HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Mystery Pick

Old
12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
JTforPres2012

vCash: 500
Isles Mystery Pick

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/sp...-nytimessports

Very interesting article in The Times, any thoughts?

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post

I expect the NY Times to be above this nonsense. There are so many positive stories around the Islanders these days (of course, since the NHL team hasn't been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by December 1st!) and to write about this, alluding to some MAYBE-questionable decision and MAYBE-ulterior motives is a little National Enquirer-ish.

If this is to be an expose on how the Isles wasted a draft choice because of some non-hockey related motive or incentive, then say so, do the investigation and make a point.

If not, don't fill a no-news-day with a pointless piece like this.

What's next? How Corey Trivino has struggled to make the Florida Everblades in the ECHL? Possible link to addiction to reality-television he learned about at BU?

Since they read these boards, as was evident in the weak piece, why not do a story on 7th rounder Anders Lee? How about the emergence of Brock Nelson? Or how Casey Cizikas overcame some real issues to become a legit prospect and set to have a good NHL career? Even Josh Bailey, tearing up the German 2nd division, maybe he can build some confidence and take the next step in his NHL career?

Hey, NYTIMES people, set-up an alias on HF (I'd be disappointed if they haven't already) and ask Isles fans for story ideas during the lockout.

Posters on this very board are a nice mix of sadistic, creative, crazy, brilliant, frustrating, with a sprinkle of WTF - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

And the story ideas would fly!

Thoughts?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:08 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I expect the NY Times to be above this nonsense. There are so many positive stories around the Islanders these days (of course, since the NHL team hasn't been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by December 1st!) and to write about this, alluding to some MAYBE-questionable decision and MAYBE-ulterior motives is a little National Enquirer-ish.

If this is to be an expose on how the Isles wasted a draft choice because of some non-hockey related motive or incentive, then say so, do the investigation and make a point.

If not, don't fill a no-news-day with a pointless piece like this.

What's next? How Corey Trivino has struggled to make the Florida Everblades in the ECHL? Possible link to addiction to reality-television he learned about at BU?

Since they read these boards, as was evident in the weak piece, why not do a story on 7th rounder Anders Lee? How about the emergence of Brock Nelson? Or how Casey Cizikas overcame some real issues to become a legit prospect and set to have a good NHL career? Even Josh Bailey, tearing up the German 2nd division, maybe he can build some confidence and take the next step in his NHL career?

Hey, NYTIMES people, set-up an alias on HF (I'd be disappointed if they haven't already) and ask Isles fans for story ideas during the lockout.

Posters on this very board are a nice mix of sadistic, creative, crazy, brilliant, frustrating, with a sprinkle of WTF - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

And the story ideas would fly!

Thoughts?
It could be worse. They could start writing about Texas Holdem championships, then when the season comes back, continue to do so, ignoring hockey all together.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Wow. Just wow. I could only read the first few paragraphs, because this article is so pointless. There's really nothing else to talk about. "Well, it appears the Islanders have some solid prospects coming up and are stepping on to the big stage that is Brooklyn, but let's find some way to knock their fans' collective **** in the dirt for the umpteenth time."

NYT decision to run this fluff is baffling.

Cry-Baby Botta was definitely the mastermind behind this gem of an article.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:30 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post

When you have a franchise with a resume as bad as the Isles in terms of bad moves, media is bound to do a story on one of them.

No matter the reason, even in the 7th round Cody Rosen was a horrible pick. If the Isles dont pick him then there is no story.

Im sure rhe media is also to blame for the Isles making another poor goalie their GM.

Blame the Isles. Blame Wang.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

My school is in the same conference as Clarkson, so when I saw Rosen on the bench I was laughing hysterically.

Seems like a genuinely nice kid.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
No matter the reason, even in the 7th round Cody Rosen was a horrible pick. If the Isles dont pick him then there is no story.
And all the while, we're still waiting to hear some journalist unearth what exactly was behind this pick and to what degree it's related to Jankowski's immediate post-draft release.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Hipster Doofus

Isles fans are cry babies. Its not even very scathing in relation to how bizarre the pick was.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Fan101

OK he's a business major and Snow said he reminds him of himself.

It's obvious, they drafted him as a future general manager.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:54 PM
leaponover

My God! Still whining about the LAST round in a draft. Amazing....Let's go back to 1975 and start crying about it, why now all of the sudden? Oh, I know, because everything is a conspiracy when it comes to the Islanders. Let's not talk about the 2007 draft where Vancouver picked a guy in the last round just so the GM could win a bet with his cousin. Geez....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Renbarg

I hate this pick now, I hated it then.

Rosen was picked after his first year in college when he only played in 1 game. He was already passed up once in the draft. Yet after playing one game at Clarkson he gets picked!? How does that make sense? Snow says he reminds him of him but that's ********. Snow came from high school, he was a star and he was a starter (I would assume). He was already drafted and sitting on Maine's bench (or pressbox) when he was the third stringer. Rosen wasn't even a starter on his OJHL team, getting beat out by a kid who was the same age. There is no reason this kid should have been drafted his draft year, let along the year after.

He's a 7th rounder, who ever else they picked would likely end up not doing anything, its just frustrating to know that there is a story there that likely will never get dug up.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
My God! Still whining about the LAST round in a draft. Amazing....Let's go back to 1975 and start crying about it, why now all of the sudden? Oh, I know, because everything is a conspiracy when it comes to the Islanders. Let's not talk about the 2007 draft where Vancouver picked a guy in the last round just so the GM could win a bet with his cousin. Geez....
Well, it'd still be nice to one day find out the exact circumstances around the picking of Rosen, regardless of what round, because it never took a rocket scientist to tell that it had nothing to do with hockey acumen.

It's the 'story' we want!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Well, it'd still be nice to one day find out the exact circumstances around the picking of Rosen, regardless of what round, because it never took a rocket scientist to tell that it had nothing to do with hockey acumen.

It's the 'story' we want!
Rosen Played this past weekend.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Rosen Played this past weekend.
FYI: I played ball hockey last tuesday, scored a bunch of goals.
#islesprospectsunite

Side note: watched Grand Rapids play yesterday, boy, does Detroit have some nice looking prospects considering they never have high picks.

Impressive: Nyquist (4th-2008), Tatar (2nd-09), B.Smith (1st-07)

Others that look promising: Jurco (2nd-2011), Sproul (2nd-11), Sheahan (1st-10) - others like Landon Ferraro and Joakim Andersson.

Amazing how many of these guys get 3-4 full AHL seasons before they play in the NHL. They are drafted and forgotten about for years.

I suppose when you're a successful NHL franchise you spend less time waiting for rescue from your farm team. Hopefully the NYI can be that team soon (if hockey comes back)

Nyquist and Brendan Smith looked great, ready for NHL play. Tatar, whom I wanted the NYI to take in 2009 (instead of Koskinen) looked really good too, albeit he's a small, all offense type player.

Maybe Rosen can be that guy one day?! (though I doubt it)

I'd just like to see the NYI spend more time developing players after they draft them. They've been doing a better job of late (with some terrible exceptions) and hopefully they'll stay committed to the slower process of surrounding these guys with enough support at the pro level to develop their game and only expose them to the NHL when they have a reasonable expectation of success.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
FYI: I played ball hockey last tuesday, scored a bunch of goals.
#islesprospectsunite

Side note: watched Grand Rapids play yesterday, boy, does Detroit have some nice looking prospects considering they never have high picks.

Impressive: Nyquist (4th-2008), Tatar (2nd-09), B.Smith (1st-07)

Others that look promising: Jurco (2nd-2011), Sproul (2nd-11), Sheahan (1st-10) - others like Landon Ferraro and Joakim Andersson.

Amazing how many of these guys get 3-4 full AHL seasons before they play in the NHL. They are drafted and forgotten about for years.

I suppose when you're a successful NHL franchise you spend less time waiting for rescue from your farm team. Hopefully the NYI can be that team soon (if hockey comes back)

Nyquist and Brendan Smith looked great, ready for NHL play. Tatar, whom I wanted the NYI to take in 2009 (instead of Koskinen) looked really good too, albeit he's a small, all offense type player.

Maybe Rosen can be that guy one day?! (though I doubt it)

I'd just like to see the NYI spend more time developing players after they draft them. They've been doing a better job of late (with some terrible exceptions) and hopefully they'll stay committed to the slower process of surrounding these guys with enough support at the pro level to develop their game and only expose them to the NHL when they have a reasonable expectation of success.
TRUST ME....you're gonna get the "9 game tryout crew" and the "let's see wat he can do" and the "he's done everything he could at that level" groups in a tizzy.

Those teams are successful because they let their kids develop. That's why successful teams can hand over the reigns to kids. We dump the reigns our kids.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Just a side note... Rosen is the 2nd worst prospect rated by Hockey's Future. The only one worse is some doof the Devils picked that decided he didn't want to play hockey anymore.

In other words, the only way to be worse than Cody Rosen is to not be a hockey player at all.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

why anyone would be surprised that a team owned by wang went wildly outside of the ranch to corale a donkey is beyond me. when it comes to hockey, this team has a history of odd choices since he bought it. at least this time it happened in the last round. sure you can say that snow made this choice on the advice of a "bird dogger" but pfffft - ownership sets the tone. whatever. we have plenty of prospects people. we need some world class SEL roster-level talent. i'd say we need NHL roster-level talent but the NHL is a joke, so is the PA for that matter.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran journeyman

I think the article goes a little overboard with how big of an issue this is to the hockey world. Makes it sound like it's some pressing topic that fans can't stop talking about and debating. Of all the things we argue about here and on other boards, I don't think Cody Rosen even registers as a warm, let alone hot topic.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:38 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

thats priceless, this squid gets drafted as a favor to somebody without a doubt. i knew it was a questionable pick, but i didnt know it was that bad.

watch, 5 yrs from now there will be a super star tearing up the league, drafted right after rosen i think garth would end up having a hit put out on him.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote