Regarding the Tim Thomas trade rumors..

Old
12-14-2012, 08:09 PM
gillesgilbert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
The question Bruin's fans need to ask themselves is this:

Which goaltender is more likely to replicate the run that Thomas had 18 months ago:

- an almost 40 yr old Thomas in the twilight of his career

- his understudy who is approaching the peak years of his career.

Goalies tend to fall off rather dramatically as they approach 40, Roloson had an incredible run at 39 and was absolutely washed up at 40.
Age is obviously a concern for any athlete but it does not mean TT will be resigned to the same fate as Roloson.TT is a much better goalie than Roloson and while he wasn't as good in his last year compared to the previous one[an impossible feat for just about anybody] TT was still a legit no.1.Based on ability alone if one had to choose between Rask or Thomas as the B's goalie when /if the NHL starts, I know I would go with Thomas.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
And then was one third period goal away from the Stanley Cup final at 41.

Whoops.
Ok 1 goal away from a SC final at turning 41, washed up 6 months later - the point is that the fall-off can be dramatic - Hasek really declined at 40, belfour at 40, Cujo at 38.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Ok 1 goal away from a SC final at turning 41, washed up 6 months later - the point is that the fall-off can be dramatic - Hasek really declined at 40, belfour at 40, Cujo at 38.
Did you see Tampa's "defense" last year?

I have faith that if Thomas played this year..he would not be Dwyane Roloson...no signs point to that at all.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Bodacious

What exactly is the goal? Isn't it winning the cup?

Here is the list of 39 yr old starting tenders (Thomas will be 39 if any playoffs start) that won the cup in the last 30 yrs:

Osgood was 36, Hasek 37, Roy 35, Brodeur 30, Belfour 33, Mike Vernon 36, Billy Smith 31, all the others were younger.

If you are a student of the game, the choice is easy.

Father time is undefeated.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:08 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
Age is obviously a concern for any athlete but it does not mean TT will be resigned to the same fate as Roloson.TT is a much better goalie than Roloson and while he wasn't as good in his last year compared to the previous one[an impossible feat for just about anybody] TT was still a legit no.1.Based on ability alone if one had to choose between Rask or Thomas as the B's goalie when /if the NHL starts, I know I would go with Thomas.
good points and if I may add another thought? Timmy played for years in various countries, various leagues, many of which he wasn`t carrying a load of games like he did as a #1 within the Bruins, he has hardly put on the miles of a Brodeur or even our old buddy Luongo, where age may be a touch of an issue will be his reaction time but, in spite of it being a bit of an un-Timmy year as we have become accustumed to, I didn`t see signs of a goalie who was struggling with that aspect

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Kegs

Quote:
Did you see Tampa's "defense" last year?

I have faith that if Thomas played this year..he would not be Dwyane Roloson...no signs point to that at all.
No actually I didn't. They must have borrowed Harry potters invisibility cloak.

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:05 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Age won't be on his side but he is still close enough to the top to get hot.

I think the far more arduous task for Tim will be playing with Toronto/Edmonton's defensemen instead of Chara and Seids. If he comes back and gets lit up the likeliest reason will be his teammates.

But its Tim Thomas anyone who has ever bet against the guy has been forced to eat **** of course he could still steal a playoff series or two if he gets the chance.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:46 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

If Thomas wanted to play I'd be fine with him playing our shortened season starting in a few weeks, but the fact remains he has no interest playing for Boston. End of story

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Kegs

Not just Boston. He has no interest playing at all

Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:29 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Holy "Reading-way-too-much-into-Thomas'-statement", Batman!

Tim Thomas said he is taking the year off. He never said he was done playing, nor did he say he was done playing with the Bruins. That's a feedback loop created on this forum. If he's done with the Bruins it's because the Bruins are done with him. That's a possibility with a significant probability, but it's not a fact.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:33 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:

Here is the list of 39 yr old starting tenders (Thomas will be 39 if any playoffs start) that won the cup in the last 30 yrs:

Osgood was 36, Hasek 37, Roy 35, Brodeur 30, Belfour 33, Mike Vernon 36, Billy Smith 31, all the others were younger.

So you're saying we are better off with Khudobin?

Old
12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
JMiller

Quote:

I remember so many posts just like this one in the summer before TT turned the lights out and stole the cup for Boston.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I remember so many posts just like this one in the summer before TT turned the lights out and stole the cup for Boston.
Yep. And probably similar to the Devils board before last year when Brodeur took them to the finals

Old
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
Yep. And probably similar to the Devils board before last year when Brodeur took them to the finals
Ask any of the Devil's fans and they will admit that a big reason why they lost was that the Kings had a big edge in goal. They got to the finals despite Brodeur not because of him. He wasn't close to the same goalie that won them so many cups.

