HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 578
Waiver wire considerations...

Texas Stars Release Cam Barker From PTO; not a defensive D so I don't see him helping here, but it's been quite a fall for the former third overall pick:
Quote:
Barker, 26, attended training camp with Texas on a tryout contract and originally signed a 25-game PTO with the Stars at the end of camp. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native made his Texas debut on October 13th at San Antonio and he appeared in 23 games for the Stars this season, leading the team in shots on goal (66) and recording eight points (3 goals, 5 assists) and 24 penalty minutes.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Rammstein816

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Waiver wire considerations...

Texas Stars Release Cam Barker From PTO; not a defensive D so I don't see him helping here, but it's been quite a fall for the former third overall pick:
Darryl Boyce just got released from a PTO the other day as well but he was only playing 4th line on a bad Hamilton team, so he likely wouldn't help.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:04 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Darryl Boyce just got released from a PTO the other day as well but he was only playing 4th line on a bad Hamilton team, so he likely wouldn't help.
He'd help for sure. He's a solid 3rd line player, just not a big scorer. But they can get by at forward when healthy. What they need is help at defense.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
He'd help for sure. He's a solid 3rd line player, just not a big scorer. But they can get by at forward when healthy. What they need is help at defense.
And scoring

Old
12-16-2012, 05:29 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
And scoring
With Hodgson back and Flynn and Rankin healthy, I think they'll be fine offensively. Where they are not fine is at defense. It's a major weakness.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
And scoring
The Amerks are second in the league in goals per game. Scoring is not the issue.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
The Amerks are second in the league in goals per game. Scoring is not the issue.
Well, 2nd in the conference, 4th in the league--and scoring at a rate roughly equivalent to that of the OKC Barons, a team featuring Eberle, RNH, Hall, and Schultz. But it certainly puts the "We desperately need more scoring" complaints in perspective, at least until the NHL starts playing again.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:22 PM
sabrefan27

The focus clearly needs to be on the defense. The personnel is just not there to compete effectively. Since I know they won't sign an AHL veteran FA, I would start by giving Fienhage a shot. He was pretty solid in his own end last season and pretty physical.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Well, 2nd in the conference, 4th in the league--and scoring at a rate roughly equivalent to that of the OKC Barons, a team featuring Eberle, RNH, Hall, and Schultz. But it certainly puts the "We desperately need more scoring" complaints in perspective, at least until the NHL starts playing again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Not total goals, that's not an accurate measure.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:34 PM
sabrefan27

3rd in goals per game, 25th in goals against. It's obvious what the problem is.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Zip15

Looked at some various Amerks stats this morning. They're 22/116 (18.97%) on the PP, and killing penalties at an 83.63% rate (97/116). Because the AHL doesn't track such things on its main website, I looked at NHL stats for a frame of reference. Based on last year's NHL numbers, their PP would rank 7th and their PK would rank 10th. The PK got off to a rough start, surrendering 9 goals in opponents' first 30 opportunities. Since, however, the Amerks have only surrendered 10 PP goals in 86 opportunities, for a gaudy 89.4% kill rate (that'd be 2nd in the NHL last year).

Looking at one advanced stat, they have a PDO (SV% + Shooting%) of 1008 right now--1000 would mean that your shooting % is exactly the same as your opponent's shooting% against you. The Amerks have a well-above average non-EN shooting% of 10.25%, meaning opponents have a SV% against the Amerks of roughtly .897, while the Amerks' non-EN SV% of .9055, meaning their opponents' shooting% against them is roughly 9.45%.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
sabrefan27

Great site, if no one is aware, for AHL stats:

http://cluster.leaguestat.com/downlo...ly-report.html

We can post all the statistics we want, but reality is, the Amerks are very poor with defensive coverage and they give up a lot of quality chances. And they have absolutely no ability to play with a lead.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
The focus clearly needs to be on the defense. The personnel is just not there to compete effectively. Since I know they won't sign an AHL veteran FA, I would start by giving Fienhage a shot. He was pretty solid in his own end last season and pretty physical.
Could part of the problem be the lockout is preventing one of Weber or Pardy from playing for the Amerks ? One of them was definitely heading to the Amerks after camp.

