HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Finland Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
illone84

vCash: 500
Filppula - Koivu - Ruutu
Jokinen - Granlund - Korpikoski
Leino- OJ- Bergenheim (OJ said he quit but he'll be back for 2014)
Hartikainen - Barkov - Joensuu
Hagman

Timonen - Lydman
Pitkanen -Lepisto
Vatanen - Ossi V.
Niskala (Salmela)

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen

Old
11-16-2012, 09:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Now that we know Erkka will be our head coach, I'm going to make a bold prediction.

The man is going to dig up his old contact book, round up all the players who are still active and put together the following dream team...

Lehtonen
Bäckström
Norrena

Timonen - Salo
Nummelin - Lydman
Väänänen - Karalahti
AJ Niemi

S.Kapanen - S.Koivu - Selänne
Peltonen - O.Jokinen - Kallio
Hagman - N.Kapanen - Hentunen
J.Ruutu - M.Koivu - T.Ruutu
Miettinen

Old
11-17-2012, 04:12 AM
ElHefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Now that we know Erkka will be our head coach, I'm going to make a bold prediction.

The man is going to dig up his old contact book, round up all the players who are still active and put together the following dream team...

Lehtonen
Bäckström
Norrena

Timonen - Salo
Nummelin - Lydman
Väänänen - Karalahti
AJ Niemi

Miettinen
Sochi's Olympics are in 2014, not in 2004

Old
11-17-2012, 01:42 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Sochi's Olympics are in 2014, not in 2004
Erkka knows this. It is why he has decided to take along Mikko Koivu and Tuomo Ruutu. They're brilliant young players, he says, and represent the future of Finnish hockey.

He also laments that Teppo Numminen, Aki Berg and Jere Lehtinen decided to end their careers prematurely. They still had plenty of step left in them, according to him.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
joe89

Quote:

Lehtonen
Bäckström
Norrena

Timonen - Salo
Nummelin - Lydman
Väänänen - Karalahti
AJ Niemi

Miettinen
Too young and mittens should be on first line

Old
12-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Muuri

Lolwut no Lehtinen or Numminen? Erkka will talk them into hockey again.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Juuso Puustinen will surprise us all. Just sayin
That would be great. He's born the same day, same year as my brother and i've kept my eyes on him since draft day.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Bloodhound
Regular User

Granlund - Koivu - Jokinen
Timonen/Vatanen - Pitkänen

Filppula - OJ - Ruutu
Timonen/Vatanen - Lydman

Korpikoski - Lehterä - Bergenheim
Niskala - Väänänen

Hagman - Kapanen - Komarov
Lepistö - Järvinen

Nokelainen

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen

Old
12-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsalaFan View Post

Filppula - OJ - Ruutu
Timonen/Vatanen - Lydman

Niskala - Väänänen

Lepistö - Järvinen

Nokelainen

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
God I hate this lineup. Just a nice example how this "Nuori Suomi" -project killed a total generation. No right handnesses at TOP12 offence, and Vatanen only RHD, because every guy had to be from the same mold. Being different was a weakness. Just disastrous thinking.

2018 and the future after that will be so much better. Creative, confident new generation.

Old
12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsalaFan View Post

Filppula - OJ - Ruutu
Timonen/Vatanen - Lydman

Niskala - Väänänen

Lepistö - Järvinen

Nokelainen

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
Why would you take Lehterä? Hagman is also a weird choice.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:00 PM
ElHefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Why would you take Lehterä? Hagman is also a weird choice.
The best Finnish center outside NHL?

Old
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
The best Finnish center outside NHL?
He certainly has scored good amount of points in KHL but hasn't really been that successful in national team. Also I'm not sure if he's the guy for 3rd line center job. I could see Barkov getting a chance or even using Kapanen as 3rd line center. Plus there's atleast Kontiola and Filppula who definitely could challenge for the spot (and probably others I can't remember).

Old
12-16-2012, 03:55 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

IMO our centermen will go:

1. Koivu
2. Filppula/Granlund (other will play wing)
3. Best KHL centre
4. Some good two-way guy

Old
12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Pavel Datsjuk

V.Leino-M.Koivu-J.Jokinen
Pitkänen-Timonen

Granlund-OJ-V.Filppula
Määttä-Lydman

Korpikoski-T.Ruutu-Bergenheim
Vatanen-Salmela

Joensuu-Lehterä-Komarov
Eronen-Väänänen

+Osala, Petrell, Laine, Kontiola, Miettinen, Immonen, N.Kapanen, Aaltonen, Barkov, Teräväinen, Nokelainen, Jaakola, Hagman, Hahl, Haataja , Salminen, Lehkonen, Armia, Pihlström, Hartikainen

Most of them are clearly out unless they play spectacularly.

