HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Latvia

Old
12-11-2012, 01:17 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Oh and Lipsbersgs and Jevpalovs were 17 too last wjcs,that didnt stop them from scoring goals.
Girgensons is a very mature player. Watching him play a couple games in Rochester really shows why he was a first round pick. The kid will be a game changer at the junior level because of his two-way ability, size, strength and leadership. Sure, Lipsbergs and Jevpalovs outscored him, but they aren't nearly the complete players that Zemgus is. Those two guys and Blugers are good complimentary players (and I believe that both Lipsbergs and Jevpalovs are good enough that they could be drafted in 2013), but Girgensons could be the heart of this team.

If all these guys can play in 2014, this team will have a chance at making the quarter finals.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:28 AM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
If Girgensons plays next year the Latvian team could be very good. Right now I think this team will be relying on too many '94's to get the job done.
Already last year the team relied heavily on 93's, and that didn't stop the team from avoiding relegation. Obviously, neither Slovakia or Germany are the Danes, but I still expect the team to survive.

Also, if Latvia gets relegated, we won't ever see, how the next year's 94's compete at WJC level and possibly have a chance advancing any further.

GX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX View Post
Already last year the team relied heavily on 93's, and that didn't stop the team from avoiding relegation. Obviously, neither Slovakia or Germany are the Danes, but I still expect the team to survive.

Also, if Latvia gets relegated, we won't ever see, how the next year's 94's compete at WJC level and possibly have a chance advancing any further.
I don't think they'll be relegated. I never said that at all. I don't think that they'll make the quarter finals this year though due to their age. What I meant is next year is their year to avoid the relegation stage and join the top teams (for the year at least).

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's injured but he should be okay in time for WJC, there has been speculation that the Amerks would not release him for the tournament due to injured players and needing him which I think is completely idiotic, but it's just speculation, nothing official has been said.
damn that's just bad to hear, hope he heals quickly and hope he sabres change their minds.

12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Snippit

I really hope Girgensons is released for the tournament. I'd love to see Latvia pull of an upset or two.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:15 AM
latvianhockeyfan

I like this team in defense too. Every player has good +/-. From +15 to -5, but not like -15, -20 or more.

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:15 AM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I really hope Girgensons is released for the tournament. I'd love to see Latvia pull of an upset or two.
It would be even more fantastic, if Latvia could pull an upset without having Girgensons.

Also, I think in general people are slightly exaggerating the role of Girgensons. I mean, last year he obviously was even younger, had no pro experience, still, he was far from being the most impressive man on ice.

When and if he comes, the pressure on his shoulders won't be any smaller than it was last year - I just hope that he will be able to deal with it better.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Sivek

So with no Girgensons, is Bluegers set to be the first-line center for Lativa? Have been keeping tabs on him since I'm a Pens fan and he has been playing really well the last handful of games for his college team so it looks like he'll go into the tournament on a hot streak.

On the season for Minnesota State, he has 12 pts (2-10) through 17 games and is tied for 4th on the team in scoring, so his playmaking skills have translated well so far to the NCAA level. He is primarily the 3rd line center and gets a strong amount of pp time. I'm excited to get the chance to see him play an expanded role in the WJC.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:46 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Grigensons is healthy, he was playing yesterday? Im assuming he will be released.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:50 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Grigensons is healthy, he was playing yesterday? Im assuming he will be released.
there was alot of discussion saying that he wouldnot be released for the tournament as the sabres would rather have him play with the americans than go to Ufa. idk what the latest status though is

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:51 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Nope, Rochester needs him as their fourth line left winger instead.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:30 AM
latvianhockeyfan

Lipsbergs and Blueger are shining again.

Lipsbergs 1+1, Blueger 2 games 3 points +2.

Lipsbergs now has 32 points(15 points(10+5) in last 10 games)

Blueger now has 12 points in 17 games(2+10 and +/- +5) .
Faceoffs 137 -85 .617

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:45 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

So when it will be official about Girgensons coming to Ufa or not ?

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
Lipsbergs and Blueger are shining again.

Lipsbergs 1+1, Blueger 2 games 3 points +2.

Lipsbergs now has 32 points(15 points(10+5) in last 10 games)

Blueger now has 12 points in 17 games(2+10 and +/- +5) .
Faceoffs 137 -85 .617
That's good news considering that all things indicate that Girgensons won't play... As it seems. Kļaviņ from Elitserien won't be there because he doesn't like the coach so that's 2 players from Elite men's leagues out....