I think that would certainly help things.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Could part of the problem be the lockout is preventing one of Weber or Pardy from playing for the Amerks ? One of them was definitely heading to the Amerks after camp.

I think that would certainly help things.
Definitely. They have no veteran on defense. In a league this talented? It's just stupid. Finley is not a veteran if people are thinking that. He has 88 games of AHL experience. And guys like Biega and Brennan are not vets either.

As far as I'm concerned, losing Morrisonn and not replacing him, they downgraded the defense this year while playing in a much more skilled and competitive league.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Looked at some various Amerks stats this morning. They're 22/116 (18.97%) on the PP, and killing penalties at an 83.63% rate (97/116). Because the AHL doesn't track such things on its main website, I looked at NHL stats for a frame of reference. Based on last year's NHL numbers, their PP would rank 7th and their PK would rank 10th. The PK got off to a rough start, surrendering 9 goals in opponents' first 30 opportunities. Since, however, the Amerks have only surrendered 10 PP goals in 86 opportunities, for a gaudy 89.4% kill rate (that'd be 2nd in the NHL last year).

Looking at one advanced stat, they have a PDO (SV% + Shooting%) of 1008 right now--1000 would mean that your shooting % is exactly the same as your opponent's shooting% against you. The Amerks have a well-above average non-EN shooting% of 10.25%, meaning opponents have a SV% against the Amerks of roughtly .897, while the Amerks' non-EN SV% of .9055, meaning their opponents' shooting% against them is roughly 9.45%.
I've been looking for even-strength numbers but couldn't find them anywhere, where did you get them?

Old
12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
JPurp26

Good to see Rochester as one of the higher teams in Avg attendance

Old
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I've been looking for even-strength numbers but couldn't find them anywhere, where did you get them?
I actually just did a variation of it and included all shots. Given how close the number of PP's for and against were, as well as overall shots on the season, I figured it'd come out relatively close to the ES numbers.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
TheWook

Is there a place to view ice times?

Old
12-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Canucks fan in peace here. I was wondering if there was any word on whether or not Girgensons is going to be released for the WJC. Just wanted to know for a fantasy pool.

Thanks in advance for anything you happen to know.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Canucks fan in peace here. I was wondering if there was any word on whether or not Girgensons is going to be released for the WJC. Just wanted to know for a fantasy pool.

Thanks in advance for anything you happen to know.
As far as I know, they haven't given him permission yet. Not to say its an official "no," but it's getting close to any imaginary deadline I could think of.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 450
This weekends home and home vs the Binghamton Senators will be televised - LIVE - on both TWCSC Buffalo (Channel 25 in Buffalo, Channel 52 in the Suburbs and in HD on Channel 713.) and TWCSC Rochester (Channel 26 and in HD on Channel 1026.) with coverage on both nights starting at 7:00 pm ET. If you are in the Syracuse area, you can see Saturdays game - LIVE - on TWCSC Syracuse. Theres no planned coverage of Fridays game on TWCSC Syracuse.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 12-18-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 09:51 PM
gdsmack267

Sabres management year in and year out is a disgrace when it comes to putting a winning product on the ice in Rochester. This teams biggest hole last year defense and after losing a veteran like Shaone Morrisonn they didn't nothing to help at least fill that spot. Let go under the assumption that the season wasn't locked out. That means they would obviously lose foligino, hodgson and possibly even Tropp if he wasnt hurt. They knew those players wouldn't be there and yet they only signed 2 players that could play top 6 roles. (Porter pick up has been great but Mancari has been a flop)

Breakdown of the defense 1/3 of the way thru the season.

Finley: Solid guy for your bottom pairing but there is a reason hes not in the NHL. He is just way too slow and takes a lot of dumb penalties.

Mark Pysyk: Very solid rookie year so far IMO. Has definitely had some defensive lapses which is to be expected from a young player but I think has been one the best on the back end.

Brennan: Easily the best shot on the team and has a lethal one timer for the PP. However, he is a liability in his zone and is out of position like 50% of the time. I know conservative isn't his game but if he played back a little more he would be near elite.

