HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Question regarding the "Punch-up in Piestany" Canada vs. Soviet 1987

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
  #1
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.
 
Lexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 500
Question regarding the "Punch-up in Piestany" Canada vs. Soviet 1987

HWC just uploaded a (watchable) video of this famous brawl that occured 25 years ago in the final game of the '87 tournament.




Even if almost all the players were involved, do you think that it was the right decision to disqualify both teams from the tournament?


Last edited by Lexus: 12-15-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Lexus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 01:31 PM
  #2
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Not sure if it was right to disqualify the teams, but I will say that I watched a replay of the whole game (or however much there was of it ) last year, and even prior to the fight, it was the single nastiest game I've ever seen. You couldn't go ten seconds without seeing a player with an elbow, slash, hook, etc...

These days the event is nothing like that and I am quite thankful for that. Perhaps the discipline handed out that day did in fact play some part in the clean-up of the game.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
  #3
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Even if almost all the players were involved, do you think that it was the right decision to disqualify both teams from the tournament?
I think the goalies should have been booted for standing there and the game should have been played in the dark.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
  #4
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Not sure if it was right to disqualify the teams, but I will say that I watched a replay of the whole game (or however much there was of it ) last year, and even prior to the fight, it was the single nastiest game I've ever seen. You couldn't go ten seconds without seeing a player with an elbow, slash, hook, etc...

These days the event is nothing like that and I am quite thankful for that. Perhaps the discipline handed out that day did in fact play some part in the clean-up of the game.
I watched a video (I think it was on TSN) where players there said the real dirty stuff took place while the lights were off.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:30 PM
  #5
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I watched a video (I think it was on TSN) where players there said the real dirty stuff took place while the lights were off.
"It's a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark." - Nelson Muntz

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:36 PM
  #6
sirlaxalot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
the u.s.s.r. had nothing to lose. canada had everything to lose.(a gold medal. ) the soviets knew that if both teams were disqualified,a soviet block country ,czechoslovakia, would win the gold. those were very political times. different people draw different conclusions.

sirlaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  #7
DrPabloRamirez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nevidzany, ZM
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlaxalot View Post
the u.s.s.r. had nothing to lose. canada had everything to lose.(a gold medal. ) the soviets knew that if both teams were disqualified,a soviet block country ,czechoslovakia, would win the gold. those were very political times. different people draw different conclusions.
You are wrong. Czechoslovakia finished second, Finland won gold. About ejection of Canada - there was directoriate meeting with voting 7-1 (Canadian delegate) to eject both teams from tournament. Sweden, Finland, USA, Switzerland and Canada never belong to soviet block. Sweden and Finland had the same (if not bigger) profit as Czechoslovakia. And about political times - common people in Czechoslovakia hate USSR more than Canada in the 80s.

DrPabloRamirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
  #8
llwyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
We had a good team that year! 6-6 draw against Canada and 5-4 over the Soviet Union, and 5-3 victory against Czhechoslovakia (the Swedes, obviously, got us though). Not too bad at all.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:07 AM
  #9
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Finland would have most likely won the tournament even if Canada had not been disqualified.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:26 AM
  #10
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Canada had to win by a certain goal differential...which they seemed to be on their way to doing. Having said that, I didn't know Finland had performed that well over the tournament until now. Sounds like they were quite deserving. Congrats! (I know the people of Finland have been waiting for my blessing all these years to make it official.)

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
  #11
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Not sure if it was right to disqualify the teams, but I will say that I watched a replay of the whole game (or however much there was of it ) last year, and even prior to the fight, it was the single nastiest game I've ever seen. You couldn't go ten seconds without seeing a player with an elbow, slash, hook, etc...

These days the event is nothing like that and I am quite thankful for that. Perhaps the discipline handed out that day did in fact play some part in the clean-up of the game.
Well said. Hard to argue with this post.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  #12
Small Brain Presence
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
If both countries were disqualified, would they not have finished the tournament as the bottom two teams and therefore have been relegated to the B Pool for the next year? They must not have been disqualified.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:03 PM
  #13
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
In hindsight, the Punch-Up may have been the best thing that ever happened to the World Juniors...

For most Canadians, myself included, it was the first time we heard of the tournament and the reason we started to pay attention.
After Piestany, the tournament grew (and grew) into the Canadian behemoth it is today.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  #14
patthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
According to Wikipedia : In another fight, Vladimir Konstantinov leveled a head-butt that broke Greg Hawgood's nose; Brendan Shanahan later described it as "the greatest head-butt I've ever seen".

Can we see the headbutt in the video?

patthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
  #15
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
Gare Joyce's book was terrific.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:02 PM
  #16
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
HWC just uploaded a (watchable) video of this famous brawl that occured 25 years ago in the final game of the '87 tournament.




Even if almost all the players were involved, do you think that it was the right decision to disqualify both teams from the tournament?
I believe that there was no choice other than to eliminate both teams, because the rules at that time clearly required it (the same rules would probably apply to a bench-clearing brawl today). Video of the game is widely available on Youtube and DVD, and you can see throughout the flow of the game that the brawl was inevitable - it was just a matter of time. There were chippy hits after almost every whistle, and it was just a matter of time before it erupted into a full-scale brawl. The Soviets actually had a pretty good team in terms of players, but they had a miserable tournament overall, so they certainly had more to gain from being eliminated than Canada did.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  #17
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPabloRamirez View Post
You are wrong. Czechoslovakia finished second, Finland won gold. About ejection of Canada - there was directoriate meeting with voting 7-1 (Canadian delegate) to eject both teams from tournament. Sweden, Finland, USA, Switzerland and Canada never belong to soviet block. Sweden and Finland had the same (if not bigger) profit as Czechoslovakia. And about political times - common people in Czechoslovakia hate USSR more than Canada in the 80s.
Very true, but it wasn't a "common person" making the vote for Czechoslovakia.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:13 PM
  #18
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Both teams should have taken a forfeit loss for the game and the standings stay.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.