HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Boone Jenner

Old
12-11-2012, 12:51 PM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
You know, usually when a team draft a prospect they had him higher than his draft rank in their own ranking.

So the simple fact that Colombus drafted him instead of another player mean they feel highly about him. Its often the same for signed UFA who does with the team who offers them the most $.

So there is a normal gaps between the asking and bidding price. We understand that.

I just feel that "overpayment" and "untouchable" are strong word in this case.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Jenner isn't untouchable. It's just the cost to acquire him is so high that we (Columbus fans) are saving you time by just saying he is.

The same goes for guys like Johansen, Murray, Atkinson, etc. They're prospects (or recently graduated) and until the organization knows what they have they likely won't be moved. Especially for the Jackets who just finished last and are rebuilding through youth. You simply don't move young players with potential when you are in that situation.

As for what the Jackets need, we have plenty of NHL defensemen, defensive prospects, and 2nd-4th line NHL'ers. They need a star forward or an established #1 goaltender on a decent contract. That won't happen through a trade though and will likely only happen through drafting (we have 3 1st's this year) and developing.

What that means is that the Jackets will likely be a boring team with regards to trades and FA signings for the next year or so. They're mainly going to draft and play with what they have.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:16 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand this.
i am equally sorry that my english level limit my hability to express myself clearly.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Jenner isn't untouchable. It's just the cost to acquire him is so high that we (Columbus fans) are saving you time by just saying he is.

The same goes for guys like Johansen, Murray, Atkinson, etc. They're prospects (or recently graduated) and until the organization knows what they have they likely won't be moved. Especially for the Jackets who just finished last and are rebuilding through youth. You simply don't move young players with potential when you are in that situation.

As for what the Jackets need, we have plenty of NHL defensemen, defensive prospects, and 2nd-4th line NHL'ers. They need a star forward or an established #1 goaltender on a decent contract. That won't happen through a trade though and will likely only happen through drafting (we have 3 1st's this year) and developing.

What that means is that the Jackets will likely be a boring team with regards to trades and FA signings for the next year or so. They're mainly going to draft and play with what they have.
This is the Smartest answer to this.

------

It's these type of 'value of' or 'proposals' that need to be locked down before they even get started. Someone will come in with a proposal (which may have some decent value) but at the price of potential, said team does not even want to consider. So what usually happens? They say, "no, that wont cut it". Then we have a pissing contest between fan bases; however, at the end of the day it is really just a team not wanting to part with potential, but value always gets in the way.

Quote:
i am equally sorry that my english level limit my hability to express myself clearly.
Don't worry , i share the same problem. I know what i want to say....coming across proper is another story.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Habsrule

Habs fan here who has season tickets to the Kitchener Rangers. I have watched Jenner play now a number of times and he has progressed a whole lot over his OHL career.

He is right up there with the league leaders in goals and can play a good defensive game as well. I wish that he was a Habs prospect. I do not think that he will be a star player in the NHL but a very good complimentary first or second liner. I think somewhere between the lines of a Jochen Hecht and a Max Paccioretty. Boone has decent size and uses it to good use. I think that he will be a 45-55 point a season player, year in and year out.

As for trade value I believe that he has more value on the Blue Jackets than any other team. A team would have to overpay for him. If I were to talk trades with the Leafs I would start off with Nazem Kadri strait up for Boone Jenner. Kadri is pretty much NHL ready now and could help Columbus sooner rather than later.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Roadman
Moving On

It isn't just Jenner.

The CBJ just really don't know what they have.... up and down the line up.

Starting at the top they have John Davidson as the new President of Hockey Ops.

A coach that led the team for half the season.

5 acquired Players that have never played for the Jackets, Dubinsky, Foligno, Anisimov, Aucoin and Bobrovsky)

A defensive pair that played very well but missed 20+ games apiece in Tyutin & Nikitin

A defensive pair that project to be team leaders that played 21 and 48 games in Johnson & Wiz.

Kids in the AHL that were regulars last year for one reason or another and may or may not have a place.