Mcnabb: Hands down the worst and most disappointing player on the team this year. He looked so good last year but he has just been horrendous this year.

Biega: I think he has been really solid this year and deserves more ice time. He shows flashes of great speed and knows when to jump in the play but seems to be responsible in his end as well.

Leduc/Mckenzie: Haven't really seen enough of both but Leduc has had some lapses in his own end. I put it a lot of on the coach who has put him out there in the waning minutes of a 1 goal game which makes no sense to me since he is a rookie.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 578
Amerks, like the Sabres, are using iPad technology:
Quote:
Expanding on a program that was launched in Buffalo last season, the Sabres are now using iPads as teaching tools for members of the Rochester Americans, their AHL farm team. The Sabres are working with Global Aptitude of Baltimore to utilize the GamePlan app that allows coaches to send personalized video clips directly to players through iPads assigned by the team, along with full video of each game. The GamePlan app has already replaced the traditional paper playbook for several NFL teams, but the Sabres are believed to be the only NHL team currently using this technology.

Each player has a designated iPad that is pre-loaded with both Sabres and Amerks GamePlan apps. The iPads are “locked down,” preventing players from using them for personal reasons, and must be signed out and returned to the coaches every day. In essence, the team has created the first electronic “text book” for Sabres University.

Quote:
According to Schranz, the idea to enhance the program was actually suggested by Sabres captain Jason Pominville in his end-of-season meeting with the coaching staff. The team was already getting pre-scout materials on the day of a game, but Pominville wondered if there was a way for the players to have everything in their hands the night before.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Sabres management year in and year out is a disgrace when it comes to putting a winning product on the ice in Rochester. This teams biggest hole last year defense and after losing a veteran like Shaone Morrisonn they didn't nothing to help at least fill that spot. Let go under the assumption that the season wasn't locked out. That means they would obviously lose foligino, hodgson and possibly even Tropp if he wasnt hurt. They knew those players wouldn't be there and yet they only signed 2 players that could play top 6 roles. (Porter pick up has been great but Mancari has been a flop)

Breakdown of the defense 1/3 of the way thru the season.

Finley: Solid guy for your bottom pairing but there is a reason hes not in the NHL. He is just way too slow and takes a lot of dumb penalties.

Mark Pysyk: Very solid rookie year so far IMO. Has definitely had some defensive lapses which is to be expected from a young player but I think has been one the best on the back end.

Brennan: Easily the best shot on the team and has a lethal one timer for the PP. However, he is a liability in his zone and is out of position like 50% of the time. I know conservative isn't his game but if he played back a little more he would be near elite.

Mcnabb: Hands down the worst and most disappointing player on the team this year. He looked so good last year but he has just been horrendous this year.

Biega: I think he has been really solid this year and deserves more ice time. He shows flashes of great speed and knows when to jump in the play but seems to be responsible in his end as well.

Leduc/Mckenzie: Haven't really seen enough of both but Leduc has had some lapses in his own end. I put it a lot of on the coach who has put him out there in the waning minutes of a 1 goal game which makes no sense to me since he is a rookie.
Sabres management has been back in charge of Amerks hockey for 1 1/4 seasons. 'Year in and year out' is kind of a stretch.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Sabres management has been back in charge of Amerks hockey for 1 1/4 seasons. 'Year in and year out' is kind of a stretch.
Regier had his hand in most of the signings for Rochester prior to the split to Portland. It's not as if most Rochester fans are pissed at Regier for the last 1 1/4 seasons. It's that prior to all of this he's had a history of not signing veterans or replacing players who were injured.

I believe it was the year after the lockout where Dominic Pittis wanted to resign with the Amerks and Regier basically told him to have fun in Switzerland. This was after a 104, 65 (in 58) and 77 pt season with the Amerks. Pominville, Roy, and Paille were all called up for full time duty after only a month and they were replaced by absolute plugs. Jiri "The Turd" Novotny was the leading scorer that year with 54 pts and the Amerks missed the playoffs. Moves like that are why Regier isn't well liked by Amerks fans.

Closed Thread