+T.Laakso, Mäenpää, Lepistö, Kukkonen, Järvinen, Näkyvä

Rinne
Lehtonen
Rask

Old
12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
f1nn

Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Datsjuk View Post
V.Leino-M.Koivu-J.Jokinen
Pitkänen-Timonen

Granlund-OJ-V.Filppula
Määttä-Lydman

Korpikoski-T.Ruutu-Bergenheim
Vatanen-Salmela

Joensuu-Lehterä-Komarov
Eronen-Väänänen

+Osala, Petrell, Laine, Kontiola, Miettinen, Immonen, N.Kapanen, Aaltonen, Barkov, Teräväinen, Nokelainen, Jaakola, Hagman, Hahl, Haataja , Salminen, Lehkonen, Armia, Pihlström, Hartikainen

Most of them are clearly out unless they play spectacularly.

+T.Laakso, Mäenpää, Lepistö, Kukkonen, Järvinen, Näkyvä

Rinne
Lehtonen
Rask
I always get depressed looking at our goalies in comparison to the rest of the team

Old
12-17-2012, 01:09 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nn View Post
I always get depressed looking at our goalies in comparison to the rest of the team
Really?

For me it is the other way around..

Old
12-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
He certainly has scored good amount of points in KHL but hasn't really been that successful in national team. Also I'm not sure if he's the guy for 3rd line center job. I could see Barkov getting a chance or even using Kapanen as 3rd line center. Plus there's atleast Kontiola and Filppula who definitely could challenge for the spot (and probably others I can't remember).
I agree with you on Lehterä. He needs to start producing rather soon on the NT if he wants to be even considered for the Olympics. Barkov and Kontiola are the strongest candidates for the 3rd line center spot at the moment, IMO. Kapanen may not play on the NT anymore.

My offensive lines would look something like this:

Granlund-Koivu-Ruutu
Filppula-OJ-Armia
Korpikoski-Barkov-J. Jokinen
Bergenheim-Kontiola/Nokelainen/X-Komarov

I know OJ's said he won't play on the national team anymore, but Westerlund may have a shot at convincing him to come back. Also, Armia's a long shot and he'd have to be amazing right from the start in the NHL to make the team, but this is more of an ideal lineup, not the most realistic one.

If OJ still refuses to come back, either Filppula or Granlund will center the 2nd line. If Armia doesn't make the team, J. Jokinen could be moved to the 2nd line, Bergenheim to 3rd line and a guy like Joensuu or Hartikainen can take the free 4th line winger spot.

It can be discussed whether Ruutu should be placed on the same line with Koivu anymore, but I think Granlund could benefit from Ruutu's style. Also, that line has no sniper, but then again, how many proven snipers do we have at the moment (besides Teemu, who may not even be playing come 2014)?

Old
12-17-2012, 05:30 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Also, that line has no sniper, but then again, how many proven snipers do we have at the moment (besides Teemu, who may not even be playing come 2014)?
This, I think, is the biggest issue we have coming into these games that's been evident for the last couple of years. We have none.

Tuomo Ruutu is the closest thing of the utility forward mold that one can try to convert into a scorer mold. Jussi Jokinen and Hagman are others, but having these patchwork solutions populate the top-six is far from ideal, or even passable.

This is why some are even clinging to hope that Erkka might be able to convince Teemu to show up one last time. Methinks those are pretty bad delusions though.

Therefore, I've been watching intently any possible rising sniper type we have. Armia, Pulkkinen, Sakari Salminen and others. In fact, I think we should take one of those anyway, no matter if they have other weaknesses that might not make 'em completely ready for best-on-best hockey yet. Our system is based on solid teamwork, so let the others help out in those areas they're lacking, if they just bring something to the table others don't have.

---

And, what's up with you guys bringing Barkov to these lineups? I'm not saying the kid would not be able, he's that good, but the picks are - give or take a few days - exactly a year away. And in the time of that year, everything needs to go better than expected for him to have a realistic shot. Based on pure raw talent he's still a long one, because it isn't going to be enough for a guy like Erkka to just hand him a ticket.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-17-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
rocketxav9

selanne should and will be there imo

Old
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
loudis

My team

Forwards

1. Filppula-M.Koivu-T.Ruutu
2. Korpikoski-S.Koivu-Selänne
3. Lehterä-OJ-Granlund
4. Komarov-Kontiola-Petrell/Hartikainen

+Some noobie like Barkov Armia Pulkkinen....

Defence

1. Pitkänen-Vatanen?
2.Timonen-Salo
3.Lydman-Karalahti

+ Salo gets injured so some noobie- Määttä, Ristolainen? Melart.

Goalies

1. Rinne
2. Lehtonen / Kiprusoff / Backstrom / Niemi / Rask.

OJ is back Selänne still best scorer of finns in NHL every season. No JJ cause loses in battles at boards and behind net and thats the only stradegy Finns have used- before blueline flip the puck to enemys end and skate. Thats why we need experienced ,fast&strong players.

In defence i rather take big boys cause most of top countries forwards are huge.

?= Developed enough to play this level?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

YLE speculates.

I disagree with inserting "unsure" oldtimers. Though if we can move 'em to the "sure" column over the year, it becomes whole another issue.

Also, have to disagree with both the YLE team and loudis that J.Jokinen doesn't have room. Our forward situation hasn't exactly improved (yet) since Vancouver, so there's absolutely no chance whatsoever to drop such a seasoned NHL regular second time a row, unless Barkov and Teräväinen and/or Armia break it in next fall and immediately become Malkin and Teemu vol 2, respectively.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Gaps

Quote:
YLE speculates.

I disagree with inserting "unsure" oldtimers. Though if we can move 'em to the "sure" column over the year, it becomes whole another issue.

Also, have to disagree with both the YLE team and loudis that J.Jokinen doesn't have room. Our forward situation hasn't exactly improved (yet) since Vancouver, so there's absolutely no chance whatsoever to drop such a seasoned NHL regular second time a row, unless Barkov and Teräväinen and/or Armia break it in next fall and immediately become Malkin and Teemu vol 2, respectively.
Agreed. We can't count on the vets to be in this condition come next season. I'm not inserting them into my roster until the fall.

I also disagree with them on giving Lehterä the 2nd line C spot. What has he shown in the NT to earn it? Nothing. He's one of the best offensive centers in the KHL, but unless he produces big time in the WC this spring, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team. I'd rather use O. Jokinen, J. Jokinen or Filppula there. Or even Saku, if I had to decide based on current performance.

YLE also seems to hate Pitkänen, but come on, we all know we can't afford to leave Joni as the 7th D.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
Leino - Koivu - Korpikoski
Filppula/Granlund - Filppula/Granlund - Ruutu
J. Jokinen - Lehterä - Bergenheim
Komarov - Petrell - Hartikainen

Pitkänen - Vatanen
Timonen - Salo
Lydman - Väänänen

Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen

Our D doesn't even look that bad. When Timonen, Salo and Lydman retire, it looks bad.

Last edited by Lapa: 02-13-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

I'm sorry this is going to sound severely stupid and for that I apologize but I know how old Selanne is but it doesn't seem like anyone is penciling him in at any facet. Anyone know what that is? I'm assuming someone does, sorry for my ignorance.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:18 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I'm sorry this is going to sound severely stupid and for that I apologize but I know how old Selanne is but it doesn't seem like anyone is penciling him in at any facet. Anyone know what that is? I'm assuming someone does, sorry for my ignorance.
Well, it's a possibility that Selänne and Saku Koivu are in chosen to the Olympic team. And I would have them gladly if they play next year like they are playing now (certainly an improvement over some of these guys that are put into lineups). I'm going to give it a try:

V.Filppula-M.Koivu.-T.Ruutu
Korpikoski-S.Koivu-Selänne
J.Jokinen-O.Jokinen-Mi.Granlund
Komarov-Kontiola-Bergenheim

Mikko is the clear 1st center but his wingers could chance but I expect one of Filppula and Ruutu to be with him. Other possibilities are Granlund and Jokinen really, Korpikoski too if there are some injuries.

2nd line should have the old guys with some workhorse like Korpikoski who can also score. 3rd line could be an offensive or defensive type of line. I really hope that OJ wants to play for Finland, he would make the center depth better. I can see Ruutu on the wing instead of Granlund if the latter plays better on the top line.

There are a bunch of players who could get to 4th line, only Komarov is a clear lock but he could be on some other line. Kontiola was great in last WC and someone like Joensuu, Hartikainen, Petrell could take Bergenheim's spot. Barkov, Kapanen, Lehterä can be considered for the center role.

Goalkeeping should be fine. Defence worries me the most, Salo and Timonen are good but old, Lydman is ok but he sometimes overtries and it leads to mistakes. Pitkänen is ok too, not great. Väänänen is a lock for bottom pairing. Then there are a bunch of young promising defencemen: Vatanen, Rissanen, Ristolainen, Määttä, Pokka... Can they be trusted in the Olympics already?

Closed Thread