HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
07-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Habituellement on fait notre body workout 3x semaines après 10 minutes de course, mais là Seb est parti 3 semaines en vacances pis j'ferai pas de body workout sans lui... So j'veux juste savoir en attendant lequel est meilleur pour brûler le fat.
Bein, fais juste un autre programme en attendant, même si c'est n'importe quoi. Aucune des deux options est meilleure que l'autre.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Galchenyuk94

Well there's a lockout. I thought I'd give a small update on my progress. I was one of the few that started the first challenge (username formely Sardo). Went from being a fat ass that knew nothing about health and fitness to really embracing the lifestyle. Glad to say I'm in the best shape of my life. Here is my progress over the last two and a half years. It was a slow process, sometimes I thought I wasn't making progress, but pics don't lie.

June 2010 200 lbs (6'0)

March 2011 172 lbs

June 2012 158 lbs

December 2012 180 lbs (time to bulk son)

How are you guys doing

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Huge94

I'm still dieting even after losing 55 lbs. Right now I'm at around 241 at 25% bf. My goal is 220 at 16% before next summer.

Huge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
I'm still dieting even after losing 55 lbs. Right now I'm at around 241 at 25% bf. My goal is 220 at 16% before next summer.
Good job, what kind of program are you following? 21 lbs in 5-6 months should be easy to reach, especially for a guy your size, that's under a lb a week.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
Gonna have to change that username to 'tiny94'

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Good job, what kind of program are you following? 21 lbs in 5-6 months should be easy to reach, especially for a guy your size, that's under a lb a week.
My diet is mainly low carb (no bread, potatoes, rice and pasta) and I workout as much as i can, lots of cardio etc. It's nothing fancy and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Gonna have to change that username to 'tiny94'
Haha I thought about it but it's been my nickname for years, from back when I used to do powerlifting and strongman competitions. I was really into that when I was 17-18 and gained a lot of weight training and eating for that. My friends began calling me Huge for that reason mixed in with the fact that my real name is Hugo.

I just weighed myself again today...240.6 lbs!
I would like to someday, when I lose the fat, go back up to 240 at 15%. I'm fortunately able to pick up the muscle mass quite easily so it's gonna be a challenge but a realistic one. 5'10 240lbs. at 15%, it gon' be good

Old
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Galchenyuk94

Awesome. Powerlifters have such a great base to start with. Hugo Girard used to do strongman and he transformed himself into a BBer. Guy is yoked outta his mind.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Huge94

Yeah though I won't do any BB, I just like lifting heavy weights and being healthy.

I have met Hugo Girard as he was my idol back in my (and his) strongman days. One you could also look out for too is Dominic Filiou. He used to do storngman but didn't like it. Believe it or not, he was 2.00m 200kg (that's 6'6'' 440 lbs.) and he is now doing bodybuilding....at around 360 lbs. That's the guy at that weight:

Old
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Galchenyuk94

Damn that guy is huge. But does he really compete? I can't see him doing well against the other IFBB pros. He should use what God gave him and keep doing strongman.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Never posted in here, I just might.

When I was a teen, I played hockey and I was fit like hell, I hurt myself and stopped playing and I ballooned up to 300+. I'm in my 30's now.

I gave myself the resolution for 2012 to drop some weight.

We're almost done with the year. I weight 275 down from 315. And that 40 pounds lost includes 30 pounds that I lost twice, meaning I lost it, regained it and lost it again, and then 10 pounds more.

Another 40 pounds in 2013 would be awesome, I'd start thinking about playing again for sure. But I'm always thinking, man, what if I hadn't taken that 30 pounds back, I would have lost 70 and weight 245 right now....

I eat well, go to the gym and walk.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Never posted in here, I just might.

When I was a teen, I played hockey and I was fit like hell, I hurt myself and stopped playing and I ballooned up to 300+. I'm in my 30's now.

I gave myself the resolution for 2012 to drop some weight.

We're almost done with the year. I weight 275 down from 315. And that 40 pounds lost includes 30 pounds that I lost twice, meaning I lost it, regained it and lost it again, and then 10 pounds more.

Another 40 pounds in 2013 would be awesome, I'd start thinking about playing again for sure. But I'm always thinking, man, what if I hadn't taken that 30 pounds back, I would have lost 70 and weight 245 right now....

I eat well, go to the gym and walk.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about losing 30 pounds and gaining it back?

I'll be moving into a new apartment in a few months, and I'll be putting together a small home gym to get myself fit. Punching bag and weights. Hope I can say I lost 30 pounds by this time next year . I'm 6'3 and 255ish

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Damn that guy is huge. But does he really compete? I can't see him doing well against the other IFBB pros. He should use what God gave him and keep doing strongman.
So did everyone who met him, but he never liked strongman. He only did it because... well because he's ****ing enormously strong. He could have been one of the best in the world but all he really wanted was to do BB. But yes he does compete, as far as i know, but no he isn't very good. The experts say something along the lines that his joints are too big, not enough definition and he's just too damn enormous. Think about it, 360 lbs,...at like 10% bf. It's insane.

On topic, everyone who has lost weight this year or plan on doing so next year, I salute you. It takes one to know one. I'm in a position to say it's very difficult to lose weight and it takes insane motivation and discipline. I need another 20 or so lbs to lose before I reach my goal of 220 at 15% and hearing about others reaching their goal is always encouraging.

We can do it!

Old
12-18-2012, 06:46 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

A few years ago, I was doing very little activity, I was 5'7" 204 lbs with a body-fat percentage of nearly 20%.

Now, a year-and-a-half later, I've slimmed down a lot and added lots of muscle. I'm now 5'10" 176 lbs with a body-fat percentage of just over 13%.

Since I'm still in school, I don't have much time to go to a gym, but I do have some things at home that I use.

My goal for the summer (or May, because that's when rugby season starts) is to be about the same weight I am now, but with a body-fat percentage of 10-10.5%

Does anybody have any good suggestions for efficient ways at home to lose stomach fat? Because I have a little bit left that I want to get rid of. Thanks.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
A few years ago, I was doing very little activity, I was 5'7" 204 lbs with a body-fat percentage of nearly 20%.

Now, a year-and-a-half later, I've slimmed down a lot and added lots of muscle. I'm now 5'10" 176 lbs with a body-fat percentage of just over 13%.

Since I'm still in school, I don't have much time to go to a gym, but I do have some things at home that I use.

My goal for the summer (or May, because that's when rugby season starts) is to be about the same weight I am now, but with a body-fat percentage of 10-10.5%

Does anybody have any good suggestions for efficient ways at home to lose stomach fat? Because I have a little bit left that I want to get rid of. Thanks.
Insanity works well for those who have no gear. Not my preferred workout, but it will strip off some stubborn fat and get you in shape.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about losing 30 pounds and gaining it back?

I'll be moving into a new apartment in a few months, and I'll be putting together a small home gym to get myself fit. Punching bag and weights. Hope I can say I lost 30 pounds by this time next year . I'm 6'3 and 255ish
Hey hope this works out for ya, I think the most important thing, IMO, is the cardio.

I lost 30 pounds, felt good about myself, started thinking I could reward myself with junk food and take days off, and before I knew it I was back where I started. It was discouraging but at the same time, it made for a hell of a goal to get back to where I was, totally accessible too since I already had lost that much before.

Now, lesson learned, I didn't do that again this time :-p

Snow-shovelling, if you have a fairly long drive-way, is a good exercice I'm thinking. I'm always sweaty after doing it.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 12-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

There's no secret recipe really..It's all about nutrition. You can start losing weight just by eating healthier. That's it. You want to maximize your weight loss? Then start sleeping well and exercising. Everyone has a theory as to what is the best way to exercise, but the most important thing while doing them is not to get bored. So, find something you like, and keep doing it.
The rest is all about nutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Hey hope this works out for ya, I think the most important thing, IMO, is the cardio.

I lost 30 pounds, felt good about myself, started thinking I could reward myself with junk food and take days off, and before I knew it I was back where I started. It was discouraging but at the same time, it made for a hell of a goal to get back to where I was, totally accessible too since I already had lost that much before.

Now, lesson learned, I didn't do that again this time :-p

Snow-shovelling, if you have a fairly long drive-way, is a good exercice I'm thinking. I'm always sweaty after doing it.
I think you missed the point.
You said it yourself, you ate junk and before you know it, back on square 1.
Nutrition is the most important part of either weight loss or gain.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nutrition is the most important part of either weight loss or gain.
I can vouch for that. Out of the 55 lbs. I lost, half were lost without any exercise. I could never go to the gym, only changed my eating habits. Now I haven't eaten junk food in years and don't miss it the slightest.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Galchenyuk94

I always say to everybody who asks me... theres 3 keys to do it.

Cardio, nutrition and weight training. Pick 2/3 if you want to get in shape. If you do 3/3 it's even better and results come in no time.

As for me I despise cardio, I almost never do it. When I cut I do some HIIT because I get it over with fast. To keep my heart healthy and get it pumping I like to to supersets and even tri-sets

Old
12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post

You can't spot reduce fat. Lots of guys lose fat in their bellies last, it sucks but that's the way it is. Once your body needs it and there's nothing else to burn, it will start burning your stomach fat. Just be patient and keep at it. Try HIIT to shock it, IMO HIIT is the best way to lose fat.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Guys I have 2 problems and I hope some of you might help me.

1st problem: My chest doesn't grow or grows very slowly. I hit it hard though but it still lags behind other muscles like my shoulders even though I train them once every two weeks. What can I do to get a big chest and really isolate the chest when doing presses? I do 4 sets for 4 exercices of barbell bench press, incline dumbbell press, pec-deck flyes, chest press machine.

2nd problem: When I'm doing close grip bench presses I don't really feel like my triceps are worked at all. I'm using a 10-15 cm wide grip and dropping the bar to my nipples. Am I doing the exercise correctly?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Huge94

Absolutely about HIIT.

I do 20 min cardio usually, sometimes 25. I do 1m30 of quick jogging, 30s of sprint. It works wonders!

Old
12-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Guys I have 2 problems and I hope some of you might help me.

1st problem: My chest doesn't grow or grows very slowly. I hit it hard though but it still lags behind other muscles like my shoulders even though I train them once every two weeks. What can I do to get a big chest and really isolate the chest when doing presses? I do 4 sets for 4 exercices of barbell bench press, incline dumbbell press, pec-deck flyes, chest press machine.

2nd problem: When I'm doing close grip bench presses I don't really feel like my triceps are worked at all. I'm using a 10-15 cm wide grip and dropping the bar to my nipples. Am I doing the exercise correctly?
What I noticed is that everyone has their good and bad body parts. Very few grow easily everywhere, those that do are genetic freaks. For a guy with my small frame, I have a good chest and back. My arms though are tiny, so I have the same problem as you do in trying to find ways to get them to grow.

For chest, what works for me though, is really feeling the burn and getting a good pump as opposed to killing it with low reps and big weight. For that reason I like drop sets for chest. It's not practical when you're benching to start unloading some weight so what I do is after you're done your set of barbell press (12ish reps), immediately follow up with as many push ups as you can do, when you can't do anymore pushups drop to your knees and do as many girl push ups as you can do. Yeah you look like a **** when the hot girl walks by and you're shaking doing girl pushups and eventually collapse though .

As for the close grip bench, my guess is your triceps are stronger then your chest, so in order to do a weight that would make you feel your tri's, your chest couldnt follow. Just do other exercises for triceps, there's so many good ones!

Old
12-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
What I noticed is that everyone has their good and bad body parts. Very few grow easily everywhere, those that do are genetic freaks. For a guy with my small frame, I have a good chest and back. My arms though are tiny, so I have the same problem as you do in trying to find ways to get them to grow.

For chest, what works for me though, is really feeling the burn and getting a good pump as opposed to killing it with low reps and big weight. For that reason I like drop sets for chest. It's not practical when you're benching to start unloading some weight so what I do is after you're done your set of barbell press (12ish reps), immediately follow up with as many push ups as you can do, when you can't do anymore pushups drop to your knees and do as many girl push ups as you can do. Yeah you look like a **** when the hot girl walks by and you're shaking doing girl pushups and eventually collapse though .

As for the close grip bench, my guess is your triceps are stronger then your chest, so in order to do a weight that would make you feel your tri's, your chest couldnt follow. Just do other exercises for triceps, there's so many good ones!
Thanks man! I already considered changing my rep range to 12 instead of the 5 I was doing but now you have convinced me. Time to leave my ego at home and lift lighter weight but with better form and more reps.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks man! I already considered changing my rep range to 12 instead of the 5 I was doing but now you have convinced me. Time to leave my ego at home and lift lighter weight but with better form and more reps.
My favorite bber, Kai Greene, explains the mind to muscle connection. Drop your lifts and really focus on the muscle you are working. Squeeze it during every rep. Don't worry about that small guy that looks like Justin Bieber next to you pushing more weight then you, at the end of the day he is small and has terrible form and you are growing.

Oh yeah and remember to eat like a freakin' animal. For a while I was so afraid to get fat again that I would limit my cals. So I stalled for a while, and even lost weight. Finally I decided to eat, around 3500 calories. Still no gains. I asked this huge guy at my gym, wtf! Convo went down as follows.

Me: Hey bro why am I not making gains!
Him: Are you eating enough?
Me: Yes, I'm eating 3500 calories a day, 200+ grams of protein
Him: Is it working?
Me: No
Him: So eat more.

So simple. I found my sweet spot, 4200 calorie allows me to make gains and limit fat gain. Find yours and you're good to go.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I always say to everybody who asks me... theres 3 keys to do it.

Cardio, nutrition and weight training. Pick 2/3 if you want to get in shape. If you do 3/3 it's even better and results come in no time.

As for me I despise cardio, I almost never do it. When I cut I do some HIIT because I get it over with fast. To keep my heart healthy and get it pumping I like to to supersets and even tri-sets
Pick 2/3 as long as nutrition is involved. You won't get much gains if you eat like crap, especially not in weight loss.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote