HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hugh would have been a different player had he not broken his ankle.
maybe...but i think the rule changes to get rid of clutch and grab hurt him alot too

Old
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
MSC with 4 goals in an 8-1 win for the Oil Kings over Regina. :-)
All on the PP, too.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
All on the PP, too.

This concerns me: 13 out of his 19 goals came on the PP, as did almost half of his assists.

Do you remember Max Campbell? He had statistically an excellent sophomore season in college, but that's because he was scoring on the PP. The Rangers hoped that he'd break through in his junior year and begin to score on even strength as well, but he didn't. Right now, he's a third liner in the ECHL.

Granted Campbell was never regarded as well as St. Croix. I'm sure he's already better than an ECHL third liner. If Edmonton gets eliminated before Hartford (highly unlikely), I expect that St. Croix will play a solid role in the AHL. But whether someone is in the ECHL or the AHL isn't a big deal for me. I want to see him in the NHL, and he needs to snap out of the the even-strength drought he's been in the whole season.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stats in the first post have been updated.

It's just pain.
Old
12-17-2012, 08:06 AM
NYR Viper

Good news:

McColgan
34 points in 31 games played

MSC
44 points in 34 games played

McColgan is having a pretty good season so far and considering he is a far more physical player than MSC, if he continues his play, he will easily garner an ELC.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
MSC with 4 goals in an 8-1 win for the Oil Kings over Regina. :-)
Is it true that he still was a minus 7???

Old
12-17-2012, 08:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Good news:

McColgan
34 points in 31 games played

MSC
44 points in 34 games played

McColgan is having a pretty good season so far and considering he is a far more physical player than MSC, if he continues his play, he will easily garner an ELC.
Eh, McColgan's season has been okay. He had a terrible start but has recovered nicely. The problem is he's still the player he was three years ago. No development to his game. I think he gets an AHL deal.

MSC is just unimpressive to me. While his point total is nice, it's down from last season and he's meh at even strength. As Beacon mentioned a few posts up, we know he can score--can he play away from the puck, along the boards and in the tough areas? I haven't seen anything to suggest he can. He's not a bad prospect, but I don't think he's much more than his draft position suggests. Erik Christensen part two.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:53 AM
NYR Viper

McColgan has taken the next step at least scoring wise. To be over a ppg is still a positive sign in any league. I am just going off of Training Camp last year but he looked good. His skating was a positive and he was more than willing to go into the dirty areas to retrieve pucks and create chances. I am still pretty high on him.

I know many people think St Croix isn't tough but from the few games I have watched I wouldn't say that is true. He is just a cerebral player. Richards doesn't go into the dirty areas all that much either. He is a skilled player, not a grinder.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I've only seen St. Croix a handful of times since we drafted him, but he never looked strong on the puck nor willing to absorb any contact. He looks like a pure periphery player to me. That's fine if you have exceptional skills, but I don't think he's on that level. He may carve out a role as a bottom six offensive center, but I just don't think he has what it takes to be a consistent top six scorer. I hope I'm wrong.

Let's see how McColgan ends the season. He's been a bit streaky throughout his career. A strong, consistent finish over the second half would boost his chances of earning a deal, IMO. If he ends with a bang, great--if he ends the season with a whimper, he's a long shot for an ELC.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
McColgan has taken the next step at least scoring wise.
How? He's only 3 points over a PPG and hasn't looked any better this year than he has over his career. He's completely plateaued. Even on a new team -- he still looks like the same exact player he was when he was 17.

That's the primary reason he dropped to the 5th. He made zero improvement from his rookie season to his second season. You don't go from a 1st round pick to a 5th round pick without serious problems to your game.

And he's still the same player now. I've never seen a player plateau like this at such a young age.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

MSC has come a long way since his draft year. He's shown a willingness to go into the dirty areas and is far better in his own end. He's still mediocre on face-offs, but he's much better when it comes to the two-way responsibility of a center. Is he NHL ready? Absolutely not. He's going to need at least two years of AHL time before he even sniffs NHL ice, IMO. However, he's making big strides where he needs to make them.

The one thing that does worry me is he can't seem to get out of his own way when it comes to pressure situations. He was overwhelmingly "meh" during the playoffs last year, and hasn't made any noise at Traverse City or prospect camp. While I don't necessarily agree with nyr2k2's overall assessment, there are some alarming similarities between MSC and Erik Christensen.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is it true that he still was a minus 7???

That reminds me of this game

Shane Hnidy...

Old
12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Cerney tweeted that "word is" Miller will be captain of the WJC squad.

Not a huge shock (thought it would be him or Trouba) but talk about a great honor.

12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
ColonialsHockey10

What's even better then that is the people freaking out over Skjei being paired with Jones.

Keep the hate coming.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Cerney tweeted that "word is" Miller will be captain of the WJC squad.

Not a huge shock (thought it would be him or Trouba) but talk about a great honor.
So that means 2 of the last 3 WJC U20 captains have been in our system. Love the character kids we're drafting.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:20 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
MSC has come a long way since his draft year. He's shown a willingness to go into the dirty areas and is far better in his own end. He's still mediocre on face-offs, but he's much better when it comes to the two-way responsibility of a center. Is he NHL ready? Absolutely not. He's going to need at least two years of AHL time before he even sniffs NHL ice, IMO. However, he's making big strides where he needs to make them.

The one thing that does worry me is he can't seem to get out of his own way when it comes to pressure situations. He was overwhelmingly "meh" during the playoffs last year, and hasn't made any noise at Traverse City or prospect camp. While I don't necessarily agree with nyr2k2's overall assessment, there are some alarming similarities between MSC and Erik Christensen.
19 points in 20 games and +8 qualifies as overwhelmingly "meh" status?

Old
12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What's even better then that is the people freaking out over Skjei being paired with Jones.

Keep the hate coming.
Yea, lotta Skjei hate. It's over the top. It will be interesting to see what happens if he cracks the lineup.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
It absolutely does.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:43 PM
pavelich

Nice stuff from Phil Housley, the U.S. WJC coach, re. J.T. Miller

Another player who was dialed into the practice was J.T. Miller, who has emerged as a team leader and could be the front-runner to be named team captain.

"Since we've been here he's put his foot down and really extended himself in that leadership role, which is good to see," Housley said. "It's the little things away from the rink that you don't see, which is great for me, to get the guys together. They're all on one page and that's great. You're going to need leaders, to get guys to say the right things in the locker room when the coach isn't there. It's a sign of his maturity as a player. He's a guy that's playing in the American league at a very young age. There's not a lot of guys that can say that. He's a strong young man. It's great to see him lead by example. He competes out there. That's what we're going to need form our leaders, leading by example."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=12336

Old
12-17-2012, 09:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Yea, lotta Skjei hate. It's over the top. It will be interesting to see what happens if he cracks the lineup.
I posted over there when he was invited to the camp (nobody thought he would be) that I wasn't surprised and I won't be either if he makes the team. Naturally got pelted with negative responses.

This is played on a big ice no? It will only improve his chances.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:53 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
When you score over 100 points in the regular season I would say it does.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:20 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Skjei and Jones have played together before. It makes sense to put them together even if only for exhibition.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

At the Junior level, playoffs are very important. They play tighter defense, tougher boards and you can't rack up points against crappy teams that lost their spirit from losing so much.

It's higher quality, more pro-like hockey, which is what makes the playoffs such an important barometer.

I like MSC. I think he has a lot of potential and at 6-0 180, he has good size. But that playoff performance was a bummer. I was hoping for at least 25, maybe 30 points in 20 games.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
But the playoffs do not include all the inferior teams that the Oil Kings play during the regular season... Should it be surprising that he's not scoring at the same pace in the playoffs as he is during the regular season?

I could see if he did 19 points in 20 games and was a -8 as to indicate his line was not playing well defensively at even strength and getting scored on - but that wasn't the case....

If any of our top Rangers players were scoring at a PPG pace over 20 playoff games and +8 we'd be singing their praises....

Old
12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
But the playoffs do not include all the inferior teams that the Oil Kings play during the regular season... Should it be surprising that he's not scoring at the same pace in the playoffs as he is during the regular season?

I could see if he did 19 points in 20 games and was a -8 as to indicate his line was not playing well defensively at even strength and getting scored on - but that wasn't the case....

If any of our top Rangers players were scoring at a PPG pace over 20 playoff games and +8 we'd be singing their praises....

If a two-way player like Miller had done it, we'd be satisfied, though not ecstatic. When an offensive guy is up there, he should score more.

Closed Thread