It's hard to compare players whom we have not seen playing each other during the season - that's also why WJC is good. During the preparation games the line Ozolins-Kuzmenkovs- Jelisejevs seemed potent and maybe Tambijevs will not change it. On the other hand why not put together Jevpalovs, Lipsbergs and Jelisejevs like in HK Riga last year that brought good result in U18... Blugers-Bukarts connection from U18 could also be explored, but at the same time Kuzmenkovs this year has shown that's he's a damn good playmaker (6 prep games 4+9) too and maybe needs some better partners around to make a killer line. Shame that Zemgus and Kļaviņ will not be there... With those two we would have a fighting chance at top 6 IHMO, without them avoiding relegation also becomes a bigger issue...

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
So when it will be official about Girgensons coming to Ufa or not ?
Who knows, at the moment all I've heard from the federation is "highly unlikely" and that would probably mean NO. Maybe they themselves ''traded'' this opportunity for him being able to play for men's NT in Olympic qualification.

Roberts Lipsbergs has been great in WHL, so he could step up, Blugers in NCAA too but, of course, we all want for the team to be as good as it can possibly be.

Next year, if we stay up, it could seem even more promising but that's next year and we still face Germany or Swiss probably for relegation, teams we won at U18 without Zemgus but barely... And they will also have good 1993 reinforcements.

Quote:
Already last year the team relied heavily on 93's, and that didn't stop the team from avoiding relegation.
Sure, team fought bravely against Swiss and Slovaks too but had some pretty ugly scores too. And not only it relied heavy on 93, but also on 5 1994s and probably would have Bukarts too if he wasn't 15 at the time and rules didn't prevent him to play...

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 12-15-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old
12-15-2012, 07:51 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Who knows, at the moment all I've heard from the federation is "highly unlikely" and that would probably mean NO. Maybe they themselves ''traded'' this opportunity for him being able to play for men's NT in Olympic qualification.
Stupid "trade" imo...he would be much more valuable to U20 than senior team, given the fact that Latvia is clear favourite to win their group at Olympic qualifications.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:17 AM
GX

Quote:
Stupid "trade" imo...he would be much more valuable to U20 than senior team, given the fact that Latvia is clear favourite to win their group at Olympic qualifications.
It's better to not take the chances. We've lost to both France and Kazakhstan often enough to take them seriously. In fact, we lost to France 4:7 just yesterday (with B squad, still, also French didn't have all the best men).

Old
12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
It's better to not take the chances. We've lost to both France and Kazakhstan often enough to take them seriously. In fact, we lost to France 4:7 just yesterday (with B squad, still, also French didn't have all the best men).
Oh come on we dindt have following players-Darzins,Karsums,sprukts,Masalskis,Kulda,Pujacs, Mikelis Redlihs and ofcourse girgensons. with these guys we would easily win france.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Oh come on we dindt have following players-Darzins,Karsums,sprukts,Masalskis,Kulda,Pujacs, Mikelis Redlihs and ofcourse girgensons. with these guys we would easily win france.
I guess this team yesterday thought the same without having all those players... France is a serious team that has beaten Belarus on several occasions now..

Old
12-15-2012, 09:11 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
I guess this team yesterday thought the same without having all those players... France is a serious team that has beaten Belarus on several occasions now..
No they didnt think anything it`s hard to win when our team has players from kazakh leagues,ukrainian and god knows what else leagues in this tourney.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Destroyer100

As an Oshawa General fan i was really hoping Blueger was going to come over and play in the OHL after being drafted by them but i have seen him play and hes a good player ,looks like a good team this year. If Girgensons gets released i could see you guys competing for a bronze or 4th place which would be good for you guys.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:33 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
As an Oshawa General fan i was really hoping Blueger was going to come over and play in the OHL after being drafted by them but i have seen him play and hes a good player ,looks like a good team this year. If Girgensons gets released i could see you guys competing for a bronze or 4th place which would be good for you guys.
I don't think Latvia, nor Swiss or Germany are good enough to get in fight for bronze medal...

Old
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I don't think Latvia, nor Swiss or Germany are good enough to get in fight for bronze medal...
exactly.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
rsg87

As a sabres fan, I really hope they release Girgs and let him play. I'm still not thrilled he's playing in the AHL instead of juniors but it would be a mistake not to let him play for his country. It would be also good for him to go against players his own age even if it was only briefly.

rsg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:59 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Can someone enlighten me about our pre-tournament schedule? How many exhibition games do we have this year?

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote