.

This weekend will be the determining factor if the Steeleheads are buyers or sellers. I still think they should be sellers, no matter what.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:16 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
What is it about Kontos to make everyone think he's better than he is. The kid can skate, but that's about it. I could see Foy staying but not if he's going to get 2nd/3rd line play for a 3rd year. And as for Diodati, he's filled in for injured D fine and if he had the ice time of the other two D lines, maybe he could do a bit more? It's not like Cord is doing anything spectacular other than the odd crushing hit, which Welsh can fill that role now.

Teichmann could go, but only if Martin starts to get more consistent. Right now, Teichmann is the more consistent and better goalie. Were you at the game last night? 4 shots, 2 goals.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Ya, big change...he put Cobbold on the first line with Brace and Smosk and moved Burnside to the line with Kontos. Then he puts Teskey on the PP. What IS that man thinking!?! I can only assume that he's trying to showcase Teskey since there is rumor that he's asked for a trade.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
TSBSoupsta

Seen Steelheads play 3 times this year, including home opener, and seen a few games on TV/online. while that's a small sample size I'm not seeing the same bad performance by Percy that people talk about in this thread. Sure, I'm a Leafs fan, and that probably screws with my judgement a bit, but Percy is the clear anchor of the defense, whether or not we have 8 or 9 d-men who could probably play in our top 6. He seems like the smoothest player out there, he has offensive upside, and he's relatively consistent on both sides of the ice from what I've said. Can anyone shine light on whether or not I'm correct here or if there's something I'm missing here...

Closed Thread