So to echo a previous sentiment. Just don't see anything going on trade wise until they can get bodies on the ice and see who goes with who and what the squad looks like. Much less trying to project what the return of a highly valued prospect might be.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:22 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

this is a great explanation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post

Good answer

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Eternal Sunshine

No idea how the hype machine has made a dime a dozen future NHL 3rd liner into a highly sought after prospect. Boggles my mind.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:17 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
No idea how the hype machine has made a dime a dozen future NHL 3rd liner into a highly sought after prospect. Boggles my mind.
Have you ever even watched Jenner? He's not a blue chip prospect, but he's not dime a dozen either. Columbus has a real good prospect on their hands.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:41 PM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Have you ever even watched Jenner? He's not a blue chip prospect, but he's not dime a dozen either. Columbus has a real good prospect on their hands.
Yes, dime-a-dozen prospects do not have that kid's intangibles or leadership.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
if Boone Jenner is an untouchable.

How many players are untouchable in this league?

(Jenner is the 8th best prospect of Colombus according to the latest top 20, while Columbus is 21th in the prospect team ranking)

note: i am all aware of his current good season in the OHL.
Those rankings are garbage. Obviously Ryan Murray is #1. David Savard is basically an NHLer going forward and I don't think his upside is as high as Jenner's. Next are Erixon, Dansk, Tynan and Calvert, and none of them excite me. Erixon has been traded twice already and, IMO, will be a third-pairing+poweplay guy. Calvert is basically a third liner in every reality, even if he finds his scoring in the NHL and, frankly, I think Jenner is going to be better than Tynan as well. Realistically, he should be Columbus' #2-3 prospect, and that's after Murray, who is clearly a blue chip.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:52 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Those rankings are garbage. Obviously Ryan Murray is #1. David Savard is basically an NHLer going forward and I don't think his upside is as high as Jenner's. Next are Erixon, Dansk, Tynan and Calvert, and none of them excite me. Erixon has been traded twice already and, IMO, will be a third-pairing+poweplay guy. Calvert is basically a third liner in every reality, even if he finds his scoring in the NHL and, frankly, I think Jenner is going to be better than Tynan as well. Realistically, he should be Columbus' #2-3 prospect, and that's after Murray, who is clearly a blue chip.
You forgot Cam Atkinson

Also, I don't see how being traded twice has any effect on Erixon's potential.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I could see him having a Mike Ricci like career/impact, only in a lower scoring era, of course.

12-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I love Boone and I made a thread just like this 2 months ago and back then CBJ fans said they would rather keep him. I assume they still have the same opinion. It will be interesting to see during the WJC if Boone is the producer on that line or Biggs. As on of my friends said to me "it is easy to be creative player when you have a monster on your line watching your back."

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
You forgot Cam Atkinson

Also, I don't see how being traded twice has any effect on Erixon's potential.
It doesn't, but he basically forced Calgary to trade him to us and then didn't endear himself enough to us to stick here. I think he'll be a third pairing/PP offensive d-man based on watching him play pre-season plus 20 regular season games for us. To be clear, I'm not insulting your prospects, so much as re-ordering them. I like CBJ and your prospects. I like Erixon too, but I've seen a good amount of him and don't see him being a reliable middle pairing guy as much as a bottom pairing puck mover whose great on the PP. I like Calvert a lot too, but he's going to be a third liner capable of chipping in 15-25 with good speed and forechecking. Savard, to me, is going to be a regular in the NHL this year and is a good d-man, but I wouldn't be as excited about Savard's future as Jenner. Dansk... I don't know a whole lot about, but he's years away the way it takes goalies to develop. So, after that, I'm basically just saying that, long term, I see Jenner as the higher upside than Tynan or Atkinson and a real, exciting prospect. He's exciting to me because even if his offensive doesn't come through in the NHL, he should be a super safe bet to be a solid, two-way third line center with great leadership and enough skill to contribute in a pinch. And that's the safe, minimum bet, to me.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I love Boone and I made a thread just like this 2 months ago and back then CBJ fans said they would rather keep him. I assume they still have the same opinion. It will be interesting to see during the WJC if Boone is the producer on that line or Biggs. As on of my friends said to me "it is easy to be creative player when you have a monster on your line watching your back."
Are we really going to go down that road? Jenner is the player he is with or without Biggs. I'd bet a lot of money he turns out better than him in the future aswell.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Probably many more times than you, and live and in person.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:40 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Are we really going to go down that road? Jenner is the player he is with or without Biggs. I'd bet a lot of money he turns out better than him in the future aswell.
Agreed. Jenner has stood out so much in the Generals games I've watched. Biggs has been alright, but Jenner is a lot better.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I am not going to get into this.... Time will tell...

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote