HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question: Craig Conroy

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 12:27 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Question: Craig Conroy

Hey guys...

wanted to get some info on Craig Conroy - especially from those who have watched him play tons!

Specifically I'm wondering how good an "offensive" player he is... we all know he's an excellent defensive player, but offensively I've heard everything from "he's a first liner" to "he's a 3rd liner disguised as a first liner" (well not so much anymore since he's been moved down).

I'm assuming the reality is somewhere in the middle here.

but specifically how good is he offensively??

Is he an above average to great passer? or is his passing ability average (or below average)?

How is his skating? speed and acceleration?

and also his scoring touch?

Stats only tell you half the story - a lot depend on how a player plays with and what system they are playing in... my question is about judging his talent.

Any help here would be appreciated... just trying to get a more accurate read on this player... (and if anyone read anything recently discussing Conroy's game links would be awesome)!

thanks.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:45 PM
looooob

well he's got very good speed.

when he first joined the Flames I marvelled at how often he got himself into a scoring position, yet he had hands of stone (kind of like Shean Donovan actually)....but the last two years he has become a 20 goal guy, and only part of that is Iginla.

in my estimation he's got great speed, is a decent passer, and has below average hands. other things that help his overall game (including his offensive game) are his work ethic and his faceoff ability.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:53 PM
icarus

I disagree about the hands. He's scored a couple nice breakaway goals. He hasn't shown this much this season, but they are there... somewhere. Otherwise, I agree with loooob's assessment.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:04 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

thanks guys...

is there a specific reason why Sutter has moved Conroy off the top line?

I've noticed a lot of line juggling recently by the Flames... Yelle now on the top line, and Lombardi before that...

is it just trying to get more spread out scoring (which seems to be working), or looking for a better fit to wake up Iginla (which also seems to be working in the last couple games)... or has Conroy really struggled in his game (outside the stats, his play on the ice)?

Old
12-10-2003, 01:06 PM
icarus

The ol' McAmmond-Conroy-Iginla line wasn't working to start the season. Lo and behold Lombardi started playing well and got bumped up to play with Iginla. Then Conroy started to play well with Gelinas and Donovan and stuck with that line up until his injury.

Closed Thread