Again what would you choose? A 50% chance of getting to the final with a 10% chance to win, or a 35% chance of getting to the final with a 20% chance to win.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
^^^ This.

12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
I'm not a Thomas basher, his run After the Habs series was unreal and unprecedented - especially for a Bruins goalie. And yes he has proven many people wrong - most of them on this board who were up in arms about Chiarelli signing him to a 4 yr 35+ contract.

The issue is that all goalies hit the wall as they get to 40. Could Thomas put together another run - possibly but unlikely. History isn't on his side. What is more likely is that Rask could put that type of a run together - it may a 10% vs a 5% chance, but smart money bets on the younger guy. Rask is at least playing competitive hockey right now, Thomas is sitting as his skills deteriorate. Ideally you have both goalies, with likely Rask winning the starting job and Thomas around just in case.

Father time is undefeated..

Old
12-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
So you're saying we are better off with Khudobin?
Did Rask get hit by a bus? He's just getting into his prime years for a goalie. But if Khudobin shows his stuff - I say play the tender that is playing the best.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
JMiller

Quote:
I'm not a Thomas basher, his run After the Habs series was unreal and unprecedented - especially for a Bruins goalie. And yes he has proven many people wrong - most of them on this board who were up in arms about Chiarelli signing him to a 4 yr 35+ contract.

The issue is that all goalies hit the wall as they get to 40. Could Thomas put together another run - possibly but unlikely. History isn't on his side. What is more likely is that Rask could put that type of a run together - it may a 10% vs a 5% chance, but smart money bets on the younger guy. Rask is at least playing competitive hockey right now, Thomas is sitting as his skills deteriorate. Ideally you have both goalies, with likely Rask winning the starting job and Thomas around just in case.

"Smart money" has lost on Tim Thomas his whole career and he beat Father Time when he became the oldest goalie to win the cup and the oldest player to win the Con Smyth. You can invent whatever % you want- but here in the real world Thomas has been Boston's best goaltender and has shown no signs of decline on the ice.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:12 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Did Rask get hit by a bus? He's just getting into his prime years for a goalie. But if Khudobin shows his stuff - I say play the tender that is playing the best.
We would still have Rask whether Thomas is on the roster or not...see the last three years.

Khudobin is the one filling the roster spot.. but you didn't answer my question.

Would we be better off with Rask-Khudobin or Thomas-Rask?

Old
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Ask any of the Devil's fans and they will admit that a big reason why they lost was that the Kings had a big edge in goal. They got to the finals despite Brodeur not because of him. He wasn't close to the same goalie that won them so many cups.

Again what would you choose? A 50% chance of getting to the final with a 10% chance to win, or a 35% chance of getting to the final with a 20% chance to win.
I sure enjoyed our 10% chance of winning in 2011. As we saw...once you get there anything can happen. Very very few people had the B's beating the Canucks and rightfully so at the time. They looked outmatched on paper.

Give me the 50% any day in this argument.

Old
12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

JMiller...I have to say...I really respect you looking past the politics and rooting for Thomas. I know you definitely don't agree with his viewpoints..it's good to see someone with perspective

Old
12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
JMiller

Quote:
JMiller...I have to say...I really respect you looking past the politics and rooting for Thomas. I know you definitely don't agree with his viewpoints..it's good to see someone with perspective
Thanks friend.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:

Except with Tim Thomas's NHL hero.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Yeah, and drafting Malcolm Subban in the first round really screams "we're perfectly comfortable with Rask and Khudobin going forward" too, doesn't it?
Drafting Subban has next to nothing to do with Tuuka and the present goalie situation. Hell, Tuuka didn't get his chance with the big club until after 100~ games in the AHL. Subban will be a long term project, im sure he wont put on a Boston uni with any regularity for at least three years, with the exception of a spot start here or there.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If Thomas wanted to play I'd be fine with him playing our shortened season starting in a few weeks, but the fact remains he has no interest playing for Boston. End of story
I dunno KOB, not sure I'd even sign him on a shortened season.

I usually hate throwing people into the fire, but since Tuuka has a pretty good track record I think we've reached the point where he needs to either sink or swim as the starter.

I also think Tuuka is a tremendous goalie and we've been spoiled the last number of years with arguably the best duo in the NHL. Other teams would be ecstatic starting Rask while we're largely reluctant about it

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote